View RSS Feed

Noblejanobii

It's been a Rough Month

Rate this Entry
As some of you may have noticed, lately I've been a bit less active. I've been scrambling to get articles done and all around my posts per day is way down. There's a reason for that. Among several other things, about a month ago an incriminating document was released that condemned our Student Body vice president at my college for trespassing, theft, and sexual harassment and borderline assault. Those of you that know my college can easily read up on the situation just from googling the college's name and impeachment. But I will warn you, doing that will give you a very biased and misinformed version of the story.

I just need to get this off my chest. It's been a taxing process and it's difficult to talk about with most people so I'm just going to rant here.

So, the reason this is so significant stems from three reasons. Firstly, the Student Body VP is African American, and in the first interview in which impeachment was mentioned, he chose to make it a race issue. And while I won't deny that the release of that document (which was done illegally) probably did stem from racism, the fact that impeachment was considered I can firmly say was not. That claim put a lot of heat on people that were in favor of holding an impeachment trial and resulted in me getting called racist on quite the regular basis while walking across campus. Secondly, the incident report that was released involved another member of student government. Her name was eventually redacted but initially her name was on display as well, resulting in a lot harassment for her as well. But ultimately this was significant because for at least two hours every Monday night they were in the same room together. Thirdly, this happened right after the VP chose to sit for the Pledge of Allegiance. We say the pledge before every Senate meeting and following Trump's condemning of the NFL players for kneeling during the national anthem, the VP organized a movement where people would sit during the pledge. A week after this happens for the first time this occurs, this document gets leaked, resulting in many believing we were trying to impeach him for sitting during the pledge.

So what's the true story? Well, sadly, I can't say everything. Due to legal matters, I can't disclose every bit of information, but I'll say what I can to give you as clear as possible picture of what happened.

So back in April, right after this person was elected as VP, an incident report is filed about several incidents throughout the past year of things the VP had done against this senator. These claims involved creating a mess in her room while she wasn't there and not cleaning up, taking her vacuum without permission while she was not there and then either not returning it or hiding it to make it look like he hadn't taken it, repeatedly stealing food from their fridge without permission, and entering the room while the senator and her roommate were changing and refusing to leave along with grabbing one of them on one occasion. Some time after, like the beginning of May, this man is fired from his job as an RA, then subsequently rehired, and then later refired. The senator at some point during this process files for a no contact order (like a baby restraining order) and thinks there is one in place (only for her to find out in October that this was actually not true). During the summer, the VP is convicted of trespassing and assigned a punishment, but is not found guilty of theft and sexual harassment due to "lack of evidence". So then he sits for the pledge, the document gets released, and he starts to try to reach out to the senator, resulting in her finding out that there was not a no contact order in place. She files for the no contact order again and it gets put in place this time. The following Monday, at senate, the VP breaks Robert's Rules of procedure and tries to give a speech during his committee reports. He calls my committee chair racist then sits down and finishes his speech during announcements. During said speech he claims even considering impeachment is the equivalent of social lynching and put a picture of a lynching on screen. Afterwards, a different senator than the one that is the victim files to hear articles of impeachment. Due to a mistake in parliamentary procedure, the articles are not heard. The following Monday, fire code is enforced as the previous week a large crowd of supporters turned out to Senate and broke fire code, resulting in the fire marshall ripping the Senate President a new one. Senate gets labeled as racist for enforcing fire code. Articles of impeachment are filed for again and heard this time. The Senate votes to go into an impeachment trial in two weeks. The trial was this past Monday. I can't discuss anything that happened during the trial, but the whole thing ended up lasting eleven hours and resulting in a vote of 42 in favor of impeachment, 16 in opposition, and 6 abstains. Now before you rejoice or despair, please note that he has not been impeached, as 44 votes in favor were required to impeach him.

There's way more to this story that legally I cannot disclose, but I will say this, I'm so mad at this outcome. I can't say why, but I'm legitimately furious. And there's nothing we can do about this. We can't impeach him again, so we're just stuck with him in office until April, at which point he might run for Student Body President and make the situation even worse because he's successfully united the college against the senate because he decided to make this entire thing about race when that wasn't why we were impeaching him. If it had been the Senate President that had done those same things, I'd be in favor of impeaching him too. It's just so stupid!

Anyway, that's my speech, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Submit "It's been a Rough Month" to Digg Submit "It's been a Rough Month" to del.icio.us Submit "It's been a Rough Month" to StumbleUpon Submit "It's been a Rough Month" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Rants

Comments

Wow that sounds really stressful on top of your actual classes and stuff. :( I can't imagine how frustrating it must be trying to deal with people like that. What an *** for trying to make it about race and not standing for the anthem. It's crazy you need that many people to impeach him... he is really supposed to help lead and stuff when 44/64 people don't support him? Weird.
    I don't get people who don't stand for the national anthem. Respect the country or move elsewhere. Plenty of other countries to choose from if you don't like it here! Of course those NFL peeps would have a tough time finding a career.

The race card also gets played way too many times to leverage power and control in cases where it's totally irrelevant. Problem is the courts have allowed this to happen and now it's the new culture. And some people are using it not for racial equality but for racial supremacy. "Oh, you don't agree with me and you're not doing everything I say? That's racist!" This is the new version of "you're communist!" And it really needs to stop.
    This is a subject that really annoys me. I really despise those that get offended everyone time you bring up race in a conversation, no matter what the context is. I can understand your situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur
    This is a subject that really annoys me. I really despise those that get offended everyone time you bring up race in a conversation, no matter what the context is. I can understand your situation.
    Yeah I seriously don't want to work with him anymore. He and his Defense Squad are so blinded by race they can't see that someone was being sexually harassed. Because race rights now outweigh women's rights apparently. What is this the 1800s?

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga
    I don't get people who don't stand for the national anthem. Respect the country or move elsewhere. Plenty of other countries to choose from if you don't like it here! Of course those NFL peeps would have a tough time finding a career.

The race card also gets played way too many times to leverage power and control in cases where it's totally irrelevant. Problem is the courts have allowed this to happen and now it's the new culture. And some people are using it not for racial equality but for racial supremacy. "Oh, you don't agree with me and you're not doing everything I say? That's racist!" This is the new version of "you're communist!" And it really needs to stop.
    Personally I don't either but it is protected under Free Speech so they can do what they want. I don't are.

Seriously. It's become a trump card for so many people and you can't do anything about it once it's been played without looking like an ***.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah
    Wow that sounds really stressful on top of your actual classes and stuff. :( I can't imagine how frustrating it must be trying to deal with people like that. What an *** for trying to make it about race and not standing for the anthem. It's crazy you need that many people to impeach him... he is really supposed to help lead and stuff when 44/64 people don't support him? Weird.
    Yeah no doubt I lost a ton of motivation to do stuff. It's why I didn't finish my halloween story on time. And yeah we needed 2/3 or 67% to impeach him and we had 65% so that says a lot. I think he's going to take this in stride and use it against us whenever possible.
    The not having the required 2/3 supermajority for impeachment that you've gone through kind of reminds me of how the Michigan House of Representatives couldn't get enough votes to expel disgraced representatives Todd Courser and Cindy Gamrat, who were involved in a major (and not to mention highly publicized) sex scandal and used taxpayer resources to cover up their extramarital affair. After two failed vote attempts, the third to expel Gamrat (Courser had resigned shortly before the third roll call vote) was successful only after a deal was made with many of those representatives that refused to vote on the first two attempts to allow the Michigan State Police and Attorney General to conduct an independent investigation into the Courser/Gamrat affair and cover-up.