View RSS Feed

Noblejanobii

Semana Santa

Rate this Entry
So last week was Semana Santa, or Holy Week. Semana Santa is a huuuuuggeeee celebration in Spain, and Sevilla is no exception from the festivities. They have floats and music and special foods and more! It's a huge large scale collaboration between all the churches and brotherhoods in the city.

So first up as part of my volunteering a few weeks ago I got to help with the preparations by cleaning some of the guide lamps that would appear on the floats, or Pasos, during Semana Santa. They're made of Platinum so I had to be careful when polishing them. But it was a lot of fun! A very interesting experience and now I know how to polish things. It was even more fun when I saw them on one of the pasos later! No idea if they're the ones I polished but it was still cool.
Spoiler:

Then throughout Semana Santa at different times they had the Pasos. They're unique to every church that makes them, depicting different scenes from Jesus' life or different important figures such as the Virgin Mary.
Spoiler:

People carry them as a right of passage in the church. It's a huge deal to be what's known as a Costalero, or a bearer of the Pasos. It's a huge deal but since the pasos are very heavy, the costaleros are changed periodically. And they do so by having singers on balconies along the routes that serenade the pasos while the costaleros are changed out.

All in all I don't have much to say about this other than it was a beautiful experience and a lot of fun!

Submit "Semana Santa" to Digg Submit "Semana Santa" to del.icio.us Submit "Semana Santa" to StumbleUpon Submit "Semana Santa" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

@Noblejanobii Thank you for the update and the pictures! You look like a scientist when you polish the guide lamps. xD
    Looks like you're continuing to have a blast!

Always is kind of curious. To see how certain holiday's or historical events happened and are celebrated in other countries. Just like with history. There's our side (United States) and there's another country's. Somehow, they seem to have slight differences.

It is odd how things need to be polished. Certain things take a very gentle touch and some more rough. Each one takes a little different care to it depending on the object.

To see Samana Santa must have been nice! I'm guessing (without looking it up) it was for Easter? Just less bunny, and more based around what happened one that day in Christianity. Glad to see you're still having an awesome experience!
    Platinum? Dang, that's more valuable than gold right there. XD

Thanks for the nifty and interesting update! And as always, keep that great photogenic smile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga
    Platinum? Dang, that's more valuable than gold right there. XD

Thanks for the nifty and interesting update! And as always, keep that great photogenic smile!
    Yeah I know! Probably the most expensive thing I've ever touched.

Thanks! I will!

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster
    Looks like you're continuing to have a blast!

Always is kind of curious. To see how certain holiday's or historical events happened and are celebrated in other countries. Just like with history. There's our side (United States) and there's another country's. Somehow, they seem to have slight differences.

It is odd how things need to be polished. Certain things take a very gentle touch and some more rough. Each one takes a little different care to it depending on the object.

To see Samana Santa must have been nice! I'm guessing (without looking it up) it was for Easter? Just less bunny, and more based around what happened one that day in Christianity. Glad to see you're still having an awesome experience!
    Yeah so Semana Santa, or Holy Week, is the lead up to Easter Sunday. It's not very big in the US because US is not a predominantly Catholic country so other than churches holding like small festivals and such, there's not a lot that is celebrated. But in Spain and a lot of South American countries like Peru and Chile, Semana Santa is a HUGE deal. And because of its religious association it's less commercialized. That's not to say they don't have their own commercialized holidays, since Feria is in two weeks and that is definitely a commercialized holiday, but Semana Santa itself is more about church and religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleobel
    @Noblejanobii Thank you for the update and the pictures! You look like a scientist when you polish the guide lamps. xD
    Haha thank you!