View RSS Feed

Cleobel

Melbourne travel journal - Part 1

Rate this Entry
Hello everybody! As you already know, I am currently on holiday in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. My stay here has been great so far! I met @Chibi Altaria, @Desolate Divine, @Pokemon Trainer Sarah and @Suicune's Fire for the first time and I love spending time with them because they are wonderful friends. :D Here is the first part of my travel journal :

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 :

Spoiler:
I landed at Melbourne airport, took my first steps into Australia, got through immigration and collected my checked luggage. Shortly afterwards, I met up with Jacob and Xanthe in front of the Optus store. I immediately recognised Xanthe thanks to her fringe and reddish hair. I was very happy to meet my friends.

While Jacob kept an eye on my luggage, Xanthe helped me purchase an Australian SIM card. Unfortunately, it was not compatible with my old Nokia phone. As a result, we got into Jacobís car and we went to his workplace because he thought that there might be a spare phone there.

In the car, I enjoyed talking with my friends, although Jacobís accent is more difficult to understand than Xantheís in my opinion. I also enjoyed being in a car that drives on the left side of the road.

Once we arrived at Jacobís workplace, he started looking for a spare phone, while Xanthe and I had an interesting conversation about shiny hunting. As there was no spare phone there, we had to look for one elsewhere. Before we left Jacobís workplace, I went to the toilet. It was my first Australian toilet experience.

Then, we went to Xantheís house. Thatís where I saw her awesome bedroom, her parents and her cat Misty. Xanthe and her parents decided to lend me a phone and its charger for the duration of my stay in Melbourne. Thatís very nice of them.

After leaving Xantheís house, we went to the supermarket Coles. My friends helped me buy some food and Xanthe gave me useful advice regarding vegan food. Then, she helped me buy "something that Jacob wonít use", as I said. I really appreciated my friendsí help.

After I paid for the purchases, we went to my Airbnb. I got the keys and the Wi-Fi password from a woman at the reception. Then, we went into the apartment. Thatís where I gave presents to my friends : rainbow socks for Xanthe and a small car toy for Jacob. They both thanked me for the gifts. Afterwards, Xanthe told me how to use the phone.

As my friends would not be available on the following day, we agreed to meet up again two days later. We wished each other a good night and a good day afterwards and my friends left the Airbnb. Finally, I had a short text message conversation with Xanthe later in the evening.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 :

Spoiler:
For breakfast, I ate coconut yoghurt, some bread and a banana. I really enjoyed that food.
In the morning, I went to Melbourne Central. It is a shopping centre with a train station. I took some pictures there and on the way to go there.

When I was there, I explored the shopping centre and I wanted to buy a gift for Sarah. Unfortunately, there was loud music in the shopping centre. As I started feeling sensory overloaded, I forced myself to stay there until I found a present for Sarah.

I ended up buying two Poke Ball plushies at EB Games. The Net Ball plush would be Sarahís gift because Archen is a Flying-type Pokemon. The Quick Ball plush would be an extra gift for Gemma because she deserves to be spoiled on her birthday and I hope she will recover quickly.

When I left Melbourne Central, I had sensory overload, painful breathing and I wanted to cry. I cried as soon as I was back in the apartment. A bit later, as I had not recovered yet, I had a text message conversation with Xanthe, mostly about my time in Melbourne Central. She was sorry about what happened and I appreciated her support.

My lunch consisted of falafels, mixed vegetables, some bread and a banana. As I realised that there was no microwave in the apartment, I ate the falafels straight out of the fridge and the vegetables straight out of the freezer. Aside from that, I enjoyed the lunch.

In the afternoon, I did some breathing exercises, I went to PXR and I shiny hunted Combee in Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 (with the Repel Trick and a male Pokemon with Cute Charm at the front of the party in order to try for a female shiny Combee). I also chatted with Sarah and Jacob on Facebook.

For dinner, I ate mixed vegetables, some bread, some tofu and a banana. This time, I didnít eat the vegetables straight out of the freezer because I had put them in the fridge for a while before having dinner. That was not as good as using a microwave, but definitely better than eating frozen vegetables. The rest of the dinner was delicious.

In the evening, I shiny hunted Combee again and I chatted with Jacob on Facebook. When I told him about my day, he was sorry to hear about my sensory overload. I appreciated his support. He also informed me that we were going to spend time with Xanthe, Gemma and Sarah in the city on the following day, which was great. Jacob told me that he would let me know the details on the following morning.

Friday, July 19, 2019 :

Spoiler:
For breakfast, I ate soy yoghurt, some bread and a banana. I didnít like the yoghurt because it was too sweet in my opinion. The rest of the meal was delicious.

In the morning, I got a text message from Jacob. He told me that the PXR Aussies would meet me at my Airbnb at 12:30 PM, which was great. Before they arrived, I shiny hunted Combee again. I also had a text message conversation with Xanthe : she offered to bring me her onesie, so that I wouldnít feel cold at night. It was very kind of her.

I happily met up with Jacob and Xanthe in front of my Airbnb. Then, we walked to the University of Melbourne and Xanthe gave me noise-reducing earplugs, which was really nice of her. While we were waiting for Sarah, we took a selfie. Unfortunately, Gemma couldnít join us on that day.

When Sarah arrived, I was very happy to meet her. Then, we went to a nearby restaurant. During our walk, we saw a baby possum, which was very cute.

As there was loud music in the restaurant and the noise-reducing earplugs were not very effective, I chose something to eat, let my friends order it for me and waited for them outside in the meantime. As Xanthe ordered a vegan burrito, I chose that as well. I really appreciated the fact that my friends ordered it for me and that Sarah paid for the lunch.

Unfortunately, I didnít like the vegan burrito because it was spicy and there was a weird sauce in it. So, I gave it to Xanthe. Then, Sarah went to Subway with me and helped me order a vegan sandwich without any sauce or spices. I am very thankful for her help and the sandwich was delicious.

After lunch, we walked together for a while and I gave Sarah her present. She really liked the Net Ball plush, which is great. Then, we took a selfie before Sarah had to go.

Afterwards, Xanthe, Jacob and I went to Seven Eleven in order to buy a Myki card for me. I also bought some veggie sushi there. It was very kind of my friends to help me get a Myki card. Soon after that, Jacob had to go.

Then, Xanthe and I walked to Melbourne Flinders station. On the way to go there, I enjoyed talking with her, we found out that the veggie sushi unfortunately wasnít vegan, I decided to keep it anyway in order not to waste food, and we visited a few stores. There were many people walking in that busy street.

When we reached the station, my fantastic Flareon friend showed me a bridge that goes over the Yarra river, a nearby park, as well as the station itself. Thatís when she explained me how to use the Myki card. I really appreciate her help.

Then, in order to go back to my Airbnb, we took a tram together. The seats in the tram were very comfortable. We got off the tram at Melbourne Central and we walked to my Airbnb while talking to each other.

When we arrived at my Airbnb, Xanthe lent me her onesie and two Pikachu T-shirts that are too small for her : she told me that I could keep the T-shirts if I liked them. I thanked her for everything and I told her that I would try the T-shirts later.

After another nice conversation, mostly about ideas of activities for the following days, Xanthe showed me how to use the apartmentís key because it was difficult for me to use it. I really appreciated her help. Then, at 4 PM, she had to go.

I had a wonderful day with my friends. Sarahís accent is pretty easy to understand in my opinion, just like Xantheís accent. While I was with Xanthe, I asked her for more hugs in addition to the hello hug and the goodbye hug, because she is very good at hugs and I really enjoy hugs with her. Fortunately, she accepted my request. However, I didnít like being touched by her unexpectedly during our conversations. But thatís not her fault because she didnít know that it made me uncomfortable, as I had not said anything about that.

During the rest of the afternoon, I didnít shiny hunt because I didnít have any new video to watch while shiny hunting. So, I sent the photo of Sarah, Jacob, Xanthe and myself to my friends, because I was the one who took it. Then, I explored the Internet for a while.

For dinner, I ate the veggie sushi and the rest of the Subway sandwich. In addition to not being vegan, the veggie sushi was not even good. Fortunately, the sandwich was still delicious.

In the evening, I tried Xantheís T-shirts and onesie. They suit me perfectly. I informed Xanthe about that and she was glad to hear that.

Saturday, July 20, 2019 :

Spoiler:
For breakfast, I ate soy yoghurt, some bread and a banana. Once again, I didnít like the yoghurt because it was too sweet for me. The rest of the meal was delicious.

In the morning, I got a text message from Xanthe. She told me that the PXR Aussies would meet me at my Airbnb at 12:15 PM, which was great. Before they arrived, I shiny hunted Combee again and I exchanged some text messages with Xanthe and Sarah.

Among other things, I let Xanthe know that being touched during our conversations made me feel uncomfortable. I didnít tell her about this sooner because I didnít know how and when to do that. She apologised, she explained that itís part of her standard non-verbal communication and she told me that she wouldnít do that again. I thanked her and we agreed that I would tell her about things that make me uncomfortable, even if I think itís an awkward time, because she doesnít want me to be uncomfortable. She certainly isnít a bad person. I am thankful to have such a thoughtful and caring friend.

When my friends arrived in front of my Airbnb, I was really happy to see Jacob and Xanthe again and to meet Gemma for the first time. Gemma is very good at hugs, just like Xanthe. I think that her accent can be quite difficult to understand, though.

Then, we went into my apartment in order to do some planning for the following days. Once the planning was done, Xanthe sent it to me.

Afterwards, we walked together and we visited two stores that sell Pokemon merchandise, among other things. We took a short break during our walk in order to relax and take a selfie together.
In the first store, there were very fluffy Pokemon plushies, but they were very expensive because they came from Japan. Thatís where Xanthe noticed an Eevee plush and wondered if it had a nose. Eventually, she found the nose and I said : "Itís okay, itís not going to choke". Then, Xanthe said to the plushie : "Breathe! Breathe!". That was a very funny moment.
In the second store, while Gemma and Jacob were looking at non-Pokemon stuff, I talked with Xanthe about Gemmaís presents. My fantastic Flareon friend suggested that I could give her the seal plushie later that day and the Quick Ball plushie on her birthday, which was a good idea. I really hope that our awesome Altaria friend didnít hear us. Soon after that, I bought a Pikachu notebook in that store.

At the end of the walk, we reached Flinders station and we bought some food there. Xanthe and I went to Lord of the Fries, a vegan fast food chain, while Jacob and Gemma went somewhere else. I decided to eat a vegan burger with a Beyond Burger patty, vegan cheese and some vegetables, but no sauce. Xanthe ordered it for me, which was very nice of her, and she ordered a vegan burger for herself as well.

As Gemma and Jacob arrived with their food before ours was ready, I decided to give Gemma her present in the meantime. So, I searched for the seal plush in my bag, while making sure that I didnít accidentally reveal the Quick Ball plush. Fortunately, Xanthe knew exactly what I was trying to do and told Gemma to go somewhere else. Thanks to Xantheís ability to read my thoughts, I was able to search for the seal plush and to find it. When Gemma came back, I gave it to her. She really liked the gift and gave me a hug.

When the vegan burgers were ready, we went to Federation Square and ate together there. My lunch was delicious. There were a few seagulls around us and they were rude. Xanthe said that they have no manners.

After lunch, Jacob had to go. Then, Gemma, Xanthe and I washed our hands together in a public bathroom. The tap was very strange, but not having to touch many things in that public bathroom was great.

After washing our hands, we tried to take a tram, but we had to get off it sooner than expected because there was a problem with the trams. Then, we walked together until we could take another tram.

When I got on the tram, touching on with my Myki card was difficult, which triggered a panic attack for me. As soon as I managed to touch on, I sat down with my friends and Xanthe noticed that I was having a panic attack. Thatís when my fantastic Flareon friend told me to "breathe in, hold it and breathe out". She breathed deeply and slowly with me for a while. Gemma also did the deep breathing exercise with us. This deep breathing method helped me feel better and Gemma said that she was "relaxed and ready to go to bed". It was very nice of my friends to help me calm down as I was having a panic attack.

After getting off the tram, we walked back to my Airbnb. In the evening, Xanthe was going to have a party, while Gemma was going to watch a movie. We were going to see each other again two days later. I thanked them for everything, I wished them a nice evening and I looked forward to seeing them again soon. I had just had a wonderful day with them.

During the rest of the afternoon, I explored the Internet, I wrote, I sent the selfie to my friends and Gemma told me that she was not going to watch the movie on that day because they were sold out.

For dinner, I ate mixed vegetables, the rest of the falafels, some bread and an apple. It was not bad, but the vegetables and the falafels would have been better if there was a microwave in the apartment.

Before going to bed, I exchanged a few text messages with Sarah.

Sunday, July 21, 2019 :

Spoiler:
For breakfast, I ate soy yoghurt, some bread and an apple. Once again, I didnít like the yoghurt because it was too sweet for me. The rest of the meal was delicious.

In the morning, Jacob told me that he was not going to the pool bar on that day. So, I was not going to see any of my friends on that day and I had to do things on my own.

I decided to go to the Royal Botanic Gardens, as Sarah had suggested to me. I walked down along the Yarra river, but I ended up not going all the way to the Royal Botanic Gardens because a busy road with many cars scared me and I was starting to get tired. So, I walked back to my Airbnb. Walking down along the river was very peaceful and gave me some inspiration to write a birthday song for Gemma. During my walk, I took many pictures, I purchased a T-shirt "I love Melbourne Australia" in a store, and I heard the Toreador music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1m1_oUOI-k), which was very nice.

When I got back to my apartment, I had lunch. I ate mixed vegetables, some tofu, some bread and an apple. The vegetables would have been better if I had access to a microwave, while the rest of the lunch was very good.

In the afternoon, I finished writing Gemmaís birthday song. Then, I exchanged text messages with Xanthe. She told me that her party was fun, but that she was not feeling well after the party and that we would not see each other on the following day because she needed another day to herself. I was sorry to hear that my fantastic Flareon friend was not feeling well and I asked Gemma if we were still going to spend time together on the following day, although Xanthe would not be present. Afterwards, I sent Gemmaís birthday song to Xanthe, who told me that she would read it later and that we would go to the wildlife sanctuary on the next Sunday with Sarah, Gemma and Jacob. That was a very good thing.

After this conversation, I shiny hunted Combee for the rest of the afternoon because the French Youtuber and shiny hunter MaÓtre Armand had posted a new, very long video during the previous night (Melbourne time).

My dinner consisted of the same ingredients as my lunch. So, I finished the mixed vegetables and the tofu.

In the evening, I exchanged more messages with Xanthe. Among other things, she read Gemmaís birthday song and approved it, which is great. So, I was hoping that Gemma would also like it. Then, I thanked Sarah for suggesting that I could go to the Royal Botanic Gardens, and I told her about my burst of inspiration. As for Gemma, she told me that she needed a rest day on the following day. Afterwards, I wrote about my day before going to bed.

Monday, July 22, 2019 :

Spoiler:
For breakfast, I ate soy yoghurt, some bread and an apple. Once again, I didnít like the yoghurt because it was too sweet for me, but at least I finished it. The rest of the meal was delicious.

As soon as I was ready, I went to Coles. I bought bread, bananas and almonds, as well as tomatoes and baby cucumbers (because they donít require cooking or heating and they are easy to prepare). I also bought coconut yoghurt again because I liked it when I tried it. I wanted to try another brand of soy yoghurt, but I didnít find any, so I bought some almond yoghurt instead. I didnít know that almond yoghurt existed until I saw it at Coles. Finally, I bought dishwashing sponges and dishwashing liquid : there werenít any in my Airbnb and the room service person had not visited my apartment for the entire weekend, so the dirty dishes were accumulating. When I was back to my Airbnb, I stored my purchases and I washed the dishes.

Later in the morning, I exchanged text messages with Xanthe : among other things, she told me which present she was going to give to Gemma for her birthday, and I told her that I was going to practice singing Gemmaís birthday song because practice leads to improvement (I donít like to say that practice makes perfect because thatís not true). I also explored the Internet for a while.

For lunch, I ate vegan curry, some bread, some almonds and an apple. I didnít like the curry because it was both frozen and spicy, but I enjoyed the rest of the lunch.

In the afternoon, I practiced singing Gemmaís birthday song and I shiny hunted Combee. In the late afternoon, Xanthe informed me that we were going to have a Pokemon day in my Airbnb on the following day, and that Gemma would participate in it, unless she felt too sore to come, because she had been having a sore throat. I looked forward to the Pokemon day, but I was sorry to hear about Gemmaís sore throat and sent her a message. I was hoping that she would be able to come to the Pokemon day. Then, Xanthe told me that her stomach had been upset all day long. I was also sorry to hear that.

My dinner consisted of lentil burgers, tomatoes, baby cucumbers, bread, almonds and a banana. The burgers were good, but they would have been better if I had access to a microwave. The rest of the dinner was delicious.

In the evening, I shiny hunted Combee again.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 :

Spoiler:
For breakfast, I ate almond yoghurt, some bread and a banana. Almond yoghurt has a jelly-like texture, which surprised me at first, but I ended up really liking it. I also enjoyed the rest of the meal.

In the morning, I explored the Internet and I had a text message conversation with Xanthe. She told me that she was feeling better and that she and Gemma would come to my Airbnb later than expected, because Gemma got woken up early and needed more sleep. I was glad to hear that Xanthe was feeling better and I looked forward to seeing both of my friends later that day. Then, I asked my fantastic Flareon friend if I should have lunch before they arrived, and she said yes.

As a result, I went to Coles before lunch time. I bought some ready-to-eat legumes : red kidney beans, black beans and chickpeas.

Around lunch time, Xanthe told me that she was coming to my apartment, although Gemma was still sleeping, because she didnít want to be out too late. As I was wondering whether I should have lunch before or after she arrived, she recommended me to have lunch before she arrived. So, thatís what I did.

My lunch consisted of lentil burgers, tomatoes, baby cucumbers, bread and a banana. The burgers would have been better if there was a microwave in the Airbnb, but at least I finished them. The rest of the lunch was delicious.

After I had lunch, Xanthe told me that Gemma was coming, which was great. They both arrived a little after 3 PM. I was very happy to see them, I hugged them both and I wished Gemma a happy birthday.

In my Airbnb, Xanthe and I gave Gemma her presents. I gave her the Quick Ball plushie and she really liked it. Then, Xanthe organised a Pokemon cries quiz using Pokedex 3D Pro : as I was able to guess almost all cries immediately, I stopped guessing them after a while in order to let Gemma guess some cries as well.

Afterwards, Xanthe and I sang the birthday song I had written for our awesome Altaria friend (it is based on "Advance Australia Fair", which is Australiaís national anthem) :

Pokefans all let us rejoice
For an awesome Aussie.
In the tram, she breathed with us.
Her home is girt by sea.
Today, we are celebrating
The sweetest Altaria.
It's that time of the year again :
Happy birthday Gemma!
In joyful strains then let us sing :
"Happy birthday Gemma!"

Gemma really liked the song, which is great.

After the birthday song, my friends showed me a video about Aussie slang (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDb_WsAt_Z0). It was hilarious. Then, I organised a Pokemon music quiz : I made my friends guess some of my favourite Pokemon soundtracks. I was surprised that Xanthe didnít recognise the legendary beasts theme immediately, as she loves Suicune.

Afterwards, I made my friends guess some French Pokemon names. In order to make that easier for them, I only made them guess Pokemon from gen 1. Each one of them could ask three yes/no questions about the Pokemon, then they had to make a guess. Xanthe was better than Gemma at this game. Here are the Pokemon I made them guess : Goupix (Vulpix), Rondoudou (Jigglypuff), Pyroli (Flareon), Ptťra (Aerodactyl), Sabelette (Sandshrew), Gravalanch (Graveler), Miaouss (Meowth), Mťlofťe (Clefairy), Elektek (Electabuzz).

After this game, I played some music using the gym badges in Pokemon Black 2. Of course, "Happy birthday to you" was one of the songs I played. My friends both said that they canít play music with the gym badges.

Then, I let them discover the book "All cats have Asperger syndrome". Xanthe read it aloud for us. As this book is written for boys (the child with Asperger syndrome is referred to as "he" in the book), she read it in a gender-inclusive way (she said "they" or "he or she" instead of "he"), which I really appreciated. My friends enjoyed the book, which is great.

Finally, around 5:30 PM, my friends had to go. They both hugged me and we even did a group hug! I had a wonderful afternoon (or arvo, as Aussies would say) with them. And Xanthe invited me to go to her place on the following day, which was awesome! Once I was alone again, I wrote about my day.

For dinner, I ate red kidney beans, tomatoes, baby cucumbers, bread, almonds and an apple. It was delicious.

In the evening, I explored the Internet and Xanthe sent me detailed information for the following day, which was very thoughtful of her. I was looking forward to another great day with my fantastic Flareon friend. Finally, I posted my travel journal on PXR before going to bed.

If you have any questions or comments about this, please feel free to post them.

Thanks for reading! :)

Submit "Melbourne travel journal - Part 1" to Digg Submit "Melbourne travel journal - Part 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Melbourne travel journal - Part 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Melbourne travel journal - Part 1" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great blog entry, Val! :D You are very detailed! I hope you like the almond yoghurt. There is one almond yoghurt I don't really like, but there are others that I find delicious. :)

Hear that, @Chibi Altaria? I was better at the guessing game? ;D XDD

I look forward to reading more. :) And I wonder when you will get a shiny combee!
    I like that you talk about the things that you eat! I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that in their diary, haha!
    Sounds like you've had fun! How are you dealing with the jet lag?
    @Suicune's Fire @Lychee @HorusMyDude Thank you for reading and commenting my blog entry! :)
    I really like the almond yoghurt.
    I also wonder when I will get that shiny Combee.
    I enjoy talking about the things I eat.
    I've had lots of fun so far and I didn't have any jet lag because I shifted my sleep schedule before going to Australia (as mentioned in my previous blog entry).
    How was the Australian toilet experience?
    Haha, I found it pretty funny you even explained your first experience using a foreign toilet too. xD I've heard that's different too.

Sounds like you've had tons of fun on this trip! Too bad we couldn't ALL meet up as a PXR community thing. Maybe one day right? ;P
    @Green @Chakramaster Thank you for reading and commenting my blog entry! :)
    I love toilet humour. xD Australian toilets are pretty similar to Belgian toilets, except for the shape of the lid : the toilet lid has a parabolic shape in Belgium, but it is shaped like a U in Australia.
    I have had tons of fun on my trip! Maybe, one day, all active PXR members could meet up. xD
    @Cleobel great posts i luv em

2 questions tho

first who the hell are the guys you met and match name with username for me XD

and second...

DIDJA GET THE SHINH
    @The Foogle Thank you for reading my travel journal! :)

1) Chibi Altaria = Gemma
    Desolate Divine = Jacob
    Pokemon Trainer Sarah = Sarah
    Suicune's Fire = Xanthe

2) I haven't got a shiny yet since I arrived in Melbourne. I really hope I will find one before I leave, though.
    @Cleobel

oh ok thanks for that-WAIT YOU'RE STILL THERE WHAT
    @The Foogle Yes, I'm still there. I am leaving Melbourne on Thursday and I really don't look forward to that. And there will be a third (and final) part of my travel journal.
    @Cleobel

OOF first day of season 10 too...
    @The Foogle What do you mean?
    @Cleobel season 10 of fortnite starts august 1st, being this thursday lol
    @The Foogle Okay, thank you for your reply. I hope you enjoy it. :)