Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf;

Episode 6: Some Way Out

"West...south....west..." Kamon mused, only looking up from his map to see that he was back where he had started again. "Errgh...the sign at the entry sure wasn't kidding when it said this place was called the Forest of Illusion."

A devious smile formed on his face when he saw the group headed south. Wonder Boy and pals again...maybe if I follow them, I might be able to get out of this nightmare! he thought as he discretely dashed from bush to bush, making sure to keep the Trio in sight.

Meanwhile, Misty noticed a flash of movement behind her. "Was that another illusion?"

"Nope--I saw something following us." Brock replied as the group approached a rickety old cabin in a clearing that had clearly seen better days.

He noticed a rope near the door. "Please ring bell for assistance."

Ash tensely approached the bell rope and gave it a few hesitant tugs, making a few soft clonks fill the air. "I know you're scared, but if you want whoever lives here to hear us, you have to ring the bell good and loud!" Misty exclaimed, giving the bell rope a few hard pulls.

The resulting clangs started some bird Pokemon from their roosts, and it was not long before an old woman with obviously dyed auburn hair appeared in the doorway. "Yeah? What do you need?" she deadpanned.

Ash froze in fear about how intimidating the woman looked, despite her small size and frail appearance. "Um, we'll go ask for directions somewhere else, thanks." he nervously stammered, and tried to sneak back down the path without his companions noticing.

"Hold it right there, scaredy-Meowth!" the woman snapped as she pulled Ash back. "You will need my help if you three want to get out of the forest safely."

"W-who are you?" Even Misty seemed frightened.

"Name's Hagatha--I've lived here raising and caring for Hoothoots to guide the travelers that come through here." the woman replied. "You have seen the power of the Forest of Illusion, and it is said that those that seek to venture through without a Hoothoot's guiding eyes will never see the light of day again."

Brock swallowed hard. "Do you happen to have any Hoothoots we can use?"

Hagatha thought for a moment. "At the moment, all my other ones are out guiding travelers at the moment, but I do have one left..."

She smiled as a small Hoothoot waddled by her side. "This is Shinko, one of my hatchlings. She's still learning the art of discerning illusion and guiding, but if you're willing to take a chance, I am willing to lend her to you."

"We'll take her!" Ash smiled as he gently picked up the small Hoothoot. "All she needs is a good trainer to teach her, and she'll be guiding people easily!"

---------

"You were saying about Shinko only needing a good trainer?" Misty grumbled as Shinko hesitantly led the trio back near the forest entryway.

"Ever since we left Hagatha's cabin, we've walked in circles five times before she found the right way, more spooky trees, walked upside down, seen pink Donphan, blue grass, and green sky, heard flowers sing, and seen mushrooms dance." Brock sighed, his voice growing more frustrated with every illusion he listed.

Just then, Ash saw Shinko shaking in fear. "What is it, Shinko?" he asked.

He yelped in fear as a blue will-o-wisp surprised him! "Shinko, use Foresight!" he nearly screamed as more and more will-o-wisps surrounded the group.

"Yes, please use Foresight!" Misty pleaded.

A hopeful smile formed on Ash's face as Shinko's eyes started to glow, but then faded away as more will-o-wisps appeared. "Errgh...Shinko, I know you can do this! Use Foresight!"

"Shinko, will you help us? Please?" Misty asked.

Shinko nodded, but moments before she attempted using the attack, she squawked as the will-o-wisps combined into a massive blue fire spirit, and fluttered off!

"Shinko!" Misty hurried after the little Hoothoot, with the boys not far behind her.

As the group tore through the brush, Kamon peeked from a bush. "It's official...Wonder Boy has gone nuts..." he sighed before hiding back in the bush, where he could see the group catching their breaths in a clearing.

"Everyone okay?" Brock asked after he composed himself.

"I think so..." Misty replied before addressing Shinko. "Shinko...I know you're terrified of the illusions as much as we are, but Hoothoots are born and raised to guide people through places like this. So will you be brave, and help us through here?"

Shinko nodded, making Misty grin. "Thank you!"

Ash balked at how Shinko was easily doing as Misty told her. "How come Shinko listens to Misty and not me?"

"Maybe because Misty doesn't yell at her and remembers to say 'please'?" Brock replied.

"What does manners have to do with--!" Ash started before noticing Shinko trembling again. "Huh?"

He saw a flash of red and heard footsteps as someone fled from a bush. "Kamon!" he gasped."

"Now he's the one that's nuts..." Misty smiled at what she thought was Ash standing by her side.

She balked, however, when she saw another Ash standing near Brock. "What the?"

Brock, however, was seemingly unfazed at the hundreds of Ashes forming around him. "Would the real Ash please stand up?"

[He won't even have to do that--I'll handle this!] Tintri volunteered before charging a Thunderbolt. The electric blast arced from false Ash to false Ash, creating a massive explosion when it hit the real Ash moments later, sending him flying backwards.

Misty hurried over to Ash's side. "Are you okay?"

She was about to tend to her friend when a huge Ariados appeared before her, making her scream in terror! "Shinko, help meeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! Pleeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!!!!!!" she yelped as she watched the seemingly hundreds of Spinaraks crawling on her and surrounding her.

The boys watched in awe as Shinko's eyes glowed red, making the Spinaraks and the Ariados disappear. "She did it!" Brock smiled.

"And look what's bean causing all of this..." Ash smiled as he gestured to a hollow, where a pair of Haunters were laughing hysterically at Misty screaming, despite Shinko's efforts to dispel the illusions.

He looked over at Brock. "Don't Ghost Pokemon hate holy water or sacred words or hymns?"

"I may not have holy water, but I do know a few holy songs..." Brock replied before clearing his throat and singing Te lei ze cra riou te ze...
    Cra riou ze te riou rei neu, riou ze...
    At this, the Haunters gasped as a holy circle of white light formed around the group.
    Va rei ze te, neu te riou te cra
    Riou rei cra riou ze rei va ze rei...
    Va neu va rei, va neu va ze rei!
    Cra riou cra neu te rei cra riou ze lei va
    Lei va neu cra te lei lei!

"It's working!" Misty gasped as she watched the Haunters flee from the rotted hollow tree. "Keep singing, Brock!"

Te lei ze cra riou te ze... Brock started the song again.
    Cra riou ze te riou rei neu, riou ze...
    Va rei ze te, neu te riou te cra
    Riou rei cra riou ze rei va ze rei...
    Va neu va rei, va neu va ze rei!
    At this, some brush parted, revealing the path out of the forest and allowing sunshine to stream inside the clearing.
    Cra riou cra neu te rei cra riou ze lei va
    Lei va neu cra te lei lei!

Misty was the most relieved at seeing the road. "So this was where the way out was the whole time!"

She knelt down before Shinko. "Thank you, Shinko--you are free to return to your mistress."

After giving the small Hoothoot a hug, she waved goodbye as it fluttered back into the forest. "Wonder if Kamon will ever find his way through all the illusions?" Ash wondered as the group started down the road.

"Oh, he'll make it out in about a week." Brock grinned, making the group laugh as they walked off into the setting sun...

TO BE CONTINUED...
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 08-18-2016 at 02:14 PM.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    Caught up! Once again, the little pokemon race with the flags was cute; I liked reading that part. I also liked the spooky forest; when it mentioned the hoothoot, I immediately thought back to that episode. I liked when Brock was describing the illusions they'd seen in the last part. That was pretty funny. xD I think you could have described more what the forest was like, such as the sound and more of the look of the place, and things like what the illusions such as the scary face actually looked like. Maybe the trees too - did they have twisted branches? Roots that arched upward and could easily trip someone? Branches that intertwined and blocked out any light? Stuff like that would set the mood more, I think.

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf;

Thanks--looking back, I probably could've fleshed out some more of the chase in the Forest of Illusion.

Next time, we'll introduce what Brock gets to do alongside Ash's badges and Misty's Pokethlon medallions.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf;

Episode 7: Once Upon a Festival

"I am so glad we're not in that spooky old forest any more!" Misty smiled as the group broke camp the next morning.

"Yeah, the only forest of illusion I ever want to see again is inside a video game." Ash agreed, shuddering at the memory of the trees, rocks, and even plants with spooky faces from the previous day.

"I don't know, the look on Misty's face when she saw all those duplicates of you was priceless." Brock grinned as the group got on the road for the day.

For a while, the trek was uneventful--the sun was shining, Pidgeys perched on tree branches and darted through the grass, and the breeze ruffled the leaves and the clothing of the three humans on the road.

After a while, Brock spotted a signpost pointing north. "Florando Town, this way..."

He knelt down to examine a flyer attached to the signpost. "Pokemon Festival today, come enjoy food, games, entertainment, and the Pokemon Lore Stage--whatever that means..."

"Maybe it's a storytelling competition!" Misty suggested. "You should enter!"

"Yeah, although if it is a contest, it wouldn't be fair to the other storytellers to have a pro go up against amateurs." Ash cautioned.

[We're not gonna see if it is a competition or not if we just stand here...] Tintri noted.

"You're right, Tintri--let's go!" With that, Ash hurried off down the road.

"Hey, wait for us!" Misty and Brock were not far behind.

---------

"Wow...." the group gasped at the crowds milling about, watching the various performances, demonstrations, and competitions, or playing one of the many games on offer to win Pokemon dolls and other prizes.

Some Mankeys nimbly kicked down training dummies and targets high in the air on one stage, while a boy tried to win a Fennekin doll for what Brock assumed was his girlfriend by knocking a pyramid of milk bottles down. Those things are rigged, anyway... he thought as the boy came up one bottle short.

An Alakazam noticed the group as they passed its booth. Fancy your fortune told, for a pretty coin of gold? it telepathically asked.

"I'll bite..." Ash volunteered as he opened the bag of gold tokens that had been given at the front gates of the festival grounds and placed one in the payment box.

The Alakazam tuned itself to Ash's mind before revealing his fortune. I see that you are a brave and determined young man, who will do many great things during your time here in the Johto region. You will master a great power of light, befriend Legendary Pokemon, and drive back the evil slumbering in the shadows.

"Thanks?" Ash wasn't sure what the cryptic fortune meant.

A gentle chuckle echoed in his mind. Don't worry about figuring out what your fortune means--it will reveal its meaning to you in due time. the Alakazam smiled.

Brock wasted no time in depositing a coin. "Will I find a lady to love here?" he asked.

The Alakazam attuned itself to Brock's mind, then revealed his fortune. I see that you have many qualities of a faithful lover--kind, brave, and unselfish. But be wary of the initial euphoria that comes with new love--too passionate a response will drive any potential suitors away. But it is a different kind of love that will guide you during your time here--the love you have for the lore of this world.

"Hint hint..." Misty grinned as she playfully nudged Brock.

Brock contemplated what the Alakazam had revealed to him. Mental note--find the info booth and ask about the Lore Stage...

Misty was next to deposit a coin. I see that you are a passionate lady who can have the raging fury of a tsunami one moment, and the calmness of a still pool the next. the Alakazam explained. There is a time and a place to use your power, but be wary of using it to tear others down--channel your anger into positive energy, and amazing things will happen.

"Thanks." Misty smiled. "I will contemplate what you have said." she told the Alakazam as she led the others down the rows of booths and stages.

A female voice singing a familiar melody got Ash's attention. "Someone's singing that one song all the Vocaloids sing!"

"Huh?" Misty asked as Ash lead the others before a larger stage, where a brown haired girl in a teal shirt was singing as two humanoid plant Pokemon danced to their mistress' voice. "It is the Ievan Polkka!" Misty gasped when she recognized the tune the girl sang.

Brock, meanwhile, noticed three colored shiny stripes near the girl's right shirt pocket. Those must be award stripes, or something... he thought as he joined the crowd in applauding the song.

"..."Finally, Sorin reached the corner of the garden where the wonderful tree grew." the girl continued when the applause for her song faded. "He had never seen it before. The rosy-cheeked Berries glowed in the bright sunlight, and Sorin could hardly wait to ask for the fruit."

She added "It helped that the Berries had a beautiful color and a sweet smell."

Ash tried to hold in laughter as the girl went on "Sorin had never been so close to anything which smelled this good. So he took a big bite...."

She grinned "...and you should have seen the look on his face!"

The crowd roared with laughter as they pictured Sorin's disgusted face. "That beautiful sweet smelling Berry was bitter and sour, and it had a nasty taste, so he threw it away from him with a mighty heave." She pantomimed throwing something for effect.

She concludes "Sorin never forgot the tree’s long name and the little song he had made up. Nor did he forget how the Berry tasted. He never took another bite of it himself; but, after that, his favorite prank was to treat the other Pokemon to the wonderful Berry just to see their yuck faces when they tasted it."

Laughter and applause fill the air, but Ash's applause is the loudest. "Bravo! Encore!"

"That was pretty good!" Brock agreed. "Even though we only heard the end of it."

More cheers filled the air as a judge arrived to pin a green stripe to the girl's shirt. "And Bailey wins the Festival Lore Stage!" he announced. "Thank you all for coming!"

As some in the crowd turned to leave, Misty noticed Brock making his way to where the girl and several others with the stripes on their clothing were signing autographs and answering questions. "Where are you going?"

"To congratulate that girl, ask if I can learn that story she told, and ask her about the Lore Stage." Brock replied before finding Bailey and the two plant Pokemon near the middle of the stage.

After composing himself, and reminding himself about what the Alakazam had told him about passionate responses, he began. "From one storyteller to another...well done."

"Thanks!" Bailey smiled. "I wasn't sure if 'Sorin and the Wonderful Tree' would be enough for my fourth stripe, but apparently it was!"

Ash, meanwhile, decided to read up on the two humanoid plant Pokemon:

"Bellossom, the flower Pokemon." Dexter began. "When the heavy rainfall season ends, it is drawn out by warm sunlight to dance in the open."

"It is perfect weather for them to dance." Misty smiled as Ash put Dexter away, keeping an eye on Brock all the while.

"Those stripes on your shirt...what are they?" Brock asked.

"Color Stripes for the Lore Stage." Bailey replied. "The Pokemon Lore Stage is a competition between storytellers and musicians from all across the world."

"Mm-hm...is it just for amateurs?" Brock asked. "I wouldn't call myself a pro, but I am asked to tell a lot in public."

"Both amateur and pro storytellers are welcome to compete--although it helps if you have some experience." Bailey assured Brock. "Each Lore Stage competition has a theme, and the storytellers are challenged to tell a short and a long story that fits the theme. The storytellers are allowed to use any talent they have to help in telling the stories, including their Pokemon."

She hugged one of her Bellossoms for a job well done. "This includes everything from musicians, dancers, actors, costumes, puppets, mimicry, and even stage combat or stage archery at some venues."

"What kinds of themes do they use?" Even Ash was interested.

"Things like adventure, pour quoi, and love found, to name a few." Bailey replied. "Storytellers are judged in four areas: knowledge, energy, style, and appeal."

"What exactly do those mean?" Brock was intrigued.

"Knowledge means the storyteller knows their story well, and recovers from missteps well." Bailey went on. "Energy means the storyteller show enthusiasm, and engages with the audience. Style means the storyteller uses their talents well in bringing their story to life,and appeal simply means that the audience is interested in the story being told."

She referred to the four shiny stripes on her shirt. "The winners of a Lore Stage earn a color stripe, with the goal to create a rainbow. Those that do earn seven stripes and create a rainbow are crowned Masters and Mistresses of Lore, and go on to perform during the pre-League festivities."

"Sounds fun!" Misty smiled.

Brock smiled. "Where do I sign up?"

"Our info booth is near all the food stands-you can sign up there." Bailey replied.

Ash smiled at Tintri as Brock thanked Bailey for the information. "Well, bud...we all have something to aim for while we're here..."

Tintri nodded. [Let's all achieve our goals together!]

TO BE CONTINUED...

Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    First of all, I thought this was some good description:
    For a while, the trek was uneventful--the sun was shining, Pidgeys perched on tree branches and darted through the grass, and the breeze ruffled the leaves and the clothing of the three humans on the road.
    That festival seemed pretty cool. I liked the fortune-telling alakazam. And haha, Brock's question. So typical... xD I'm interested to see what else will happen here.

And I don't think you need to tag me anymore; I check this section a lot. xD

Senior Moderator

I'll still tag you to notify you of new episodes

I took aspects of what I remembered from the festival in the real episode, and put them in here. Enjoy Brock's gaga moments when they happen--he's not having a gaga moment once an episode, as that would hold him back from the Lore Stage.

Remember the Alakazam's fortunes--they will be important later.

Next time, we'll finally confront Kamon!

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf;

Okay, I know I said we'd confront Kamon this time, but we've been having a lot of events, so here's a breather interlude:

Interlude: The Perfect Story

"So, now that you've signed up for the Lore Stage, what kinds of stories are you planning to tell?" Ash asked as he stashed his Pokeflute case and two of the four whistles he'd packed back in his bag for the next night. The two had made camp not far from the town they had departed, and had just concluded a post dinner jam session. Only Brock still had his instrument out--a familiar yellow-brown acoustic guitar, where he was half-heartedly plucking out notes as he pondered Ash's question.

"Well...it really depends on what sorts of themes the Lore Stages will have, and how many I have the opportunity to compete in." Brock explained, mindlessly switching between an A minor chord and a C chord as he spoke. "Do they suit adventure tales? Trickster tales? Pour quoi tales? Funny tales? Something more obscure than those types?"

"If I had to guess, you'll probably be asked to tell a balanced variety of all of those." Misty explained as she put her fiddle case away for the night. "So the real question is, out of the millions of stories you know, which ones would be the best to use in competition."

Brock stopped his endless progression to ponder what Misty had said. "I know I obviously can't use stories that are not polished..." he smiled before starting a mostly improvised melody in A minor. "I also know that I can't tell things that would be too scary or inappropriate..."

[Then again, you don't really have inappropriate stories...] Tintri noted as he offered Ami one of the leftover marshmallows that had not been made into s'mores.

"That's true...you mainly tell for all ages anyway." Ash agreed.

"And you usually warn the audience before venturing into the dark side of folklore." Misty added, enamored in the intricate melody filled with trills, bent notes, and hammer-ons Brock was performing. "But that still leaves us with hundreds of stories to pick from."

"So what are some that audiences--and us--ask for again and again, off the top of your head?" Ash challenged.

"There's 'Sorin's Trap'...and 'The Buneary Herder'...'The Giant's Captive'...'The Three Valleys', although that one ventures into some scary territory..." Brock mused.

"I can think of some--'The Golden Starly' and its millions of variants, and its cousin, the Moltres story type." Ash suggested. "There's also 'The Three Powers' and all its variants, 'Princess Miranda's Rescue', all the Jack tales you know...'

"A grasswhistle would wow an audience in an outdoor venue." Misty suggested. "As would stage archery."

"I did bring my bow and some arrows, actually." Brock smiled. "Just in case we found some archery ranges or venues where I could do some stage archery, and another means of defense should our Pokemon fall in battle."

Ash, meanwhile, kept listing tales he had often heard Brock tell. "I really liked 'Brendan and the Giant'...'The Faithful Tauros'....

"You all have some great choices, and I may consider telling those." Brock interrupted Ash. "But a lot of those are quite long, and I don't know if there's a time limit on what we can tell--they didn't tell me this in the signups.

"Good idea--always good to have some short stories in case you do have a time limit." Misty suggested. "But if there IS no time limit, go nuts!"

"There may well be a time limit if there are a lot of people competing..." Ash interjected. "Since they need to have everybody tell..."

"True..." Brock mused as he finished his song, then put away his guitar for the night. "I'll probably stick to you guys' suggestions, but have some other stories on standby if they give me some really obscure or crazy theme to work with.

"That's a good idea." Misty smiled with a yawn. "Let's get to bed--we have a big day in the morning!"

TO BE CONTINUED...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf;

Episode 8: Caught in the Wildfire

"Wow!" Ash gasped as the group arrived on a hill overlooking an affluent community filled with beautiful mansions, colorful gardens, ornate statues and fountains, and Pokemon topiaries. "This was worth getting up early for!"

"I wonder who lives in these beautiful houses?" Misty wondered as she admired an angel fountain standing nearby the elegant iron gate, its white marble glittering in the morning sun.

"We've apparently arrived in Violet Hills, a community where some of Johto's prominent families call home." Brock read from the guidebook. "Some of these mansions have been owned by a single family for years."

Ash suddenly noticed a guard post near the front gate. "You don't suppose that we can get permission to take a tour?" he asked. Their route to Violet City appeared to cross through the community grounds, and he did not want to risk being arrested for trespassing.

Brock read further down the guidebook page for a moment. "Many of the community residents have opened up their homes for public tours--you can request tour schedules and guest passes at the guard post."

An argument from some nearby bushes piqued Misty. [What's going on?] Ami asked as she followed her master into the grass, where unintelligible yelling rang across the community grounds.

Misty just peeked through the bushes to find that Ethan and Lyra had confronted Kamon. "Looks like that tour's gonna have to wait, Ash...we've found Kamon." she mused as she returned to the road where the boys were waiting.

"Found Kamon?" Ash asked. "Where?"

"Those bushes by the roadside--Ethan and Lyra found him, and apparently Lyra's confronted him about swiping the Totodile from before." Misty explained as she motioned for the boys to follow her. "So if you wanna confront him about why he accused you of cheating before, here's your chance."

"All I wanted was a civil discussion from him--and judging from all the noise, it's devolved into a shouting match." Ash mused as he and Brock joined Misty in the brush. While he couldn't make out exactly what Kamon and Lyra were saying, he did know that emotions on both sides were running high--Lyra was very nearly in tears, and Kamon had a furious scowl on his face.

"If they decide to battle, I'd be willing to referee." Brock offered, keeping his voice down so as not to tip Kamon off to their presence. "Or mediate before the argument turns ugly."

"Go on, go mediate." Misty urged Brock into the open, silencing Lyra's and Kamon's argument as Brock approached.

Ethan seemed relieved to see Brock. "Brock, am I glad to see you! Kamon called Lyra weak, and the two have been squabbling all morning--Lyra to defend her honor, and Kamon just to anger her even more!"

"I wasn't getting her mad--I was nearly stating a fact." Kamon interjected. "All she's got is a little Chikorita, which is a weak Pokemon."

"Oh yeah? If Hana is so weak, then how is she capable of evolving?" Lyra retorted.

"She's all looks and no substance--you need to talk the talk and walk the walk if you wanna be strong." Kamon smirked, pleased at the grimace on Lyra's face.

"Don't judge a book by its cover!" Lyra retorted. "Just because Hana doesn't look powerful doesn't mean she's weak!"

"And just because Tintri is naturally fast doesn't mean he's a cheater!" Ash joined in as he ran by Lyra's side.

A whistle pierced the air, quieting the shouting. "Everyone, please!" Brock pleaded. "Let's try and sort this out civilly."

"Kamon claims my Chikorita is weak because it looks cute--and that he took the Totodile that was supposed to be for Ethan because it fit his definition of strong." Lyra explained. "I tried to tell him that raw power doesn't answer everything...and that was were you guys came in."

"So Kamon angered you by belittling your opinion?" Brock asked, looking to Lyra to be sure he had heard her side of the argument correctly.

Lyra nodded. "Every time I try to respectfully tell him that I disagree with him, I feel like I'm talking to a wall!"

"What's there to talk about?" Kamon sighed. "She got a Pokémon at the lab. Big deal."

He eyed Lyra's Chikorita, who shied away as he leaned in. "What a waste. That's a Pokémon that's too good for a wimp like you."

"I am NOT a wimp!" Lyra screeched.

Kamon was unfazed. "Don't you get what I'm saying? You Pokemon's all looks and no substance."

"But Hana's a good Pokemon!" Lyra protested.

A smile formed on Kamon's face as he looked down and noticed that he and Lyra were standing on a space wide enough and large enough for a Pokemon battle. After drawing the outline of a Poke Ball in the grass, he went on "Well, I too have a good Pokémon. I'll show you what I mean!" With that, he heaved a Poke Ball into the air, revealing a Cyndaquil on his half of the field.

"Hana--I know you're at a disadvantage here, but I need you to prove to Kamon that you are stronger than you look." Lyra told her Chikorita. "Can you do that?"

[Sure!] Hana smiled. [I'll show this red haired jerk and his Cyndaquil who's boss!]

Lyra next told Brock "If you're going to referee for us, I have a Potion I plan to use."

"Okay...you guys will have three timeouts apiece, as per League rules." Brock replied.

---------

"Representing the Gold side, Kamon and Spike!" Brock announced, making a grand gesture to Kamon and his Cyndaquil on the right side of the Poke Ball outline.

[You're getting burned, Miss Leafy!] the Cyndaquil smirked.

"And representing the Silver side, Lyra and Hana!" Brock announced, making a grand gesture to Lyra and her Chikorita on the left side of the Poke Ball outline.

[Don't underestimate flower power!] Hana shot back.

"Everyone ready?" Brock asked. Cheers came up from the makeshift arena and from Misty, Ash, and Ethan watching on the sidelines. "And three...two...one..."

As Brock's whistle echoed across the majestic mansion grounds, Spike charged at Hana, sending her flying backwards until she came to a stop at Lyra's feet. "Hana! You okay?" Lyra asked as Hana eased herself to her feet.

[I think so...] Hana replied. [But I can play that game too!] she cried before charging at Spike, but gasped in horror as Spike ran out of the way, causing her to miss her attack completely.

"You realize I have a type advantage over you?" Kamon smirked. "A Cyndaquil's mush faster than a pokey little Chikorita."

He then addressed his Cyndaquil. "Spike, use Smokescreen!"

Hana coughed as she ran into the black cloud of thick smoke Spike heaved onto the field. Although her vision was cloudy and her eyes watered from the smoke, she spotted the red glow of Spike's quills at the left end of the field. She charged in Spike's direction, but only managed to clip his leg, making him slip and fall.

"Hana! Growl at Spike!" Lyra commanded.

[HAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!] Hana screeched as she circled around in an attempt to Tackle Spike again. She did not, however, expect Spike to charge at her from the smoke, sending her flying over the Silver side of the makeshift arena.

Kamon sneered at Hana trying to get up. "Spike, use Leer!"

Hana shielded her eyes from the bright flash of the Leer attack. Gah...this guy's pounding away with raw power, leaving me no chance to defend!

She smiled when she saw the smoke had cleared away, leaving her a straight shot towards Spike! But I have to prove I'm stronger than his jerk of a trainer is! Because I want to defend my trainer's honor, and prove she is not weak!

She charged headlong into Spike while he was off guard, sending him tumbling to the grass. "Spike, Tackle Hana again!" Kamon commanded.

"Hana, Tackle Spike!" Lyra called.

Both the Cyndaquil and the Chikorita collided at the same time, but the huge impact and the stress of battle had taken its toll on Hana. [I can't go on much longer...] she wheezed as she crawled back to Lyra's side. [That Cyndaquil's really strong!]

Lyra nodded, and made a T signal to Brock, prompting him to blow a quick blast with he whistle. "Time out, Silver." he announced as Lyra unearthed the Potion from her bag and administered it to Hana.

"Well, well, well...You're doing OK for someone weak." Kamon grinned, impressed. "Didn't know Miss Leaf had it in her to last this long against raw power."

On the sidelines, Ethan commented "I see--Kamon's pounding away with raw power, while Lyra is flummoxing him with a defensive strategy."

"No, it's worse than that--Kamon's treating Spike not as a living being with feelings, but as a tool!" Ash grumbled. "Pokemon are not mere tools! They are living beings to be loved, protected, and cherished."

"You try telling Kamon that, then." Ethan sighed as Brock's whistle signaled the end of Lyra's time out.

Back on the battlefield, Spike and Hana charged at each other again. However, it was Spike that looked weary as he stumbled back to Kamon. "Come on, Spike! You're a fire type! You're supposed to beat grass types!" Kamon snapped.

[B-but I can't go on much longer...] Spike wheezed.

"Get back out there and finish the job!" Kamon growled. "Use Leer again!"

The bright flash of the Leer attack blinded Hana again, but she shook away the spots before her eyes and hurled herself with all her might into Spike, making him fall to the grass with a plop, swirly eyed.

Cheers filled the air as the whistle blew. "Game Set! This match's winner goes to Silver." Brock announced as Lyra ran to hug Hana.

Kamon, however, seemed unfazed by his loss. "Are you happy you won?" he grumbled as he recalled his fainted Cyndaquil. "You may have won today, Miss Leafy, but know this! I'm going to be the world's greatest Pokémon Trainer--the greatest Pokemon Master! And don't you forget it!"

"Hey, that's my line!" Ash protested as Kamon disappeared down the road.

"He'll never be a Pokemon Master if he treats his Pokemon like that..." Misty mused.

Brock, meanwhile, smiled at Lyra. "Well done, both of you."

"Thanks--but Hana's the real hero here." Lyra smiled. "She proved that a Grass type can overcome a Fire type with a little training and a lot of love!

"I can only hope Kamon comes to realize that." Ash agreed as Tintri bounded on his shoulder. "Can we go take that tour now?"

"Ooh, good idea!" Ethan led the charge down the hill into the setting sun...

TO BE CONTINUED...
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 08-28-2016 at 03:00 AM.

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf;

Episode 9: A Very Deer Friend (part 1)

"Ah, such a beautiful day..." Ash smiled as he led the way down the path. "Sun shining, bird Pokemon singing..."

A strange orb in a bush got his attention. "Huh?"

"What would an orb be doing in a bush?" Misty wondered as she and Brock caught up to Ash and Tintri on the path.

Brock noticed the orb begin to move, and saw it was attached to the pale yellow antlers of a small brown deer Pokemon. "A small deer Pokemon...wonder what it's doing out here?"

Ash, meanwhile, brought up the Pokemon's picture onto Dexter's screen."Stantler, the big horn Pokemon." Dexter began. "Its magnificent antlers were once traded at high prices as works of art. As a result, this Pokemon was hunted close to extinction."

"The Pokedex's picture depicts a full sized Stantler, and this one's smaller..." Misty noted. "Which means that this one must be a baby!"

"That still doesn't answer my question of what a baby Stantler could be doing all the way out here." Brock mused as he got out a bag full of fresh Pokechow that he had made the night before. "So maybe if we lure it closer, we may figure out why it's alone out here..."

"Separated from the herd?" Misty wondered as Brock made a trail of Pokechow leading to the group's location.

"Let's see if a food bribe will get it to come closer." Brock smiled as he wiped Pokechow crumbs from his hands. "If that doesn't work, I could mimic a mother Stantler in attempt to coax it over here."

Sure enough, the baby Stantler approached the group, pausing to nibble at the Pokechow nuggets Brock had left behind. Misty, however, noticed the baby Stantler was limping a little. "The Stantler's hurt!"

"So it is..." Brock mused as he hurried to the Stantler's side with some first aid supplies. The Stantler shied away at first, but tumbled to the ground as Brock assured it "It's okay, little guy...I only want to help you..."

"Try telling that to those other Stantlers..." Ash gasped, noticing a crowd of angered Stantlers charging in Brock's direction.

About then, Brock saw the angered herd headed for him and the wounded Stantler. "Uh oh...guess my trying to help you will have to wait!" he stammered.

"RUN!!!" Ash lead the way back down the pathway, every so often looking back to see if the Stantlers were following them.

He was never more relieved to hear a police siren in his life as Officer Jenny met them on a branch of the path leading to a ranger's outpost. "Is everything okay?" she asked. "We received reports from the rangers that there was a Stantler stampede in the area..."

Brock, however, had other ideas. "There was a stampede of lonely hearts headed for your beauty and brave heart..."

This was as far as he got in his euphoric confession of love before Ami sprayed him. [Were you ever told to respect authority?] she scolded as a ranger gave Brock a towel to dry off.

"We found a wounded baby Stantler near the woods, and when my friend tried to clean and dress the wound on its leg, a bunch of adults thought we were trying to hurt it." Ash explained.

"While your intentions were noble, it was still very dangerous--the Stantler herds have been terrorizing the surrounding areas." Officer Jenny explained. "If you find this Stantler again, it's better to notify the rangers and have them try and help the fawn."

"Okay." the group replied.

"It may be better to try and travel through the night...the Stantlers are less active then." a ranger suggested as he brought the group some snacks and drinks.

"What we don't understand is who or what could be riling up the Stantler." Officer Jenny mused. "We haven't found evidence of Team Rocket activity..."

"Good--I'm not in the mood to deal with them today." Ash grinned as he offered Pikachu some Oran Berry juice.

"Not that we've found them anywhere so far, and I'd prefer not to find them now." Misty agreed as she relaxed on a cot, watching the comings and goings of the rangers as they went about their evening patrols.

The group did not, however, spot Kamon listening in from a crack in the wall. "So wild Stantlers live here...since I couldn't get that Totodile, maybe a Stantler will do instead..."

---------

Surprised gasps and chatter filled the outpost that evening, startling the group from their sleep. "What's going on?" Ash asked, glancing around the room in hopes of finding the suspected intruder.

"This baby Stantler came to the outpost, as if looking for someone." a ranger explained as he and his partner led a familiar baby Stantler inside the room. "It has a wounded leg, but the wound is not consistent with any known predators in this area..."

"Maybe I can help!" Brock volunteered as he climbed from his cot, retrieved his first aid kit, and went to work cleaning and dressing the small gash on the fawn's left front leg.

After wrapping some gauze around the wound to hold it in place, he took a step back to admire his handiwork. "There we go."

"We'll take the Stantler to the medical wing for observation, then release it in the morning." another ranger smiled as he and his partners led the Stantler away.

"Judging from how the Stantler came looking for you, you'd think it would want to join your team, or something." Ash mused as he climbed back in his cot, petting Tintri all the while.

"As tempting as it is to call that Stantler mine, I also know its true home is back with its mother, where it belongs." Brock explained as he climbed back in his own cot. "It is still a wild Pokemon, and it wouldn't seem right to catch it when it is not old enough to be separated from its mother."

"That's fair." Misty smiled. "Let's get back to bed, then..."

TO BE CONTINUED...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf;

Episode 10: A Very Deer Friend (part 2)

[Wake up...] Tintri whispered, nuzzling his master.

"mrgggh...what is it?" Ash asked with a yawn as he sat up in the cot. After shielding his eyes from the sunshine for a moment, he noticed Misty was already having breakfast with her Pokemon, but Brock was nowhere to be seen. "Where did Brock get to?"

"Helping the rangers get the baby Stantler ready for release." Misty replied. "They're going to release it by the hill where we first found it yesterday."

"How is the little guy, anyway?" Ash wondered as Brock returned to the room, a six tailed fox Pokemon behind him.

"Ready for release--its wound healed overnight." Brock smiled. "As to what could've made the wound, the rangers believe that the Stantler could have run into a trap. My question is--who could've set the trap if there was no confirmed Team Rocket activity, and Stantler season isn't even open yet?"

"Team Rocket working incognito?" Misty grinned.

"Can we talk about something else?" Ash shuddered. "All this talk of Team Rocket's giving me the heebie jeebies..."

"If you want to watch the release, come on." Brock offered.

"I've always wanted to watch a wild Pokemon release!" Misty was not far behind Brock.

"Come on, bud--let's go." Ash motioned for Tintri to climb on his shoulder as he followed his friends outside.

---------

The way to the hill was uneventful--a team of rangers led the Stantler to the hill, with the group not far behind them.

"Okay, little guy..let's get you back to where you belong!" a ranger smiled as she untied the lead rope. Cheers filled the air as the baby Stantler charged off to the woods--only to be caught and tangled in a net, to some horrified gasps.

"Team Rocket!" Ash gasped, expecting Jessie, James, and Meowth to appear and repeat their 'To protect the world from devastation' spiel for the umpteenth time.

"Nope--just little old me." Kamon smirked as he emerged from the brush to check the net. "And it looks like my gerryriged net trap worked--I'll be taking this Stantler with me."

"But that Stantler is just a baby!" Ash protested. "We were trying to get it back to its mom!"

"So? Even Pokemon have to one day leave their mothers." Kamon smirked. "But if you want him, come and get him!" With that, he charged off towards the forest, the baby Stantler squalling from the net all the while.

"After him!" the chief ranger called as the group dashed after Kamon.

Brock, meanwhile, heaved one of his Poke Balls skyward. "Argent, I need your help!"

Misty was relieved to find the majestic silver snake Pokemon towering over her. "Am I glad to see you, big guy!" she smiled--when Brock needed a Pokemon to cut off escape routes or raw power, he usually used the mighty Steelix. He could also induce the Steelix into its Mega form, if things got desperate.

"Okay Argent--I need you to head off the red haired punk heading for the forest!" Brock called.

[Got it, Boss!] the huge Steelix crawled up to the forest entryway, then curled around Kamon as he approached the forest entryaway. [Going somewhere, punk?] he growled.

"Let me go!" Kamon pleaded as he struggled to climb through Argent's metallic coils and tie the net containing the Stantler to a tree. "I got this Stantler fair and square!"

Argent was not impressed as he wound his way around Kamon again. [You call catching a Pokemon in a net fair and square? That sounds like something a Team Rocket lowlife would do!]

"Why would I get involved with those hooligans--call me a punk if you want, but I'm a punk with standards." Kamon shot back. "Now, are you gonna let me go, or what?"

[If you release the Stantler, I'll consider it.] Argent growled, frustrated at Kamon's stubbornness.

He seemed to smile when he heard Brock sing Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo... in the distance, engulfing him in a bright green light.

"What in the..." Kamon gasped as he watched the Steelix that held him gain rainbow crystals and pentagon-shaped runes in his coils.

"Behold... the power of Mega Evolution." Brock explained as he approached where Argent held Kamon. "The sign of a true bond between Pokemon and trainer--the Heart Song resonates in both their hearts and awakens a Pokemon's true potential."

"And this has to do with me how?" Kamon asked.

"Catching a Pokemon in a net is no way to establish that bond." Brock replied. "It needs to be established as a mutual friendship between human and Pokemon, not as a hostage situation."

He looked over at Ash and Misty. "Go find the Stantler and set it free--I'm gonna try talking some sense into Kamon here..."

"Good luck with that..." Ash called back as he and Misty hurried off into the forest.

---------

Misty spotted the net with the Stantler inside near the forest entryway. "Here it is!"

"Okay, Tintri--cut the net loose with a Thunderbolt!" Ash commanded.

[HI-YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!] Tintri screamed as he unleashed a massive Thunderbolt. But he gasped when he saw his attack cut the net--and if the Stantler fell, it would be badly hurt, if not killed. [Uh oh!]

Brock panicked when he saw the Stantler slide out of the next and hurtle towards the ground from a high branch. He wasn't sure how he did it, but he managed to sprint to the forest entryway, make a flying leap, and catch the panicked Stantler in his arms.

"Nice catch, baseball star." Kamon smirked as he finally climbed free of Argent's coils.

Thank you, baseball skill! Brock smiled as he removed the net from the Stantler. Been a while since I put on the black and silver of the Pewter City Golems, but I still remember how to dive for home plate!

The squawk of a distressed Stantler filled the air as the Stantler herd arrived. "Kamon better start running..." Ash grinned as the herd angrily eyed Kamon.

"Right about..." Misty mused as the herd charged, each Stantler angrily eyeing Kamon as he hurried down the path. "now..."

Everyone watched as one Stantler unleashed a distress cry, prompting the baby Stantler to run and rejoin its mother. "Aw..." Misty smiled as the mother Stantler licked the fawn, then gratefully looked over at the group before both mother and child bounded off to rejoin the herd. "Aw..." Misty smiled.

"Mother and child safely reunited." a ranger agreed.

"But Brock was the real hero--he may be tough, but he's got a big heart for human and Pokemon alike." Ash smiled.

Brock just blushed as he recalled Argent. "Aw, it was nothing."

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 09-04-2016 at 12:30 AM.