Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf;

Episode 11: The Flowers of the Mountain (part 1)

"Yeesh, it's cold up here..." Brock shivered as the group emerged from a forest onto a plain surrounded by mountains.

"I'll say..." Misty agreed. "The mountains that are farther out are covered in snow--so unless you brought ski gear, good luck getting past there!"

"That would be fun, but I'd have to take lessons first." Brock confessed. Misty pictured Brock tumbling down a mountain in ski gear and stiffled a giggle.

"Hey look! I see Ethan and Lyra!" Ash pointed out Ethan, Lyra, and Hana setting out a picnic lunch among the flowers.

Misty ran on ahead of Ash to meet their friends and allies. "Got room for a few more?" she asked as the boys and Tintri arrived.

"Sure--I was gonna feed the extra sandwiches to the wild Pokemon, but we have enough to feed three more people." Ethan smiled as he invited the group to sit in the grass. "Lyra and I are here as a favor to the professor..."

"One of Prof. Elm's friends lives out here...everyone just calls him Mr. Pokemon because he rivals a Pokedex in how much he knows about Pokemon, not just the native Pokemon of Johto." Lyra went on as she shepherded Hana by her side. "He said he had something for Prof. Elm to study, so we were on our way up the mountain to his house to go get it."

"Sounds interesting...did you learn what this something is?" Ash asked as Ethan's Totodile eagerly danced around his master's feet for a share of the meat Ethan was laying on a piece of bread to make a sandwich.

"Okay, Dundee, okay...you can have this sandwich after I finish making it." Ethan assured his excited Totodile as he added a slice of cheese and some mustard to the sandwich, then set it before the Totodile. "Here you go."

"Fiesty little guy, isn't he?" Brock grinned as the Totodile eagerly bit into the sandwich with a chomp. "I think I know where you got the name Dundee from..."

"'Croconaw Dundee' is one of my dad's favorite movies." Ethan explained. "I've watched it a few times with him, and it still holds up all these years later..."

Lyra, meanwhile, set out a platter of sandwiches. "Okay, who's hungry?"

[Me!] Hana dashed to a sunny spot by Lyra's side as Tintri eagerly hurried over to get a sandwich.

"Ham or roast beef?" Lyra offered Tintri the platter.

[One of each.] Tintri replied. Lyra set two sandwiches on a plate, followed by some chips and berries.

"Why's Hana not eating anything?" Ash wondered as he helped himself to some sandwiches.

"As a Grass type, she doesn't need to eat as much as humans and other Pokemon--she naturally gets food from photosynthesis." Lyra explained as she looked over at Hana basking in the sun. Ash nodded to show he understood, then moved the basket away from Hana to allow her to receive more sun.

Ethan noticed the two cloud patches on Brock's vest. "Oh, you're competing in the Lore Stage! I've always wanted to watch one of those!"

"I'm mainly competing for the experience--I acknowledge and understand that I may not win it all, and I may face storytellers that are way better than me." Brock replied before taking a bite of his sandwich. "But if I do somehow win it all, that would make for the ultimate memory on this trip."

"Yeah, you've mainly told as a hobby, and for a few local events." Misty noted. "You're sure you're ready for a bigger stage than the local library, schools, and a few local festivals?"

"I never would've signed up and gotten these cloud patches if I didn't know what I was getting myself into." Brock assured Misty as he gathered up his trash and placed it in the trash bag Hana was guarding. "There we go--doing our part to keep this place beautiful!"

[Nothing ruins a scenic place like this more than trash.] Hana agreed as she helped her master tie up the trash bag in a tree. [And we won't have to worry about attracting wild Pokemon with the trash!]

"If you're gonna compete in the Lore Stage, do you feel comfy trying out your material on us?" Lyra asked.

"Sure--give me a minute to think of a tale that isn't too long and we all would like." Brock replied.

Tintri, meanwhile, tugged on Ash's shirt. [Hana and me want to go explore the forest path.] he explained, pointing out the hillside path that led into a forest, where the trash bag hung from one of the trees.

"What do you think, Lyra?" Ash asked. "Tintri and Hana want to go explore the forest."

"So long as they stay together and come back here by sundown, I have no problem with it." Lyra replied.

"Okay guys--you can go explore the forest, but you have to stay together, and be back by sundown." Ash reiterated what Lyra had said to Tintri and Hana. "Think you can do that?"

[Yeah!] Tintri and Hana replied.

"In case you do get lost, Mr. Pokemon's house is not far from a Pokemon Center near the forest's west entrance." Ethan replied, showing Tintri and Hana the map of the forest near their location. "So those two places are your meeting points if you do end up accidentally getting lost--we won't be mad if it's an accident."

[Got it!] Tintri replied before he led Hana into the forest.

"Have fun, you guys!" Ash waved goodbye as Tintri and Hana hurried off down the leafy path.

After making sure Tintri and Hana had safely made their way to the forest, Brock addressed the others. "Okay...this tale is a version of 'The Hero and Epona' from Kanto. While the hero is not often named in these tales, for our purposes, we'll give him a name."

With that, he began. "Across the wide ocean, on the side of high mountains, beyond thick forests, in a village that faced the sky, there once lived an old peasant who had three sons..."

TO BE CONTINUED...
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf;

Episode 12: The Flowers of the Mountain (part 2)

Playful giggles rang through the trees as Tintri and Hana dashed through the forest, piquing the interest of the Pidgeys in the treetops or the Caterpies munching on leaves. After dashing through the grassy underbrush, Hana leaped onto Tintri, sending them tumbling down the hill, giggling all the while, until they landed in a heap of tails and leaves nearby a stream, still laughing all the more.

[That was fun!] Hana smiled as she smoothed out her leaf from their long tumble down the hill.

[I didn't expect you to pounce on me like that...] Tintri confessed as he brushed some burs from his fur. [But you got me, so you decide what to do next.]

[Rock skipping contest?] Hana suggested, picking up a rock with her leaf and heaving it across the water, skipping it twice.

[Nah...I wonder how far this stream goes?] Tintri wondered.

[Okay! Let's see how far the stream goes--and if we get lost, we can follow it back!] Hana suggested before hurrying off down the shoreline with a giggle.

[Hey, wait for me!] Tintri was not far behind.

---------

[You were saying about being able to follow the stream back?] Tintri asked Hana as the two Pokemon glanced around the grove of trees that following the shoreline of the stream had led them to. There was more of the shoreline to follow, but Tintri was already tired of following the winding shoreline.

[Come to think of it, I think we are lost...] Hana mused before looking up at the sky and gasping as the clouds began to turn pink as the sun prepared to set. [And it's almost sunset!]

Tintri suddenly remembered what Ethan had said. [Are we anywhere close to the Pokemon Center or Mr. Pokemon's house?]

Hana consulted Ethan's map again. [Maybe following the stream was a good idea...Mr. Pokemon's house isn't too far from here.]

She looked up from the map and noticed a small cabin on the hillside. [Let's go see if that's it!]

[Right behind you!] Tintri followed Hana up the hill to the cabin's front stoop and knocked at the door.

"Now, I wonder who that could be..." Hana heard a male voice muse before the door opened, revealing a stately man in a neatly pressed brown suit in the doorway. Tintri wasn't sure how old the man was, but the swirls of gray in his otherwise black hair were the only clue to his age.

[Are you maybe Mr. Pokemon?] Hana asked. [We were exploring the forest and got lost.]

The man smiled. "I am in fact the Mr. Pokemon you speak of...come on inside, and you can rest here while you wait for your masters to find you."

[Okay!] Hana and Tintri made their way inside, awed over the rustic decor, the paintings on the walls and the exotically designed rug on the floor.

[Don't you ever get lonely out here?] Tintri asked as he admired a painting of the hills outside Celadon City hanging nearby a window.

"Oh, not at all." Mr. Pokemon smiled. "I travel a lot in search of bettering our knowledge and understanding of Pokemon around the world--this is why I have befriended many professors across the world."

[What's the most amazing thing you've seen in your travels?] Tintri asked, his eyes shining with excitement at the stories Mr. Pokemon had to tell. If any of these stories are cool enough, I may tell Brock to write down the basics of it!

"Well...I've seen many amazing things on my travels, but if I had to choose one..." Mr. Pokemon mused before pausing for a moment. "It would be the great mountain, Mt. Coronet, which splits its home region of Shinou in half."

[Wow...] Hana gasped, amazed at the concept of a mountain that large. [I can only imagine the view at the peak!]

"As much I wanted to climb it, I am no mountain climber, and so I leave that task for those adventurous enough to do it." Mr. Pokemon replied as he settled in an easy chair and invited Tintri and Hana onto the small table beside it. "So tell me...what brought you this far into the forest?"

Hana, however, was interested in a strange white egg with red and blue triangles in an egg holder on the kitchen table. [What's that? Is what Professor Elm sent my mistress to get from you?]

"I did in fact ask Professor Elm to study that egg." Mr. Pokemon replied. It appears to be from a Pokemon family I have not seen before."

[But my master says you know almost everything about Pokemon!] Tintri protested.

Mr. Pokemon just smiled. "This egg is one of these almosts--how can I claim to know about this Pokemon family if I have not seen it before? This is the nature of true learning--it does not necessarily take place in a classroom."

[I see...] Tintri mused--Mr. Pokemon did have a point.

---------

"Tintri!" Ash called as he led the group through the brush. "Where are you, bud?"

"Hana!" Lyra called before spotting Tintri's and Hana's tracks by the shore of the stream. "Hey guys, I think I found where they got to!"

"That's the pathway to Mr. Pokemon's house--if you follow the stream until the path forks, you'll find it." Ethan mused as he studied the map.

"Then it was maybe at this point they realized they were lost and decided to go that way." Misty suggested. "Let's go see!"

"Lead the way." Brock smiled at Ethan. "Although they did go to one of your two designated meeting spots, so I see no reason to punish them when we find them."

After winding their way to the cabin, Ethan knocked at the door. "More guests?" he heard a voice say, but just as Mr. Pokemon opened the door, Tintri dashed onto Ash's shoulder, and Lyra bounded into Lyra's arms. "Oh, I see you found your masters..." Mr. Pokemon smiled.

[Everyone, this is the famous Mr. Pokemon.] Tintri explained, gesturing to Mr. Pokemon. [He's been to all kinds of faraway places, including a region where a mountain splits it in half!]

"Nice to meet you." Ash smiled before tipping his cap in respect. "I can't thank you enough for taking care of Tintri for me..."

"...and looking after Hana for me." Lyra agreed as she stroked Hana's leaf.

"My pleasure." Mr. Pokemon replied as he returned with the odd egg. "This is what I wanted Professor Elm to examine--I believe it to be the young form of a Pokemon family I haven't seen before."

"Lyra and I will get it there, as thanks for your looking after our Pokemon." Ethan replied as he accepted the egg holder.

"...and my friends and I are on our way to Violet City." Ash explained.

"Oh, so you're maybe challenging the Gym there?" Mr. Pokemon asked. "Your Pikachu should do just fine against Falkner's birds--but it's better to prepare too much than be unprepared."

"I'll keep that in mind!" Ash grinned as he hugged Tintri again, relieved his friend was all right...

To Be Continued...
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf;

Episode 13: A Lesson in Friendship (part 1)

"Welcome to Violet City...the city of nostalgic scents." Brock read the signpost as the group made their way around a corner, where they could see many rooftops and treetops in the distance.

Misty sniffed the air. "I can definitely smell something nostalgic, all right...the Cheri blossoms in the springtime..."

"Mom's awesome chocolate chip cookies..." Ash sighed dreamily.

"Then what are we waiting for?" Brock's voice snapped both Ash and Misty back to reality. "We'll find more things to do and nostalgic scents to sample in town."

He motioned for Ash and Misty to follow him. "Last one there's a rotten Exeggcute!"

"Hey, wait for us!" Misty cried as Brock charged down the hill into the city.

---------

"And over to the north you will see Sprout Tower..." Brock read from the guidebook, making a grand gesture to a magnificent purple pagoda-like tower in the distance that dwarfed even the tallest office buildings. "The tower itself is over 100 feet tall, and is held together by a giant flexible pillar that shakes from side to side. This flexibility protects the tower from earthquakes, and symbolizes the battles that are occurring on upper floors."

"Cool!" Ash gasped.

"That means you can see the tower from anywhere in the city!" Misty agreed, awed at the tower's height.

"According to legend, a 100-foot-tall Bellsprout was used to make the swaying pillar." Brock went on before a thought occurred to him. "How said 100-foot-tall Bellsprout made the pillar depends on the teller--there's actually many different versions of the story."

Tintri, however, was interested in the rainbow of zinnias lining the streets, and scrambled off of Ash's shoulder to get a look. [Wow...these are so pretty!] he smiled before approaching a red zinnia to sniff it.

"Oh, what a cute little Pikachu!" Tintri suddenly felt himself being picked up and held in an awkward position by a navy haired schoolgirl.

"Were you lost, little guy?" a brown haired boy asked as he reached out in an attempt to touch Tintri, never mind that Tintri was sparking angrily in the girl's arms.

[Put me down, please!] Tintri pleaded as his sparks grew more numerous and brighter.

Ash hurried over to the two children. "When a Pikachu sparks like that, they're uncomfortable or feel threatened." he calmly explained as Tintri wriggled out of the girl's death grip and bounded back on Ash's shoulder.

"Oh, so the Pikachu is yours? We thought he was a wild Pikachu that wandered into town." the girl explained. "We're sorry."

"There you are!" a navy haired woman smiled as she ran up to the two children. "Morning break is over, so you should be back with us in class."

As the two children hurried back to their waiting classmates, the woman introduced herself to the group. "My name is Priscilla...I teach over at the Pokemon Academy." She made a grand gesture to a large brick building nearby, where many other students were coming and going. "But my students prefer to call me Miss Priscilla."

"I'm Ash..." Ash replied. "...and these are my friends and traveling companions Misty..." Misty waved hello. "...and Brock..."

"Nice to meet you." Brock replied as he stashed his guidebook back in his bag. "As well as trainers, we know a lot about Kanto lore, and lore from elsewhere...."

"Would the kids like to hear some songs and stories from Kanto?" Misty offered.

"As well as some true stories from our travels?" Ash agreed, getting more and more excited all the while.

"What a great idea!" Miss Priscilla smiled. "It would be a great opportunity for them to learn about and appreciate cultures different from theirs, since many of them will travel as trainers and coordinators."

"That, and you can teach them how to hold a Pikachu correctly." Misty smiled as the group followed Miss Priscilla and her class into the school.

---------

"Okay...this is how you properly handle a Pikachu." Ash addressed the kids in an activity room. "Pikachu are naturally very curious and outgoing, but they can be a little shy at first, so be patient if they don't want to approach on the first try."

He then got down to Tintri's eye level, and offered his hand. "If they do show an interest, offer your hand in a non-threatening way. In other words, keep your hand below the Pikachu's eye level and bring your hand slowly closer to the Pikachu from an angle." he explained as he did this.

"Approaching from above can be very frightening to a small Pokemon like Pikachu, and you could be mistaken for a predator." Brock added. "So if the Pikachu is interested in interaction, it's best to let it come to you or picking them up by gently scooping them."

"Aw"s filled the room as Tintri bounded into Ash's arms, but then, a girl spotted the group's instrument cases. "Oh boy! Are we gonna have a sing along?"

Brock smiled. "I don't see why not." he replied, to thunderous cheers from the children. "Just give us a few minutes to tune, and we'll have a jam session."

As Misty and Brock set to work tuning their instruments, one boy noticed the green mouthpiece of Ash's main whistle peeking from a pocket. "What's that?"

"This is a tin whistle--if you took a Pokeflute and took it through the wash, this is what you'd get." Ash explained. "The biggest difference between the two is a Pokeflute can play in any key, while a tin whistle can only play in one or two keys."

"Oh"s filled the air at this. "So while many people start on a whistle before moving up to a Pokeflute, it's also possible to learn them backwards, like some famous players did." Ash went on, to some giggles.

He noticed Brock signaling that he and Misty were ready to play. "So let's get going with one of our favorite sets..."

With that, he led the way into a set of polkas they often played around the campfire, with Tintri and Ami dancing and the kids and Miss Priscilla eagerly clapping along.

After the Vermilion Polka had raced to its conclusion, Misty started "Come Give Me Your Hand"--the song that signaled Brock had a story to tell.

Once the fiddle's last note dies, Brock begins "Once upon a time, there was a beautiful kingdom ruled by a kind and just king and queen. But one year, the king had to go to war and defend his realm from invaders."

Piqued murmurs fill the room at the tale's beginning. "While the king was away on the battlefield, his wife, the queen, gave birth to twin sons. There was great rejoicing throughout the land, and messengers were dispatched to the king with the joyous news." Brock continues. "Both boys were strong and healthy, and grew up like little trees. The one who was the older, but barely just, was the hardier of the two. Even as a toddling child he was always playing in the courtyard and struggling to climb on the back of a Shiny Ponyta that had been given to him because it was about his own age."

"Aw"s fill the room as the children picture the heartwarming scene. "His brother, on the other hand, preferred to play inside on the soft carpets." Brock explains. "He was always following his mother and never went outside, except when he followed the queen into the garden."

He adds as an aside "This was why the younger prince became the mother's favorite."

Nervous giggles fill the air--choosing a favorite child usually didn't end well for the family. "The boys were seven years old before their father the king returned from battle victorious." Brock goes on. "He looked at his sons with pride and joy and he asked the queen the billion credit question: which was the older and which was the younger?

Whispers of debate begin wafting through the room, but Brock is quick to quiet the chatter. "The queen, thinking that the king was asking in order to know who was the heir to the throne, slipped in her favorite as the older. The king, of course, did not question his wife's word and so, from that day on, he always spoke of the younger one as his heir."

The children's whispers turn angry as Brock continues "When the boys had come of age, the older one--we'll call him Brian--got tired of life at home and of hearing his brother always spoken of as the future king. He longed to go out into the world and seek his fortune and adventures of his own. One day, as he was pouring out his heart to the little shiny Ponyta that had been his companion from infancy, much to his amazement the Ponyta--whose name was Epona--spoke to him and said..."

"Since you are not happy at home, let us go out into the world in search of fortune." Misty jumps in the role of Epona. "But do not go without your father's permission. Take no one with you and mount no Ponyta but me. This will bring you good luck."

Brock interjects "Prince Brian asked Epona how she could speak the words of humans." as Ash, as Prince Brian, pantomimes asking Misty the question.

"Don't ask me," Misty replies. "I can't tell you. But I want to be your friend and counselor, and I will be as long as you do as I tell you."

"Prince Brian promised to do everything Epona told him to do." Brock continues. "So he went to his father to ask permission to go out into the world. At first, his father was unwilling to let him go, but his mother gave her permission. After a little bit of pleading and coaxing..." Giggles go up at Brock's understatement. "he finally won his father's consent. Of course, the king wanted Prince Brian to go forth in a manner befitting his rank with a great company of men and Ponytas. But Prince Brian insisted that he wished to go alone."

"Why, my dear father, do I need any such retinue as you suggest?" Ash rants as Prince Brian, to the children's delight. "Let me have some money for the journey, and let me ride off alone on my own little Ponyta. This will give me more freedom and less trouble."

Laughter goes up at this. "Again he had to argue with his father for some time, but at last he succeeded in arranging everything to his liking." Brock assures his audience as he retrieves his guitar. "Before long, the day of parting came. Epona stood saddled at the castle gate. Prince Brian bade farewell to his parents and his brother. They all said tearful goodbyes, but at the last moment the queen had a change of heart, and told Prince Brian the truth. She made him solemnly promise that he would return home within a year, or at least send them word of his whereabouts at that time."

Excited whispers go up as the children speculate what adventures Prince Brian and Epona will get into. "So Prince Brian mounted Epona, and off they went." Brock continues over a droning melody that sounds like galloping. "Epona went at a surprising pace for a Pokemon that was seventeen years old, but to be fair, she was no ordinary Ponyta. The years had not touched her at all. Her coat was as smooth as satin and shone as white as the moon. Her mane glowed blue instead of red like other Ponytas. No matter how far she traveled, she never tired."

Awed gasps and whispers fill the air at Epona's description as the droning melody transforms into the jig "Light At the Close of Day". to mimic the passage of time, prompting some of the children to clap along. "Epona carried Prince Brian a great distance until they spotted the towers of a beautiful city." Brock continues when the last chord dies. "Then Epona left the beaten path and crossed a field to a huge rock. When they reached the rock, Epona laid a hoof on it and sang...."

Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... Misty fills in the song.

Wild cheers fill the air at the familiar spellsong. "...and the rock opened. They rode inside and Prince Brian found himself in a comfortable stable." Brock continues as himself.

Misty instructs Ash in character "Now you will leave me here, and go on alone to the nearby town. You must pretend you are a poor boy, and be careful never to reveal who you really are. Present yourself at court and have the king take you into his service. When you need anything, no matter what it is, come to the rock, sing the song 'Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul', and the rock will open to you."

Brock continues "Prince Brian thought to himself: 'Epona certainly knows what she's talking about, so of course I'll do as she says.' So he disguised himself by dressing in ragged clothes, putting a patch over one eye, and making his face look pale and sallow. Then he presented himself at court and told the most heartwrenching tale of woe he could think of. The king felt sorry for Prince Brian, and took him into his service."

He starts a playful melody as he continues "Prince Brian was capable and quick at everything he was told to do, and it wasn't long before the king put him in charge of the household. His advice was asked in all matters of importance and all day long he hurried about the castle going from one thing to another. If the king needed a scribe, there wasn't a cleverer one anywhere than Prince Brian. Before long, he was well loved and well liked by the entire court."

The guitar's song begins slowing down into a love theme. "Now, the king had three daughters, each more beautiful than the other." Brock explains as he plays. "The oldest was named Orla, the second, Ariana, and the youngest, Christina."

Light applause goes up in approval of the princess' names. "Prince Brian loved to be with the three princesses and as he was presumed to be a poor boy, the king made no objection to his spending time with them." Brock continues, still playing his love song. "How could the king possibly think that there was any danger of a poor boy stealing the heart of one of the princesses? They liked him, all three of them, and were always taking him with them wherever they went. He wove garlands for them, spun golden thread, picked them flowers, and drew them designs of birds and flowers for their embroidery. He liked them all, but he liked Princess Christina best. Everything he did for her was done a little better than for the others. The garlands he wove her were richer, the designs he drew for her were more beautiful. The two older sisters noticed this and laughed, and when they were alone they teased Princess Christina. Princess Christina, who had a sweet and amiable disposition, knew the teasing was all in good fun, and happily played along."

The love song then begins to turn into a somber lament. "Prince Brian had been at the court for some time when one morning he found the king sitting sad and gloomy over his breakfast. So he asked him what was the matter." Brock narrates.

"Is it possible, my dear boy," he sighs in a gentle, deeper version of himself--his favorite "king" voice to perform--"that you don't know what's the matter? Don't you know the calamity that threatens us? Don't you know the bitter three days that are at hand for me?"

He interjects as himself "Prince Brian, alarmed by the seriousness of the king's manner, shook his head no."

"Then I'll tell you," he replies as the king over the lament he is playing, "although you can be of no help. Years ago three Hydreigons came flying through this land and landed on a great rock near here. They laid waste to the country, devouring the Tauros and killing men, women, children, and Pokemon alike. Soon the city was in a state of siege. To keep them away we placed all the food we had outside the gates, and in a short time we ourselves were starving. In desperation I had an old wise woman called to court, and asked her was there any way to drive these monsters from the land. The only way to drive them off was to promise the awful creatures my three beautiful daughters when they came of age. At that time, my daughters were only small children and I thought to myself many things might happen in the years before they grew up. So, to relieve my stricken land, I promised the Hydreigons my daughters. The poor queen died of a broken heart, but my daughters grew up knowing nothing of their fate. As soon as I made the monstrous bargain, the Hydreigons flew away and until yesterday were never seen again. Last night, a shepherd, beside himself with terror, brought me the news that the Hydreigons are again settled in their old rock and are sending out fearful roars. Tomorrow I must sacrifice to them my oldest child Princess Orla, the day after tomorrow my second child, Princess Ariana, and the day after that my youngest, Princess Christina."

Gasps and "oh no"s race through the crowd as the guitar's last foreboding chord fades away. "Prince Brian was horrified at what he heard, and hurried to the princesses' room." Brock continues as himself. "He found them dressed all in black and looking white as a Gastly. They were sitting in a row and bemoaning their terrible fate. Prince Brian tried to comfort them, telling them that surely a great hero would appear to rescue them. But they paid no mind to him and kept on moaning and crying. Grief and confusion spread throughout the city, for everyone loved the royal family. Every house as well as the palace was soon draped in black and the sound of mourning was heard on every side."

After a few tense seconds, Brock goes on "One night, Prince Brian hurried secretly out of the city and across the field to the rock where Epona was stabled. He laid his hands on the rock and sang..."

Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... Ash fills in the song as Prince Brian.

"...the rock opened, and he entered." Brock continues. "He stroked Epona's glowing blue mane and kissed her muzzle in greeting."

"My dear Epona," Ash explains as Prince Brian, "I have come to you for advice. Help me and I will be happy forever."

He pantomimes talking to Misty as Brock narrates "...and he told Epona the story of the Hydreigons."

"Oh, I know all about those Hydreigons," Misty replies as Epona. "In fact, it was that you might rescue the princesses that I brought you here in the first place. Early tomorrow morning come back and I will tell you what to do."

Excited whispers fill the air in anticipation of a battle. "Prince Brian returned to the castle with such joy shining in his face that if anyone had noticed him, he would have gotten yelled at." Brock continues as himself over a hopeful melody. "He spent the day with the princesses trying to comfort and console them, but in spite of all he could do they felt only more terrified as the hours went by."

As the last chord of his hopeful song dies, he continues "The next day, at the first streak of dawn, he was at the rock. Epona greeted him and said..."

Misty instructs Ash as Epona "Lift up the stone under my trough and take what you find there."

"Prince Brian did as he was told." Brock narrates, to the children's giggles as Ash pantomimes lifting something heavy. "He lifted the stone and under the stone he found a large chest. Inside the chest he found three beautiful suits of clothing, with caps and plumes to match, a sword and a bridle. The first suit was red embroidered in silver and studded with diamonds, the second was deep blue and embroidered in gold, and the third was green,and richly embroidered with silver and studded with diamonds and pearls. For all three suits there was but one mighty sword. Its blade was beautifully inlaid and its scabbard shone with precious stones. The bridle was also richly jeweled."

"Wow"s and awed whistles fill the room as the children and Miss Priscilla picture the magical items. "All three suits are for you," Misty explains as Epona. "For the first day, put on the red one."

Brock quickly narrates "So Prince Brian dressed himself in the red suit, buckled on his sword, and threw the bridle over Epona's head."

"Have no fear," Misty assures the audience as Epona. "Cut bravely into the monster, trusting to your sword. And remember, do not dismount."

Brock continues over a tense theme "At the castle heartbroken farewells were being said. Princess Orla parted from her father and her sisters, stepped into a carriage, and accompanied by a great multitude of her weeping subjects was slowly driven out of town to Dragon's Rock. As they neared the meeting spot Princess Orla stepped into the grass. She took a few steps forward, then collapsed on the ground." Nervous giggles go up as he plays a downward glissando on one string to mimic Princess Orla fainting.

The tense melody gives way into the Zelda theme. "At that moment the people saw galloping toward them a knight with a red and white plume. In a voice of authority he ordered them to stand back and leave him to deal with the Hydreigon. They were glad enough to lead Princess Orla away and went to a hill, where they could watch the impending battle at a safe distance." Brock continues as he plays. "Then there was a deep rumbling noise, the earth shook, and Dragon's Rock opened. A huge Hydreigon crawled out, and it spat fire and poison from all three mouths and turned all three of its heads this way and that, looking for its promised prey. When he saw the knight he let out a horrible roar."

The audience begins clapping along with the iconic video game theme, as if cheering Prince Brian on as Brock gives the play by play. "Prince Brian rode straight at him and with one blow of his sword cut off one of the Hydreigon's heads. The Hydreigon writhed and enveloped Prince Brian in flames and poisonous fumes. But Prince Brian, undaunted, struck at him again and again until he had cut off all three heads. The life that still remained in the loathsome body, Epona finished with her hooves."

Cheers go up as Brock plays the "got item" stinger to signal a victory. "When the Hydreigon had perished, Prince Brian turned and galloped back the way he had come. Princess Orla looked after him, wishing she could follow him to thank him for rescuing her. But she remembered her father back at the castle and felt it was her duty to come back to him as quickly as she could."

He grins at the enthralled audience. "I can't even begin to describe the king's joy when Princess Orla appeared before him safe and sound. Her sisters embraced her and wondered if a hero would rescue them as well. Prince Brian assured them that he was certain they, too, would be saved. Although the prospect of the next morning still terrified them, hope had come to them, and Prince Brian even succeeded in making them laugh a few times."

"Aw"s go up as the audience pictures Prince Brian making the princesses laugh. "The next day, Princess Ariana was led out." Brock snaps the audience back to reality with an expectant Bb chord. As he plays a slightly lower key version of the Zelda theme, he adds "Just like the day before, the unknown knight appeared, this time wearing a royal blue costume. He attacked the second Hydreigon and, after a long and valiant battle, dispatched it. Then before anyone could reach him, he turned and rode away."

He interjects as he stops the song "Princess Ariana returned to the castle, saddened that she had not been able to speak to the knight and express her gratitude. Princess Christina then said..."

In his best mimic of a young girl, he scolds "You, my sisters, were silly not to speak to him before he rode away. Tomorrow if he rescues me, I will kneel before him; and not get up until he consents to return with me to the castle."

As himself, he continues "Prince Brian burst out laughing at this and Princess Christina asked him what was so funny. He explained that he, too, wanted to see the hero."

A foreboding riff quiets the "Aw"s. "On the third day, Princess Christina was taken out to Dragon's Rock, and this time, the king came too." Brock intones. "Princess Christina's heart raced when she thought that if the unknown hero failed to appear she would be handed over to the horrible monster."

Cheers go up as the guitar begins the familiar Zelda theme again. "A joyous shout from the people told her that the hero was coming." Brock narrates over the song. "Then she saw him, a gallant figure in green with a white plume floating in the wind. As he had killed the first Hydreigon, and the second Hydreigon, so he killed the third; although the struggle was longer and Epona had her hooves full trying to stand up against the poisonous fumes."

The crowd enthusiastically claps along with the iconic video game song before it comes to a screeching halt four repetitions later. "After a very long and drawn out battle, the Hydreigon was slain." Brock smiles, playing the "got item" stinger to thunderous cheers. "Princess Christina and the king rushed up to the hero and begged him to return with them to the castle. He hardly knew how to refuse, especially when Princess Christina, kneeling before him, grasped the edge of his tunic and looked up at him with such sad Growlithe eyes that his heart melted and he was ready to do anything she asked."

He then interjects "But Epona took matters into her own hooves, reared up suddenly, and galloped off before the hero had time to dismount."

Laughter goes up at this. "So Princess Christina, too, was unable to bring the hero back to the castle." Brock goes on. "The king and all the court were understandably disappointed, but their disappointment was swallowed up in their joy that the princesses had been so miraculously saved. But a few days later, with Epona's permission, Prince Brian revealed himself to Princess Christina, told her everything, and explained why he had to hide his identity from her. This only made Princess Christina's love for him even stronger, and it wasn't long before the two of them were married."

He concludes "Prince Brian and Epona went on many more adventures together, but that is another story for another day!" He adds a playful flourish on the guitar to prove his point.

The crowd roars as Brock sets the guitar aside and takes a sweeping bow along with Ash and Misty...

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 11-12-2016 at 12:35 AM.

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf;

Episode 14: A Lesson in Friendship (part 2)

The children cheered as the bell rang for lunch some time later, with Ash, Misty, and Brock not far behind. As the children hurried to unpack their lunches and eat, Miss Priscilla smiled at the trio. "You three have real talent...you should take your music and stories on the road!"

"Aw, we're just three good friends who enjoy sharing songs and stories with each other." Ash smiled, flattered someone had complimented them.

"In fact, how would you like to join us on our trip to Sprout Tower this afternoon?" Miss Priscilla offered. "I'm sure the children would love hearing about the hundred foot Bellsprout that formed the swaying pillar."

"I know that story, actually--or at least a version anyone in Kanto knows." Brock replied. "So I'd be happy to tell it."

Ash, meanwhile. was mingling with the students, answering their questions and getting to know them. "If you competed in the Kanto League, why didn't you win?" a boy with messy black hair asked.

"I was a beginner--but even though I didn't win the League, I DID learn a lot of valuable lessons on the way." Ash explained to the boy. "Things like teamwork, perseverance, courage, and loyalty."

The boy, meanwhile, noticed Tintri. "Hey, little guy...name's Zackie--wanna be friends?"

Tintri uneasily sparked in reply. "I could be a way better partner than Hat-boy could ever be, so come with me!" Zackie pleaded.

[But what if I LIKE Ash?] Tintri retorted as his sparks grew larger and brighter as Zackie's hand inched closer and closer. He finally discharged his tiny Thundershock, then darted into a forested area not far from the school courtyard.

The crackle of a thunderbolt snapped Ash to attention. "Tintri!" he gasped as he watched Tintri dart away.

"Come back here!" Zackie was not far behind. "You're gonna be my Pokemon now!

---------

"I know you're here, Pikachu..." Zackie called as he crawled through the brush near the school. "You're gonna be mine if it's the last thing I do!"

He gasped when he saw what he thought was Pikachu ears peeking up through a patch of tall grass. "Ah ha! I gotcha now!" With that, he heaved the Poke Ball at what he believed was Tintri "Poke Ball, go!"

Ash and the real Tintri watched the Poke Ball shake on the ground from the safety of a bush. [Should we tell Zackie what he really caught?] Tintri whispered, being careful not to alert Zackie to his presence.

"Nah...he'll find out right about..." Ash watched as Zackie heaved his Poke Ball skyward, only to balk when he saw a small sprout Pokemon materialize before him. "now..."

"How did I get a Bellsprout?" Zackie gasped at the spindly sprout that stood before him. "I wanted that Pikachu!"

"If you wanted a Pikachu that badly, you should have got one of your own instead of trying to take my partner away from me." Ash calmly but sternly explained as he and Tintri emerged from the brush. "If a Pokemon has a name, it belongs to someone, no ifs, ands, or buts."

Zackie glumly looked over at the Bellsprout he had caught. "Okay...I'll see what I can do with this Bellsprout..." he sighed. "I'm sorry I tried to take your Pikachu....will you ever forgive me?" he asked Ash

Ash's angry look softened when he saw tears shining in Zackie's eyes. "Of course I forgive you...with a little love and patience, I'm sure you and your Bellsprout will be best friends in no time!

He motioned for Zackie to follow him. "Come on...let's go rejoin your classmates at Sprout Tower."

---------

"So did you finally talk Zackie out of wanting Tintri?" Misty asked as Ash and Tintri arrived, where Brock was telling Miss Priscilla and the class a version of the story of how the swaying pillar in the center of the tower came to be.

"I think so--I found Tintri hiding behind a rock, then watched Zackie catch one of these.." Ash then showed Misty the Pokedex, which depicted a Bellsprout on its screen:

"Bellsprout, the flower Pokemon. Even though its body is extremely skinny, it is blindingly fast when catching its prey."

"I see..." Misty smiled before noticing smoke coming from the tower's top floor. "That's funny...do you see smoke coming from the top of the tower, or is it just me?"

"As the soldiers advanced on the tower, the Bellsprout...refused...to...." Brock trailed off when he too noticed the smoke. "Is there something burning in here?"

Miss Priscilla gasped when she noticed the smoke. "Oh my! Everyone get outside, quickly!" she told the class.

"We'll go investigate before we alert the fire department." Misty offered before taking one of her Poke Balls. "It could just be smoke from an errant Smokescreen."

"If it is fire, we'll let you know." Ash assured the frightened children and Miss Priscilla as Brock hurried to comfort a frightened girl.

"What about me?" Ash heard Zackie say. "I wanna help too--as an apology for trying to take your Pikachu."

Ash couldn't resist smiling. "All right, but you have to do everything Misty and I tell you, okay?"

"Got it!" Zackie replied before following Ash and Misty up the tower.

---------

"Okay! Spritz, clear the air!" Misty commanded as she heaved her Poke Ball skyward, revealing her Seadra. As Spritz sprayed a stream of water to dispel the smoke, she could see Kamon staring down the tower elders' fainted Bellsprout.

Kamon then noticed Ash and Misty watching him. "He calls himself the Elder, but he was no match for me." he bragged. "Sure enough, those who lecture how you should be "nice" to Pokémon… They cannot defeat me. All I care about are strong Pokémon that win every time. The rest of them don't mean anything to me!"

"Oh yeah?" Zackie challenged as he summoned his Bellsprout. "Winning isn't everything!"

Kamon just smirked. "Really? Try me..."

Ash watched as Kamon summoned Spike to face Zackie's Bellsprout. I applaud Zackie for trying to stand up to Kamon, but his Bellsprout's gonna need some help against Kamon's Cyndaquil...

[Do I need to step in and help?] Tintri asked. [I mean, even though Zackie tried to capture me before, I have no hard feelings against him....]

"If you feel called to help Zackie, then go help Zackie." Ash replied as he watched the Bellsprout stare down the Cyndaquil. "You don't need my permission."

[Got it!] Tintri nodded before he hurried over to where Zackie and Kamon stared each other down.

"If we're gonna battle, then make your move--I don't have all day." Kamon sneered.

Zackie, however, noticed Spike wheezing from exhaustion. He's weakened! I may have a chance to beat him!

He then called "Bellsprout, use Razor Leaf!"

"Tintri, supercharge Bellsprout's Razor Leaf with a Thunderbolt!" Ash called.

[HAAAAAAH!!!] Tintri fired a massive Thunderbolt, darkening the Razor Leaves as they gained a yellow aura, sending Spike flying backwards before landing at Kamon's feet, swirly eyed.

"I did it!" Zackie cried as he ran to hug Ash, aware all the while of Kamon departing with a huff. "I couldn't have done it without you...and I think I know what you mean when you say your Pikachu's your best partner."

"Isn't that what training Pokemon is all about?" Misty asked as she, Brock, and the class arrived. "Building friendships with your Pokemon?"

"Yeah...and everybody's got their own special Pokemon partner!" Zackie went on. "My partner is Bellsprout, just like Ash has his Pikachu."

He looked over at Ash. "Ash...I wanna battle with you when Bellsprout evolves into a Weepinbell, and then eventually a Victreebel!"

"I can make it happen the next time we come--or even if we meet again in the League." Ash smiled.

"Think you could write a song about me and Bellsprout's adventures?" Zackie asked Brock.

"Sure...I'll call it 'The Ballad of Zackie and Bellsprout'!" Brock replied.

"You have to play it the next time you guys come!" Zackie reminded Brock, to everyone's laughter that resonated through the Tower...

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf;

Episode 15: Courage Takes Flight

"Wow!" Ash gasped as the group approached a lavender tower-like building filled with windows that spanned the building's entire height. "This is the Violet City Gym???"

"Sure is..." Brock replied. "Dedicated to Flying type Pokemon, as Mr. Pokemon told you before."

"He did say Tintri would do just fine against the Gym Leader's birds." Ash mused as he hurried up to one of the windows and peeked inside. "Although it appears he--or she--is out at the moment..."

Just then, Misty looked in the sky and gasped. "Look! Up in the sky!"

"What is it, Misty? You see a superhero or something?" Ash asked before looking up at the spot Misty was pointing at, where two winged beings circled and weaved around each other in an intricate aerial ballet over the Gym and the three awed onlookers on the ground.

After a moment or two, the beings sped toward the ground, where the group could see what they were more clearly--a Pidgeot and a navy haired boy piloting a deep blue hang glider with silver feather-like trim. "The glider pilot must know what he's doing to fly that close to a Pidgeot..." Brock noted as Pidgeot and pilot wove and circled around each other as they made their way to the ground, giving a little flair to a carefully controlled and well rehearsed descent.

Misty couldn't help applauding when the glider pilot touched down on the ground some moments later. "Bravo! That was amazing!"

"Thanks..." the boy smiled as he climbed out of the glider harness and brushed some leaves and dirt from his matching royal blue flight suit. "Taka and I make a point to go flying together at least once a day, when I'm not busy tending to my Gym Leader duties."

"Taka?" Ash asked.

The boy whistled, and the Pidgeot fluttered onto his shoulder. "I'm Falkner, and this is Taka." he explained, gesturing to the Pidgeot. "Hatched him and raised him from a Pidgey."

"Nice to meet you Falkner--I'm Ash." Ash began. "...and these are my two companions Misty..." Misty waved hello. "...and Brock." Brock gave a wave hello while admiring the majestic Pidgeot perched on Falkner's shoulder. "I have my own Pidgeot as well..."

He then heaved a Poke Ball skyward. "Come on out, Mina!"

"Oh, so your Pidgoet is a girl..." Falkner smiled as a second Pidgeot, this one female, emerged in a flash of red light and landed on Ash's shoulder. "If you don't mind my asking, how did you two meet?" Falkner asked.

"I caught her as a Pidgeotto in Viridian Forest, and she earned me a few Gym Badges." Ash explained. "Are you taking challenges at the moment?"

"If you feel confident enough, I gladly accept your challenge." Falkner replied. "Let's go inside and get my gear put away, then we'll go up to the arena."

Ash nodded. "Mina, return." he commanded, recalling his Pidgeot before giddily racing inside the Gym...

---------

"Whoa..." Ash gasped, as he, Misty, Brock, and Falkner--now in an elegant cyan and blue kimono-like outfit--stepped out into an open air arena at the top of the tower. "We're gonna battle here?"

"Yes, we are." Falkner smiled. "Thankfully, there are safety barriers to keep us and our Pokemon from falling."

"Good thinking." Brock agreed as he took a seat on a bench near the silver side of the arena.

Misty, meanwhile, was more enthused about the view than her friend's upcoming battle. "You can see all of Violet City from here, if not all of Johto!"

Falkner grinned. "Win or lose, I want my challengers to have a memory of our match--and the view's what they often remember."

He next addressed Ash as a referee arrived. "Which side of the arena will you take? Gold or Silver?"

"Silver!" Ash replied before hurrying to the right side of the arena, with Tintri not far behind him.

"Representing the Gold side, Gym Leader Falkner and Mie!" the referee announced as Falkner summoned an intimidating bird Pokemon with three heads. "And representing the Silver side, Ash Ketchum and Tintri!"

Falkner's expression turned business-like as Ash and Tintri cheered. "People say you can clip Flying-type Pokémon's wings with a jolt of electricity...but I wouldn't get too comfortable on that knowledge alone!"

"Bring it on!" Ash shot back.

"Are all the competitors ready?" the referee asked.

"Let's do this." Falkner replied.

Ash and Tintri cheered in reply. "Okay! Three...two...one..." The referee's whistle resounded through the city, alerting those down below that a Gym battle had begun.

"I'll show you the real power of the magnificent bird Pokémon!" Falkner smirked as the three headed bird Pokemon charged at Tintri. Tintri effortlessly jumped out of the way, landing at Ash's feet moments later.

Ash made a T signal with his hand. "Time out--Silver." the referee announced.

He next motioned for the referee to come over. "Is it okay to use a Pokedex for basic information on an opponent?"

"So long as it does not give you an unfair advantage, using a Pokedex to form strategies is fine." the referee replied before retreating back to her post at the dividing line that cut the Poke Ball arena in half.

Ash, meanwhile, consulted Dexter to size up his opponent:

"Dodrio, the triple bird Pokemon. An enemy that takes its eyes off any of the three heads--even for a second--will get pecked severely."

"You hear that, bud? Be on your guard." Ash cautioned Tintri as he pocketed Dexter as the referee's whistle signaled the end of his time out.

"Silver has two time outs remaining." the referee announced. "Resume battle!"

"Are you sure a little Pikachu's gonna be enough to take out Mie?" Falkner asked. "No challenger has ever defeated her!"

"Yet!" Ash shot back. "No challenger has defeated her YET--and I'm gonna be the first!"

Both competitors called at the same time "Use Agility!"

Both Pikachu and Dodrio raced at each other, each of them bright blue colored blurs to the spectators on the Silver sideline. As Tintri raced to avoid the large Dodrio in a somewhat choreographed routine of head on charges, near misses, and dodges, he thought he saw a glimpse of the Dodrio's body as he raced by. This is my chance to stun her! I just have to fire a Thunderbolt on my next pass!

He fired a Thunderbolt as he circled around the Silver side of the arena, but balked as the Dodrio effortlessly jumped over the attack, leaving the Thunderbolt to arc gracefully into the safety barrier at the north end of the room.

[WAUGH!!!] he yelped as the Dodro pinned him to the wall, then pecked at him one-two-three-four-five times. Try as he could to get free, the Dodrio pinned him to the arena floor moments later.

[Oh no...] was all he could muster as he watched the Dodrio's beaks start spinning like drills.

"Drill Peck!" Brock noted as Tintri was mercilessly pecked by three beaks at once.

"Tintri!" Ash gasped as he helplessly watched Tintri get battered by the Drill Peck. "Hang in there for me, okay?"

"Mie, use Tri Attack!" Falkner ordered.

"Tintri, if you can, take it down with Thunder!" Ash commanded.

Mie opened her beaks and positioned her heads so each beak became a corner in a triangle. An orb of energy then formed inside Mie's beaks--the right one was green, the top one was indigo, and the left one was red. A red triangle then formed in between the orbs.

Tintri braced himself. Once the triangle starts to turn indigo, I need to dodge, and quick!

He saw Mie fire the triangle, then wall jumped away as the triangle exploded on the safety barrier. [HIIIIIIII-YAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!] he screeched as he fired a massive thunderbolt, shocking Mie and causing her to slump to the floor, swirly eyed. "Mie is unable to battle--Tintri wins!" the referee announced.

A smile formed on Falkner's face. "I must commend you for being the first for defeating Mie. But now it's time to get serious by showing you Taka's power!

"Hope you've got another Pokemon, Ash..." Misty mused as Tintri arrived on the sideline for a well deserved Potion and wipedown.

"I do..." Ash assured Misty before taking the other Poke Ball he carried and addressing Falkner. "So, Taka's your ace? I'll show you mine!"

He then heaved the Poke Ball skyward. "Blaze, come on out!"

Even Falkner was impressed at the majestic orange dragon that circled around the arena and landed on the Silver side of the arena...

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf;

Episode 16: Blazes of Glory

[Good to see you again, Ash...] Blaze smiled as he landed by Ash's side. [Who's our opponent here?]

"This is Taka, Falkner's Pidgeot." Ash gestured to the majestic brown bird Pokemon with an ornate, red, orange, and yellow crest facing him and Blaze. "Tintri's on the ropes, so I need you to finish the job!"

[You got it!] With that, Blaze took off and stopped over the arena's dividing line.

"Taka, take flight!" Falkner commanded.

[Yee-ha!] Taka cried as he soared skyward, eager to engage the Charizard hovering over the middle of the arena. But Blaze blew out a wave of fire in Taka's direction, only to balk as Taka effortlessly wove through the flames.

[What do we do now? The Pidgeot avoided my Flamethrower...] Blaze looked to Ash for advice.

"Keep trying!" Ash called from the ground. "Use Flamethrower in as many directions as you can! One of them should hit Taka eventually."

A toothy grin formed on Blaze's face. [Your strategies may be strange, but I know they will work.] he smiled before scanning the airspace above the arena for any sign of Taka.

He saw a brown blur out of the corner of his eye and blew a Flamethrower in the blur's path. When the blur veered out of the way of the stream of fire, Blaze would heave another fiery blast, only for the blur to dodge that Flamethrower as well.

On the ground, Misty watched Blaze's futile attempts to hit Taka. "It looks like a game of Whack-a-Diglett up there..."

"That's because Taka is using Agility to dodge Blaze's attacks no matter where he aims." Brock explained. "I think Falkner's trying to wear Blaze down before counterattacking."

In the arena, Ash was growing frustrated at Blaze's constant near misses. "Come on, I know you can hit him!"

[I'm trying, but he's moving too fast for me!] Blaze called back, before heaving another Flamethrower in the Pidgeot's direction.

He heard a rush of wind headed in his direction, but before he could fly out of the way, the small tornado sent him tumbling to the arena floor. [WAUUUUGH!!!]

[Not so high and mighty on the ground, are you, you overgrown lizard?] Taka taunted as his right wing started to glow bright white. [Feel the power of the wind!]

[AUGGGHHH!!!] Blaze yelped in pain as he was pummeled by the force of two Wing Attacks that pinned him to the floor. As he helplessly tried to get up, Taka slammed into him with a Quick Attack, leaving the majestic Charizard writhing on the floor in pain.

Ash, meanwhile, winced as his faithful Charizard was pummeled by the Pidgeot's merciless attack. What do I do now? At the rate Taka is pummeling Blaze, Blaze is a sitting Psyduck!

Falkner's voice snapped him back to reality. "Do you see just how powerful the wind can be? If I were you, I would just cut my losses and go train a bit more."

"No..." Ash growled. "I didn't come all this way to suffer humiliation and defeat...I came so I could prove my skills in a new region, and win their badges alongside the badges I earned in my home region--so I'm not giving up!"

Blaze weakly stood up. [You're right...I can't just lie here like a frightened Meowth and get pecked to death!]

He flexed his wings a little bit. [I still have enough oomph in me to take flight again--so let's do this!]

Ash cheered as Blaze took flight again. Maybe I have a chance to win after all! he thought as he watched Taka attempt to Quick Attack where Blaze had been lying moments earlier.

[What the...] Taka started, but gasped when he saw Blaze airborne again. [I thought I had you down for the count!]

[When you have a master that loves you and believes in you, you just can't keep a good mon down!] Blaze smirked.

He watched Taka power past him with Agility, but veered out of the way as Taka attempted Quick Attack again. When Taka tried again from another angle, Blaze just flew out of the way again.

On the ground, Brock realized what Blaze was doing. "Blaze is turning Falkner's own evasive strategy against him!"

"Let's see how good Falkner is at Whack-a-Diglett." Misty grinned as Blaze flew behind Taka, in hopes of catching the Pidgeot off guard.

Just as Taka was about to fly in for another Quick Attack attempt, Blaze turned around and surrounded Taka in the flaming circle of Fire Spin. [I gotcha now!] Blaze smirked. [I understand the power of the wind, for the wind fans the flames!]

With that, he grabbed Taka in his claws, flew to the top of the arena, gracefully performed a few spins to appeal to the audience down below, then zoomed back down, tossing Taka into the ground for more damage.

The referee's whistle pierced the air. "Taka is unable to battle--this match's winner is Silver!" she announced, gesturing to Falkner's swirly eyed Pidgeot.

"YES!!!" Misty cheered.

"Way to go, Ash!" Brock agreed.

A smile formed on Falkner's face. "I must commend you for your never say die attitude--that will allow you to soar on your Pokemon League quest." he told Ash as Ash ran to hug Blaze.

He offered Ash a silver badge that resembled a pair of wings. "In honor of your heroic effort here today, I give you this official Pokémon League Badge."

[We did it...] Tintri smiled as he hopped aboard Ash's shoulder and admired the tiny badge in his master's hands.

"You've just won your first Johto Badge...what are you gonna do next?" Brock grinned.

"Before we go to Worlds of Wonder? Shout what we did from the rooftops!" Ash replied before dashing out to the arena's observation deck with Blaze and Tintri.

After taking a moment to savor the view of Violet City at sunset, he held his new badge high and proclaimed "I got a Zephyr Badge!!!!", over Tintri's joyous squeak and Blaze's triumphant roar.

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

Episode 17: Tears of Courage

"Well done, Ash..." Misty smiled as the group departed Violet City the next morning. "I thought you were done for when Blaze was pinned to the floor!"

"You know Blaze...he's not the type to give up." Ash smiled.

"Now that you have your first badge, our next stop is Azalea Town, to the south." Brock explained as he studied the map of Johto in his guidebook.

Ash nodded. "I can't wait to battle the Gym Leader there!"

For a while, the walk down the road was uneventful until Misty noticed the majestic spires of mansions and trees in the distance. "Look! Another subdivision of mansions!"

"Welcome to Riverside Hills..." Brock read the welcome sign before spotting a dull green haired girl in a lovely magenta gown looking out on the mountains from a cliff.

Misty noticed the dreamy look on Brock's face. "Wait...I know that look..."

"That's the 'I-see-a-pretty-girl-so-I'm-gonna-get-my-guitar-out-and-sing-a-song-for-her' look..." Ash sighed as sure enough, Brock quickly got out his guitar and started tuning up.

Misty, meanwhile, noticed a familiar rotund blue mouse Pokemon tottling in the group's direction. "Aw! Another Marill!" she gasped, before heaving a Poke Ball skyward. "Go say hi, Ami!"

Brock was snapped from tuning up by the pop of a Poke Ball. "I wouldn't exactly plan on battling that Marill if I were you..." he cautioned, pointing out a pink bow on the Marill's tail.

"Relax, I was just gonna see if it would be interested in talking to other Marills." Misty assured Brock. "I'm sure Ami would love making some friends here too."

Ami, meanwhile, hurried up to the other Marill. [Hi! My name's Ami!]

The other Marill looked up at Ami, teared up, and burst into tears. [What's the matter? I only want to be your friend.] Ami smiled as she tried comforting the bawling Marill.

She looked over at Brock, who was just finishing his tuning. [Quick! Sing the happiest, most joyful song you know!]

"Before that though, I'm just gonna just try calming her first." Brock replied as he returned his instrument to its case and hurried over to the bawling Marill's side. "Sh, now...it's okay...we're not gonna hurt you..."

"It's working!" Ash grinned as the Marill's cries started to quiet.

Just then, the girl from before approached the group. "Well! That's the first time I've seen anyone besides me calm Lana down..."

"Thanks--all we wanted to do was say hello to it, and she just decided to cry at the sight of my own Marill, Ami." Misty explained.

"The girl giggled. "My name's Wilhomena...my family's raised Marills for many years, but I can't understand why Lana constantly cries, even at things that shouldn't be scary..."

Brock emerged before Wilhomena. "Hi, I'm Brock--maybe she needs a few happy songs to show how special she is and how lucky she is to be owned by an equally special young lady..."

Ami facepalmed. [Can I spray Brock, Mama, please?]

Misty sighed as Brock started a brisk melody. "Too late..."

But before Brock could sing a note of his song, Lana burst into tears and raced off towards a steep hill. "Uh oh!"

[She's headed for that cliff!] Tintri gasped as he dashed down the hill in an attempt to corral the bawling Marill. The hill proved to be steeper than he thought, and he ended up getting tangled as both he and Lana went rolling down the hill towards the forest and the raging river below.

"Tintri!" Ash called as he dashed down the hill in an attempt to catch both Tintri and Lana. However, he ended up tripping on a rock and crashing into a tree as Misty hurried down the hill.

"Stay with Brock and Wilhomena!" Misty called as she raced by. "And be sure Brock stays out of trouble!"

"But what about--?" Ash asked as he rubbed his arm in pain.

"I'll find Tintri and Lana! Don't worry!" Misty called back as she sprinted down the hill and leapt to catch both Pokemon moments before they could roll into the river. "There...I've got both of you--you guys okay?"

[Just a few scrapes, nothing major.] Tintri replied. [But judging how Lana's bawling, you'd think she lost a limb!] He gestured to Lana, who was still crying profusely.

"Sh...it's okay, Lana." Misty smiled. "I only wanted to help you before you went falling into the icy cold water." Lana nodded before bawling some more.

She was about to attempt climbing back up the hill before losing her footing, sending her, Tintri, and Lana screaming into the river...

---------

"I hope Misty and Tintri will be okay..." Ash mused.

Wilhomena, meanwhile, was equally devastated. "It's all my fault...I can't calm Lana no matter how hard I try..."

"Well, there are in fact ways to curb Lana's crying." Brock explained as he played a relaxed melody. "Having cared for both human kids and young Pokemon, they typically tend to cry for either A. attention, B. an activity or tangible item, or C. to escape a demand."

"Hm...I never thought that Lana might be wanting my attention before..." Wilhomena replied.

"So if Lana starts to cry, do your best to stay calm." Brock went on over his song. "Otherwise, both your anxieties will feed off each other and get worse. Validate Lana's feelings by telling her, 'It's okay to cry. I know you feel sad right now, but you still should, or shouldn't...' whatever it is you're trying to have her do."

"I see...I guess she can feel my panic when she cries." Wilhomena giggled, slightly embarrassed that Brock had gently called her out on a bad habit of hers.

"In fact, most Pokemon--or human kids for that matter--don't like to hear 'no', and so they make their displeasure known in any way they know how, which for Lana is crying." Ash agreed.

He looked out towards the river. "I can only hope Misty doesn't go insane from Lana crying..."

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf;

Episode 18: Riding out the Swarm

Misty climbed out of the water moments later, Lana bawling all the while. "Sh...it's okay..." she tried to assure the squalling Marill. "We're safe here..."

She looked around for a moment at the forest around her and the river they had just came from. "Although I'd love to know where 'here' is..."

[Me too--I bet Ash and Brock are worried sick!] Tintri agreed, wincing as Lana bawled in his ears.

Finally, Misty's combined anger, frustration, and fear overwhelmed her. "Look, I know you're scared and want your mama, but crying's not gonna help!" she snapped, causing Lana to cry even more.

She seriously considered banging her head against a tree in frustration. Arceus, make it stop! she silently pleaded.

Just then, she gasped as Lana wriggled free from her hands and dashed off into the forest, leaving her wrinkled pink bow on the grass. "Hey!"

[Follow that Marill!] Tintri announced as he led Misty and Ami into the forest.

"If there's one thing that'll make Lana easy to find, we'll hear her before we see her." Misty grumbled as she followed Tintri through the brush, over a log, and carefully climbing through some ivy.

[To be fair, you could've been a little bit nicer when you told Lana to calm down.] Ami explained. [She may have picked up on your angry tone of voice, and that scared her even more.]

Misty sighed, embarrassed that her own Pokemon had called her out on misbehavior. "You're right, Ami...I admit I was the one that scared her, and in the heat of the moment, I did something I'm gonna regret if she ends up dinner for a big Pokemon or Poke-napped. Not only would Wilhomena never forgive me, but the boys wouldn't either."

[Now that we have admitted our mistake, let's go make things right.] Ami suggested.

"Yes, lets." Misty agreed as she hurried off after her own Marill.

---------

After climbing through brush and climbing over logs, Tintri found Lana cowering in a corner. [Found her, Misty!] he called as Misty and Ami emerged from the brush.

"Go give Lana her ribbon back." Misty gave Ami Lana's ribbon and watched as her own Marill hurried over to the frightened Marill holed up in a log.

[Um, you dropped this earlier...] Ami tensely offered the ribbon to Lana.

[Y-you're not gonna hurt me?] Lana stammered.

[No--I would never hurt you.] Ami explained. [My master wouldn't hurt you either--she only wants to help you find your mama]

[B-but she yelled at me before!] Lana protested, tears forming in her eyes all the while.

[That was because she was frustrated at your constant crying, even though she wanted to help you.] Ami explained [And still wants to help you, even though anger got the best of her.]

[Really?] Lana gasped, her tears shining hopefully.

[Yeah--if you just trust my master and our Pikachu friend, we'll get you back to your mama.] Ami assured Lana.

[W-will you teach me how to be braver?] Lana asked as she tensely followed Ami.

[I don't claim to be an expert, but I'll do what I can.] Ami replied as she led Lana back to where Misty and Tintri were waiting. [I finally got Lana to calm down and talk to me.]

"That's good to hear." Misty smiled as she retied Lana's ribbon. "There we go--all pretty again!"

[T-thank you...] Lana blushed. [I'm just...very shy and sensitive.]

"I know...it's scary being lost." Misty replied. "But we have to work together to find your mama, okay? She's probably looking for you as much as we're looking for her."

A thud in the grass, followed by a distinct hum made her freeze in terror. "Beedrills!" she gasped as a swarm of the red eyed wasp Pokemon chased Tintri back to the clearing where she and the Marills were huddled.

[All I did was trip over a Beedrill hive half buried in the moss!] Tintri explained as the group fled into the forest.

"No time to explain, let's get somewhere safe first!" Misty instructed as the group weaved around trees and rocks in an attempt to lose the Beedrills.

She winced as Lana started crying again. Oh no, not again...and just when I thought Ami made progress, too...

---------

"Misty!" Brock called as he, Ash, and Wilhomena followed the riverbank, desperate to know where their friend and companion had gone.

"Tintri!" Ash called into the woods, before a familiar cry snapped him to attention. "There they are!" he called, pointing out Misty and the Pokemon fleeing the Beedrill swarm.

Brock whistled, getting Misty's attention. "Over here!"

Misty was relieved to hear her friend's voice. "Am I glad to see you guys--but let's get rid of these Beedrills before we talk." she suggested as she quickly delivered Lana to Wilhomena.

"Already on it." Brock replied as he retrieved some arrows and a familiar oak bow with silver and emeralds for trim. "Okay, Tintri--can you electrify these arrows for me?"

[Sure!] Tintri replied, sending some sparks into the silver arrowheads until they glowed yellow and sparked.

"Oh, I see what you want to do!" Wilhomena smiled as Brock carefully aimed one of the electrified arrows as the oncoming Beedrill swarm.

After a few tense seconds, he fired, making the Beedrills come to a screeching halt as the arrow landed on the ground in an explosion of electricity. They turned to flee as more electrified arrows went flying--each one being careful not to wound any of the Beedrills as they retreated to the forest.

"That's actually very clever--imbuing arrows with electricity." Wilhomena commented as the group made their way back up the hill towards the house.

"Well, if people can set them on fire, imbuing them with other elements is also doable in real life." Brock replied. "Besides, my goal was not to hurt the Beedrill swarm, but warn them away from us."

Wilhomena smiled as she led the way up the hill. "I can't thank you all enough for your bravery in saving my little Lana..."

"Aw, it was nothing." Ash replied.

"Even if she is prone to cry, Lana was actually very brave, being so far from home." Misty agreed as the group returned to the house, where some other Marills were waiting for Wilhomena's return.

As Lana ran to meet some of the other Marills, Wilhomena led another Marill to Ash's side. "As a reward for bringing Lana back safely, I want to give you a Marill of your own--this little girl's ready to be paired with a trainer and given a name."

"Thank you..." Ash replied as he took the Maril in his arms and contemplated a name for his gifted Pokemon. "I think in honor of our adventure here, I'll name her...River."

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 10-06-2016 at 06:52 PM.

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf;

Episode 19: A Burning Heart of Courage

...Come with me and we will see the wonders of the world!
    All of the glory, is in our story!
    Ash sang along to a blaring melody coming from his PokeNav headphones.

As we make our way to heaven, take it step by step
    And get the glory, upon the great stage!

We can go anywhere, so long as we're together
    I truly believe it with all of my heart...

"I hate to interrupt your performance, Mr. Teen Idol, but you may wanna watch your step." Brock cautioned, motioning to the narrow mountain pathway the group was on.

Ash shut off the Pokenav and stepped away from the edge of the path. "I'm glad to know you like that song, but you also need to focus on the road, especially in narrow places like this." Misty agreed.

"What's the name of that song, anyway?" Brock asked.

"'Glory in Our Story' by the idol group Triumph." Ash explained. "Most of their songs have an inspiring feel--even the sad songs have a note of hope in them."

[Aw, why'd you stop singing?] Tintri complained. [The echo around here made that song sound really cool!]

"Echo?" Ash asked, confused.

"We're in the mountains, haven't you stood at an echo point and called into a mountain or canyon before?" Misty asked.

Just then, the group heard a faint "Hello" echoing through the crags far off in the distance. "Also remember that the echoes allow a person to hear for miles." Brock explained before calling back "Hello!"

"There!" Ash called, pointing out a green haired girl in a red armor-like outfit climbing over the rocks in the path to reach the group.

Brock noticed the elegant dull brown bow and quiver full of red and gold fletched arrows on the girl's back and smiled. Love the arrow fletching--makes them look like little flames.

"Hello, travelers." the girl smiled. "Where might you be headed?"

"We were on our way to Azalea Town, but I don't know if I can go any further." Ash explained.

The girl smiled. "My name's Liza, and I take care of the wild Charizards here in the Charific Valley." She made a grand gesture to a large valley below the path the group was standing on, where seemingly hundreds of Charizards--as well as some Charmanders and Charmeleons--milled about. "Your route goes right through the valley, so if you want, I can take you down there directly so you don't have to wind around all these pathways."

"Sure!" Brock replied, more excited about Liza than seeing wild Charizards. Misty shot him a warning glance before he could gush about her, so he composed himself and thumbed through his guidebook to reach the chapter on the valley. "The Charific Valley--an ancient training and breeding ground where tribes of wild Charizards have lived for millennia. Trained Charizards often come here to learn from the wild ones so they can become stronger."

"Cool!" Ash gasped.

"It is distinguishable by its rock formation in the shape of a giant Charizard." Brock went on before looking up and seeing the formation in question in the distance.

"Can you take us down there?" Ash asked Liza. "Maybe my Charizard Blaze could learn a thing or two from his own kind!"

"Sure." Liza replied. "I'll give you a ride on my faithful Charizard, Charla." Liza offered before calling into the crags. "Here, Charla!"

The group watched in awe as a female Charizard towing a small coach-like vehicle landed before the group "This is Charla--she takes visitors to and from the valley." Liza explained before addressing Ash. "You said you had a Charizard of your own?"

"Yeah--his name's Blaze." Ash replied as he opened the badge case containing his Zephyr Badge for Liza to see. "I raised him from a Charmander, and he's won a lot of important battles for me."

[I see...I can smell his char on the badge you carry.] Charla purred as she sniffed the Zephyr Badge. [You can ride with your friends in the coach, or you can ride on your own Charizard.]

"I think I'll let you see my own Charizard..." Ash replied before heaving the Poke Ball containing Blaze skyward. "Come on out, Blaze!"

[You called?] Blaze sleepily yawned. [That Gym Battle had me beat!]

"How would you like to meet some wild Charizards?" Ash explained. "They live in that valley." he pointed out the sprawling Charific Valley below.

Blaze perked up at the mention of wild Charizards. [Sure! I'd love to learn some of the ancient ways of my wild ancestors direct from a tribe.]

He motioned for Ash to climb aboard. [Come on board, sport--even humans can learn from the ancient Charizard ways.]

"The lady Charizard is our guide, so you need to follow her down to the valley." Ash instructed.

Once Ash was aboard Blaze and Misty and Brock were safely secured in Charla's coach, both Charizards took off, Blaze following Charla into the rugged valley.

As Charla approached the valley, Misty noticed that the valley floor was dotted in millions of sparkling rocks. "Lady Cascade to Guide Fire, what are those rocks on the valley floor?" she asked through the communicator inside the coach.

"Lady Cascade, most of those rocks are special jewels called Z Crystals." Liza's voice crackled back. "They are washed from the ocean into the rivers in this area, and then deposited on the valley floor. Of course, normal jewels are washed up here too--so if you ever wondered where the jewels in Mega Rings came from, many of them came from right here."

She went on "The Charizards in the valley are wild, but Charla is a special one--she managed to bond with me. The wild Charizard tribes don't see humans that often, so we protect them from poachers and others that want to cause trouble."

"I see." Misty replied.

"But you guys don't look like the troublemaking type, so they should be fine around you." Liza assured her passengers. "The Charizard tribes have their own language and culture, so you may see that on display while you're here."

---------

"Here we are!" Liza smiled as the group landed at the valley entrance. "The Charizards train naturally without humans by battling each other, the intense competition making them some of the strongest in the world."

"You sure Blaze could handle that?" Misty asked Ash.

[Of COURSE I can handle it!] Blaze barked. [But first, allow me to meet the tribe, as it is not proper to battle immediately upon arrival in tribal lands.]

"Why not?" Ash wondered as he admired some Charizards sleeping, some sparring, some playing, and some females tending to some Charmanders.

[If you issue a challenge before you have formally introduced yourself to the chief and the tribe, the tribe will see that as a declaration of war.] Blaze explained.

Charla nodded in agreement. [So if you come in peace, you introduce yourself to the chief first, and declare your intention to train.]

It was not long before the group arrived at a large cave. [This is the chief's cave.] Charla went on. [Pyroc is a wise Charizard, but fair--if he believes you have potential, he will challenge you to battle himself.]

She then called into the cave in the Charizard language [Pyroc, creolna los het wa koraav hi]

The group gasped in awe as a huge Charizard emerged from the cave. [Aldoer, wanderer. What brings you here to the valley?]

[My name is Blaze, great one.] Blaze replied with a little bow. [I serve as the guardian to the krilkul that rescued me as a Charmander from a watery fate.] He gestured to Ash, who waved hello.

[Might I know your name, krilkul?] Pyroc asked.

"My name is Ash, Chief Pyroc." Ash replied as he bowed on one knee before the huge Charizard. "And these are my friends Misty and Brock."

"It is an honor to meet you." Misty replied.

Tá áthas orm bualadh leat. Brock replied in Gaelic, complete with a little bow.

A toothy smile formed on Pyroc's face. [You are a lovas, yes? There aren't many humans who know the Language of Song.]

"In Charizard tribes, lovas are singer-storytellers that pass down history and legend among the tribe." Liza explained. "They sing in what is known among the Charizards as the Language of Song, which Eire region Gaelic approximates.]

"So something like a minstrel?" Ash wondered.

Pyroc nodded [The lovas hold an important job in the tribe, krilkul, even greater than mine--and that is preserving our history and legends of heroes, so they are not forgotten.]

He the addressed Blaze and the others. [We welcome you all, as guests of our guardian Liza and the tribe.]

[So when do we start training?] Blaze asked.

[We will begin with the basics in the morning.] Pyroc assured Blaze. [Tonight, though, is a time of celebration to welcome you and your friends.]

[Understood, chief--it is rude to battle on the day of your arrival.] Blaze replied.

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf;

Interlude: Stories of Flames

The Charific Valley glowed brightly with the flames of Charizards and Charmeleons as the tribe welcomed Ash, Misty, and Brock to their ceremonial fire that evening. Even the Charmanders were darting about the valley floor, giggling as they wove through the three humans' feet.

As Liza arrived with meat and fruit for the tribe and their guests to enjoy, Pyroc stepped forward to address the tribe. [Hone, Keepers of the Valley! Tonight the Great Lord Arceus has seen fit to send visitors to our fire tonight!]

Cheers filled the air as a Charmeleon wearing a number of small rings on her claws and carrying a priest's staff approached the fire. [Great Arceus, we ask Your blessings on our fire this evening, and thank You for Your providence, shared with friends this evening.] she prayed before Liza put some meat over a cooking fire.

[While our dinner for the evening is being prepared, perhaps the human lovas wishes to share some of his stories?] Pyroc offered, noticing Brock tuning his guitar.

"You may want to hold off on the 'hero killing a dragon' stories, since you are telling for dragons, after all." Ash whispered as he toyed with a familiar silver tin whistle in his hands. Tintri was nearby, conversing with the Charmanders of the tribe.

Brock nodded, then started the first story that came to mind, aware all the while of Ash and Misty retrieving their own instruments as well. "Once upon a time, in a far away land, there was a small village named Kotan. It was a happy place--the people laughed and sang as they plowed their fields, and the nearby river echoed with the calls of the fishermen. The chief elder of Kotan was renowned as a fine archer and hunter, and was often spotted leading hunting parties into the nearby forest."

The Charizards listened as Brock went on over a somber melody. "One night, as the elder and his family were blessing the food they had gathered from that day's journey into the forest, some old blankets that hung in the window suddenly began to glow a strange blue color. The chief elder remembered an old story his father had told him when he was young--long ago, Kotan was plagued by bandits, and the people often went hungry because the bandits took all the food. One night, a mysterious sword appeared in the starry sky, and cut down all the bandits. The people believed the sword was a holy blade from heaven, but imagine their sorrow when the sword also killed and wounded many of their own as well. No matter how many times they tried to get the sword away from Kotan, it would always return to kill and wound more."

Fearful murmurs raced through the crowd of Pokemon at this. "Finally, the seven elders of the village cast a spell of sealing on the sword, wrapped it in blankets, and hung it in the window of the chief elder's house, where they hoped it would remain for all time." Brock explained. "As the chief elder looked on at the glowing blankets in awe, the house was lit up in a brilliant blue, but when the light faded, the chief elder noticed that the cursed sword had left its scabbard. Sure enough, the next morning, several villagers were badly wounded, and those that were spared pleaded with the elders to do something. As his fellow elders debated what to do about the cursed sword, the chief elder vowed he too would do whatever he could to protect his people from the cursed blade."

[So what did he do?] one of the warrior Charizards asked.

[Peace, Magnar--the lovas will tell us the answer.] the Charmeleon priestess assured the antsy Charizard.

"First he tried leaving it in the forest, imploring Celebi and Shaymin to watch over it." Brock explained, acknowledging the warrior Charizard and the Charmeleon priestess with a nod. "But when he arrived back home, it was hanging in the window again. Then he tried burying it deep within the ground, and still the sword returned. Next, he tried throwing in the river, in hopes it would arrive in the ocean, and Manaphy would seal its dark powers. But even that didn't work."

The audience of Charmanders, Charmeleons, and Charizards waited to see what, if anything, could stop the cursed blade. "Finally, the chief elder called together the other elders of the village, and they traveled to a local shrine, where they asked Arceus for some way--any way at all--to get rid of the cursed sword." Brock continued. "But even then, the cursed sword's reign of terror continued."

A hopeful grin formed on his face to assure the jittery tribe all was not lost. "The elders prayed for seven days and seven nights in all, and on the seventh night, Arceus appeared to the chief elder in a dream, commanding him to drop the sword from a rock into a deep pool many miles away, casting a spell of sealing as it sank."

He went on "The next morning, the chief elder told his fellow elders about his dream, and explained he was going to find the deep pool and the rock Arceus had told him about." Brock explains as he walks around the stage, as if he is the elder. "However, Arceus did not give the exact location of the deep pool, and it wasn't long before the chief elder got horribly lost."

Laughter filled the air at this. "Finally, just as the sun began to set, he discovered the deep pool nestled in a forest, with the rock overlooking it, just as Arceus had said." Brock explained. "He climbed the rock, and started the spell of sealing..."

With that, he sang Gatrandis favel, secret, edena...

Misty grinned, and silently urged Brock to continue the familiar melody, but Brock had other ideas. "But this was as far as he got when the scabbard started to glow--the cursed sword was awakening!"

Gasps went up at the turn of events. "The chief elder panicked at first, but then a Buizel appeared, saying he would awaken the Dragonair that watched over the pool, and she would help him destroy the sword." Brock explained, quieting the fearful chatter. "The Buizel dove beneath the water, and after a few tense moments, the waters began to churn, and the great Dragonair surfaced. The chief elder then heaved the glowing scabbard into the water, casting the spell of sealing as it fell..."

He then sang the complete tune. Gatrandis favel, secret, edena...
    Emusto ronzen fine el balaziis...
    Katoradis favel siicletu edena...
    Emusto koron zen fine, si...

When the last note died, Brock announced "The Dragonair of the pool fired a Hyper Beam at the glowing scabbard, destroying the sword for good."

The crowd of Pokemon exploded into cheers as Brock concluded "The chief elder returned to Kotan a hero the next morning, and the tale of his adventure is still told among the residents of Kotan today."

The cheers intensified as Brock took a bow. [Wow! You really are as skilled as you say!] one Charizard raved.

[Tell us another!] a Charmander pleaded.

Brock thought for a moment. "Long ago, a fisherman and his wife--we'll call her Maya--lived on a tiny island not far off the coast of Kanto. They fished for Seaking and Magikarps, and every week, they sailed to town and sold their fish. They were poor, but they had food, cresting waves, the bright blue sky and each other's company."

"Aw"s go up as the crowd of Pokemon pictured the heartwarming scene. "This would've been all well and good if Maya had not longed for a Miltank more than anything else." Brock cautioned. "Her husband laughed at her dream. Maya knew a Miltank could not survive on their tiny island, but still she longed for warm milk and fresh butter and cheese."

"Mm"s go up in agreement. "One day, as they were cleaning Magikarps on the shore, a tiny boat rowed toward them." Brock continued

"Mother, have you any fresh milk?" he called in character as a young boy.

"Oh," he sighed in a mimic of a young girl for Maya, "we have no such treats. We have only fish to offer."

As himself, he narrated "The young man accepted Maya's offer, and rowed to shore."

"What's the name of your little rock here?" he asked as the boy.

"Dew Island," he replied in a younger version of himself for the husband.

"The dominion of the Prince of the Sea," he gasped as the boy. "So you live in Manaphy's realm. You must have everything you need and more."

As himself, he narrates "Maya's husband admitted that he'd never heard of Manaphy before."

"Oh, surely you've heard of him," he giddily cries as the boy. "Manaphy possesses every imaginable treasure in his kingdom at the bottom of the sea. He is rich beyond compare, and anyone who treats him kindly soon becomes rich too. He's temperamental, though. Anyone who dares offend him is soon sorry."

As himself, he continues "Just then, Maya remembered the stories of Manaphy that she had learned as a little girl. The young men ate heartily and said farewell, and Maya started to daydream of Manaphy. By the afternoon, she had devised a plan."

"Ooh"s went up in anticipation of what Maya and her husband would do. "They rowed out with their net, and when they reached the deep sea, Maya started to sing songs she remembered from those bedtime stories of yore." Brock continued as he fished a pitch pipe from his pocket. "She sang Manaphy's praises, but she added a twist of her own. She promised she would give Manaphy a feather from both Ho'oh and Lugia if only he would give her a Miltank."

After blowing a B note to establish what key he would be performing in as Maya, Brock started singing as Maya in a nonsense language that sounded like Gaelic. But after a few verses of the song in B minor, the audience of Charizards eagerly joined in on the chorus:

Hi rě him bň hill ň bha rň hň
    Hi rě him bň hěrě ri ri ů
    Hi rě him bo hill ň bha rň hň...

When the last thud of Brock's foot signaled the end of the song, Brock continued as himself "That night, as Maya and her husband slept, a fierce storm blew up from the sea. By dawn all was calm, and when Maya looked outside, she could not believe her eyes. The most beautiful Miltank in the world stood upon her shore. From that moment on, whenever either Maya or her husband wished for something, it was theirs. Their little island overflowed with milk, and every net was always filled with fish. They grew rich, and so they built a large house to replace their tiny cottage. Before long they had even hired people to help them with their work."

He then intoned "But one Miltank was not enough for Maya. Her husband protested, but Maya was not satisfied, and so once more she sang, until 30 Miltanks lived on their island. But then Maya decided she wanted a bigger island."

"There's nothing to do but build a dam and pump out the sea," he joked as the husband.

"Though Maya knew her husband was kidding, she decided she would do just that." he explained as himself. "She loaded their boat with rocks and sailed to sea."

Ash retrieved his whistle from his pocket before Brock continued "A musician went along with her to entertain her, but he played his flute so beautifully that Manaphy and all the sea Pokemon rose to the surface to listen."

With that, Ash played "The Meowth's Call" for effect. "Maya, not seeing them, began to throw her stones into the water to build her dam." Brock explained when the applause for Ash's performance died down. "One stone grazed a Milotic's cheek and another hit Manaphy's head. Suddenly, Maya's boat was spinning and bouncing as waves rose up and foam sprayed over her. Manaphy rose out of the water."

"Why do you throw stones at me?" he demanded in a higher pitched version of Ash for Manaphy.

"Your majesty, forgive me. It was a mistake." he pleaded as Maya.

"And where is the gold and silver you promised?" he asked as Manaphy.

"Your majesty, every day they are scattered upon the waves of the sea." he explained as Manaphy

As himself, he continued "But Manaphy was beyond furious. He blew a wind so hard that Maya was tossed from her boat. She flew through the sky and landed with a thud on the island. When she looked up, she saw her tiny cottage and her husband wearing his ragged old jacket, sitting on the shore mending a net."

He concluded "It dawned on Maya that her tiny cottage and her loving husband were all she really needed in the world."

The crowd of Charizards roared with applause as the group bowed together...

To Be Continued...