Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

13/09/2016: Going MacGyver on this b****
    One of the reasons I want an SLR, or just a more professional camera in general, is to learn how to make cool shots with varying shutter speed, such as this, or this. For that, having a tripod is near crucial, especially with the slower shutter speed. If you set the shutter speed to three seconds, it causes everything that remains still in those three seconds to be clear (like the car interior and person in the second shot), and everything not moving to be blurred, giving that cool effect. So if you have even the tiniest bit of sway or movement, it ruins the shot.

Tripods are expensive though. Except I have one.

*This was taken on my phone, which for some reason wanted to focus on the chairs instead of the tripod itself. One of the reasons I want a better camera. Manual focus.

I got this for free. About ten years ago, my dad wanted to get into photography (it didn't last long, but while it did he took some pretty cool photos), and needed a tripod. One day he was at the tip throwing some stuff out from work, and found this one, in practically brand new condition. There was nothing wrong with it. Granted it is probably a very cheap one, and isn't very durable (it's made of very light aluminum), but it still worked well as a tripod.

Anyway, Dad stopped using it and it wound up in my cupboard. However there is something wrong with it. Did you pick up on it? The screw is missing. Hence my mission today. To buy a new screw. I thought it'd be easy. I was so wrong.

I drove to Doncaster Shoppingtown, the closest shopping center with a Teds (Teds is a chain of camera stores here in Australia. I figured if I needed any camera accessory they would be the place to go). I parked as close as I could and made my way in with the tripod, asking the bloke at the counter if they sold the screws. He said they didn't and said something about a shop in the city that might, however he didn't seem to know what he was talking about. I ended up driving a bit further out to Greensborough Plaza to the Teds there, figuring that they might know what they were talking about a little more. I was right. Even though they didn't have it, they told me it was no special bolt, and that I could find one at Bunnings (Hardware store).

I made my way to bunnings, and managed to find what I needed. Even if it wasn't as good as those that come with a tripod, it'll do.

"But Jacob, I thought you just needed the bolt?"
    Well you thought wrong. See...

The purpose for the washer and nut is simple. On a standard tripod, it has a similar setup to that. Granted the bolt has a head that is easier to handle, and the nut is a lot wider. The reason for this is that if it doesn't have the nut, the bolt will go into the camera, and then they will both swivel in the tripod, which is a pain in the a**. Hence the nut. It basically pinches the tripod between itself and the camera, causing the camera to sit tight and not swivel. Then the washer is just to stop the nut from rubbing against the tripod and damaging it.

This is it with the camera I am currently using. It works pretty well, except the fact that the nut is not wide enough. An easy fix for that is just to carry a 1/4" spanner or two with me to tighten it properly. Doing it by hand means the camera still swivels slightly.

As for the camera, I have an update on my situation. Usually this week of the month, I'd have 3 lots of income coming in. My fortnightly pay from the fertilizer factory I work at, my monthly pay from church for the paid sound work I do, and my fortnightly income support (because I am a student and I only get 16 hours at the factory a fortnight, and four hours a month at the church). The income support is weird. My stepbrother has the same thing, and it is dependent on both our incomes and our parents (his mum and my dads) income. Basically because we are both on it, we get paid more (as it costs our parents more having us both living at home instead of just one). One of the conditions is that he and I report our income once a fortnight, so that if we earn heaps, they adjust how much they give us accordingly. However the last few weeks, mine has dropped to about 1/3 of what it should usually be, because he keeps forgetting to report his income, and they boot him off. Then I have $50 a fortnight taken from that to pay off a Public Transport fine from years ago (long story that I am sick of thinking about...). Basically it means that the last few fortnights I have gotten nothing, and only just figured it out.

Basically, my pay from church hadn't come through yet. I knew that the factory pay would come through Friday, so if the church pay came through as well, I could afford to get the camera I want on Friday. However today my stepbrother went and got the income support sorted, so they're paying me properly again, and back-paying me for what I missed out on. My church pay and that come through tomorrow, so I will have more than enough to get the camera I want! By this time tomorrow, I will have a DSLR, with enough money left over to cover my bills for the month, and cover costs until next payday! I am so stoked. Part of me even wants to ditch uni tomorrow morning and go straight to the shops to buy it. Granted, I won't because I missed a bit of uni because of placement, but hell, I will be hanging for 11am when my class finishes tomorrow!

Senior Moderator

14/09/2016: A New Toy...
    This morning I was supposed to be at uni. However I woke up at 7, after getting to sleep at about 3, and heard the rain hitting the roof. I was going to get soaked walking from my bedroom in the garage to my house, then from my house to my car parked around the corner. I said stuff it and went back to sleep, waking up at 9:30am. Then I got ready as soon as I could and made my way to Greensborough Plaza. It was happening. I bought it... My own camera.

I grabbed breakfast before making my way to my nannas house, and unboxed it. It is a thing of beauty. I also tested it out with a couple of shots there.

Once I had enough of chasing the Phoebe and tormenting Spud (Spud is a wuss and hates the camera) I made my way home and continued taking a couple more test shots.

I tried taking a photo of her outside, but she was too hyperactive. The only way she'd sit still was to sit behind a glass door. Then I went to the loungeroom to try and fiddle with the tripod. She couldn't see me so she moved.

*Last picture of the pets. I promise.

After I charged the battery fully, I decided that it was nice weather so attempted to find company to come to Blue Lake to take some photos. I couldn't find anyone so I went alone. Wow, this camera is incredible...

Spoiler:

With the camera I was using the other day, it took ten or so shots to get it clear. This time it took one.

You see the very top? That is where we camp.

I enjoyed playing with the focus of this one, and getting the right depth of field.

Not sure what it is about this one that I like. The composition and the lighting I think.

So one night we were bored, and came to this spot to blow stuff up. Anything flammable. Deodorant, fly spray, butane, methylated spirits. We even made a Molotov Cocktail...

This was the last photo I took whilst walking around Blue Lake, as that lovely weather disappeared and the heavens opened up. I ended up stuffing my camera into my jumper and running the rest of the way back to the car (I was about 3/4 of the way through the track). Then I got to the car and took a few more photos, that I actually quite like.

After this, I left. However I was halfway back to the road, when I realized something. I put my tripod down to take a photo in the park right before it started raining... Then left it there. I ended up turning around and parking the car as close to there as I could and sprinting into the park to find it. Luckily the park was empty, so nobody grabbed it.

I got home, and decided that I wasn't done yet, and took a few more pictures. This time, of something I am really eager to get good at shooting. First was mine...

Then my brothers (which was cleaner so it looked a little nicer...)

After that, I decided to stop seeing as my internet is slow as balls, and this would take ages to upload already (I was right. It took nearly two hours...)

So keen to put this camera to the test. If the meeting tomorrow night doesn't go ridiculously late, I might give my car a wash on the way home and take some photos of it when it's clean. Otherwise, Friday! Once I catch up on the uni work I missed...

Senior Moderator

15/09/2016: The Beast
    One of the reasons I was wanting to get a better camera was to take better photos of my car (among other things, but the car especially). I was working today, and had guitar lessons and church meetings until 9:30. Then I finally got my car washed and went to an empty car park to take some photos. Whilst I am still somewhat happy with the photos, I am slightly disappointed, in that they looked so much better on the camera than they came up on the computer. Either way they are still the best photos I have taken of my car, and I am keen to try with others.
    Spoiler:

Oh man, Blue Lake looks so pretty! Have you ever swam there? It looks beautiful. I love the shot with the cliff face. It's really cool. <: TAKE ME THERE WHEN IT'S SUMMER. And omg of course you took photos of your car. Tbh I'd do that too if I had a good camera. XD Also I love the shots of the pets! Don't shy away from them!

Your photos look great. c: The scrapbook was a great idea!

Senior Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    Oh man, Blue Lake looks so pretty! Have you ever swam there? It looks beautiful. I love the shot with the cliff face. It's really cool. <: TAKE ME THERE WHEN IT'S SUMMER. And omg of course you took photos of your car. Tbh I'd do that too if I had a good camera. XD Also I love the shots of the pets! Don't shy away from them!

Your photos look great. c: The scrapbook was a great idea!

Why wait til it's summer haha there'll be nice days coming up.

Damn straight you would! Have you got the new car yet?

Thanks! Yeah I figure it is better to post them here than spam Facebook haha

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I like these new photographs you took! And it seems like you got some nice equipment to go out there and take a lot of great photographs!

The new pictures of Blue Lake are great, but it bothers me that people would slather graffiti all over the trees and signs. Come on, people, really?

I really like this one and this one. It's hard to explain why, but they feel artistic and mysterious.

Senior Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    I like these new photographs you took! And it seems like you got some nice equipment to go out there and take a lot of great photographs!

The new pictures of Blue Lake are great, but it bothers me that people would slather graffiti all over the trees and signs. Come on, people, really?

I really like this one and this one. It's hard to explain why, but they feel artistic and mysterious.
    I know what you mean. Luckily, as s***ty as the graffiti is, there isn't heaps of it. That is the only tree graffitied. The signs are a bit. But it could be much worse. I can just imagine walking along the track and seeing graffiti on the cliff faces.

Haha the mystery behind them is I still wanted to take photos but it was wet xD

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Ooh nice new camera! That's awesome that you had a tripod lying around. I really like the shots you took of stuff in your car! Also your car looks nice in those shots (that carpark sure looks familiar haha). Because it's wet and dark, the light reflecting off everything looks pretty cool! :)

I really like the colours in this one. Yellow bushes and blue sky!

Have you tried doing any of those shutter photos yet?
    GCEA

Senior Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    Ooh nice new camera! That's awesome that you had a tripod lying around. I really like the shots you took of stuff in your car! Also your car looks nice in those shots (that carpark sure looks familiar haha). Because it's wet and dark, the light reflecting off everything looks pretty cool! :)

I really like the colours in this one. Yellow bushes and blue sky!

Have you tried doing any of those shutter photos yet?
    Haha target Carpark Greensborough ;)

Yeah Blue Lake always provides the goods.

Haha about half an hour ago. Walking around Diamond Creek at the moment taking photos. Was really close to the train tracks and there was a train coming soon so attempted to do some quick shutter shots. They came out pretty crappy though haha

Quote Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
    Why wait til it's summer haha there'll be nice days coming up.

Damn straight you would! Have you got the new car yet?

Thanks! Yeah I figure it is better to post them here than spam Facebook haha
    So I can go swimming! Spring is pathetic in Australia, haha.

Yep. xD Yeah I do! It's great. A lot smoother than the good ol' Fairmont. XD

No worries. Hahah true. On Facebook nobody tends to care much. xD