The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Book Recommendations

Do you have a series of books or a particular book you would like to recommend others read? Post it here with the title, author, and a brief description to explain why it is so good for people to read!

I'll start with two of my favorites.

Firstly, if you're a fan of fantasy, I would recommend the Falling Kingdoms series by Morgan Rhodes. It currently has five books with a six book due out in December of 2017. There is also a prequel series starting with The Book of Spirits and Thieves which sets the world of Mytica (setting of Falling Kingdoms) many years into the past and connects it to Modern Day Toronto. Then, it connects it all in a Novella that was just released this past December called The Obsidian Blade. While I have yet to read the fifth book or the novella because they just came out, I can say with firm certainty that this is my favorite book series. It's full of magic, legends, and manslaughter. I will warn you now, if you like to pair characters, wait until the third book before finalizing your pairs, and even then don't do it. Without giving anything away, I paired characters in the first book and then within like the next few books the pairs dissolved due to either a person dying, the individual falling for someone else, or THE PERSON DYING. The first book is a bit of a blood bath character wise but if you've watched Game of Thrones you should be good. But overall the series is very good. All the characters that live have character development, and in the third and fourth books you really get to see that the goal of the main characters does not just impact Mytica, but the entire world, which I think many books lack in really showing, rather they just leave to kind of assume. The cliffhangers are very well placed and destroy you inside, no doubt, but they're so masterfully done that you can't really be mad yes you can. It is kind of interesting, as well, to see how wars, coup de tats, and more occur in a more realistic fashion than having someone with magic blow up the front door of the castle and take over with no struggle (well...). If you're a fantasy fan, do read this entire franchise, because it is truly a work of art.

The other book that I must recommend is The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. A few of you may remember that I read this book this past summer, and I wouldn't shut up about it afterwards. IT WAS THAT GOOD. There's no good way to describe this book other than magical. To give a brief description, the book has four main characters across three time periods that all tie together beautifully. And one of the main characters is you. The book starts and ends in your perspective, and often uses your perspective to either drop foreshadowing or tie together details you may have missed. Your perspective is also the only one that is never dated, meaning there is no distinct time as to when you would have visited, other than it took place after the initial events of the book. It is a story of a star crossed romance that has possibly been set before in many a time as hinted by one of the characters, but this time it ends much differently, with the conflict no longer going to occur from here on out. At the same time, many years in the future but also at the same time, a young boy dreams of joining the famed circus and nearly misses the chance of a lifetime but soon discovers that sometimes fate does strike twice. Honestly this is my favorite book and there is no chance that anything will probably ever surpass it. I finished this book in a few hours, the fastest I have ever finished a book, and I will have to read it again in the future because there are small details I know I missed that will take reading it again several times before I truly grasp it all.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Wow that first book series seems really cool. O: I should maybe get into it. :3

Buuut the second one... I don't know how I'd deal with second-person perspective. I don't like the concept of it. xD

3. This post has been liked by:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    Wow that first book series seems really cool. O: I should maybe get into it. :3

Buuut the second one... I don't know how I'd deal with second-person perspective. I don't like the concept of it. xD
    Yeah just prep for heartbreak.

It's not majorly distracting I promise. The majority of the book is not in your perspective so it's not like everything is in your perspective. The fact that it was from your perspective is just one of my favorite parts.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Yeah, I really need to find a new book series to get into. I pretty much read everything there is to Dragonlance and I haven't been able to find a really solid fantasy series to get into. Everything feels like it's meant for a different target audience than myself.

I like watching Game of Thrones on HBO (haven't read the books), but there are times when it just seems to lay on the gore and grittiness just for gore and grittiness's sake. Oh, nothing much is going on? Just have some random bloke get decapitated. It was alright for a little while, but it seems like they're just relying on gritty shock value a bit too much.

Second person perspective... this is a tricky one. I feel it works well for a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book where it's a story and game hybrid, but I'm not sure about it being for a regular story. I can't judge though, it's something I'd have to at least try for 100 pages before really getting a feel for how it is.

6. This post has been liked by:

Not insanity. Supersanity. Death's Spook's Avatar
    If you're looking for a good urban fantasy series, The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher is perfect. The first book is called Storm Front, which is pretty good, but it starts to get amazing at book 4, Summer Knight.
    Avatar taken from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart. Two great tastes that go great together! You know, when they aren't trying to kill each other horribly.

Ivy commands you not to touch the kitty!

Banner by Neo Emolga!