Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

PXR Movie and TV Show Review Thread

I am not sure if this will work out or not, but here goes...

<I am still working on a banner XD>

Welcome to the PXR movie review thread!

A movie review thread?
    No, it is a personal fan club (Does sarcasm work over text?)... Yes it is a movie review thread, like the title says.

But why do we have a movie review thread?
    There are two main reasons for this.

Firstly: Have you ever gone on a piracy spree, but not known what movies to download and watch? (Kids, downloading movies illegally is bad!) I know that I trust the opinions of a lot of members here at PXR, and I am sure a few of them feel the same. If my fellow PXR members say a movie is good, I believe them.

Second: Did you just watch a movie that blew your mind, and your friends are sick of you ranting and raving about it? Or maybe it was mind numbingly boring, and you want to rant and rave about it? Maybe you should warn your fellow members of such a monstrosity so they aren't permanently scarred like you were? How noble of you!

Okay, so who can post a review?
    I can post a review. You can post a review. Heck, that homeless guy at the end of my street can write a review, assuming he has an account and an Internet connection.

So how will this work?
    I'm glad you asked that! The main page will have an index, with links to all the reviews, and a section reserved for movies that got 7/10 or higher. In this thread, anyone can post a review, and everyone can comment on others reviews, and discuss them. However, please remember these reviews are others opinions. You might love a certain movie, but someone reviewed it badly here. That is no reason to argue with the person. Respect people's opinions, and they will hopefully do the same.

Anyway, if multiple people like a certain users review, they will be deemed an expert reviewer, and will have their reviews stand out on the index.

There have to be rules, so what are they?
    Ah yes. The rules...
    Actually they aren't too strict:
    ~Please try and use proper spelling and grammar, and avoid abbreviation and chat speak eg
    -"OMG i luv dis movie. Sooooooooooooooooooo cooooool. The speshul FX wer awesum!!!!!"
    This is an example of he you shouldn't write a review. If I didn't write it myself, I would be holding a cross, throwing holy water and screaming "kill it with fire!".
    -"I enjoyed the movie. So much better than I expected. The visual effects were amazing, and made the movie so much better."
    This is good. Good spelling, good grammar and easy to read. Most word processing programs contain a spell check function, but if anyone needs it, I would be happy to read through a review prior, and do a spellcheck myself.

~Remember, there are kids here at PXR (I think). Even if they aren't members, how many little kids do you think search "Pokemon" on google? Anyone can find PXR, and read the forums. However since a good portion of movies aren't kid friendly it is hard to keep a movie review thread such as this completely clean. So the bottom line is this. If a decent human being wouldn't say it to their two year old cousin, or 90 year old catholic grandmother, it belongs in spoilers, with a content warning on the outside. Spoiler tags can be made with the [SPOILER] tag. If you want a quick run down on BB code, message me, and I will teach you what I know.

~Try to stay relevant in this thread. If you are moving towards irrelevant conversation/spam, I will request that you take it elsewhere.

~Some people don't like the plot of a movie being spoiled, so if an aspect of the plot is in your review, please use spoiler tags, like above.

~Not really compulsory, more just a nice gesture, but if you liked someone's review, and/or found it helpful, make a post saying that or thanking them. This will add to their reputation in the thread, and put the, closer to being an expert reviewer.

With all that being said, here is the skeleton:

Movie name: (English is preferable)
    Rating: (G, PG 13+ etc) (If a high rating, please provide reason, eg violence, gore, language etc)
    Genre:
    Summary: (Doesn't have to give away much of the plot, but give a general idea of what the movie is about)
    Your thoughts:
    Pros: (What was good about the movie?)
    Cons: (What was bad about the movie?)
    Favourite part: (Self explanatory. Use spoilers if necessary.)
    Rating out of 10: (0= Horrible, 5= Average, 10= Perfect)
    Links: (Optional. Maybe you want to show a trailer?)

And with that being said, I now pronounce the PXR movie review thread, Open!

Senior Moderator

Reserved again to be safe.

Senior Moderator

And one more reserved.

Senior Moderator

You may now post. And to start it off, here is my first review!

Movie name: 21 and Over
    Rating: R, for some violence, sexual references, nudity and language (not one to watch with Grandma)
    Genre: Comedy
    Summary: Three guys celebrate one of their 21st birthdays, and drink the night away, the night before a med school interview. What could possibly go wrong?
    Your thoughts: Personally, I loved the movie, though movie review sites would disagree with me. The plot was simple, yet evolved into multiple sub plots that all tied in with eachother. There were scenes where I couldn't stop laughing at the coincidence that were caused by this subplots eg: (spoilers)
    Spoiler:

~Miller is told by a girl he likes (Nicole) to talk to her boyfriend Randy, who can help them get Jeff Chang home. Randy turns out to be the same guy they accidentally threw a dart at earlier that night, which went through his cheek.
    ~They accidentally break into a dorm building full of Latina girls, who proceed to hunt them down throughout the rest of the movie.
    ~Throughout the movie, there was a man dressed up as an Indian chief who was dancing around everywhere, the first place being out the front of Jeff Chang's house, the place they are trying to find. At the end, he is released from a mental hospital, and tells them that he got high and danced out the front of his house all night, making him the neighbour of the house they are looking for.

One part of the movie I liked was the trio realising how they have drifted apart and changed since high school. I like movies like the Hanover,but I loved how unlike the hangover, this had a more emotional, unwinding plot, that ended for the better. I also found that I could relate to Jeff Chang, and how he is expected to be someone he is not.
    All in all I liked this movie, which had me laughing until the end.
    Pros: (What was good about the movie?)
    ~Intertwined Subplots made for an interesting watch.
    ~Very funny.
    ~Sometimes relatable
    Cons: (What was bad about the movie?)
    ~A little less nudity wouldn't hurt.
    ~One of the main characters tends to be somewhat racist and stereotypical which is slightly annoying.
    Favourite part: (Self explanatory. Use spoilers if necessary.)
    Probably the very last scene.
    Spoiler:
    After the whole ordeal is over, the three main characters are seen partying, and one of them tells the others to not let him get too drunk, as he has a college interview the next morning. It then goes to the next morning where the guy walks into an office, obviously hungover, with new,y died red hair, crutches, the whole deal.
    The interviewer turns around and is shown to be the Indian chief, who got high and danced in front of his house.

Rating out of 10: (0= Horrible, 5= Average, 10= Perfect): I would have to say 7
    Links: (Optional. Maybe you want to show a trailer?)
    Content warning
    Spoiler:

Senior Moderator

Movie name: Big Daddy
    Rating: PG13
    Genre: Comedy
    Summary: (Shamelessly stolen from IMDB) A lazy law school grad adopts a kid to impress his girlfriend, but everything doesn't go as planned and he becomes the unlikely foster father.
    Your thoughts: I loved the movie. I watched it last night when it was on TV, and found myself laughing a good portion of the time. Adam Sandler is one of my favourite actors, and rarely ever lets me down. It shows the stuff that you probably have to deal with as a parent (I wouldn't know), and the clueless ways of dealing with it were hilarious eg the newspaper.
    Pros:
    ~Adam Sandler
    ~Relatable, yet still a bit far fetched.
    ~Funny, yet still sad at some points.
    Cons:
    ~Personally, I didn't like the ending too much, as opposed to something else that could have happened.
    Favourite part:
    Spoiler:

The Halloween scene. When Sonny (Adam Sandler) takes Julian (the kid) trick or treating for the first time they go to a house where nobody answers the door. Sonny looks in the window and sees a man on the phone, who makes a hand gesture for him to go away. Sonny leaves Julian at the door, and sneaks around the back, and breaks into the mans house, and forces him to give a box of cereal, a pile of CDs, and his watch.

Rating out of 10: 8
    Links:
    Spoiler:

Let's Fight Crimes With Mangoes and Limes Wookie Mistake's Avatar
    So we just post up a movie review eh? sounds good to me!

Movie Name:
    Trance

Main Actors/Actresses:
    (Links lead to Actor/Actresses IMDB page)

Rating:
    R
    sexual content, graphic nudity, violence, some grisly images, and language

Genre:
    Crime/Drama/Mystery/Thriller

Plot
    A fine art auctioneer mixed up with a gang joins forces with a hypnotherapist to recover a lost painting. As boundaries between desire, reality and hypnotic suggestion begin to blur the stakes rise faster than anyone could have anticipated. (Taken from IMDB)

The Review:
    Danny Boyle, you've done it again, or have you?
    If you don't know who Danny Boyle is, he's the man behind Slumdog Millionaire, Trainspotting and 127 Hours, as well as the opening and closing ceremonies for the 2012 Olympics in London (I'm not sure if he did both but I'm reasonably sure he did the opening). This time he treads into the realm of psychological thriller with Trance.

In the same vein as Inception and The Prestige, not everything is as it seems. An extremely expensive painting gets stolen, but the man tasked with protecting it (McAvoy), for lack of a better word pre-steals it before the thieves realize it's not in their possession, they go after him only to find out that due to the blow to the head he took from the thieves, he's lost all memory of the heist before the heist. So what do they do? They hire a hypnotherapist (Dawson) to retrieve the memories. From there you take a bumpy ride full of twists and turns that will either leave you on the edge of your seat, or with your head buried in your hands.

It's one of those films that leave you guessing as to what the real motives of the characters are, while some are a bit obvious, there are a few that hit you upside the head like a 10 week old bagel.

It's decently done, but nowhere near as good as some of the better psychological thrillers.

Pros:
    Good Pace, and good overall story
    Actors are quite believable in the roles they play,
    Good twist at the climax
    Visuals and cinematography are quite well done

Cons:
    Some of the twists and turns are a bit contrived, the full frontal nudity scene being one of them. It's hard for me to decide whether that scene was gratuitous or a part of the character development
    It's supposed to be one of those movies that make you want to watch it over and over again to pick up the little details, but you may also end up punching a few holes in the plot as well

The Best Part:
    It has to be the big reveal, now I'm not new to the genre, I know that theres always some grand plot twist, and pride myself in being able to figure it out before it comes. This one though? It came out of nowhere, I had a thought as to where it would turn, but it went deeper down the rabbit hole than I thought it would.

Rating:
    A good movie but in a genre where there are such great films as Inception, The Prestige, and Primal Fear, it just doesn't compare

Greenband Trailer:

Coming Soon:
    In honor (more like anger but meh) of the American version of Oldboy I'll be doing the Vengeance Trilogy (Oldboy, Lady Vengeance and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance)

Old Boy (Korean)

Movie Name:
    Oldboy (Korean) 2003

Tagline:
    Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.

Main Actors/Actresses:
    (Links lead to Actor/Actresses IMDB page)

Rating:
    R
    strong violence including scenes of torture, sexuality and pervasive language

Genre:
    Drama/Mystery/Thriller

Plot
    After being kidnapped and imprisoned for 15 years, Oh Dae-Su is released, only to find that he must find his captor in 5 days. (Taken from IMDB)

The Review:
    Let me start this review out by saying that an American remake is slated to be released October 25th 2013 and Directed by Spike Lee. I'm not one of those that generally think foreign films are better than their American Adaptations, but I do tend to think that original films tend to be better then direct modernizations/remakes. Now on to the actual review.

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW! This is one of my favorite movies of all time. The only problem that I have is that I can't help but to upsell this film and possibly leave people disappointed...seems like that's the story of my life XD. I couldn't decide whether to do reviews of the Vengeance Trilogy in the order that the they were released, or in the order that I originally watched them. I decided to do the latter since if it wasn't for this film I probably wouldn't have watched the other two. The story is just one of those that sucks you in. Knowing that the whole trilogy was about vengeance made the plot just a little predictable, but the motivation and manner of revenge were so well done that it turned this film into an instant cult classic. The story isn't what makes this movie spectacular, though it's very well done. What makes this movie so great is the individual scenes, from the years of his imprisonment, to the octopus scene, to one of the greatest fight scenes of all time(IMO), the hammer fight scene (clip below). The action slows down in the middle, but that doesn't mean that the pace does. The discovery of the motivation for revenge sucks you in, and the ultimate confrontation and final twist will have most people extremely disturbed, both psychologically, and maybe if you're the squeamish sort, in your stomach as well.

If you haven't seen this film yet, and want to, you may want to watch the American release first, if only that the American remake has pretty large shoes to fill. It's possible that it can live up to expectations, like The Departed, though I personally doubt it. Regardless, If you like dark and twisted movies a la Donnie Darko, and American Psycho, this is a film you definitely have to have on your queue.

Pros:
    Story was very well written.

The pacing gave you enough time to recover from the jaw dropping or stomach gagging scenes with important plot points and still not drag the movie down much, if at all.

Cons:
    The means that the characters go to to achieve their goals seem unrealistic and farfetched, but then again the movie wouldn't be as amazing as it was, if all they did was kill each other.

The Best Part:
    Quite a few in my opinion. Here's two of the most memorable

The Octopus Scene, you have to just see it, but if you want to know what you're getting into click the spoiler box below (Vegetarians beware!)
    Spoiler:
    After having been released Dae-Su Oh ends up in a sushi restaurant, he proceeds to ask the sushi chef for something alive (not that uncommon in Asian countries, as they want to verify the freshness of the catch). He then recieves a phone call from the person who had locked him up, taunting him and his release into a "A larger prison." The Sushi Chef brings him an Octopus and asks her if he's satisfied with the Octopus when he picks it up and proceeds to eat it...not in a roll...not in a salad...ALIVE, and with the gusto of a man who is enraged by his tormentor. Now I know what your thinking, so what, it's probably just battery operated tentacles, or just added in after the fact as movies are wont to do nowadays. But you're wrong, that octopus is not CG, not some sort of weird animatronic, but a LIVE octopus, in fact seven Octopi were sacrificed in the name of making a scene as realistic as possible. Choi, who plays Dae-Su Oh, is a devout Buddhist, and prayed before every take.

Behind the scenes of the Octopus eating scene

And the aforementioned hammer fight scene

One Vs. a mob, One hammer, One seamless shot = Awesome
    Spoiler:

Rating:

Fan made Trailer

Spoiler:

Red Band for American remake Trailer (R Rated Trailer)
    Spoiler:

Coming Soon:
    Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance

Anyone have a movie they want reviewed? Let me know via PM!

Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance

Apologies for the delay on this review (I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath XD) I was working on the "How To Build A Competitive Team" if you're interested check it out here and had some IRL things to deal with. Anyways, here's my next review

Movie Name:
    Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance (Korean) 2002

Tagline:
    Revenge Was Never This Sweet

Rating:
    R
    strong gruesome violence, strong sexuality, language and drug use

Genre:
    Crime/Drama

Plot
    A recently laid off factory worker kidnaps his former boss' daughter, hoping to use the ransom money to pay for his sister's kidney transplant. (Taken from IMDB)

The Review:
    This was the first release of the Vengeance Trilogy, and the second one that I watched, after Old Boy. Of the three, it's probably the second best. It doesn't have the awesome action of Old Boy, but the plot still moves on reasonably well. It still a little slow in some parts though.

The biggest reason this movie has stuck with me so much is the sheer amount of depression it filled me with. Maybe it's because, when I watch a movie I try to believe it's as factual as the plot will allow. Oldboy, while not that farfetch'd, it was still hard for me to grasp the machinations and depth of the vengeance. With this film it seemed very plausible. Especially given the way the economy is here in the States, I can see how someone given the extreme circumstances and the pressure that it results in would resort to some of the actions. A lot of crazier things have been going on recently with all the imprisoned people stories that are starting to pop up.

But I digress, I "enjoyed" this movie because you could relate to just about every character. The reason enjoyed is in quotes however is because this movie was extremely depressing for me to watch. In fact I think I went back and re-watched Disney's Lion King, and Aladdin just to make sure no lingering depression stuck with me. It may be necessary for you to do the same XD.

Pros:
    Good story

Characters were easy to relate to and in actuality did garner some sympathy and empathy

Cons:
    While the story was well written it did seem to drag at some points

The general feeling of how messed up the characters lives were was quite depressing

The Best Part:
    It had to be the end.
    Spoiler:
    After what would normally be seen as the resolution of the plot happens, one little thread had yet to be neatly tied up. During the torture and interrogation of Cha Yeong-mi (Ryu's girlfriend) she tells Park Dong-jin that if anything happens to her, her radical terrorist friends know of him and will kill him. This just seems like bravado on her part, while she is part of a "terrorist" group I got the impression that they were just protesters and poster passers. Seems I was wrong as those terrorist buddies of hers shank him prison style in the final scene. Thus killing off just about every major and semi-major character in the film.

Rating:

Red Bandish Trailer

Spoiler:
    ]

Coming Soon:
    Lady Vengeance, Redline (Anime)

Sympathy For Lady Vengeance

Movie Name:
    Sympathy For Lady Vengeance (Korean) 2005

Tagline:
    Coming For You

Rating:
    R
    Strong violent content - some involving children, and some sexuality

Genre:
    Crime/Drama/Thriller/Comedy(IMDB doesn't have it listed as such, but there is quite a bit of dark humor)

Plot
    After thirteen and half years in prison for kidnapping and murdering the boy Park Won-mo, Geum-ja Lee is released and tries to fix her life. She finds a job in a bakery; she orders the manufacturing of a special weapon; she reunites with her daughter, who was adopted by an Australian family; and she plots revenge against the real killer of Won-mo, the English teacher Mr. Baek. With the support of former inmates from prison, Geum-ja seeks an unattained redemption with her vengeance. (Taken from IMDB)

The Review:
    The last release of the Vengeance Trilogy and my least favorite, that's not to say it's a bad movie, just odd, but let me qualify that statement by saying that the style reminded me a bit of Donnie Darko, and I wasn't that big a fan of Donnie Darko. Let me stop being J U Ice for a second and be frank, it's a weird movie. Oldboy was based on a manga, and was a bit of a martial arts action film that showcased peoples inner demons. Mr. Vengeance was a dark humanity piece, speaking to the extremes a human being is willing to go should someone they care for's life be on the line. Lady Vengeance was a trip down the rabbit hole. Granted the plot was all about vengeance, and the depravity of the actions weren't unrealistic. It was just disjointed and almost schizophrenic. Still a good movie, just weird. I've watched it a few times since it was released in trying to remember what the movie was about, and my opinion of it has gone up a bit. It doesn't have the raw feeling of Oldboy, and it doesn't have the dark well of depression that is Mr. Vengeance , but has another component of vengeance. Insanity. Not a blinding rage type of insanity, but the cold methodical calculation of someone who's been plotting revenge for a long time. The type of all consuming cold rage that can swallow a soul. It takes the phrase "A woman scorned" to a whole new level. It's pretty disturbing.

Pros:
    The schizophrenic nature would keep your attention.

The cinematography was extremely well done.

The story was slow, but well written and the comedic elements were funny in a dark twisted way.

Cons:
    Still a little confusing at times.

Plot was a little slow

Definitely a polarizing movie, people will either like it a lot, or not like it at all

The Best Part:
    The Conclusion. The way it was done, with the drawn out and methodical way of resolving the plot was such a surreal moment. It was almost anti-climactic, but it was a novel way for the movie to end.

Rating:

Red Band Trailer

Spoiler: