Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    So, ripping my Masters of Cinema from Pe2k, are you? I see how it is..

(loljk, I ain't care.)

Anyways, I think I'll do a review on Disney/Marvel's The Avengers just for something to do.

Movie Name:

MARVEL
    The Avengers

Rating:

PG

Genre:

Action Sci-fi Adventure

Summary:

Loki, God of Mischief, and brother to Thor, God of Thunder, after being banished from Asgaard, finds himself in search of the mystical artifact known as the Tesseract (Cosmic Cube). Commanding a legion of space warriors known as the Chitauri, Loki invades Earth and threatens to rule over the citizens of Earth. In a desperate attempt to save the planet, Col. Nick Fury of S.H.E.I.L.D turns to the heroes of Earth and attempts to bring them together to protect the planet in a mission known as the Avengers Initiative. However, Col. Fury soon learns that the heroes have their own agendas, causing volatile (and rather comical) situations. Will the likes of Captain America, Iron-Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Thor, and even The Incredible Hulk be able to overcome their differences to defeat the insatiable Loki? Or Will the God of Mischief conquer the planet, and usher in an Era of Darkness?

Your Thoughts:

At first, I had my doubts that Disney would to anything good with Marvel. But, I have since been proven wrong. The Avengers turned out to be an amazing film. Any comic book junkie, or movie-goer will be pleased with it. Being an avid reader and follower of the Marvel Universe, I can safely say that Marvel/Disney have done a great job with this film. Anywhere from Casting (which I was skeptical about Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner) to Production and Story (Loved the Thanos teaser at the end credits.)

Pros:
    ~ Good Story
    ~ Good Comic Value
    ~ Great Visual Effects
    ~ Scarlett Johansson.
    ~ Maria Hill is totally Robin Scherbatsky from How I Met Your Mother.
    Cons:
    ~ Lack of Antman and Wasp
    ~ Lack of Thanos as the Initial Villain due to the involvement of the Chitauri and the Cosmic Cube.

Favourite part:

Spoiler:

-Lightning flashes and Loki appears to be nervous-
    Steve Rodgers: What's the matter? Scared of a little lightning?
    Loki: I'm not overly fond of what follows.

Spoiler:

Bruce Banner: I don't think we should be focusing on Loki. That guy's brain is a bag full of cats. You can smell crazy on him.
    Thor: Have a care how you speak! Loki is beyond reason, but he is of Asgaard and he is my brother!
    Black Widow: He killed eighty people in two days.
    Thor: ... He's adopted.

Rating out of 10:

9.5 out of 10

Links:
    Paired with Jessu
    .|.Instagram.|.TiKToK.|.Podcast.|.Buy Stuff.|.Gallery.|.
    ~

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

Didnt know about that XaiakuX haha
    Gonna try and get another review up this weekend.

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

Movie name: Super 8
    Rating: PG-13
    Genre: Mystery/Sci-Fi/Thriller
    Summary: During the summer of 1979, a group of friends witness a train crash and investigate subsequent unexplained events in their small town.
    Your thoughts: Personally, I love the movie. I like movies set in this era, seeing what life was like, how kids entertained themselves before the era of personal electronics coming out our *sses. I also am a huge fan of Sci-Fi movies. I saw this movie for the first in the cinemas one day with my mum and brother. We had never heard of it, but a coworker of my mums recommended it to her. We came about of the cinemas shocked at how much we enjoyed it. The characters are somewhat relatable, and the plot, thought it isn't comedy based, allows for a few laughs, which I like.
    Pros:
    ~Set in a time I enjoy
    ~Unique plot
    ~Somewhat unpredictable
    ~Provides a few laughs
    Cons:
    Spoiler Alert
    Spoiler:

Personally I both loved and hated the ending, when Joe let's go of his mothers necklace. I like how it is symbolic of him somewhat moving on from her death, but then again, considering how little time it has been since her passing, it seems inappropriate. I wouldn't know, I have never lost a parent.

Favourite part: My favourite part would have to be any scene where the pyromaniac kid blows something up. He is one of my favourite characters, and the look on his face when he is told to make a distraction is priceless.
    Rating out of 10: 8
    Links: Trailer

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Movie name: Zootopia
    Rating: PG
    Genre: Crime film/action/kids film
    Summary: A bunny decides to break the stereo types that the world has placed on her by becoming the first rabbit cop. She quickly realizes everyone underestimates her so when a huge case is dropped into her lap, she is quick to take the job but soon realizes she'll need some unlikely aid to help crack this case.
    Your thoughts:
    Spoiler:
    I'm a sucker for kids films. Always have been always will be. On top of that, it also has animals, my other weakness. This movie does really well in portraying a world with issues not too far from our own and even connecting it with a huge conspiracy theory from back in the day. It teaches children a message I've been trying to convey through my children's book, don't judge. The whole scene where the kids just assume because Nick is a fox that he'll be dishonest broke my heart. It's something that happens everyday in real life and I feel like the fact that they portrayed that so realistically made it that much more impactful. It also showed that despite being drastically different, you shouldn't let your differences hinder you from being friends with someone. I thought that was a nice touch. I also loved the whole Godfather reference scene too. It's always a good idea to have a mafioso. They add a certain flavoring to a movie that is always funny. Especially when their daughters are getting married.
    I have to say I was really impressed with the amount of research and design that went into this movie. On top of the fact that it references the cocaine government conspiracy, Zootopia does well in portraying the many different walks of life that inhabit the world. I admire the fact that the writers of the film took the time to ask scientists if a society like Zootopia could feasibly even exist before they started anything else about the movie. That takes dedication and hearing that really impressed me. On top of that, the creators of Zootopia also cater to the fans. There's a popular fan theory that is going around that says the movie Robin Hood takes place in the same universe of Zootopia, and the creators have even said they are totally down with that.
    Overall, I think Zootopia is a masterpiece of a kid's movie. It does well in showing the variety of life that walks this earth, that everyone is different and everyone faces stereotypes. It shows how decisions about these stereotypes affect the lives of people as a whole, whether you choose to embrace or deface them can change your whole life. This is depicted very well in the difference between Judy and Nick. The creators also did well in addressing real world issues, such as how slow the DMV is. Good to know they're very slow in the animal world too and it's not just us. The movie also goes top notch in those other TV show references with spin off titles of other movies and even a Breaking Bad reference too in one of the key scenes. It was quite and adventurous story but it was so funny, creative, and unexpectedly good that I would never stop watching it if you asked me to.
    All in all, Zootopia is a must see movie if you get the chance. It's heartwarming, it's funny, and has a great message behind it that needs more support that it's getting.

Pros: Plot, graphics, and humor were all strong points
    Cons: a little slow on the off occasion
    Favourite part: See above
    Rating out of 10: 7/10
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

42, that is the answer Soulmaster's Avatar
    Movie name: The Court Jester
    Rating: G
    Genre: Comedy/Musical Drama
    Summary: Medieval movie about a rebellion and a lot of jokes and so on. Here is the little snippet that comes up on Google.
    Spoiler:
    Former carnival performer Hubert Hawkins (Danny Kaye) and maid Jean (Glynis Johns) are assigned to protect the infant royal heir from tyrannical King Roderick I (Cecil Parker). While Jean takes the baby to an abbey, Hawkins gains access to the court by impersonating the king's jester, unaware that the jester is really an assassin hired by scheming Sir Ravenhurst (Basil Rathbone). When Princess Gwendolyn (Angela Lansbury), falls for Hawkins, a witch secretly aids him in becoming a knight.

Your thoughts: It's currently my favorite movie. It came out so long ago, yet to matter how many times I watch it, it never fails to bring a smile to my face. Besides, you can't really top Danny Kaye for musical comedy.
    Pros: Jesters, Princesses, Sword fights, tongue twisters, songs, a happy ending.
    Cons: Uh, nothing really. A few points that are just unbelievable, but that's the comedy of it.
    Favourite part: The vessel with the pestle has a pellet of poison while the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true. Yet they broke the chalice from the palace and replaced it with the flagon with the dragon. The flagon with the dragon has the pellet of poison while the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true. and I have typed that way too many times That's probably the best line/lines in the movies. However a great part is at the end when the flash the baby's bottom at just about everyone. The sword fight is also a great one at the end.
    Rating out of 10: 9 easy

Danny Kaye really is just a great man when it comes to comedy. He's probably one of my favorite actors, and this I consider one of his better pieces. It really is a more obscure film, yet that doesn't detract from it's brilliance. The entire opening credits lays out the basis for the movie. As narrated by Danny in character directly to the audience. A part that I had forgotten at the moment was it first used the "Get it? Got it. Good." exchange. If you ever use that, you're quoting this movie. It was actually on the AFI's list of best comedies, so fun fact there. The songs are also great, the best one is either "The Maladjusted Jester" or "Life Could Not Better Be". Both are excellent. So if you have a chance to watch this excellent movie I highly suggest it if you like any of the above things. I can hope some of you have already, yet I greatly doubt it. As I said it isn't the most common of movies, being a box office flop at the time and 60 years old. But yeah, one of my favorite movies of all time, and has been for a while.
    Last edited by Soulmaster; 05-13-2016 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Bah forgot the length needed.

Shiny URPG Stats
    Feel Free To Ask Me Any Questions! Banner by Neo Emolga

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Movie name: King Arthur Legend of the Sword
    Rating: PG-13 (violence, gore, and language)
    Genre: Action, adventure, fantasy
    Summary: It's the legend of King Arthur except Mordred is somehow alive before Arthur and Arthur has an evil uncle and there's octopus ladies?
    Your thoughts: Overall I thought it was very good. The story was actually quite entertaining and while it deviates WAY off the normal path for these tales, it does really well in standing on its own in many ways. Personally I think the soundtrack is what really made the movie. I still listen to the OST constantly when I can. It's so impactful. Even though the movie does have its darker moments and themes, it does well in establishing character growth for Arthur. Also the fact that there's actually no romance in this movie whatsoever made it exponentially better too.
    Pros: The music (probably the best thing the movie had going for it), the humor (well placed and well timed, candidly I wish there had been more of it because it was great), the character development and exposition (they explain stuff well and you can see obvious changes in certain characters over time. Everyone and everything is unique, which is a nice touch), and the digital effects (while not obvious they were obviously implemented, ESPECIALLY in the opening and ending scenes. They looked absolutely gorgeous, it was very easy to get drawn in).
    Cons: Acting wasn't the best. Certain characters were executed well, others seemed a bit forced. And the transition scenes. While the exposition is very good, the manner in which it is used for transitions? Not so much. It can get really confusing if you aren't dedicating your full attention.
    Favourite part: The music and the scene where Arthur is explaining how he got money for Lucy or the opening scene with Mordred.
    Rating out of 10: 7/10
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Movie name: Hachi: A Dog's Tale
    Rating: G, according to this website
    Genre: Drama, according to Wikipedia
    Summary:
    Spoiler:
    This heartwarming true story is an American adaptation of a Japanese tale about a loyal dog named Hachiko. This very special friend would accompany his master to the train station every day and return each afternoon to greet him after work. Sadly his master goes to work one day, but dies at work and never returns to the station. Hachiko faithfully returns to the same spot at the station that evening, and every day until the last day of his life, to wait for his beloved master. During his daily visits, Hachiko touches the lives of many who work near and commute through the train station square. He teaches the local people love, compassion and above all, unyielding loyalty. Today, a bronze statue of Hachiko sits in his waiting spot outside the Shibuya station in Japan as a permanent reminder of his devotion and love.

(This summary was found here.)

Your thoughts: I watched this movie (in its French version) a few months ago, after my mother and my sister recommended it to me and said that it made them cry. I was impressed with Hachi's loyalty, but I didn't cry and I knew that I hadn't understood everything in the movie. As a result, I did a Google search about the movie after watching it, so that I could understand it better, but I still didn't cry after this Google search.
    Pros: Hachi's loyalty
    Cons: The movie may be difficult to understand, so I suggest you to read about it before watching it
    Favourite part:
    Spoiler:
    All the moments when Hachi waits for his dead master at the train station, and also the moment when Hachi and his master take a bath after a skunk has farted on them.

Rating out of 10: 7
    Links: Trailer

Special thanks to Fate for this cute avatar and this cute banner! :D
    Special thanks to AD for this awesome Chikorita GIF! :D

Movie name:Ready Player One

Rating:PG (Some Language may offend)

Genre:Sci Fi

Summary: In the year 2045, reality has become a bummer. Because of various things, most of the population choose to spend their time in a simulation known as the Oasis, created by a man named James Halliday. The film follows Wade Watts, as he tries to find the three keys to unlock the Easter Egg that would put him in charge of the Oasis.

Pros: Any Scene with James Halliday in it. A surprising amount of Battletoads

Cons: Well, coming right out the gate, there was a lot I didn't like about this movie. Most of it comes down to one simple idea though. The world of Oasis is something that is believable, BUT they fail in the very fundamental aspects of it being a video game. When you get right down to it, the Oasis is a broken game, with things that can make some players gods, and others total weaklings. The rules are inconsistent, for example, we are told there is an item that allows you to transform into any giant robot for a set amount of time. During one sequence a character uses a Gundam to do so, and we see the timer run out. But at the same time there are two other characters using giant robot character, The Iron Giant and Mechagodzilla. Why is it that these two characters can use what is decidedly a giant robot for as long as they wish. Another thing that makes the Oasis just seem like a broken mess is the fact that there seems to be no rules as to where you can and can't attack people. There is a scene at a club (in the game) where the main characters are ambushed and actively shot at. Wouldn't a spot like this have a no weapons limitation? A huge deal is made over how losing your avatar can be devastating, how you lose EVERYTHING you built up, but anyone would mosey in with a weapon and attack, just like that. And now just to talk about a bit towards the end, I need to spoiler tag a bit.

Spoiler:
    So there's this item that was set up, it destroys every avatar in the area, including the one that used it. So of course, the main villain uses it as part of his dastardly plan, and it seems as though the world is wiped out. BUT WAIT! Our main character has an EXTRA LIFE something that was NEVER, NOT ONCE brought up in the film. He just happened to get it from a character early on without realizing it was a 1-up. Now my problem doesn't rely on the fact that he used an Extra Life, its that it was never shown to exist in the world. A simple expository scene, where they mention the magical "extra life" that no one has ever found before. But they didn't. That part really grinds my gears.

Now for just some last little things. First, there is some clunky dialogue here. It feels really awkward in places, especially in lines like;

Spoiler:
    "You killed my mother's sister." - A person who apparently doesn't know the word aunt.

The movie is heavy with exposition that feels equally as clunky. Wade mentions at the start of the film his parents died and he now lives with his aunt. Then in the first scene with his aunt he says it again, for some reason? Then when he reveals is feelings for Art3mis AKA Samantha our love intrest and secondary main character, she dumps her whole backstory on him and how she's leading a resistance. Rather than dumping all of it at once, she could have mentioned she was the leader of this group, and then explain later why shes so passionate about it, and he reasoning for it. When its all dumped on us at once, it feels like the writers just needed to get it out of the way so they could keep the story going. Another thing with Samantha is a trope is really dislike. The whole "You wouldn't think I'm beautiful" even though the character is absolutely stunning, but she has a birthmark over her eye that can barely be scene in some shots.

There's also the whole gimmick of the film. Seeing all these pop culture icons together like this is really fascinating. But heres the thing, they really do nothing with it. There are references but none of them feel substantial. I think they could have had these characters, and do cool things with them, that doesn't feel like pandering or fan-service. So overall, I have a lot of problem with this movie, mainly because they had a interesting concept, that they didn't know how to properly use. So just wait until some Black Mirror episode comes out about this.

Favourite part:

Spoiler:
    The final scene with James Halliday talking to Wade is a legitimately touching moment that feels real. Its something that gamers can relate to, and even learn a little bit about. I'd like a whole film about Halliday honestly, he was the only character that felt like a genuine person, and not your standard 'Young Adult Novel fill in the blank'

Rating out of 10: 4.7