Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf @Soups

Episode 117a: Tie One On! (part 1)

"Nervous at all?" Misty asked Brock as she and Ash located him in the holding room for the Grand Lore Stage the next day.

"It's just now sinking in that I'm taking part in a Grand Lore Stage." Brock replied as he studied some highlights from elsewhere around the League, including Ash's victory the day before, and Misty and Michelle's commanding win in the Goal Roll earlier in the day. "I'm a little nervous, but I've practiced my material, so I should be okay."

"Any news from the other events?" Ash asked as he attempted to get a look at Brock's PokeNav.

"Well, Misty put on a grand show in the Goal Roll of the Grand Pokethlon, and they are still talking about your narrow win over Macy yesterday." Brock motioned for Ash to look at the highlights flashing by on the PokeNav. "Speaking of which...Macy saved herself from elimination by winning her second match, which also means that you and Macy are tied at the top of Group H, even though you only have to face someone named Jackson for your next match. That said, you only need a tie against Jackson in order to go on, while Jackson must win outright to force a three-way tie. On top of that, a second tiebreaker round-robin would be needed should Jackson win outright."

"Wow..." Ash was impressed.

Brock just smiled. "But I think you can advance, so go get'em!"

"Thanks, Brock!" Ash smiled as he and Misty turned to leave. "Break both legs in your performance!"

---------

[...and so I used a Hydro Pump to help me get up, and take out the Quilava at the same time!] Brenna finished her recap of the previous day's battle to the Bulbasaur on the videophone screen.

[Wow, that's amazing!] the Bulbasaur smiled before she noticed Luce in the background, [Who's that?]

[This is Luce, one of Ash's Johto Pokemon.] Brenna explained, prompting Luce to wave hello. [Luce, this is Saria, Ash's faithful Bulbasaur.]

[Nice to meet you.] Luce smiled.

"Aw, that's so sweet..." Misty smiled as Brenna continued her phone call, with Luce interjecting every so often. "You don't feel guilty about leaving Saria at home?"

"Not at all--after what happened at the Kanto League, she needed the rest." Ash replied.

Just then, he noticed Prof. Elm and a boy with pale brown hair talking in the Pokemon Center. "That must be my opponent in the next round..."

"Oh, Ash, hello!" Prof. Elm smiled as Ash and Misty approached him. "I was giving Jackson here some advice on what to use in the match. Why is Brock not with you?"

"He's getting ready to take the Grand Lore Stage." Misty explained, showing Prof. Elm that the storyteller before Brock had just started her tale.

"I'm sure he will do well..he clearly has a passion for the world's folklore." Prof. Elm smiled.

"Even though you are my next round opponent, I feel safe telling you my problem..." Jackson told Ash. "When I left on my own journey, I started with a Chikorita named Mint. Mint has only recently evolved into Meganium, but I didn't think to include her on my entry form..."

"Why not?" Prof. Elm asked.

"I didn't feel she was ready for this big a stage after evolving so soon." Jackson went on "I thought it would be better to save Mint for the Victory Tournament, but now that I look back, that was a mistake."

"There's still time to make changes--the match isn't until tomorrow." Prof. Elm assured Jackson.

Jackson smiled. "Thanks, Professor--maybe Mint is ready for the League!"

"Bring it on!" Ash challenged as Misty departed for the Grand Lore Stage stadium. "I can't wait to take on Mint!"

---------

Applause rang through the stadium as Misty arrived. I made it...the storyteller before Brock just finished!

She looked up at the bracket for the Grand Lore Stage on the scoreboard as she found Brock in the entry tunnel leading to the stage. If Brock does well in his performance, he has a chance to advance to the finals.

"Misty, am I glad to see you!" Brock heaved a relieved sigh when he found Misty approaching him. "I am in fact against the clock for the first round of the Lore Stage--any suggestions for a quickie with punch?"

"Try that really funny one about the vizir's great feast--that should get the crowd rolling in the aisles." Misty suggested.

Brock nodded. "Okay then...let's do this."

---------

Number K-93098, telling 'The Great Feast'. the announcer explained as Brock was invited on the stage to perform.

Once the clock on the scoreboard had displayed thirty minutes, a judge told Brock "The clock will begin when you start talking."

Brock took a deep breath to ease his nervousness, then began his tale. "In a far away land, the people could not stop complaining about their vizirs--what an official is called in some lands."

Intrigued murmurs wafted through the crowd at this. "The reason? They argued over anything and everything, and once they started arguing, it was anyone's guess as to when they would stop." Brock explained, nodding to Ethan and Lyra giggling in one of the front rows.

As if inspired by Ethan and Lyra, soft laughter rippled through the crowd. "Now, the vizirs knew what the people were saying, and they took it upon themselves to show their people they could conduct affairs in a civil manner." Brock went on. "So one day, they went into town, making small talk amongst themselves and saying hello to all they met."

He paused for a moment, then went on "Suddenly, they found a rare black pearl embedded in the sandy road. Their first thought was to debate what to do with it, but they remembered their promise to conduct affairs civilly. They decided to hold a great feast in honor of their friendship."

"Aw"s went up at this. "So the ten vizirs all went down to the food shop and used the black pearl to buy enough food for the whole city to be fed for a week and still have leftovers." Brock went on, to awed chatter. "There were potstickers, and puddings, meats both from the land and the sea, vegetables of all kinds, cheese, nuts, Berries, and a bewildering array of desserts."

"Mm"s filled the air at this. "Just before the vizirs could sit down to their massive meal, the ninth vizir saw that the palace gate was open." Brock continued. "He told the sixth to shut it, but he believed the first vizir should shut it. The first told the eighth, the eighth asked the fourth, and before long, all ten vizirs were fighting over who should shut the gate."

Laughter filled the arena as the crowd pictured the chaos. "The tenth vizir finally broke it up by saying the next person to say anything or stand up would close the gate." Brock explained as the laughter quieted. "So the ten vizirs began to eat, not saying a word to each other or getting up for seconds."

Lyra stiffled a giggle of anticipation at what crazy scenario Brock had dreamed up, "The open gate lured hundreds of Pokemon into the palace, and they wasted no time in devouring all the meat." Brock went on. "When every piece of Combusken, beef, and fish was gone, they moved on to the vegetables, fruits, cheeses and desserts. But the vizirs just sat there, oblivious to the Pokemon eating their food."

More laughter wafted down the rows at this. "Just then, a Growlithe mistook the tenth vizir's lip for a piece of meat, and bit down hard!" Brock announced.

The crowd howled with laughter as they pictured the tenth vizir dancing in pain. "When the others told him he had to shut the gate, they looked around and realized the food was gone, and there was now no point in closing the gate." Brock concluded. "They went their separate ways, not wanting to argue about the matter any more...at least until the next day!"

The crowd roared as Brock took a bow, but Ethan and Lyra's applause was the loudest. "Oh, that was so funny!" Lyra raved as she brushed away a tear of laughter. "I'll have to tell Hana that one!"

"Dundee might love it too." Ethan agreed. "I'll admit Brock has real talent...but you don't get this far on mere talent alone. He really loves doing this, and it shows."

---------

"Let's see..." Ash mused as he examined Jackson's profile on the PC that evening. "in addition to Azumarill and Meganium, he also has a Shiny Magneton, but Meganium is the strongest Pokémon on his team."

He looked over at Misty and Brock. "Any suggestions, you guys?"

"Cyndy would work well as a Meganium counter, and Tintri as an Azumarill counter." Misty suggested as she settled in to watch a sitcom on the TV.

"Your third competitor needs to be able to cover as many of those as possible should Cyndy or Tintri go down." Brock cautioned before joining Misty on the couch with his share of dinner.

After selecting his third Pokemon and sending in his entry form, Ash looked at the opening credits rolling on the TV as the show's theme song played. "Funny you guys are watching 'The Poke-Mom League'--maybe it will inspire me for my match tomorrow!"

He looked over at Misty. "Got room for one more?"

"Sure." Misty invited Ash to join her and Brock on the couch. "It's the one where the boy's mom interferes with his first Gym match."

"Rerun or not, 'The Poke-Mom League' is always a funny show." Ash grinned as the show began...

To Be Continued...
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 117b: Tie One On! (part 2)

We're underway with the second round of the group preliminaries! the stadium announcer began as Jackson summoned an Azumarill on the field below. Can Ash Ketchum of Kanto continue his hot streak and earn a place in the Victory Tournament?

"I think I can!" Ash smiled, as if the announcer could hear him. "Tintri, you're up!"

Sparks are flying from both teams! the announcer called as Tintri darted out of the way of the Azumarill's Water Gun. However, as he circled back around for the attack, he gasped when he saw the Azumarill wasn't there! [Wha...how?]

[Missed me!] the Azumarill taunted.

Tintri growled as he charged a Thunderbolt. [YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!}

Both the Thunderbolt and a Bubblebeam clashed at the center of the battlefield. They're both hanging tough. the announcer deadpanned--neither attack didn't look to be gaining an advantage over the other.

When both attacks fizzled out some moments later, Tintri grimaced as the Azumarill heaved an Icy Wind. This is just like Pryce's gym... he thought as he shivered. I didn't break then, and I won't break here!

Ash noticed the Azumarill's tail turning silver--a sign it was about to use Iron Tail! "Tintri, use the tail to conduct a Thunder attack! You can do this!"

[I can!] Tintri weakly smiled before grabbing the Azumarill's metal tail minutes before it could connect!

Here it comes! Thunder! the announcer cried as Tintri unleashed his attack, engulfing the Azumarill in thunderbolts...

---------

"Hm..." Ash contemplated his next move as Jackson summoned a glittering gold Magneton, to the oohs and ahs of the crowd. <i>Magneton is part Electric and part Steel, so raw power isn't gonna work here.</i>

He called to Tintri "Use Quick Attack!"

Tintri whizzed around the stadium perimeter in preparation to charge, only for the Magneton to blast an electrical wave at him! [WAUGGGH!!!]

Jackson grinned as the Pikachu writhed in pain from paralysis. "Lumi, use Tri Attack!"

Ash watched in horror as a familiar three colored blast hurled Tintri into the Silver safety barrier! [Ash...I'm...sorry...] he wheezed.

In the stands, Misty and Brock watched as Ash summoned Cyndy. "Nice choice...Magneton, as a part Steel type, should have the disadvantage." Brock mused as Cyndy's Flamethrower and the Magneton's Thunderbolt clashed in the arena.

"I wouldn't be so sure..." Misty cautioned as Cyndy fired a cloud of smoke, then rained a Swift attack through the gray cloud while the Magneton was disoriented. "That Magneton looks pretty tough."

Both of them watched as the Magneton used Double Team to evade another Flamethrower. Cyndy growled with frustration over the seemingly hundreds of Magnetons before her, and blew out a fan of flames in a desperate hope of hitting the real one.

She gasped when she saw the Thunder Wave and Tri Attack combo that had knocked Tintri out before coming right at her! [Oh no...]

Ash winced at the massive explosion, but his heart sank as Cyndy weakly crawled back to him. [Sorry, Ash...he got me too...]

---------

"Luce, I choose you!" Ash called as he summoned his Ampharos. "Use Charge Beam!"

"Lumi, used Thunderbolt!" Jackson commanded.

The two attacks met in an electric explosion, which the Magneton evaded with Double Team.

Ash gasped in horror at the familiar attack. I can't let Luce fall here!

"Luce, jump and use Thunderbolt!" he nearly screamed, hoping that the evasive maneuver would be enough to keep him in the match.

His panicked look turned to joy as Luce twirled in the air as she charged the thunderbolt, making it fly in all directions to dispel the copies. "Well! That was quite clever." he smiled at the Ampharos when she landed at his side some moments later.

The hum of a Thunder Wave alerted her that the Magneton was about to use its deadly combo again, prompting her to conjure a shining yellow screen, causing the massive attack to fizzle out. "Good thinking on the Light Screen." Ash smiled. "Now, it's your turn to use Thunder Wave!"

He smiled as the yellow wave connected. "Okay! Use Charge Beam to spin Magneton around!"

"Round and round and round he goes, where he stops, no one knows!" Brock grinned as Luce twirled the Magneton in the air with Charge Beam and slammed her opponent to the ground.

---------

This is Gold's last Pokemon--this match has come down to the wire. the announcer reported as Jackson summoned a Meganium to face off against Luce.

"I'll say..." Misty mused as the majestic flower dinosaur-like Pokemon and the elegant yellow sheep-like Pokemon clashed in the arena. "Jackson's Meganium's pretty tough!"

"Whoa!" Brock gasped as Luce was wrapped in a Vine Whip, only to be pelted with Razor Leaves.

In the arena, Ash watched as Luce weaved around a barrage of Body Slams. Should I induce her here? Or would that be unfair to my opponent?

He looked down at his Mega Ring, the ruby teardrop in white gold glittering in the sun. The rules didn't say that you couldn't use Mega Evolution...and desperate times call for drastic measures...

He then held his right hand to the sky. Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

The power of its trainer's love inspires the Ampharos to evolve even farther! the announcer called as a burst of red light and thunderbolts stunned the crowd. Will it be enough for Silver to stay in the game?

[HAAAAAHHH!] Luce cried as she emerged from her Mega Evolution with another Thunderbolt.

She did not, however, see the flurry of Razor Leaves flying at her! [Oof!] she gasped as the spiked leaves sent her sliding back against the Silver safety barrier.

"Don't give up, Luce!" Ash called. "I induced you because I believe in you, and I love you!"

Inspired by her master's words, Luce threw herself against the Meganium in an attempt to counter a Body Slam, shoving the Meganium back long enough to fire a Charge Beam. The Charge Beam hooked on to Meganium's neck, allowing Luce to pelt it with more Thunderbolts.

---------

"Why are neither of them taking time to evade attacks?" Misty asked as the Meganium and the Mega Ampharos continued to grapple in the arena.

"I think that to both the Meganium and Luce, the battle may be of pride as well as glory." Brock explained as he watched another grass-electric explosion fly. "Therefore, both of them are willing to take as much as they are willing to give."

"That makes sense..." Misty mused as both combatants charged at each other again for one last desperate attack.

Neither of them, however, expected the force of the clash to knock both Pokemon out! Game Set! This round is a tie! the announcer called. Silver is going to the Victory Tournament!

"YES!!!" Ash tossed his cap in the air in celebration.

He offered his hand to Jackson as he met him in the center of the arena. "Well done...I don't know what you did to train your Meganium, but please keep doing it." he smiled as he shook hands with his opponent.

"And to you likewise--you must love your Ampharos very much in order to Mega Evolve her." Jackson agreed. "Good luck in the Victory Tournament!"

---------

"Okay...Harrison advanced from his group, as did Gary." Ash reported from the PC later that evening.

"Do they have the final bracket for the Victory Tournament posted yet?" Misty asked as she arrived in the living room with dinner.

Ash opened the Victory Tournament bracket in a new tab, and gasped when he saw who his opponent was. "No way...I'm facing off against Gary in the first round???"

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 01-25-2018 at 02:18 PM.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 118a: The Ties That Bind (part 1)

Ash fumed as he started down the hallway of the dorm towards the food court. I can't believe it...my first-round opponent in the Victory Tournament is none other than Gary, my eternal rival.

He met Gary emerging from a stairwell. "Well well...if you're gonna get some munchies, get some mints to wash out the sour taste my beating you's gonna leave in your mouth!" Gary smirked.

"Actually, I was gonna scope out dessert--cause my victory's gonna be sweet after all those years of losses and close calls!" Ash shot back.

"Oh yeah? Then why did you not let me have that rusted Poke Ball?" Gary countered as the two boys started back down the hall towards Ash's dorm.

"You still remember that?" Ash gasped. "If I recall correctly, we both got it at the same time!"

"Eat some more fish to boost that memory, Ash--I got it first, fair and square." Gary shot back. "Just like how I'm gonna sweep you in the match in a few days!"

"My team is not weak!" Ash roared back. "You'll find I'm more than a match for you!"

"We'll see in a few days...until then, smell ya later!" With that, Gary continued down the hall and around a corner, leaving Ash to stew by the entrance to his room.

Misty opened the door a few moments later, snapping him from his angry thoughts. "Ash? Is everything okay? Brock heard you and Gary yelling outside, and asked me to break it up, but it looks like the party's over..."

"Gary brought up the incident that set our rivalry into motion..." Ash explained as he came inside to the room, aware of Brock practicing his guitar in the main room. "Before I can properly tell you the story, there's something I have to show you guys..."

After rummaging through his bag and finding a dusty white half of an old Poke Ball in a pocket. he explained to Misty and Brock. "Okay...Brock, some appropriate music, please."

Brock started a wistful melody in A minor filled with ornamentation as Ash began "This event took place a few days before I left to start my Pokemon journey..."

---------

In Ash's memory, a younger Ash and a younger Gary were fishing by a stream. "Gary and me were fishing by a little stream that ran by Pallet." Ash explains via voiceover as Young Ash casts his line into the water. "At first, things were a little slow, but late in the morning I managed to catch a Magikarp." Just then, Young Ash's line begins jerking in time to Brock trilling a note. "I did my best to reel it in, but it proceeded to slap me in the face before falling back in the water." Ash explains as this happens in the flashback.

Young Gary proceeds to say some mocking gibberish as Ash continues "Gary, on the other side of the stream, saw the whole thing, and proceeded to taunt me in both my skills and knowledge of Pokémon, or perceived lack thereof. In my embarrassment and humiliation, I was unable to name any of Magikarp's attacks, including the Flail that was used on me."

Time passes in the flashback to the next day, as Young Ash and Young Gary settle in on opposite sides of the stream. "We had always liked the stream as a fishing and a swimming spot, and after that, the rivalry escalated to the point that both of us were fishing in the same spot, but from opposite banks.

"Wow..." Misty comments via voiceover as both Young Ash and Young Gary's lines begin jerking in time to another trilled note. "One day, we both managed to catch something at the same time." Ash went on. "It turned out that we both had caught onto the same rusted Poké Ball." Young Ash and young Gary balk in surprise over what they actually caught. "After a brief tug-of-war, the Poké Ball broke in half." Ash explains as Young Ash and Young Gary pull the Poke Ball back and forth for a few moments, until it snaps apart in time to a hard chord from Brock.

"Though I was willing to accept that the 'fishing battle' was a draw, Gary took it a loss, as, in his words, 'tying with me was just as bad as losing' - a position that he held to this very day." Young Gary sticks out his tongue at Young Ash as the song and the flashback end.

---------

"I kept my half of the Poké Ball as a good luck charm." Ash concluded his story some time later. "I guess losing to Gary and Eevee taught me that I wasn't ready to take him on at the time, but I've come a long way since then--and I am more then prepared for the match!"

"I love that you are raring to show Gary just how far you've come, but tomorrow is a rest day, with the Victory Tournament starting the day after." Misty reminded Ash.

"I would recommend that you use tomorrow to prepare your strategy, much like I will be doing for the Grand Lore Stage." Brock agreed. "You've said it yourself many times--the first rule of battle is 'know thy enemy'."

---------

"I'm back!" Misty called as she returned the next day. "We did very well in the Lamp Jump this time, and--!"

She stopped in her tracks to find the boys had buried themselves in books--Brock to find a story for the next round of the Grand Lore Stage, and Ash preparing his strategy. "Ash is taking this match for the ages very seriously--he hasn't slept since last night." Brock reported as he copied down the bones of a story he liked from a book. "I took a break to sleep after ten, but left Ash some Verde Power to keep awake."

A smile formed on Brock's face. "Although, with enough caffeine, Ash is quite the computer guru."

"And...it's done!" Ash smiled as he motioned for Misty to join him by the PC. "I did a little digging on the League Web site, and Gary has ten Pokemon on his profile, so I've made a little video explaining how I plan to counter them all."

Just as he clicked the ReelView icon, he balked at an error message. "What do you mean, there was an error retrieving 'GaryStrat.avi' from the cloud, please try again later?"

"Maybe ReelView's servers are under maintenance right now." Misty assured Ash. "You can tell us your strategy over breakfast, okay?"

---------

"Okay...Gary has no particular type preference, just like his grandad Prof. Oak, and he keeps rotating his Pokémon." Brock began as he studied Gary's profile in the Victory Tournament bracket on his PokeNav.

"You'd be right--he has been that way for as long as I have known him." Ash replied before biting into a sausage egg and cheese biscuit.

"I will reiterate that your team-building strategy will be crucial, so I got you a little extra help." Brock grinned.

Just then, Ash saw a shadow flying overhead. "What in the..."

His confused look turned to joy as a familiar Charizard heaved a Flamethrower into the sky to greet him. "Blaze! What a surprise!"

[Brock told Liza about your impending match last night, so I made the trip here to lend you a hand.] Blaze purred as Ash hugged him.

Ash noticed Gary approaching out of the corner of his eye. There you are...

The village plaza was silent as Ash and Gary stared each other down, each boy not wanting to move a muscle or say anything to the other. Not even the bird Pokemon wanted to sing--the world seemed to be holding its breath to see what the two rivals would do.

"There you are!" a voice called, startling both Ash and Gary.

"Gramps?" Gary balked at Professor Oak arriving.

"Mom?" Ash was equally surprised at the brown haired woman coming to meet him.

"Surprise." Delia smiled as she embraced Ash. "Professor Oak and I decided to come watch the Silver Conference live instead of on TV. Don't worry, your dad's looking after the house with Mimey."

"I don't know what the occasion for the staring contest was, but I have a gift for each of you." Prof. Oak began before showing Ash and Gary two upgrade chips. "I've received a lot of new Pokémon data from a colleague, so let me update your Pokedexes for you--it won't take very long."

"Thanks!" Ash smiled as he eagerly handed Prof. Oak his Pokedex.

"Yeah, thanks, Gramps!" Gary smiled.

After waiting a moment for the upgrade to complete Professor Oak returned the Pokedexes "There we are...your Pokedexes are now up to date to the Houen region."

"Nice!" Misty smiled. "I wonder what else we can learn about the Houen Pokemon we've seen so far."

"Or what lore those Pokemon have." Brock agreed as he watched Gary pocket his Pokedex and depart.

"Ash..." Delia began. "Remember that a little preparation goes a long way--Gary's not going to hold anything back tomorrow, so you need to bring your A game."

"I'll bring more than that--I'm bringing my S game!" Ash smiled.

"Well, no matter what happens tomorrow, your dad and I will always be proud of you." Delia assured Ash. "Even if you just improve on how you did at home, that's a reason enough to celebrate. You've worked hard to get this far, but remember to stay calm and focused, even though there likely will be some high emotions out there."

She looked over at Misty and Brock nodding in agreement. "Above all, the Pokemon League is not about winning and losing--it's about doing your very best."

"Thanks..." Ash smiled as he hugged Delia again, a tear of pride rolling down his cheek. With everyone rooting for me, I'm more determined than ever to beat Gary!

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 118b: The Ties that Bind! (part 2)

The Silver Stadium was electric as fans--many of them holding signs and other items emblazoned with the L-marking on Ash's hat or a stylized version of Gary's signature medallion--made their way into the stadium. "Welcome to the Silver Stadium in Johto, where one of the hottest rivalries of last year's Kanto League gets an epic rematch in a new region." a dark brown haired female sportscaster began. "Hello everyone, I'm Tina Carson, where we are getting set for Round 2 of one of the most electrifying matchups of last year's Indigo League--Ash Ketchum vs. Gary Oak."

She then turned to address her partner, a young man with dull blond hair. "Alex, what's changed since these two young trainers met on an ice field at Indigo Plateau last year?"

"For one thing, the stakes are higher." the man replied. "The matchup went viral on social media overnight, with 'TeamKetchum' and 'TeamOak' hashtags trending on Chitter, MyTube, Pokebook, and Memogram within hours with no sign of slowing down. Last time, it was only a two on two match--today, these two are also going at it with a full compliment of six Pokemon a side."

"We should also mention that today's matchup is also a matter of pride--Gary is the grandson of Kanto's own Prof. Oak, and Ash came in the Sweet 16 of the Kanto League." Tina continued via voiceover as the TV cameras cut to show scenes of Macy, Jackson, Ethan, Lyra, and fans excitedly showing off signs and other items supporting Ash or Gary. "But today these rivals meet as equals in Silver Stadium, with Ash matching how he did last year."

The scene cut away to show the stadium. "Today's match is a full six on six battle with a random selection of battlefields." Alex explained. "Our competitors can expect to see grass, water, rock, and ice-based fields..."

---------

"Harrison!" Ash called as he dashed through the boys' locker rooms, where Harrison was gathering his belongings. "I wanted to say congrats on winning your match earlier today." he explained.

"Thanks." Harrison smiled. "I'm amazed how everyone is going nuts over your match here in a bit...I really hope you win, so I can get a chance to battle you in the quarterfinals."

"I'll do my best." Ash smiled. "So, are you part of my team?"

Harrison nodded. "'TeamKetchum' all the way."

After waving goodbye to Harrison, Ash emerged from the locker room to find a crowd of fans with "TeamKetchum" signs and Tina waiting for him. "Ash, what's going on in your head right now as you prepare to face your opponent?" Tina asked him.

"Well, aside from nervousness, I'm feeling confident and focused." Ash replied. "I understand that Gary's not going to hold anything back, so I need to bring more than my A game--I'm bringing my S game!"

More cheers and applause filled the air as Ash's fans suddenly heard Gary's cheerleaders chanting "Go, TeamOak! Go TeamOak! Go TeamOak! Go! Go!" as Alex finished up his own interview with Gary on the other sideline.

Inspired, Harrison started cheering "Brickabracka, firecracka, sis boom bah! Ash Ketchum, Ash Ketchum, rah, rah, rah!" as he emerged from the locker room.

"Brickabracka, firecracka, sis boom bah! Ash Ketchum, Ash Ketchum, rah, rah, rah!" the fans joined in, eagerly chanting as Ash made his way to the Silver side of the arena. "Brickabracka, firecracka, sis boom bah! Ash Ketchum, Ash Ketchum, rah, rah, rah!"

"As you can hear, excitement and spirit is running high for both sides." Tina continued over the chanting. "When we come back, the match of the ages will finally get underway!"

---------

[Brickabracka, firecracka, sis boom bah! Ash Ketchum, Ash Ketchum, rah, rah, rah!] Tintri cheered, waving a pair of fans in the air as Misty arrived in the stands, then hurried to rejoin his master as Brock, Brenna, Ami, Hinata, and Hitomi watched Ash made his way into the arena, flanked by his own parcel of cheering fans. "How did the Ring Drop go?" Brock asked as Misty took the seat next to him overlooking the Silver side of the arena

"Very well--Aurora turned out to be a great choice for the Ring Drop." Misty replied, aware of the chanting around her. "Everyone seems to be getting into the spirit of Ash vs. Gary, Part 2..."

"They've been getting into it ever since the matchup was announced..." Brock explained as he perused Pokebook on his PokeNav. "Have their own hashtags and everything. Not just that, but kids are watching it in class, and offices everywhere are having watch parties, so this is a pretty big deal."

"This would explain all the 'TeamKetchum' and 'TeamOak' hashtags all over my own Pokebook feed..." Misty mused.

A wave of cheers snapped her to attention--Ash and Gary were taking their places in the arena! "Log off, Brock--the match is about to start!"

---------

This is it! The Victory Tournament gets underway with one of the most hotly anticipated matches in League history! the announcer began as Gary summoned a large blue dinosaur-like Pokemon. Two rivals have come to this storied arena, but only one will advance farther into the tournament!

"Aina, I choose you!" Ash called as he heaved a Poke Ball skyward, revealing Aina before the huge Pokemon Gary commanded. I've seen Gary with a Nidoking before, so this must be the female Nidoqueen! I hope striking first with a Fighting type gets me the advantage!

"Nidoqueen, start with a Rock Smash!" Gary called.

[WAAAAAAAHHH!!!] Aina cried as she did her best to leap and jump past the rocks raining around her.

"Focus, Aina! Use Superpower!" Ash commanded.

He smiled as Aina managed to push through the oncoming rocks thanks to the familiar aura of Superpower. But his confidence turned to horror as Gary's Nidoqueen Ursaring-hugged her, and then fired a Hyper Beam at point blank range, easily knocking Aina out of the match.

"Are all your Pokemon gonna be that easy?" Gary taunted, to cheers from his fans in the stadium.

"That was just the scout--now for the heavy hitters!" Ash shot back as he heaved another Poke Ball skyward. "River, I choose you!"

"Nidoqueen, return!" Gary called before finding a second Poke Ball of his own. "Magmar, let's turn up the heat!"

Ash gasped as the Magmar unleashed a Flamethrower, but heaved a sigh of relief as River weaved around the fire and fired a Water Pulse! The crowd watched in awe as the Magmar went flying up into the air, blowing out the familiar kanji of Fire Blast as he fell back to earth.

Some "ooh"s filled the air as the Magmar and the Fire Blast landed on River at the same time! Hammered where it hurt! the announcer commented as the Magmar used a point blank Flamethrower to weaken River even more!

[I...must...be...strong...] River heaved, to some applause as she stood up and brushed away the char. [But I'm stronger than you, Mr. Volcano!]

With that, she heaved another Water Pulse in the direction of another wave of flames, buying her enough time to streak through the water her previous attack created and slam into the Magmar with Aqua Jet, knocking it out.

"Well, color me impressed." Gary smirked. "Let's see how Miss Mousie fares against some real firepower!"

Ash was awed at the familiar giant turtle with water cannons in its shell that Gary summoned. That is Blastoise - the final form of Squirtle, and the most powerful Pokémon on Gary's team! But I'll just fight water with water!

He took a deep breath and called "River, try Bubblebeam!"

The stadium seemed to hold its breath as the wave of Hydro Pump and the flurry of rainbow bubbles clashed in the middle of the arena...

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 02-01-2018 at 03:34 AM.

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 119: Can't Beat the Heat!

Previously, on "Pokemon Moonlight Silver"...

Ash was awed at the familiar giant turtle with water cannons in its shell that Gary summoned. That is Blastoise - the final form of Squirtle, and the most powerful Pokémon on Gary's team! But I'll just fight water with water!

He took a deep breath and called "River, try Bubblebeam!"

The stadium seemed to hold its breath as the wave of Hydro Pump and the flurry of rainbow bubbles clashed in the middle of the arena...

After what felt like an eternity, River tried to dive behind a rock. She did not, however, expect the Hydro Pump to blast through the rock, knocking her out. [Ash...I'm sorry...]

Ash was unfazed by losing his Marill. "You made a heroic effort, River...now get some rest." he smiled as he recalled the fainted Marill and returned to his end of the arena. "Luce, let's go!"

He watched in horror as Gary's Blastoise charged at Luce, but much to his relief, Luce didn't even bat at eye as Blastoise slammed into her with Skull Bash. If anything, she had only slid backwards from the force of the attack.

[You forget I can give you the shock of your life!] Luce taunted before charging a huge ball of electricity.

"Blastoise, use Rapid Spin to deflect the Electro Ball!" Gary called.

Luce, meanwhile, braced herself as Gary's Blastoise whirled in her direction, dispelling her first attack on the way. She managed to grab the Blastoise some seconds later, and pin him to the ground. [Gotcha now!]

[Oh yeah?] the Blastoise growled as he wriggled free from Luce's grip and blasted a Hydro Pump at Luce!"

"Luce, come back!" Ash quickly recalled Luce, leaving the Hydro Pump to splatter against the Silver safety barrier. "Tintri, you ready?"

[Oh yeah!] Tintri squeaked as he dashed into the battlefield.

Maybe speed will provide a good advantage over Blastoise! Ash thought as Tintri wove around Blastoise's second attempt at Hydro Pump, then tried to fire a Thunderbolt,

Tintri grimaced as his attack was deflected by Rapid Spin. Let's try something I know will hit--Shockwave!

But before he could start charging the attack, he did not expect Blastoise to pounce on him and bite him! [Ash...he was too much...]

---------

Time out--Silver. the announcer called as Ash made a T signal to the referee, then hurried over to the sidelines, where Brock was waiting.

"Just watching Ash and Gary battle like this reminds me of how they used to always re-enact favorite battles from the movies and their favorite TV shows." Prof. Oak sighed with nostalgia. "Gary didn't mind playing the villain almost all the time, either--but I did make a rule to let him be the hero every once in a while."

"Ash may be down now, but he's far from out." Delia agreed. "Ever since he was very little, he has always had a courageous and heroic spirit. Even though he took more to music than sports, he would never give up on learning a song until he got it right--I have never had to remind him to practice. He just knows when it's time to practice, and doesn't let the wrong notes or difficult passages get him down--just like his Pokemon training." She let that hang as the time out expired.

---------

"Okay...Gary summons Arcanine, and Ash is sending out Mina..." Brock mused as the battle resumed in the arena. "Even though Blastoise was worn down a little from before, it is fairly safe to assume that Gary is saving Blastoise for last."

"Whoa!" Misty gasped as Arcanine used Take Down to charge straight at Mina, who responded with Wing Attack.

In the arena, Ash watched as Arcanine evaded the attack, and traps Mina inside a fiery tornado he recognized as Fire Spin. "Mina, break free with a Sky Attack!"

The stadium was in awe as Mina, now in the form of what looked like a red streak, broke free from the fire to fly high in the air, slamming into Arcanine moments later. "Bullseye." Ash smiled as Mina landed at his side.

He watched Gary summon Nidoqueen again. "Careful, Mina--Nidoqueen can also learn Hyper Beam, so it's best to assume Gary's Nidoqueen knows it."

[Got it!] Mina smiled before flying back into battle.

She was caught by surprise as Nidoqueen forced her to the ground with a Double Kick! [Ow...] Mina winced before spotting a familiar orange beam aimed at her. She quickly worked up the strength to take flight, veering away from the Hyper Beam!

[HAH!!!!!] Mina streaked back at Gary's Nidoqueen and slammed into her with an Aerial Ace, finally knocking out the dinosaur Pokemon.

Misty gasped as Gary summoned a Scizor. "I have a bad feeling about this..." she stammered as Mina tried to blow away the metallic bug with a Hurricane, only to receive a Metal Claw to the face.

"Ash set up his entries with raw power in mind, and it's possible that his two remaining Pokémon will have trouble against Scizor." Brock explained as Ash welcomed back Luce to the fight. "But this is Ash, here--comebacks when against the wall are some of his best comebacks!"

In the arena, Luce easily absorbed a Quick Attack, then fired a Charge Beam, which Scizor evaded and countered with Metal Claw. But Ash did not expect Scizor to lift and throw Luce into the air. "NO!!!" he screamed as Luce succumbed to a Swift attack.

Gasps filled the stadium at the ruthless turn of events. "Blaze, see if you can win this one for me!" Ash cried as he summoned his Charizard onto the field to face Gary's Scizor.

The remaining Pokemon count is 3 to 1! The battle has become one sided! the announcer called as Blaze landed on the field.

Gary, meanwhile, was unfazed. "I figured that you'd save your Charizard for last..."

He then turned business-like again. "Scizor, let's finish this with Steel Wing!"

Ash swallowed hard as he held his right hand to the sky, aware of the Scizor flying in to attack Blaze all the while. Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

"WHAT???" Gary gasped as Blaze was engulfed in a flash of red light and thunderbolts, which shielded Blaze from the Scizor's attack.

Wow! The power of Mega Evolution! the announcer cried. Will it be enough to turn the tide of battle for Silver? Or will Gold advance to the next round? he asked as Blaze emerged as Mega Charizard Y.

The battle has become one sided indeed... Ash grinned. "Blaze, use Flamethrower!"

The Scizor jumped to avoid the attack, but a determined smile formed on Ash's face. "You're not getting away this time!" he cried as Blaze took flight, delivering a wave of fire to Scizor.

"You still have two more to face, if you were expecting a miracle..." Gary cautioned before heaving a Poke Ball skyward "Meet Golem!"

"Wow..." Misty was impressed at the massive rock Pokemon.

"Even with Mega Evolution, Blaze will have a hard time against a Golem, thanks to the double weakness to Rock types." Brock explained as the Golem stunned blaze with a Magnitude attack. "But Ash is not backing down--he's gonna do everything he can to mount a comeback."

"Come on, Team Ketchum! Let me hear you!" Misty called to the Ash supporters in the stands as Blaze attempted to Seismic Toss Golem, but failed.

"No wonder Blaze struggled--a Golem is second only to Snorlax in terms of mass." Prof. Oak as he and Delia watched Golem land back on its feet and start rolling at Blaze.

Ash recognized the attack as Rollout. Bad flashbacks of Whitney... "Blaze, use Dragon Rage!"

"Brickabracka, firecracka, sis boom bah! Ash Ketchum, Ash Ketchum, rah, rah, rah!" Misty and the other Ash supporters in the stands cheered as Blaze heaved a wave of purple flames, engulfing the Golem and knocking it out.

---------

Gold now has one Pokemon remaining! Can Silver manage to complete a stunning comeback? the announcer asked the crowd.

"Brickabracka, firecracka, sis boom bah! Ash Ketchum, Ash Ketchum, rah, rah, rah!" Misty and Brock led the cheers from the stands, which resonated around the stadium. "Brickabracka, firecracka, sis boom bah! Ash Ketchum, Ash Ketchum, rah, rah, rah!"

Ash and Blaze watched as Gary summoned Blastoise again. "Hear that?" he asked Blaze as the fans cheered for him. "The world's cheering for us."

[I'll do my best to give'em a comeback win for the history books!] Blaze purred before heaving a Flamethrower.

The cheers were silenced as Blaze's attack was deflected by Rapid Spin, but then the huge bird-dragon took a Hydro Pump to the face.

Relieved applause filled the air as Blaze took to the skies, bolstered by millions of fans cheering "Brickabracka, firecracka, sis boom bah! Ash Ketchum, Ash Ketchum, rah, rah, rah!" down below.

"Blaze, try to approach from the air!" Ash called as Blaze wove around volley after volley of Hydro Pumps.

[I'm trying!] Blaze called back. [I just need to find an opening!]

"Even though we were all taught that Fire attacks aren't very effective against Water-types, sometimes they do work." Brock explained to Ethan and Lyra. "Blaze will need a close-range attack to have a good shot of knocking out Blastoise against the type advantage."

He let that hang before rallying the crowd. "Come on everyone! Lend Blaze your power!"

"Brickabracka, firecracka, sis boom bah! Ash Ketchum, Ash Ketchum, rah, rah, rah!" Misty resumed leading the cheers for the courageous Mega Charizard Y weaving around water volleys.

Just then, something dawned on Ash as he looked around the battlefield. Say...although Blaze's attacks have missed Blastoise, the fire that has hit the rocks have been left red hot and somewhat melted...

An idea came to him. "Blaze, burn the field instead of attacking Blastoise!"

"What???" Gary gasped as his Blastoise was held helpless by the searing hot ground. I didn't know Ash was gonna do this...this is something that not even a type advantage could cover.

"It's working!" Lyra cried as Blastoise's efforts to cool the field only ended up cloaking it in steam.

"Come on Blaze!" Ethan called as Charizard and Blastoise grappled in close combat. "You can do it!"

He watched as Blastoise managed to duck out of a Dragon Rage, but Blaze attempted to throw him with a Seismic Toss. In despration, Blastoise tried to bite Blaze, but Blaze was unfazed as he easily picked up Blastoise and flew skyward, diving to the still hot ground and slamming him!

Murmurs filled the air as Blaze landed by Ash's side. "Did we do it?" Ash asked.

Blaze watched as Blastoise struggled to get up, but succumbed to the damage it took! [Congrats, bud--you just finished one for the history books.]

GAME SET! By a miracle, this match's winner is Silver! the announcer cried, making the stadium explode in cheers!

Ash stood motionless as what he had just done sank in. "I did it...I finally beat Gary..."

He heaved his hat skyward in pure euphoria as Blaze roared in triumph. "I FINALLY BEAT GARY!!!!"

After catching his hat, he hugged Blaze. "Thank you...I couldn't have done it without you."

[Anytime, sport.] Blaze purred. [You gave your all, and I gave mine--that's what partners do.]

---------

"Ash?" Gary asked as he met Ash by the lake later that night. "Got a minute?"

"What is it?" Ash wondered as Gary sat by him on the shore. "You're not mad about losing today, are you?"

"Nah--I'm not ashamed that I lost." Gary assured Ash. "You wholeheartedly earned your win, and I have mad respect for your incredible comeback--kudos."

He rummaged for something in his bag for a moment. "You remember that fishing contest when we were little, when we found that old Poke Ball?" he asked as he unearthed the red half of the Poke Ball. "I've been thinking about it...when I admittedly tied in that contest, my own brashness and naive dreams of glory got the better of me, and I took it as a loss when it really wasn't a loss in the first place."

Ash retrieved the white half of the Poke Ball. "Let's see if these will fit back together at all."

Much to Ash's joy and Gary's relief, the two halves fit easily back together with a click. "They fit!"

Gary just grinned. "I may have given ya a lot of flack before, but I'm done being Mr. Cocky. You won fair and square today, and I accept that."

The two of them shook hands as friends for what seemed like the first time in a long time. "No matter what happens in your next match, Ash...I'm on Team Ketchum now."

"Thanks!" Ash smiled as he embraced Gary--no more his rival, but his friend.

"Although, what was that magic song you sang that turned Blaze into a bird-dragon?" Gary wondered.

"That was my Heart Song--and how I can induce Mina, Luce, and Blaze to Mega Evolve." Ash explained. "A Heart Song, when sung, conveys the trainer's emotion to the Pokemon and resonates with the emotions in the Pokemon's heart, inducing Mega Evolution in certain Pokemon."

Gary nodded, and motioned for Ash to continue. "No two trainers will have the same song, and even then, many trainers choose to never sing their Heart Song..."

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 120: Playing with Fire!

"Tintri, here we go!" Ash called as he watched his faithful Pikachu dart onto the Silver side of the arena to begin a new battle on a plains field the next morning.

"Indra, let's do this!" Harrison called, summoning an exotic green lizard Pokemon with yellow stripes onto the Gold side of the arena.

Ash balked at the odd Pokemon, and made a T signal to the referee. A time out already--it seems Silver wants to size up the opponent. the announcer commented as Ash read up on his opponent:

"Kecleon, the color swap Pokemon. It has ability to alter its body colors to match its surroundings. However, it will revert to its original colors if it is startled."

"I see..." Ash mused, pocketing his Pokedex as his time out expired. "Tintri, try to catch Indra off guard!"

[Where?] Tintri called back as Indra seemingly disappeared. [I can't see him!]

He did not expect to see a long prehensile tongue to lick him from seemingly nowhere. [Oh, ew! Ew!]

Harrison watched as his Kecleon tossed Tintri with its tongue. "Indra, use Psybeam!"

Tintri braced himself as he took the rainbow beam the Kecleon fired, then darted away into the grass in an attempt to barricade himself.

He gasped as Indra began cutting the grass with his tongue. I have to do something before he finds me...but what?

Inspired, he ran behind the cloaked Kecleon and grabbed its tail, thanks to being able to see its coils. [HAAAAAAAAH!!!] he screeched as he fired a Thunderbolt, knocking Indra out.

Harrison was unfazed. "You should recognize Hanzo!" he called as he heaved another Poke Ball skyward.

Oh yeah--the Sneasel Harrison captured before the tournament opened! Tintri remembered as a familiar Sneasel materialized before him.

He started charging another Thunderbolt, but did not see Hanzo charging at him with silvery claws!

Ash winced when he heard the KA-WHANG! of Hanzo's attack impacting. "Tintri!"

[I'm sorry...] Tintri wheezed as Ash picked him up. [I never saw that...coming...]

"You did fine, okay?" Ash assured Tintri before he was whisked away on a rescue stretcher to the onsite Pokemon Center.

He then heaved a Poke Ball skyward. "River, here we go!"

River attempted firing a Water Gun, but was met by Hanzo's metallic claws. In desperation, River tried ramming the Sneasel with an Aqua Jet. The wave sent Hanzo stumbling backwards, to the crowd's murmurs.

Ash smiled. "River, use Water Pulse!"

Harrison winced as the shining wave knocked his Sneasel out. "Morpheus, you're up!"

Ash watched as a yellow humanoid Pokemon he recognized as Hypno appeared on the Gold side of the field. "River, try Disarming Voice!"

Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... River's tiny voice rang through the stadium, but the Hypno didn't even bat an eye at the glowing sound wave that bounced right off of it.

[You are getting sleepy...] Morpheus began as waves of hypnosis went flying from his hands, making River slump to the ground, asleep.

Once sure River was asleep, Morpheus conjured a Psychic blast, sending River flying against the Silver safety barrier.

That was cheap... Ash thought as he found his next Poke Ball. "Luce, come on out!"

He sweatdropped and the crowd roared with laughter as Luce materialized on the Silver side sleeping peacefully. [Well, well well...saves me a bit of work!] Morpheus grinned as he conjured a blue energy ball in an attempt to extract Luce's dream.

[mm...what?] Luce woke with a jump, dissipating the Dream Eater attack before it could extract her dream. [Trying to have my dreams for a snack, are we?] she growled as she charged a Charge Beam. [Go snack on someone else's dream!]

Shocked by the turn of events, Harrison made a T signal to a referee. Time out--Gold. the announcer reported as Harrison asked the referee a question...

---------

Meanwhile, in the Grand Pokethlon Dome, Misty and Michelle made their way into the arena for the next event. "Next up is the Circle Push--do you remember that event?" Misty asked her faithful Golduck.

[Yeah, the one where you try and score the most points by staying in the circle, and pushing others out.] Michelle replied. [I still have fond memories of Ami's grand showing...]

"Well, for now, let's put on a show of our own for this crowd." Misty reminded Michelle.

She looked out over to the main arena in the distance. Ash...I hope you're giving your all against Harrison...

The announcer calling "Ready!" snapped her to attention. "Remember, Michelle--sometimes it's a better idea to start with the low scoring circles instead of going for the high scoring ones right away."

[I'll keep that in mind.] Michelle replied as she braced herself for the start of the competition...

---------

"Mina, let's go!" Ash heaved another Poke Ball skyward.

"Titan, I choose you!" Harrison did likewise, revealing a Steelix of his own in the arena.

"Mina, try Aerial Ace, then I'll try to induce you!" Ash called as the Steelix started whipping up a Sandstorm.

[No go, Ash--I can't see anything!] Mina called back as she tried desperately to fly through the sand.

"MINA!!!" Ash screamed as Titan hit Mina from below with a Dig attack, sending her fluttering to the ground. Luckily, Mina managed to right herself and tried to Pursue the Steelix, gaining a pinkish aura.

Ash growled in frustration as Titan's silver tail whacked Mina to the ground. So much for that idea... he thought as he found Luce's Poke Ball and re-summoned the Ampharos.

[You forget your thunderbolts can't hurt me!] Titan taunted as he wrapped himself around Luce, making the Charge Beam she was charging fizzle out.

Ash winced as he watched Titan use Crunch on Luce. "Luce, try Power Gem!"

[HAH!] Luce created a shining diamond and sent it flying at Titan, freeing her and knocking her opponent out. [Easy as pie.] she assured Ash.

She saw Harrison had summoned Anubis as his next Pokemon. [Let's show him the power of Mega Evolution!]

Ash nodded, then held his right hand skyward. Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

Here it is--Mega Evolution! the announcer commented as Luce was engulfed in a burst of red thunderbolts.

When Luce emerged as Mega Ampharos some moments later, the crowd gasped as Anubis braced for the Charge Beam Luce was charging, then redirected the attack back at Luce! "No way...I didn't know Houndoom could use Counter!" Ethan gasped as Luce fainted from the power of the attack.

"Nor did I know that Houndoom could Counter a Mega Pokemon." Brock was equally surprised as Ash summoned Aina.

Harrison was just as surprised. "How? You must be very brave, pitting a Machop against a Houndoom..."

"I believe in Aina." Ash replied before turning business-like again. "Use Superpower!"

"We need to encourage Ash a bit..." Ethan mused as Lyra joined him and Brock in the stands, just as a Flamethrower from Anubis broke Aina's Superpower aura.

"Let's see if our little cheer from his match yesterday still has its magic!" Lyra suggested before cheering "Brickabracka, firecracka, sis boom bah! Ash Ketchum, Ash Ketchum, rah, rah, rah!"

"Brickabracka, firecracka, sis boom bah! Ash Ketchum, Ash Ketchum, rah, rah, rah!" Brock, Ethan, and several others in the stands joined in as Anubis charged to bite Aina, and Aina attempted to Karate Chop Anubis. When both attacks missed, Aina next attempted Submission on Anubis, which pinned Anubis to the ground.

Once sure the Houndoom was not getting up, Aina leaped in the air for a Body Slam...

---------

"Ash is doing very well in this match. Harrison is down to his last Pokémon—Apollo the Blaziken." Professor Oak mused as he joined the group in the stands.

"I don't know..." Lyra cautioned. "Aina still has to battle another fully evolved Pokémon." She let that hang as the Blaziken kicked away the Machop into the safety barrier, to concerned murmurs from the crowd.

"Aina..." Ash began as Aina shakily got up. "Try to stay away from Apollo as much as you can."

[Noted--if they make Pokemon aspirin, I'm gonna need some in the morning.] Aina moaned as she got up.

"Try Superpower!" Ash called.

He watched in horror as Apollo intercepted the attack, then countered with Fire Punch, knocking Aina out.

Both sides now have only one Pokemon remaining! This match has come down to the wire! the announcer reported as Ash summoned Blaze.

Okay...I know this will be challenging as Blaze is a high level Pokémon, plus Ash can induce him into Mega Charizard Y. Harrison thought. I, on the other hand, have not awakened my Heart Song, and so I can't induce Apollo.

Both trainers called at the same time "Use Flamethrower!" creating a huge ball of fire in the stadium...

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 121: Johto Photo Finish

Number K-93098, performing "The Legend of Daniel the Daring." an announcer explained as Brock took his place in the Grand Lore Stage arena.

Brock looked over at the main arena in the distance. Ash...I don't know how you're doing against Harrison right now, but here's hoping this tale will inspire you!

With that, he began his tale. "Long ago in Kanto, there lived a king with three sons--Gabriel, Nicholas, and Daniel were their names, in order from eldest to youngest. They were well known around the world as fine, brave young men, and many songs were sung and tales were told of their exploits...."

---------

Both sides have one Pokemon aside! This match has come down to the wire! the announcer cried as the massive fireball created from Blaze's and Apollo's attacks dissipated into a giant smoke cloud.

"Blaze, use Flamethrower again!" Ash called, smiling as Blaze heaved another fiery wave.

In the stands, Ethan balked as Apollo leaped over Blaze's attack. "Wow! I didn't know a Blaziken could jump that high!"

"I'll say..." Lyra was equally impressed.

Say...if Apollo can't move freely in the air... Ash thought. "Blaze, use Dragon Rage!"

He balked as Apollo veered away from the purple fire with a Quick Attack, then charged at Blaze! [Sometimes the better part of valor is discretion!] Blaze reminded Ash as he looped around Apollo's next wave of Flamethrower, then circled back around to use Flamethrower himself, creating another huge explosion!

He was knocked backwards by a Fire Punch, but shook off the pain and heaved the most powerful Flamethrower he could, hitting Apollo point blank!

"Come on, Apollo!" Harrison called. "Try Quick Attack again!"

Now's my chance! Ash smiled as Apollo shakily got up. I think I have Apollo on the ropes!

He next held his right hand skyward. Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul....

Harrison balked as Blaze was engulfed in a burst of fire and red thunderbolts. Mega Evolution! Will the power of love allow Silver to pull ahead? the announcer asked as Blaze emerged as Mega Charizard Y.

"Blaze, use Seismic Toss!" Ash called to the majestic bird-dragon on the field.

"How's Ash doing?" Misty asked as she arrived in the row where Ethan and Lyra were watching.

"It's neck and neck--Ash just induced Blaze in hopes of another miracle." Lyra reported back as she watched Blaze circle around in the air to home in on Apollo.

"I know just what he needs..." Misty smiled as she toyed with the medal she had just earned in the Grand Pokethlon.

As Blaze streaked towards Apollo, she cheered "Brickabracka, firecracka, sis boom bah! Ash Ketchum, Ash Ketchum, rah, rah, rah!"

"Brickabracka, firecracka, sis boom bah! Ash Ketchum, Ash Ketchum, rah, rah, rah!" Ethan and Lyra cheered as Blaze slammed into Apollo, sending him flying into the Gold safety barrier.

Game Set! This match's--! the announcer started before Apollo shakily stood up. Wait, Gold still has power left!

Ash watched as Blaze heaved another Flamethrower to counter Apollo's Quick Attack. "Okay! Try Seismic Toss!"

He did not, however, expect Apollo's feet to ignite, allowing him to deliver a powerful flaming kick to Blaze! "BLAAAAAAAAAZE!!!"

[HAAAAAAAHHHH!] Blaze roared back as he heaved a desperate Dragon Rage to meet Apollo's Flamethrower, despite the massive attack he had just taken.

When the smoke cleared some moments later, both Pokémon struggled to get up, to the murmurs of the crowd as Apollo was up first. "Blaze...are you okay?" Ash hurried to his Mega Charizard Y's side.

[I'm sorry, champ...] Blaze wheezed. [I did my best, but that fiery kick attack--whatever THAT was---was just too...] He then collapsed to the ground in exhaustion.

Ash listened in horror as the announcer told the crowd Game Set! This match's winner is...Gold! "No..." he finally whispered. "I was so close..."

He did his hardest to fight back tears as he ran to collect his fallen companion...

---------

"...A hundred kings and queens in all sat down to the wedding feast. The wedding lasted ninety-nine days and ninety-nine nights in all, and every night was better than the one before." Brock finally concluded his epic tale some time later.

The crowd exploded in applause as Brock took a bow. Number K-93098 is the winner, and is worthy of being called a Master of Lore! the announcer cried as the judges arrived with a gold medal depicting a rainbow coming from an open book.

"Thank you..." was all Brock could say as the gold medallion was slipped around his neck, to thunderous cheers.

As he departed the Grand Lore Stage arena, he found Ash on a bench wiping tears from his eyes. "What happened?" he asked as Misty, Ethan, and Lyra arrived.

"I...lost to Harrison." Ash choked out a reply as he wiped away a tear. "Harrison's Blaziken used this crazy powerful attack that even took down Blaze in Mega Evolved form!"

Delia arrived soon afterwards. "Oh, Ash...what happened?" she asked as she joined him on the bench.

Ash collected himself, then explained "It wasn't so much a crushing defeat as it was a crazy powerful attack Blaze had no chance against, even when Mega Evolved."

"Do you feel comfortable talking about it, or do you need your space?" Delia asked as she gave Ash a box of Kleenexes.

"I think I can talk about it a bit." Ash replied as he wiped away his tears.

"Well, no matter if it was a video game boss you couldn't beat, losing a game, or losing a Pokemon battle, I've always loved how you just seem to bounce back from a loss." Delia smiled. "It may hurt in the heat of the moment, but you are a good sport about it, and before long you're ready to go again."

"It's like Dad always says--even the losses have lessons." Ash agreed, a weak smile forming on his face.

"Well, what do you think you could learn from a close loss like this?" Delia asked.

"Sometimes the best offense is a good defense." Ash suggested.

Brock nodded in agreement. "Having said that, sometimes the loss will happen not because of something you did or did not do, but things beyond your control. Maybe this was one of those."

"You gave your best, true; but a true Pokemon Master strives to continually hone their skills, losses and all." Misty added.

"Thanks, you guys..." Ash smiled. "I feel better already."

---------

"Bye, Brenna..." Ash gave Brenna one last hug as Officer Jenny looked on. "Tell the Squad I said hi!"

[Okay!] Brenna replied before hurrying back to Officer Jenny's side.

Delia smiled as she admired the medallion Ash had received for reaching the top eight. "Elite Eight---even though you narrowly lost, you sill improved from your first League--and that's something to celebrate!"

Prof. Oak smiled. "You still gave your all in that match--you've improved a lot from your debut in the Kanto League. As to how to defeat a Blaziken's Blaze Kick--what that attack that took Blaze down was--it may be worth it to travel to Houen and see Blazikens and Kecleons in their native land."

"I may do that, but first I wanna head home and have a victory pizza party!" Ash smiled.

He smiled as Blaze landed by him, good as new. [Ah, nothing like a little TLC from Nurse Joy and her crew...] he purred. [You're not mad at me for choking on you, are ya?]

"Nope--we were just overwhelmed against an attack we had no chance against." Ash replied as he hugged Blaze. "Have a safe flight back, keep getting stronger...and tell Liza and the tribe I said hello!"

[I will--you know I'm only a whistle away if you need me.] Blaze replied.

After waving goodbye as Blaze took off into the setting sun, Ash turned to Misty and Brock, who both had medallions of their own. "So? How did you do in your competitions?"

"I got silver on the Water track..." Misty proudly showed Ash a silver medallion depicting the Pokethlon logo and a wave.

"...and I got a gold medal for 'The Legend of Daniel the Daring'." Brock showed Ash his own medal. "Pizza sounds wonderful about now..."

----------

That night, the group found Harrison by the nearby river, looking up at the moon and stars. "Got room for a few more?" Ash asked as he sat down on a nearby stump, while Misty sat down by the bank, and Brock looked on from nearby a tree.

"Sure..." Harrison replied. "You're not mad about losing to me?"

"Not at all--you are clearly stronger than me." Ash replied. "If I can, I wanna come down to Houen and compete in the League there."

"Well, you did great yourself." Harrison assured Ash. "Seeing you induce Blaze makes want to find where in Houen you can awaken Mega Evolution, and learn to induce Anubis and Apollo."

"Speaking of which...Apollo doing okay?" Brock asked.

"Apollo's going to be just fine." Harrison replied. "He's taken bigger beatings than that before."

He smiled. "I believe you would do very well against Houen's best, and maybe we can have a rematch."

"What's Prof. Birch like, for when I do make it down to Houen?" Ash wondered.

"He's very much a do-er." Harrison replied. "He'd much rather be out in the field doing research than trapped behind a desk. He has a son named Brendan--who is about your age."

"All the more reason to come--I'd like to meet him!" Ash smiled.

Harrison smiled back. "Well, I'm gonna get some sleep--you have safe travels yourselves."

"We will." Ash replied, waving as Harrison departed.

Gary arrived soon after. "I heard about your crushing defeat from Gramps..." he began. "I'm still proud of you for coming close."

"Thanks." Ash replied.

"After our match yesterday, I've been thinking..." Gary mused as he sat on the bank. "When a Magikarp evolves to a Gyarados and a Remoraid evolves into an Octillery, they change form completely. I think it's time I change form too--I wanna be a Pokémon researcher, like Gramps."

"Really?" Ash was shocked.

"Yeah...while I can't even begin to say sorry for all those times I was an arrogant hothead, I do regret all those nasty things I said and all those putdowns." Gary explained. "But will you at least forgive me for being a jerk? No more are we rivals...but friends."

"Yeah--it's always better to forgive and forget." Ash smiled as he embraced Gary. "I can't wait to see what amazing things you discover in your research!"

"And I can't wait to see what new and exotic places you travel to." Gary grinned.

"If I find any cool and exotic Pokemon while I'm challenging a League, you'll be the first to know!" Ash smiled back.

---------

"And so the League is over..." Misty smiled as she watched the medal ceremony and the presentation of the winner's cup on her PokeNav the next morning.

"I'm taking the back way to Pallet through the mountain..." Gary began. "Save me some of that pizza!"

"I'll tell Dad to save you some sausage." Ash replied before addressing Harrison. "So? Where are you going from here?"

"I'd be interested in visiting Kanto myself." Harrison replied. "I wonder how Apollo would do in the Indigo League?"

"I think he'd do great." Ash smiled. "As for us, we're headed back to Viridian City and then on to Pallet Town from there."

He spotted Ethan and Lyra on the outside of the League complex. "But there's still two more people we have to say goodbye to..."

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Epilogue: Gotta Catch You Later!

"Well, this is it..." Ash mused as Ethan and Lyra arrived in the field near the stadium. "But you know we would never leave without saying goodbye."

"We enjoyed our journey around the region as much as you two." Ethan replied. "Even if we had two different routes and two different goals, it was still nice to see each other when our paths did cross."

Then, something occurred to Ash. "Kamon...have you guys heard anything of what became of him?"

"He apologized to Prof. Elm and Officer Jenny for all the trouble he caused, and when he told them of his journey of redemption, Officer Jenny found that a wonderful alternative to the mandated community service he would have otherwise received." Lyra explained. "Last I heard, he was headed to Violet City."

"But what about you guys?" Misty asked. "Where are you going from here?"

"Well, the world is certainly full of places to visit, and Mr. Pokemon's tales of the Shinou region have always fascinated us both." Ethan replied. "So we might take a page from Ash's book and go there--just to say we've seen the region, not to compete in anything."

"I'm intrigued by the idea of Pokemon contests...I wonder what those are like?" Lyra smiled.

She hugged Ash. "I wish you a hearty congratulations for reaching the top 8, and the best of luck on wherever it is you're going next."

"Well, first I'm going home and celebrating reaching the Elite 8, and then I'm headed to Houen, Harrison's home region." Ash replied. "Then after I compete in the League there, I just might come find you guys in Shinou."

Ethan smiled. "Either that, or we run into you."

Everyone laughed as Ash and Ethan hugged. "It was great to travel with you, and I wish you good luck on your further travels.

He offered Ash a small card with his and Lyra's contact information on it. "If you ever want to write, call, e-mail, or IM us, here's all our numbers and screennames."

"Misty...well done on doing well in the Pokethlon." Ethan went on as he hugged Misty.

"Thanks...I had fun competing in the Pokethlon myself, so I'll see what other regions have one, and go compete there." Misty replied.

"Brock...keep on playing your music, and telling your stories." Lyra smiled as she hugged Brock. "Whenever I hear an acoustic guitar, I'll think of you."

"You have a real gift." Ethan agreed. "Maybe you should look into becoming a professional storyteller."

"I'll do the research, and continue traveling and learning as much material as I can." Brock replied. "Whenever I tell any of the tales I learned here, I'll think of you two."

After receiving the group's contact information, Ethan turned to Lyra. "Well, I guess it's time to go..."

"Bye, you guys!" Ash called as he, Misty, and Brock waved goodbye to Ethan and Lyra. "May we meet again soon!"

THE END

THE POKEMON ANIME REMIX PROJECT CONTINUES

IN

POKEMON SHINE DIAMOND

All characters, names, and other indicia are trademarks of their respective owners.