Thread: How To Make A Competitive Team

Let's Fight Crimes With Mangoes and Limes Wookie Mistake's Avatar

Lightbulb How To Make A Competitive Team

Competitive Team Making

So you want to get into competitive battling but don't know where to start? Well lucky you, I've decided to use what little knowledge I have to try and help you out.

I'm going to keep this as bare bones as possible, mostly because I'd like all of you who are interested to ask questions, and those of you with knowledge and experience to answer questions and add to to the knowledge base.

Detailed descriptions can be found by clicking on the titles (if available)

The Hardest Part

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

This holds true here as well. The best way to figure this out is to think about what your goal is. Do you want to be a legend in the metagame, that person that everyone want to try so hard to beat? Do you want to have fun and play with pokemon you like or love, while playing someone other than the AI? Or do you want to just troll your friends and that annoying neighbor kid by beating those in-game teams with a paraflinch dunsparce.

It all depends on how deep into the competitive battling scene you want to get into. Are you picking the members of your team based on the need to win, just to have a great time within the scope of competitive battling or a combination of both.

To be honest the competitive game is based on Smogon tiers, but don't let that bother you! With the exception of Ubers, and most Not Fully Evolved, just about any pokemon can be the star of a team. All it needs is great support, and the patience to fail, retool, and retry.

Some people just jump straight into choosing the members of their team. I mean all you need is six competitively viable pokemon and Bob's your uncle, you're the real life Ash Ketchum right? Not necessarily. While some people can do that, a little structure and careful planning go a long way to making a successful team.

Before you decide what kind of pokemon you want to use, it might help if you decide what type of team you want to use.

Kind of like making a football team, do you want to be known for your stifling defense? Your swarming Offense? Or do you prefer a balanced approach. These are just a few options and more general than specific.

You don't have to if you don't want to, but I suggest using as close to a balanced team as possible in the beginning. It helps cut down on mistakes but helps you learn how to predict your opponents next move, as well as learning about the different types of pokemon, and what they're good at.

I like to make a balanced team by using

Three Offensive pokemon: A Physical Sweeper, A Special Sweeper and Mixed Sweeper or Wall Breaker

Two Defensive pokemon: A Physical Wall, and A Special Wall

And a Supporter: a wall that can either soften up the opponents pokemon with statuses and/or entry hazards or a pokemon that can protect your team by removing statuses or entry hazards

*Below Will Be a more detailed Team build*

Sorry, No Pot of Gold at the End of This

And that's basically the gist of it, now don't be surprised if your first pokemon team doesn't work too well, you're more than likely going to have to tinker with it for a little, It may be as simple as using a different move, but you may also have to replace a pokemon or two to get the desired effect. Don't forget there are a ton of resources out there in the interwebs, don't be afraid to use them or ask questions here and someone can help point the way. Regardless, you made a competitive pokemon team, how competitive depends on how much effort you're willing to put forth.

Good Luck Everyone and feel free to ask any questions.

No question is a stupid question, as long as it's asked for the sake of learning
    Last edited by Wookie Mistake; 07-25-2013 at 12:04 AM.

A Roselia By Any Other Name

A Roselia By Any Other Name

Ease of Use: *= easy; *****=extremely difficult

Balanced

Just like it sounds, a team balanced between offense and defense, fast hard hitting offensive types with resistant defensive types and maybe a statuser or two added in

Not that difficult to use, but usually at the most only half of your team is offensive, causing you to protect them as much as possible. If you mispredict your opponents next move you could lose a sweeper you may need later on.

Offensive

Trying to take the initiative and forcing the opponent to stay one or more pokemon behind. Usually has a pokemon that can either absorb harmful statuses, or getting rid of Entry Hazards to protect the offensive pokemon on the team or inflicting harmful statuses and using entry hazards, to try an guarantee an One Hit Knock Out. The team may have a wall or tank or maybe a lead pokemon to set up hazards on the onset but it's primary purpose is to do as much damage in the shortest amount of turns possible.

The usage is basically the same as a balanced team, but you have more offensive options, and usually you try to inflict statuses and lay Hazards at the earliest convenience helping to ease the prediction a bit.

Hyper-Offensive

Again pretty self explanatory. You just want to wreck the opposition, going for as fast as a win as possible, relies almost exclusively on Power and Speed. Hitting hard and fast, and trying to cover as many types as possible to prevent being walled. It usually has no walls, being replaced by a few wall breakers to get rid of the opponents walls faster.

It's probably the easiest team to use. Mostly because this is probably how you played the game anyways. You just attack your opponents weakness and switch when you know an attack won't be effective to a better option. It's not totally mindless however, you still have to be able to predict your opponents switches, especially in the case of using choice items. You don't want to be locked in to an ineffective move and giving your opponent the advantage by switching. Still for the most part it's just attack attack attack.

Bulky Offensive

The same concept as an offensive team, but the pokemon being used sacrifice speed for survivability. The majority of the team will have good defenses in addition to the offense. They can also be complemented with bulky statusers or Entry Hazard layers.

The only reason I think this merits one star is because your bulk will ease prediction quite a bit. Switching into an attack isn't as daunting if you're pokemon can take more than two hits, or has a recovery move. Still it's not all cupcakes and rainbows. Usually you're going to move second so you have to make sure you will survive the incoming hit, also switching into a status could very well cripple the pokemon you need to beat the other team.

Stall

A team that will completely annoy your opponent. A stall team is basically a team of walls with a few offensive moves. You can add an offensive pokemon or two, but they tend to be tanks more than sweepers. The primary means of doing damage is by statuses and entry hazards, strategies like Toxi-shuffling, Toxi-trapping and Para-flinch are the main ways to go, These teams can be incredibly frustrating to go up against, as you just sit there and try to out damage the pokemon's healing capabilities all the while taking residual damage.

I'm sure a lot of people may disagree with me, saying that a stall team is easy to use. I mean all you have to do is absorb the hits and watch as your opponents HP go down from a burn or a poison status. Occasionally attacking to keep your opponent honest. But the difficulty lies in the hard hitting nature of most pokemon builds now. The Moxie ability has gone a long way to crippling most physical walls due to the fact that every pokemon KO leads to a one stage boost in the attack stat. There are also other ways to avoid statuses, things like substitute, and the ability magic guard. A fast taunter will also make an extreme stall strategy moot, forcing you to switch to something that may be more susceptible to KO. So even though prediction is practically non existent, you're still limited in your offensive effectiveness. Even worse is a battle between two stall teams, I've done it, it's fun in it's own kind of way, but I remember when we finally finished the battle, everyone else in the thread had gone to sleep, it took us something like 2 hours to finish the battle, and a lot of it was just switching LOL.

Weather
    (rain, sun, snow, sandstorm, *trick room*)
    These teams started to pop up more and more as permanent weather inducers were made available for OU in Generation V. The team usually consists of one weather inducer (if permanent weather) or possibly two (if using rain dance or sunny day). It's possible to use any of the previous types of teams to complement the weather inducer so long as they aren't harmed by the type of weather you choose. For example you don't want to use a Fire-type generally in a Rain team, because fire type moves are reduced in effectiveness, and water type moves hit harder. You also want to make sure that if you're running a sandstorm team that your pokemon can survive the damage inflicted by sandstorm, at least until the pokemon can finish what it set out to do.

I included trick room in here because it has a lot of the same attributes as weather. There is no permanent Trick Roomer so a pokemon or two will have to sacrifice a move for Trick Room. But it can be devastatingly effective, especially on a hyper O team. Since Trick Room makes the slowest pokemon move first, a hyper-O team gets nerfed by going last. The only exception to this is priority moves like bullet punch, they will go first regardless.

While your not limited to one type, you're still limited to the types of moves you can use. And the pokemon on your team can be fairly predictable. And if you don't have a permanent weather inducer, you're sacrificing at least one turn to set up every five turns (barring a stone that increases the amount of turns for weather) Another problem you may face using a weather team is running into another weather team. Nothing can be more frustrating than having a team built for the rain and a pocket full of sunshine comes along to ruin your day.

Mono/Dual Type

Possibly one of the hardest teams to use. Easy to build, but hard to win with. Since in the Metagame, coverage is a players best friend, you sacrifice a lot of coverage for the sake of using pokemon all of the same typing. The reason it is possible to win with these teams is more often than not is the pokemon's secondary typing. These teams are primarily seen in Competitive Gym Leagues and Elite 4s, but you can run into them in general battles from time to time.

Mono Type:****
    Mono Type teams can be insanely hard to use, especially if you use a type that has a multitude of common weaknesses. You could be a victim of a one pokemon sweep if you run into a pokemon that has the speed and power to take advantage of a weakness. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because you will run into a team that is ill prepared for a monotype team once in a while, or if you're a good battler it's possible to minimize weaknesses by leaning on secondary typing.

A Dual Type team isn't a mono type team with secondary typing. It's a team consisting of two types, usually complementary. If you're using ground types as half of your team, then using electric types to counter the ground types weaknesses would be a good idea for the other half. Not as difficult to win with as Mono Teams, but still a hard path to take if this is your first competitive team.

When being used for gyms and leagues, a lot of gym leaders tend to use restrictions to help minimize the threats, but I'm not a big fan of this since if your the gym leader of a certain type you should be able to face a trainer's team, and if you can't, then just give them their badge and take it out on the next challenger.

Dual Type:***
    Again easier than mono type, but still not a cake walk. (why is a cake walk easy anyways? what if you drop the cake?) You have one more type to take advantage of (two with secondary typing) but you're still fairly limited with your movepool and ability to take out a well balanced team.

Specially Themed

These teams are made up of pokemon, who follow a theme not normally seen in pokemon. Like a team based on Godzilla characters, or disney characters or anything your creative mind can dream. IT IS NOT however a team where you just give them names from the characters in The Simpsons and just pick your favorite pokemon. They should at least resemble the theme you're trying to make.

These can also be used for gyms and leagues, instead of following a strict typing, you follow a theme. It gives gyms and leagues a bit of variety.

Varying degrees of difficulty
    This can be an extremely easy team to use, if you can find a well balanced team that can be used with a theme. But sometimes, you're stuck digging into lower tiers to find the pokemon that you need to fit that theme. If you're starting to look through NFE you might be better off using a different theme.
    Last edited by Wookie Mistake; 07-25-2013 at 12:14 AM.

The P Team

The P Team

(a breakdown on my thought process during a team build)

Now we get to the fun part! Actually choosing who you will take on your journey as you become the greatest pokemon battler of all time...Well maybe not, but you get to at least start picking your pokemon now. I'll try to keep this as short as possible, by foregoing the EV's, natures, IV's and most abilities, but...no promises

Remember all those words I typed out before this? This is where they hopefully start to come together. I'll go through an example process and I'll try to explain my logic as I build a balanced team.

Remember above all Pokemon should be fun, this extends to the metagame as well, regardless of what your definition of fun is, that should be the ultimate objective. I know that there better pokemon suited for the team I'm making, but I think using pokemon that I like is more important than making the ultimate team.

For a balanced team I like to go three offensive, two defensive, and one supporter, usually defensive also. So which one should we start with? I think it's easier to pick an offensive pokemon first, they're much easier to choose, and picking an offensive pokemon doesn't need as much decision making as picking a defensive pokemon generally.

I choose You! (The First Pokemon)

So lets go with a common offensive pokemon and make him the physical attacker: Salamence I know that Salamence is often used as a mixed sweeper but for the purposes of this walkthrough we're going with the physical one.

Salamence is a pretty easy choice because of it's great coverage, speed, power and two great abilities, as well as it's limited weaknesses and a lot of common resistances. Now we need a moveset. The first attacking move you decide is almost always an attack that is of the same typing that the pokemon is. Why? Because you get STAB, STAB gives you a 50% increase in the moves attack power, making it a devastating tool of destruction to anything that doesn't resist the move. We'll give this Salamence Outrage, because it has a huge attack and gets that (STAB) as well as being only resisted by steel (we're going to ignore Faerie right now for the sake of convenience) Dragon Claw is another viable, if less powerful option if you don't want to get locked in and become confused.

Seeing as how steel resists its primary move we need something that can hit steel types hard, and since we're keeping Salamence purely physical, Earthquake is the best viable option. It hit's a few things for super effective, and hits most things hard as long as it's not a flying type or has the levitate ability. Though Fire fang can be used in it's stead, it's less powerful, but it hits those steel types with a secondary typing that may resist ground as well as those with levitate/balloons.

Next we want to make sure that Salamence hits everything as hard as possible, and try to guarantee that it will go first so we teach that dragon how to Dougie Dragon Dance. It's a great complimentary move (Actually it's almost a primary move for a non-choiced Salamence) Dragon Dance will boost Salamence's Attack stat AND speed stat by one stage. You may be thinking that using a dragon dance is a waste of a turn because your opponent will just attack you as you attempt to set up. While this can happen, the odds are that the pokemon you switched Salamence in to face is in danger of getting KO'd and will force your opponent to switch. This will allow you to Dragon Dance into relative safety. and possibly lead to a sweep of your opponents pokemon.

Now that last move, always the hardest move to choose, simply because it's based on what you think is the most important of the remaining options. Do you need to be able to recover? Do you want more coverage? Or just a redundant option to hit the few pokemon that aren't scared of your other attacking moves. The best way to do it is just trial and error. Are you losing salamence because you're still locked into outrage? Dragon Claw is a good option for the last move (or to replace Outrage if you just don't like it) Running into steel types that avoid or are neutral to Earthquake? Fire Fang is a decent option on the physical spectrum and even hits ice types that can OHKO (One-Hit Knockout) Salamence since it's 4x weak to Ice moves. Maybe you want to hit more things with super effective efficiency, if that's the case Aqua Tail is a viable option for you. Lets go with Aqua Tail for the sake of coverage here.

Now we get to the held item, there are a lot of options here as well. If you decide to skip on using dragon dance and instead choose to use four attacking moves than a Choice band or Choice scarf might work. Choice Band will boost your physical attacking power making Salamence even scarier, a Choice Scarf will boost Salamence's speed making it a good revenge pokemon taking out pokemon that have just taken out one of yours. Since we are using Dragon Dance though, we'll have to use something else, since choice items mean that you're locked into one move until you switch. Which makes Dragon Dance useless. What's left? The two best options in my opinion are leftovers or life orb. leftovers allows you to recover health after every turn, giving salamence extended survivability, while life orb boosts your attacks (not as much as CB but it doesn't lock you in on one move) at the cost of some HP. Again it's a matter of what you find Salamence needs, though one of the rules of competitive battling can be limiting the amount of redundant items you can use and we want to save those for our walls. So let's go with Life Orb.

And now you have your first competitive pokemon!

And You...And You...And You...And You...And You

I'll try to keep the rest of this less technical since I can already see this being quite long

It's a Two-Top Offense!

To complement Salamence's physicalness we need an attacker on the Special side of the spectrum...and lets go with Volcarona. Why? Because it's a Moth that's hot like fiyah!! Well...that's only part of the reason but really it can hit hard on the special side of the spectrum and the two combined have great chemistry, Volcarona resists Salamences biggest weaknesses, and Salamence resists Volcarona's weaknesses, the only thing they have to worry about is a rock type attack as they're both weak to it, Volcarona doubly so. Also Volcarona can hit those pesky steel types that can wall Salamence.

For it's moveset were going to go with Fiery Dance, it's not as powerful as Fire Blast, Flamethrower or Heatwave but it does have the added benefit of boosting your special attack, the other attacks are all viable options if you feel that boosting your SP. Atk isn't necessary, especially given the next two moves. It's other stab move is going to be Bug Buzz, if you want to go for the boosts then silver wind is an option but the 30 more points of attacking power in Bug Buzz outweighs the possibility of getting boosts from Silver Wind. Plus you have the move Quiver Dance to get the boosts that you need. Quiver Dance is like Dragon Dance on the special side, but it also boosts Special Defense, eventually making Volcarona a specially bulky pokemon. The last move is a little easier to choose than for Salamence. Since Volcarona has less things to switch into, and may be getting hit while setting up, Giga Drain is the best option, to recover HP and it gives a bit better coverage.

I Put the Wall in Defense...

For a balanced team, the Defenders are just as important as the Offenders...er Offensers...yeah..nope. Anyways just like your two-top offense you want to cover both ends of the spectrum, a physical wall and a special wall. The best walls can have very high defense on the side you want covered, a decently high HP, and a reliable recovery move (I.E. Roost, Softboiled, Slack Off Etc.)

They also usually have a way to soften up the opponent, either by statuses like burn paralyze and poison or Entry Hazards, like spikes, toxic spikes and stealth rocks. They can also support the rest of your team by getting rid of statuses or entry hazards.

Again try playing around a little based on what you encounter, if you see a lot of stealth rocks or spikes, make sure you have a rapid spinner, your physical attacker keeps getting burned or paralyzed? Use a wall that doesn't worry about either one of those.

Here we'll go with a classic duo, the pokemon equivalent of those pesky celebrities who merge their names: Skarmbliss A.K.A. Skarmory And Blissey. Both have great stats on their respective defensive sides, reliable healing moves and both have secondary uses, Skarmory can set up entry hazards while Blissey can hit your opponent with statuses or remove statuses from your team. I'm going to forego the movesets to shorten this up a bit, the movesets are pretty standard here, and smogon will have the best ones listed.

Stop Switching!!!

Now we're getting to the more difficult part of building your team. There's two spots left, what to do, what to do. Thinking about it, if your opponent is running a balanced team as well, they can just keep switching back and forth between walls as you try to take the upper hand. Good prediction of the switch could make it easier for you to take out one of the walls, but a lot of turns can be taken in between, which can make for a tediously long battle. So what do you do? Choose a pokemon that can hit both of them. If you remember from waaay back when I mentioned I like to use three offensive pokemon, well this is that third one. It totally ruins my whole two-top thing but whatever.

The Mixed sweeper is the fifth pokemon to be chosen for your team, so called because it can take out pokemon on both sides of the spectrum at the cost of a little extra oomph. In Generation 4 one of my favorite Mixed sweepers was Infernape, It could hit Skarmory hard with a special Fire Blast, and Blissey Hard with a physical Close Combat. But we don't have enough Gen 5 pokemon so let's pick one of those.

It's not the best Mixed sweeper, and in fact it's not usually considered a mixed sweeper at all mostly because a mixed sweeper should be able to hit walls hard without much if any setting up, but I like to use it because it lives it's life in a blob of jelly or whatever. We're going to go with Reuniclus here.

Why reuniclus you may ask? It's physical attack stat is horrible, and it's not fast at all. While that may be true, it does have a quite a few things to take advantage of.

~The ability to use calm mind to boost it's Special Attack and Special Defense.

~The move Psyshock. The damage is calculated using the attackers Special Attack and the physical defense of the pokemon being attacked. Ideal for a pokemon who has a weak physical defensive stat like Blissey.

And It's ability makes it ideally suited for absorbing statuses. Slap on a Toxic Orb or Flame Orb and It can take any status an opponent wants to throw at it barring confusion (I'm not sure if sleep counts as well, but I'm pretty sure it does).

The icing on the cake is that it's actually pretty bulky, especially with a few calm minds, so it can take a few hits, and has a reliable recovery move, so it can be a secondary wall as well. The best of both worlds really so Reuniclus it is.

This isn't Dodgeball, This...Is...Sparta!

While this is the last pokemon that I'm picking, it's by no means the least important. This last pokemon is used to shore up the rest of your weaknesses, or to cover anything that you haven't covered already. It can also be used to make sure that your opponents switches are even less enjoyable or a lead pokemon to make sure you start on the right foot. Regardless of what you decide you need, this last pokemon makes sure that all your pokemon have as much synergy as possible

It's like that fourth move syndrome, there's so many option that the only way to make sure the last pokemon fits is by trial and error. To make a truly balanced team we'll go with another wall. Jellicent! I choose you! Why? because it complements a lot of the other members of the team.

It may seem redundant to use Jellicent, Blissey, and Reuniclus, all of which are better on the specially defensive side, but I chose Jellicent because it makes a good defensive pivot for your team. It's a good switch in for Volcarona, with it's water absorb ability allowing it to heal every time a water type move is used. It's a good switch in for Blissey, who hates fighting type moves and jellicent doesn't get hit by fighting type moves. It can also be a good switch in for Skarmory if you predict a fire move as it resists fire type attacks that will hurt skarmory, but be careful about electric type attacks, a weakness they both share. It will also take the Ice type hits that Salamence is so scared of. It's what I like to call a Defensive Pivot, It's a great transition pokemon for switching, helping to make sure that you get into an advantageous position when you switch the next pokemon in. The moveset is really dependant on what you need covered, but I'd recommend a reliable stab move, a status inflicting move, and Recovery.

If you've read this entire thing, Congratulations! You deserve a cookie! I know it's a lot of information but it's also the reason that Competitive Battling can be so much fun. It's a very cerebral type of competition, a lot of thought is involved before and during a competitive battle.
    Last edited by Wookie Mistake; 07-25-2013 at 04:20 PM.

The Science Of Competitive Battling

The Science Of Competitive Battling

I know what you're thinking, you've got your competitive team, why is this idiot still rambling on. It's like all those tutorials you have to go through at the beginning of your Pokemon journey. You still have to sit there and watch someone explain the mechanics of catching a pokemon, it's not just throwing a pokeball at a pokemon, if you haven't sufficiently weakened the pokemon I'd like to think it would just get angry and you'd end up running all the way back home.

What follows are the not so secret techniques that give competitive battlers the edge over in-game battlers.

The Birth of a Legend

It's all in the Breeding, it's the key to making a truly powerful pokemon for competitive battling, not only can you get moves that you wouldn't normally be able to get through breeding, but there are these things called Individual Values, forever to be known as IV's.

What are Individual Values? They're hidden stat numbers that a pokemon has from birth letting you know the potential of that pokemon. They range anywhere from 0 (the worst) to 31 (the best). You don't see these numbers but they very well could mean the difference between a win or a loss.

I'm not going to go too in-depth in how this all works, but IV's can be inherited from the parents, which is why breeding is such a necessary part. At the very least you want to have 31s in the stats that are important for the role of the pokemon you're going to use. If you're going make a physical attacker you want as close to 31 in it's Physical attack stat and it's Speed stat. If you're making a Special Wall you want 31's in HP and Special Defense.

If your curious about how big of a difference it makes take a look at the physical attack stats for Salamence (I've taken this from serebii.net, which you can find at the bottom of each pokemon's pokedex page)

With a Positive nature (we'll get to that later) the range of Salamence's attack stat look like this: 302 - 405

That's a 103 point difference on how much damage Salamence can do, the number on the left is with a 0 IV for physical attack and no EV's invested, while the number on the right is the damage it can do with a 31 IV and the max amount of EV's invested. That's why it's important to breed for high IV's.

The Nature Of The Beast

I'm sure you've noticed that in the details of your pokemon, you've seen a nature, like Adamant, Calm, Timid, Etc. Well if you didn't know this isn't just the temperament of your pokemon, there's some more hidden maths here as well.

Since most pokemon have a specific purpose in competitive battling, it's important to make sure that the nature of your pokemon helps out the role that you choose. The way natures work is that they boost one stat by 10% and reduces another stat by 10%, There are also 4 natures that don't affect any stats, but for competitive purposes they are relatively useless.

10% may not seem like a huge deal, but again it could mean the difference between victory or defeat. Lets take another look at Salamence's physical attack stat, this time we'll look at how natures affect the maximum potential of Salamence

With a Positive Nature(+10%) the maximum is 405, with a Neutral nature(0) it's 369, and with a Negative Nature(-10%) it's 332, that difference is almost as big as the gap for IV's. That's why that 10% is pretty important, even with a neutral nature it's a 36 point difference.

The good news is that it's easier to breed for natures than it is for IV's, the nature will be passed down by the mother if she is holding an everstone while breeding, this will increase the odds to a 50% chance that the nature gets passed down.

Maths!?!? I hate Maths

The last but important part of all this scientific gobbledegook is the Effort Values, here now forever known as EV's.

Effort Values are points a pokemon earns through the effort of battling. Each pokemon gives a certain amount of Effort Values every time you defeat one. Serebii.net has the amount of points and in what stat the points are given for every pokemon in the pokedex.

But before you go on a genocidal rampage, and take out the Bibarel epidemic (ahh the good old days of D/P/Pt) you should be aware of the fact that there are caps to how many EV's your pokemon can earn. The Maximum number a pokemon can earn overall is 510.

Wait! Wait! you still cant just go on and kill 255 Bibarel to max out your attack stat. Each stat can have a maximum of 255 EV's given. So you can only kill so many Bibarel before you become labeled a Pokecidal maniac.

To make yours mine and everyone else life more difficult, you don't get an additional 255 points added to your stat of choice. Nooooo, you have to do even more maths, because to boost a stat by one point it takes 4 EV's. So if you do your math, 255 isn't divisible by 4, but 252 is. So that's the goal you want to reach.

You still have 258 EV's to spread out, so you give another 252 to another stat that you think is necessary, speed in the case of the attacker, HP or one of the defenses in the case of a wall.

And now your stuck with with 6 EV points left to spread out, the common use is to use 4 on HP or one of the defenses if you've capped out HP already.

And those last 2? Absolutely useless. If your blood lust hasn't been sated, go ahead and take out one more Bibarel.

Do You Even Lift?!?!

It may seem like that's a lot of work to get the most out of those EV's, but with all the technical advancements made in the pokemon world the work has been made easier.

It started with the Macho Brace in Generation III, the Macho Brace doubles the amount of Ev's you earn per battle, so instead of 2 attack points for every Bibarel mindlessly slaughtered, you get 4.

In Generation IV a new advancement was made, the Power Items (oooooooohhhhhh!!!) These items gave an additional 4 points to a stat regardless of what you fought, so if a pokemon was holding a power anklet while battling Bibarel it would get 2 attack points from the Bibarel and 4 Speed points from the Power Anklet.

The list is as follows:

Macho Brace: Doubles the amount of EV points earned per battle

Power Weight: +4 to HP regardless of the pokemon faced

Power Bracer: +4 to Atk regardless of the pokemon faced

Power Belt: +4 to Def regardless of the pokemon faced

Power Lens: +4 to Sp. Atk regardless of the pokemon faced

Power Band: +4 to Sp. Def regardless of the pokemon faced

Power Anklet: +4 to Speed regardless of the pokemon faced

Nope, I Juice

Performance Enhancing Drugs have been a staple of competitive battling for as long as I can remember, It's not only Legal, but for the most part it's encouraged. They call them "Vitamins" and give them vitamin names, but c'mon we all know what they really are. Each PED affects a certain stat and adds a whopping 10 points to that stat. The catch? You can only use 10 for any given stat, giving you 100 EV's in a specific stat.

In Gen V, they've added a more holistic approach in feathers. They're called Wings, but how are these pokemon still able to fly if they keep dropping their wings, and what kind of pokemon are these that lose their wings all the time? Zombies? The feathers only give you one point each but there's not limit to how many you can use, I suppose it's because it's the healthy alternative.

The list is as follows:

HP: HP Up/Health Wing

Attack: Protein/Muscle Wing

Defense: Iron/Resist Wing

Special Attack: Calcium/Genius Wing

Special Defense: Zinc/Clever Wing

Speed: Carbos/Swift Wing

Eww!! Pokecooties! What?!?! It's A Good Thing?!?!

The last thing that you should know about is the infamous Pokerus, I'm sure that you all have encountered this virus at least once. Heck, my old clan in PE2K was named after it. Why is it a good thing though? because it's like the macho brace! It doubles the amount of EV's you earn per battle. To top it off it stacks on top of the held items as well. So if your pokemon has Pokerus and is holding a macho brace, a Bibarel will give you 8 Attack points! If you're holding the Power Anklet and have Pokerus while fighting a Bibarel, you'll get 4 Attack EV's from the Bibarel, and 8 Speed EV's from the Power Anklet! This can cut down on the training immensely.

Due To Technical Difficulties...

One little side note, some of the poke nerds who were sitting in their labs bored out of their minds with only Voltorbs and Electrodes as company, came up with a thought.

If you don't need the full 252 EV's for a stat you could invest those EV's into something else. This holds especially true for Mixed Sweepers, and Walls who need a little speed to not be taunt bait. But don't worry you don't have to do all this math on your own. Smogon has done it all for you, in their strategy dex. For those mixed sweeper sets, they've done the maths to figure out what's the most effective way to use those EV's and minimum amount of speed a pokemon needs to outspeed certain pokemon. It goes the same for those walls, they tell you the minimum amount of speed EV's needed to outspeed the common taunters.

I know that all of this can seem daunting, and a lot of work, but with all the advancements the method has been streamlined quite a bit. And from what I hear there are going to be even more come Generation VI
    Last edited by Wookie Mistake; 07-25-2013 at 03:08 AM.

Terminology & Helpful Links

Terminology & Helpful Links

Here are some definitions for things just in case you don't know what's what. As well as links to aid in the team building process

I'd prefer this to be a community effort, so if you find a link to a great guide feel free to post the link and I'll add it in, as well as any new terms that you may have come across, I may forget some, so feel free to let me know if I'm missing anything

Terms & Definitions

#
    Spoiler:
    2HKO: When an offensive pokemon takes out another pokemon in two hits, It should be the minimum mark that a sweeper can hit, due to the fact that many recovery moves will restore at least 50% Health.

A

Spoiler:
    Abilities: An attribute that may give an individual pokemon an advantage during competitive battling. All pokemon have at least 2 abilities, while some have three. Some abilities are useless in competitive play but have an effect in the game itself. There are two types of competitive abilities, Passive and Active.
    Passive Abilities are always on, but are usually in the background. You never know that they are being used, but they'll either prevent an action or further boost an action.
    Active Abilities only activate when a corresponding move sets them off. The game will normally inform you that an ability activated via the game feed.

B

C
    Spoiler:
    Cleric: Job that certain Pokemon can do wherein they heal and restore the rest of the team to normal status.

D
    Spoiler:
    Defensive Pivot:A Pokemon that can switch into many threats and force a switch giving the user an advantage in the battle.

Drizzle: An ability that induces permanent rain. Rain will be in effect until the match is ended or another weather effect is introduced. Water type moves get a boost in the rain and fire type moves are reduced in effectiveness. Kyogre & Politoed are the only pokemon with this ability.

Drought:An ability that induces permanent Sun. Sun will be in effect until the match is ended or another weather effect is introduced. Fire Type moves are boosted and Water Type moves are reduced in effectiveness. Groudon & Ninetails are the only pokemon with this ability.

Dual Screener:A pokemon who sets up both Light Screen And Reflect to boost the defenses of the team. Often holding the Light Clay item

E
    Spoiler:
    Effort Values (EV's):Stat modifier that alters specific stat based on the pokemon fought. A Pokemon must earn Experience Points to also earn EV's (I.E. the pokemon must be defeated and a pokemon must participate in the defeat of the pokemon to earn EV's) 4 EV Points=1 Stat Point. The most EV's a pokemon can earn is 510. The most EV's for any one stat is 255.

Entry Hazards: A neutral move that lays down hazards which cause damage to any pokemon who are affected to subsequently enter the battlefield . The three Entry Hazards are Spikes, Toxic Spikes & Stealth Rocks.

F

G
    Spoiler:
    Grinding:The act of leveling up purely to level up. Level grinding consists of leveling a pokemon to 100 and EV Grinding consists of earning EV Points.

H
    Spoiler:
    Hax: A lucky hit where an added effect takes place. Possible effects include Burn, Confusion, Freeze, Paralysis, and Critical, as well as stat boosts for the user and stat reductions for the opposing pokemon

I
    Spoiler:
    In-Game Team: Pokemon teams that do not have any focus on competitive battling, normally used in the playthrough of the game, it still is possible to have a friendly match using these teams.

Individual Values: The hidden number for each stat that every pokemon has. This number dictates how high or low a pokemon's stat(s) can go. 0 is the lowest while 31 is the highest.

J

K

L

M
    Spoiler:
    Magic Bouncer:A pokemon with the ability Magic Bounce. Magic Bounce reflects any stat and status changing moves as well as entry hazards attempted to be put in play when a pokemon with the Magic Bounce ability is on the field. Only Natu, Xatu, and Espeon can have this ability.

Metagame:What Competitive battling is called. Consists of IV/Nature/Ability/Egg move Breeding, EV training and Level Grinding.

N
    Spoiler:
    Nature:An attribute that every pokemon has. Significant in the metagame because of the 10% boost of one stat and the 10% reduction of another. Has a 50% chance of being inherited by a baby from the mother if the mother is holding an Everstone.

O
    Spoiler:
    OHKO: The Ability To knock out an opposing pokemon in One Turn.

P
    Spoiler:

Para-flinch:The method of paralyzing a pokemon and using a flinch hax to guarantee that the opposing pokemon will never take a turn. The pokemon when not flinching is paralyzed and can't move, guaranteeing the protection of the attacking pokemon.

PHazing: A strategy where a pokemon uses a move that forces the pokemon in play to return to its trainer, thereby erasing any stat boosts the opposing pokemon may have gained.

Physical: Attacking/Defense Stats and Moves are split into two different categories, Physical And Special. Each move's damage is based on the stats of each spectrum.

Power Items:Items to aid EV Training.

The Items and their effects:
    Power Weight: +4 to HP regardless of the pokemon faced

Power Bracer: +4 to Atk regardless of the pokemon faced

Power Belt: +4 to Def regardless of the pokemon faced

Power Lens: +4 to Sp. Atk regardless of the pokemon faced

Power Band: +4 to Sp. Def regardless of the pokemon faced

Power Anklet: +4 to Speed regardless of the pokemon faced

Q

R
    Spoiler:
    Rapid Spinner: A pokemon who has the move Rapid Spin. Notable because Rapid Spin will remove hazards as well as doing a little damage. Does not work against Ghost types.

S
    Spoiler:
    Sandstream:An ability that induces a permanent sandstorm. Causing damage to all pokemon types with the exception Rock, Steel, and Ground Types. And those pokemon with the ability Overcoat and Magic Guard. Sandstorm will be in effect until the end of the match or until another weather effect is induced. Only Tyranitar, Hippopotas and Hippowdon have this ability.

Snow Warning:
    An ability that induces a permanent Hail storm. Causing damage to all pokemon types except Ice. Also any pokemon with the ability Snow Cloak, Snow Veil, Overcoat and Magic Guard are unaffected. Hail storm will be in effect until the end of the match or until another weather effect is induced. Snowver and Abomasnow are the only pokemon to have this ability.

Special:Attacking/Defense Stats and Moves are split into two different categories, Physical And Special. Each move's damage is based on the stats of each spectrum.

Spikes:
    An entry hazard that damages a pokemon coming in after they are layed. There are three layers. One use or One layer causes 1/8th of a pokemon's maximum health to be taken upon entry. Two layers causes 1/6th of a pokemon's maximum health to be taken upon entry. And three layers causes 1/4th of a pokemon's maximum health to be taken upon entry. Pokemon with the flying type and the ability levitate and Magic Guard are unaffected by Spikes. Can be dispersed using Rapid Spin.

Spin-Blocker: A ghost type pokemon used to prevent rapid spin and the dispersal of entry hazards.

STAB:Same Type Attack Bonus. A move that matches the typing of the pokemon using it. The move will get a 50% boost in Attacking power as a bonus.

Stealth Rocks: An entry hazard that damages a pokemon who comes in after the move is used. Damage is based on the effectiveness of rock type moves on the incoming pokemon.

2X Resistance =1/32 of maximum health damage
    1X Resistance = 1/16 of maximum health damage
    Neutral = 1/8 of maximum health damage
    1X Super Effective = 1/4 of maximum health damage
    2X Super Effective = 1/2 of maximum health damage
    Pokemon with the ability Magic Guard are unaffected.

Statuser:A pokemon who uses status altering moves to cripple opposing pokemon. Statuses include Burn, Freeze, Poison, Sleep and Confusion

Sweeper:A pokemon role who's sole purpose is in the fainting of opposing pokemon, as quickly as possible. Usually frail by nature. Physical Sweeper, Special Sweeper and Mixed Sweeper are the different kinds of sweeper.

T
    Spoiler:
    Tank:A pokemon role similar to the sweeper. But is designed to be able to take out a pokemon while still being able to take hits. They usually have High HP or Defenses and low speeds.

Toxi-Shuffler:A Strategy where a pokemon poisons an opposing pokemon and forces the pokemon to return to it's trainer and another pokemon to come out poisoning that one as well continuing on until as many of the opposing pokemon are afflicted with the Poison status.

Toxi-Trapper:A strategy where a pokemon poisons an opposing pokemon with the move Toxic and prevents the pokemon from fleeing forcing the damage to accumulate and eventually fainting the opposing pokemon.

Toxic Spikes:An entry hazard that does not cause instant damage but inflicts the entering pokemon with poison. There are two layers. 1 Layer = To a poison status 2 Layers = To a badly poisoned status. Flying Pokemon and pokemon with the ability levitate and magic guard are unaffected. Can be dispersed using Rapid Spin

Trick Roomer:A pokemon that uses the move Trick Room to alter the precedence for attack. Slower pokemon will move first. Lasts only 5 turns before it's effects dissipate. Priority moves are unaffected by it.

Type Trump:
    Getting the upper hand by using a pokemon who has a type advantage on an opposing pokemon

U

V
    Spoiler:
    Vitamins:A group of items that aid in EV Training giving 10 EV points for each respective stat. A maximum of 10 for each stat can be used giving a pokemon a possible 100 EV's at one time.

Types Of Vitamins:
    HP: HP Up

Attack: Protein

Defense: Iron

Special Attack: Calcium

Special Defense: Zinc

Speed: Carbos

W
    Spoiler:
    Wall:A pokemon who's role is to absorb attacks and inflict statuses or lay entry hazards. Very durable and often requires a reliable healing move.

Weather Inducer: A pokemon who induces a weather condition by either an ability or a move. A necessary pokemon in any weather team.

Wings: An EV training tool that gives a pokemon 1 EV for each corresponding Wing. Usage is unlimited.

List Of Wings:
    HP: Health Wing

Attack: Muscle Wing

Defense: Resist Wing

Special Attack: Genius Wing

Special Defense: Clever Wing

Speed: Swift Wing

X

Y

Z

Helpful Links To Building A Competitive Team

Serebii.net's B/W Pokedex Useful for finding pokemon moves as well as maximum stats and EV's given

Serebii.net's Attackdex A list of all the moves available in the 5th generation

Serebii.net's Abilitydex A list of all abilities in the 5th Generation

Smogon's Strategydex A compilation of the most popular competitive movesets for most of the pokemon up to the 5th Generation

Marriland's Team Builder A useful tool to see how many weaknesses a team has as well as the types it may be able to cover

Nugget Bridge's Ev training hotspot guide
    A list of the best spots to ev train in b2/w2

Pkmn.eu's Ev training hot spot guide for B/W A list of hotspots to ev train in B/W
    Last edited by Wookie Mistake; 07-25-2013 at 06:55 AM.

a just in case reserve

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    Let me know when its ready. I think I have an idea for another after this.
    The last part will probably stay a Work In Progress as more helpful links are found and new terminology gets created. It will basically by a community pool for any info we all find on the web so it shouldn't take too long for me to finish. If you want we can go ahead and move on to a new topic for a guide