Thread: Dithering

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

Dithering

Dithering is a spriting technique used to create the illusion of a gradient between shades. The way in which the colours alternate resembles a chessboard. It was common in the older Pokémon games due to their more limited palettes, and from what I've heard a lot of people don't like the technique. It's certainly quite divisive, but personally I quite like it, as long as it looks neat and there isn't too much of it. What do you think about dithering?

Here are some examples, from those of you who may be unsure as to what it looks like:

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler:

2. This post has been liked by:

Dithering's an interesting technique. It was originally used to blend colors together when CRT monitors and color restrictions were a thing. Now that LED screens exist, dithering isn't that widely used.

It's alright in moderation. Using too much usually makes pixel art look too rough and/or too messy; though some is good to use for texturing. Then you've got stylized dithering, which is a subject in its own regard.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

4. This post has been liked by:

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    It really depends on what it's used for. When I create animated gifs for banners, sometimes dithering helps so there's not a huge jump in colours (since you're limited to a selected pallette).

For sprite art, however, it's been pretty much phased out. The only time it's really useful is for texture, or patterns.

6. This post has been liked by:

Oh my gosh I didn't realise that actually, Sans! How interesting.

I still like dithering. In moderation, of course. Too much dithering is hideous. xP

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I really like the look of dithering. It reminds me of old sprites. :D But when I try it, I do it too much apparently hahaha.
    GCEA

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    I really like the look of dithering. It reminds me of old sprites. :D But when I try it, I do it too much apparently hahaha.
    They say everything in moderation...although I don't know how to do that either. XD LET'S OVER-DITHER EVERYTHING.

10. This post has been liked by: