View RSS Feed

Noblejanobii

Hacia Portugal and the Vineyard

Rate this Entry
Since Cleo posted her travel update I decided why not post another of mine. This'll be shorter since there isn't much that I've done since last time.

The major place I've visited recently is Lisbon, Portugal. I met with my dad and one of his coworkers there and it was a nice relaxing trip. My mom coordinated a bunch of places we could go to while we were visiting. We got to visit Saint George's castle, the Santa Justa Lift, several monuments, among other things. I also got offered weed at one point which was a moment of funny whiplash. I think my favorite thing to visit during the trip was the art museum. It's a contemporary and modern art museum so it was a bit weird, but I enjoyed it nonetheless as to my surprise it was the home of the infamous Lobster Phone by Salvador Dali. It was also free entry that day which was nice. And I got to see some Andy Warhol and Francis Bacon in person for the first time, which was really cool for me. Saint George's castle was also super cool because we got to see a model working trebuchet, I got to practice my Spanish comprehension, and there were peacocks everywhere! They were very friendly too so they got up real close. You'll see just how close in the pictures below. But overall, just getting to see my dad again was really nice. Even though I haven't missed my family a ton since I've been here, it was great getting to hang out and relax with him again, and it was hard to say goodbye to him when we had to party ways. He had to head to Evora (another city) for work so I spent my last night in Lisbon without him. But that didn't mean I was alone though! My college's Model UN team also happened to be in town for the visit so I had dinner with them my last night there and it was great to see all of them again too. Downside, they kept me out until almost midnight when I had to be up at 5 AM for my flight the next day. Upside, we got free tequila shots. I'd say the pros outweigh the cons in this case. Some highlights below.
Spoiler:

(That's my dad in the orange shirt on the right)

This weekend didn't lack any adventure either as today I got to visit one of the oldest Spanish vineyards. The trip was only a few hours but we got to sample lots of sweet white wines which was a lot of fun. I knocked back about six glasses of the stuff since I looove sweet white wines. My mom does too so I'm hoping she likes the wine I bought her. And if she doesn't I bought my favorite of the ones I sampled so I'll just take it.

But either way that's all for now. My Ireland trip is on the horizon though so stay tuned for that.

Submit "Hacia Portugal and the Vineyard" to Digg Submit "Hacia Portugal and the Vineyard" to del.icio.us Submit "Hacia Portugal and the Vineyard" to StumbleUpon Submit "Hacia Portugal and the Vineyard" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

TIL: Lobster phone is a real thing. I'll be honest, I didn't know it existed until now, but it's a interesting hybrid of things.

Nifty stuff! You definitely take a lot of nice pictures of structures and monuments I've never seen or have known about before, so thanks for sharing those! And while I'm not really a wine guy, it's interesting to try a bunch to see how they all compare.

Enjoy Ireland! My brother and I kind of had thoughts of visiting there, but those plans kind of fell through when we both got busy with work and school. Maybe sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga
    TIL: Lobster phone is a real thing. I'll be honest, I didn't know it existed until now, but it's a interesting hybrid of things.

Nifty stuff! You definitely take a lot of nice pictures of structures and monuments I've never seen or have known about before, so thanks for sharing those! And while I'm not really a wine guy, it's interesting to try a bunch to see how they all compare.

Enjoy Ireland! My brother and I kind of had thoughts of visiting there, but those plans kind of fell through when we both got busy with work and school. Maybe sometime.
    It's Salvador Dali's works, they're all strange hybrids of everything. The Lobster Phone is particularly famous because there's supposedly only like 11 in existence, five with color and six without, this being one of the ones without. The story goes it was created by Salvador Dalí ifor the English poet Edward James who was a known leading collector of surrealist art. So the piece(s) have a bit of a cult following as a result.

I take a lot of photos of architecture and such in general, way too many to post here. I just want to make sure I can remember how everything looks. It's all just so pretty! And yeah I really like wines, more than anything else, so getting to sample several wines was a lot of fun for me!

I'm really looking forward to it. I was hoping we could go to London too but with Brexit and everything my friends didn't really want to mess with it. But even so I know Ireland will be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii
    It's Salvador Dali's works, they're all strange hybrids of everything. The Lobster Phone is particularly famous because there's supposedly only like 11 in existence, five with color and six without, this being one of the ones without. The story goes it was created by Salvador Dalí ifor the English poet Edward James who was a known leading collector of surrealist art. So the piece(s) have a bit of a cult following as a result.

I take a lot of photos of architecture and such in general, way too many to post here. I just want to make sure I can remember how everything looks. It's all just so pretty! And yeah I really like wines, more than anything else, so getting to sample several wines was a lot of fun for me!

I'm really looking forward to it. I was hoping we could go to London too but with Brexit and everything my friends didn't really want to mess with it. But even so I know Ireland will be fun.
    Yeah, I've heard of Salvador Dali, especially the melting clock thing, but the Lobster Phone was new to me.

I agree, architecture can be art in itself. I know when I was visiting France and Belgium, I took so many pictures I'm surprised my phone didn't get lit aflame. And when it comes to wine, it's funny how one red wine can taste completely different from another one. I remember there was one wine tour I went on and after almost a dozen samples, I wasn't crazy about any of it, but then during a food truck festival at a winery, there were no other alcoholic drinks other than the wine. Decided to give one of their red wines one more try and wow, it was great!

I've heard Ireland is very green. I've only seen it in pictures but it looks amazing. I'm kind of jelly right now, but I'm looking forward to reading about your adventure there and seeing your pictures! :3
    Oooooooh Ireland! Sounds like you gonna have a great time! Kinda felt like going there one day. It just sounds like a really nice place to visit with some interesting historical sites too.

I swear....EVERY TIME I hear another type of "phone" I think of that Banana Phone song.....what even xD.
    LOBSTER PHONE!

Ahahaha that is amazing. And that picture of a peacock is awesome! Sounds like you have had some great times! Enjoy Ireland!
    @Noblejanobii Thank you for the update and the pictures! I'm glad to hear that you had fun in Portugal and in the vineyard. Enjoy your trip to Ireland! :D
    Lmao you got offered weed! xD Love it. All your photos are awesome! :D I love the one of all the statue dudes with the nice sky in the background. And omg, peacock! Adorable! 8D Sounds like you're having a wonderful time. Even better that you got to meet up with your dad!

Gurl you are getting around! Looks like you're having a blast though. ^-^ Definitely keep us updated on Ireland!
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire
    Lmao you got offered weed! xD Love it. All your photos are awesome! :D I love the one of all the statue dudes with the nice sky in the background. And omg, peacock! Adorable! 8D Sounds like you're having a wonderful time. Even better that you got to meet up with your dad!

Gurl you are getting around! Looks like you're having a blast though. ^-^ Definitely keep us updated on Ireland!
    It was the wildest thing man I haven't had that happen since high school. Ahh brings back memories. And that moment was really cool! It's called the Monument to Discovery! It's dedicated to Henry the Navigator, who if I read the plaque right (it was in Portuguese which is close to Spanish but only so much that I understood maybe 50% of what it was saying) and remember my history correctly, he laid the foundation for the discovery of the southern tip of Africa, proving the continent could be circumvented and did a lot to help Portugal's trade economy. So it was a really cool monument to say the least since apparently it was a gift from South Africa. But yeah it was a great time overall! My dad even sent me a couple pictures yesterday of us hanging out together which was cool.

Europe is ridiculously cheap to travel around sometimes man. Especially compared to any travel in the US to no surprise of any American. My parents have already made plans for me to travel even more once finals are over which is going to be so cool but I won't spoil those locations just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleobel
    @Noblejanobii Thank you for the update and the pictures! I'm glad to hear that you had fun in Portugal and in the vineyard. Enjoy your trip to Ireland! :D
    Thank you! I will!

Quote Originally Posted by Scytherwolf
    LOBSTER PHONE!

Ahahaha that is amazing. And that picture of a peacock is awesome! Sounds like you have had some great times! Enjoy Ireland!
    The peacocks got sooo close to us! That particular one stole someone's sandwich too at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster
    Oooooooh Ireland! Sounds like you gonna have a great time! Kinda felt like going there one day. It just sounds like a really nice place to visit with some interesting historical sites too.

I swear....EVERY TIME I hear another type of "phone" I think of that Banana Phone song.....what even xD.
    Yeah my friends and I are going to be seeing some big historical sites. I'm really hoping we get to pop by Oscar Wilde's house while we're in Dublin. None of my friends know who he is and I gotta educate them about one of the gayest playwrights to ever live.

Hahaha amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga
    Yeah, I've heard of Salvador Dali, especially the melting clock thing, but the Lobster Phone was new to me.

I agree, architecture can be art in itself. I know when I was visiting France and Belgium, I took so many pictures I'm surprised my phone didn't get lit aflame. And when it comes to wine, it's funny how one red wine can taste completely different from another one. I remember there was one wine tour I went on and after almost a dozen samples, I wasn't crazy about any of it, but then during a food truck festival at a winery, there were no other alcoholic drinks other than the wine. Decided to give one of their red wines one more try and wow, it was great!

I've heard Ireland is very green. I've only seen it in pictures but it looks amazing. I'm kind of jelly right now, but I'm looking forward to reading about your adventure there and seeing your pictures! :3
    You should look up more of his works he's got some wacky stuff and some hilarious drama in his life.

Lisbon's architecture is so interesting too since most of the city had to be rebuilt not that long ago. And while little trolleys everywhere it is such a cute town that I loved taking pictures of. Yeah wines can all be very unique and such. All the wines we sampled were white wines they just varied by age if that makes sense. The older they were the sweeter they were which I was all for!

Yeah I can't wait to see it! It's the land of my ancestors after all.
    Looks like you're having a great time and seeing lots of really cool stuff! Looking forward to your next update!