View RSS Feed

Noblejanobii

We made a movie trailer!

Rate this Entry
This is my last blog until after finals I swear. Just really proud of this and wanted to show it off.

I took a film class this past semester and our final project was to make a trailer for a film based on one of the genres we had studied. We chose comedy/drama. Unfortunately, my group was a bunch of procrastinators who don't know how to edit to save their lives so I was stuck editing this entire thing together the night before it was due. I spent six or seven hours editing and it was finished at 4 AM. All in all though, I think I did a pretty good job. It's been a while since I last used Premiere so it was cool to re-familiarize myself with it.

Now, 20/20 hindsight, there are several things I'd have done differently. The audio is not great in some places because we filmed outside and I'd like to have done something different with the text slides. Like add an animation or something.

Now that being said, the video is entirely in Spanish because I'm studying in Spain. So to help my non-Spanish speakers out, I'm giving you guys like a brief overview below of what everyone is saying. It won't be one to one but it'll be close enough that you can understand what's going on. For your reference, Valentina is the protagonist and is played by the African American girl. Fernando is the "king bee" of the school and is played by the only guy. I play Rocio, and I'm in the jean jacket and red flannel. And the other girl with the curly brown hair is playing Maria.

Your "captions"
Spoiler:
[Intro sequence]

First text card reads: Moving to a new school is always hard

Valentina: I am Valentina. I'm 14 and I'm new to Sevilla. My parents are doctors from Colombia but we moved here to escape the governmental problems. Something about being excited to do things here (idk she improved this part so it's not in the original script). Today is my first day of high school.

Second text card: But moving to another continent is even more stressful

Rocio: Looking at the new girl, I heard she's from Colombia.

Maria: Let's ask her if she has some connection to the Colombian cartel.

Fernando: Maria, that's stupid! I'll take care of her.

Third text card: It can be a jungle for those unprepared.

Teacher (voice over): Okay! It's the first day of class! Let's share some information about ourselves.

Valentina: Um, I'll go. Hello, my name is Valentina, I'm from Colombia-

Maria: If you're from Colombia, why are you black?

Fernando: Mother Mary, Maria! I'm so sorry, Valentina. She is just a little stupid.

Fourth text card: In the jungle, lions are kings.

Fernando: -clears his throat- I am Fernando Juan Julio de Macarena Montoya Clemente. I am the king of the school.

Rocio: Yes and his dad owns half of the English Court, seven bars, and he has a mountain of unlimited croquettes (Spanish food) in his house!

Valentina voice over: Maria Guadalquivir Juste? I heard that she goes to all the free soccer games because she goes out with one of the players and now, he is obsessed with her. Also, I heard that Ricky Martin is his second cousin.

Valentina voice over: And that is Rocío. She is always concerned about Fernando's well-being and is very insecure. People say that her mother was a famous flamenco dancer and that Rocío and Penelope Cruz are best friends.

Fifth text card: (can't remember exactly) They travel in packs and stalk their prey.

Fernando: By the way, I love your shoes, Valentina!

Valentina: Oh! Thank you very much!

Fernando: In reality, I hate her shoes.

Sixth text card: And attack when they are most vulnerable

Valentina: Hi all! I just bought some juice from the cafeteria.

Maria: You just bought what?

Rocio: Oh my god! She just said "juice"!

Fernando: I do not know what you said in Latin America, but it's JUICE!*

(*Note, this joke does not translate. In Latin America they use the word "jugo" for juice while in Spain they said "zumo". So it's like elevator versus lift, etc. in English.)

Valentina: [censored], I'm sorry ... well, can I sit with all of you?

Fernando: Oh no you can't sit with us.

Seventh title card: And when they strike...

Valentina: You do not know who I am, but you're about to find out!

Eighth title card: Prepare to fight back!

Submit "We made a movie trailer!" to Digg Submit "We made a movie trailer!" to del.icio.us Submit "We made a movie trailer!" to StumbleUpon Submit "We made a movie trailer!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

@Noblejanobii Thank you for this blog entry and this video, and good luck with your finals!
    Congratulations on making a movie trailer! I find it very funny. You are a great actress, and I also like the fact that one of the characters has the same name as me.
    You were, by far, the best actor in this. :3 Now this is something I'd love to do and be in a movie trainer thingy, but I just never went into that kind of area. But hey, I'm glad you had the chance to enjoy something like this!

Good luck with your finals!

@Cleobel @Neo Emolga

Haha thank you both. I'm definitely not the best actress but I'm a half decent editor, no? And thanks for the good luck. I'm going to need it.
    @Noblejanobii In my opinion, you are both a great actress and a great editor. :D
    This is great! XD I enjoyed it, even if I didn't understand a word of it hehe. Man I wish I could speak Spanish. You did an awesome job. :3