Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar

What are your biggest inspirations?

What inspires you to write a story? Or gives you new ideas for your story?

For me, reading other people's stories is a big inspiration. Dreams are also a major one - I've gotten a lot of story ideas from cool dreams I've had. What inspires you?

Senior Moderator

Anime, other games, American animation, mythology/folklore, and even the real world, if it is something I can easily Pokemonize
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Usually it's a combination of music and old stories. Stories like Romeo and Juliet, or tales of gladiators fighting in the colosseum, or a woman disguising herself as a man to fight for her country, these and more always get me inspired to write something!
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Taking a walk, or listening to music give me lots of ideas for plot twists in stories I'm writing or RPs I'm running. Reading a really good comic or fanfiction, meanwhile, while it doesn't give me ideas makes me want to write or draw or do something.

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

It's funny, dreams are a major source of inspiration for me, also. And I've had all kinds of very vivid dreams. Movies and music are also a big one. If I watch a really great movie, it definitely inspires me to think along those lines and get the creativity juices flowing. Certain songs also have a rhythm or melody to them that might trigger a feeling or emotion that suddenly remind you of a moment in your story that the song feels like it could really fit into if it were a movie.

Reading other books helps in a different way, because I see the way authors do things with published books and it defines what is possible to do in a book. There are times when I think "eh, if I do this in my manuscript, chances are good it might be scrapped or it would have to be taken out" when it comes time to getting published, but if I see it happening in a book that's already published, it tells me it's perfectly fine (one example is mentioning brand name products in fiction).

6. This post has been liked by:

I haven't been writing lately nearly as much as I'd like to be, but I still get inspiration. Games, TV shows and other people's stories are definitely a huge factor for me. Also songs, pictures and even people in my life can inspire me to write. I think it's incredible when dreams can inspire stories as well; I have been inspired by my own before, and sometimes other people's!

Real life experiences for me can also really inspire parts of my stories. It can be extremely useful to draw from events that I've experienced and weave elements into a narrative. Even just observing the world around me on an ordinary day can give me ideas!