View Poll Results: What topics should the Author's Academy cover?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plot related topics

2 50.00%
  • Character related topics

0 0%
  • Description related topics

0 0%
  • Writing style related topics

0 0%
  • Writer's block and how to deal with it

2 50.00%
  • Trope related topics

0 0%
  • What not to do when writing

0 0%
  • Something else

0 0%
    Senior Moderator

Author's Academy: What would you like to see?

Currently, we writing mods are in the process of planning something called the Author's Academy--a place by authors, for authors on how to write well--need help planning a plot? Not sure how to write a character? Want to know which tropes to try and avoid, and why? The Author's Academy will cover these and more.

Our question is, what sort of topics would you want to see covered? Vote in our handy poll, then tell us why you want that topic covered. If there's more than one topic you want to see covered, you can mention them in your post, but your vote should reflect what you most want to see.

The poll will close in two weeks, so you have plenty of time to vote.
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 07-02-2016 at 12:53 PM.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

2. This post has been liked by:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Emerald you might want to make the thread multi-selection.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Senior Moderator

@Alphys Is there a way of editing a poll, or do I have to make the thread again?
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldSky View Post
    @Alphys Is there a way of editing a poll, or do I have to make the thread again?
    You can edit the selections but you can't make it multiselection afterwards, unfortunately.
    GCEA

I voted for writer's block because that is the thing I have the most trouble with...haha. But I could give great advice for how to get out of one. I just don't typically listen to my own advice. xD But anyhow, this idea sounds great!

Senior Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    You can edit the selections but you can't make it multiselection afterwards, unfortunately.
    Okay, I'll just clarify in the rules you can also request more than one option in your response, then.
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 07-02-2016 at 04:20 PM.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

This is kind of a related idea, but what I think would be cool would be a "writing camp" of sorts. Basically each week you have a new challenge on the way to creating a story. So week one might be creating characters. You have a short article talking about how to make a good character and then everyone has a go at it and posts their results and gets feedback from whoever is running it. Then week two could be plot. etc. Basically by the end of it people would have all the things they need to start writing. And they could even use ideas/stories they already have to try to improve them.

Just putting it out there :)

I think all the topics in the poll look good!
    GCEA

Senior Moderator

@Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Hm, I'm open to attempting the Author's Academy in that format--that would make it a bit more interactive than a series of articles for discussion, which was my initial idea.

Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    I think I'd be most interested in plot related stuff. I'm not interested in the tropes or what to not do when writing, because I disregard any advice that tells writers to 'always do' or 'never do' something on principle. I think plot and character stuff would be some of the most helpful. One about different writing styles would be interesting too.

Probably gonna choose plot because I can't do simple plots and I always end up weaving complicated plots that require tons of brain-storming to patch up the possible holes and loose ends. It's difficult for me to stick with something simple and conventional due to my love for something that breaks the mold. Maybe forcing myself to use a tried-and-tested formula might just open up something in me. Idk