Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar

[FAQ] Tools of the Trade

Tools of the Trade
    FAQ & discussion thread for artist's tools / programs

~*~

Welcome, guys, to Tools of the Trade! This thread is where artists of all kinds can gather and share tips, tricks and knowledge about the tools we use. What kinds of tools? There's traditional mediums, such as pencils, paint, or maybe chalk. And then there are also tools for specific art programs such as Photoshop, GIMP, Paint Tool Sai and many more. If you're into photography, you might want to also learn about lenses, shutter speeds and cool effects.

So that's where you guys come in. If you've got lots of artistic knowledge, it'd be awesome if you'd share it with us! Maybe take a few screenshots, show your settings, or do a quick tutorial around a certain tool. Have a graphics tablet? How do you use it? You can even just explain a few tips and tricks if you'd like. If you're just starting out in Photoshop and not sure which way is up, feel free to ask a question here! That goes for any kind of artistic tool. If you're curious and want to know, just ask away! We'll all try our best to help get you started with whatever tool of the trade you need. :D As questions and answers pop up, they'll be added into the FAQ below.

This is also a general thread for the discussion of art tools and/or programs. So feel free to ask around if you just need a little help, or have something to share. c:

Happy creating!

TOOL FAQ

TRADITIONAL ART
    --

DIGITAL ART

ADOBE PHOTOSHOP
    Spoiler:

KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS
    (note that this must be activated in the preferences menu -- it is on by default)
    Alternatively, a full list of keyboard shortcuts can be found here.

• Hitting the "A" key will select the Path Selection Tool
    • Hitting the "B" key will select the Brush Tool
    • Hitting the "C" key will select the Crop Tool
    • Hitting the "D" key will switch the two primary colours back to the default (black & white)
    • Hitting the "E" key will select the Eraser Tool
    • Hitting the "F" key will switch the Screen Mode
    • Hitting the "G" key will select the Paint Bucket / Gradient Tool
    • Hitting the "H" key will select the Hand Tool
    • Hitting the "I" key will select the Eyedropper Tool
    • Hitting the "J" key will select the Spot Healing Brush Tool
    • Hitting the "K" key will select the 3D Object Rotate Tool (PS Extended only)
    • Hitting the "L" key will select the Lasso Tool
    • Hitting the "M" key will select the Marquee Tool
    • Hitting the "N" key will select the 3D Camera Rotate tool (PS Extended only)
    • Hitting the "O" key will select the Dodge / Burn / Sponge Tool
    • Hitting the "P" key will select the Pen Tool
    • Hitting the "Q" key will switch the mode to Quick Mask
    • Hitting the "R" key will select the Rotate Tool
    • Hitting the "S" key will select the Clone Stamp Tool
    • Hitting the "T" key will select the Type Tool
    • Hitting the "U" key will select the Rectangle (Shape) Tool
    • Hitting the "V" key will select the Move Tool
    • Hitting the "W" key will select the Magic Wand Tool
    • Hitting the "X" key will switch your two primary colours
    • Hitting the "Z" key will select the Zoom Tool

PHOTOGRAPHY
    --

RESOURCES

FREE ART PROGRAMS
    Last edited by Chibi Altaria; 02-06-2017 at 06:07 AM.

2. This post has been liked by:

Administrator

I'm not too great at Photoshop myself. Maybe you could show us some basic tutorials to start out using a few basic tools? I'd love to learn more =0

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

4. This post has been liked by:

I'm quite familiar with photoshop! But I've no idea how to write a decent photoshop tutorial. xD

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

I'm okay at photoshop. I'm learning. Like Neko though I probably can't give a good tutorial.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    I'm not too great at Photoshop myself. Maybe you could show us some basic tutorials to start out using a few basic tools? I'd love to learn more =0
    THERE ARE LITERALLY TONNES. But sure, I'll try to make a few tutorials when I have time. xD Might not be able to use the mic though, since my house is primarily occupied by loud people.

Also, guys, you don't need to create tutorials! If you just wanna write a quick tip about a tool or something, that's perfectly acceptable too! :D For example:

KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS:

• Hitting the "I" key will select the eyedropper tool in Photoshop if you have keyboard shortcuts active.

Last edited by Chibi Altaria; 01-12-2017 at 01:37 AM.

8. This post has been liked by:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

My question is about lineart in Photoshop. Is it possible to do really clean, smooth lineart drawing with a tablet, or does everyone still use the pen tool? As far as I know, there is no setting that makes your drawn lines smoother (like in Illustrator)?
    GCEA

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    My question is about lineart in Photoshop. Is it possible to do really clean, smooth lineart drawing with a tablet, or does everyone still use the pen tool? As far as I know, there is no setting that makes your drawn lines smoother (like in Illustrator)?
    Ooooh, you mean like a tool to smooth out lines? Mmm, nope. Unfortunately Photoshop doesn't have anything like that, since it's primarily a painting/editing software. The Smooth Tool is exclusive to Illustrator (and there's a similar tool in Paint Tool SAI). So yeah, if you want SUPER smooth lineart it's best to use the Pen Tool. But that doesn't mean you can't get smooth lines in Photoshop with a tablet! It just takes a bit of practice. I tend to use a lot of shorter strokes myself, over longer ones, and then erase the parts I don't need.

The best advice I can offer you for lineart is that you want to use a hard, round brush with pressure sensitivity and/or transfer turned on. If you're a little shaky, maybe try zooming out and making longer strokes. Also rotate the canvas to get the best angle! Pen pressure can be emulated with the Pen Tool by using "Simulate Pressure" when you go to stroke the path. Sorry I can't help more, Sarah. D:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Latias View Post

Ooooh, you mean like a tool to smooth out lines? Mmm, nope. Unfortunately Photoshop doesn't have anything like that, since it's primarily a painting/editing software. The Smooth Tool is exclusive to Illustrator (and there's a similar tool in Paint Tool SAI). So yeah, if you want SUPER smooth lineart it's best to use the Pen Tool. But that doesn't mean you can't get smooth lines in Photoshop with a tablet! It just takes a bit of practice. I tend to use a lot of shorter strokes myself, over longer ones, and then erase the parts I don't need.

The best advice I can offer you for lineart is that you want to use a hard, round brush with pressure sensitivity and/or transfer turned on. If you're a little shaky, maybe try zooming out and making longer strokes. Also rotate the canvas to get the best angle! Pen pressure can be emulated with the Pen Tool by using "Simulate Pressure" when you go to stroke the path. Sorry I can't help more, Sarah. D:
    Thanks Gem! That's good advice! :) Annoying that Photoshop doesn't have a smoothing tool, but I can understand why. xD
    GCEA

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    Thanks Gem! That's good advice! :) Annoying that Photoshop doesn't have a smoothing tool, but I can understand why. xD
    I really, really want one, though. xD You're welcome!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Latias View Post

I really, really want one, though. xD You're welcome!
    It would be nice if PS were more simple to use, but not everything super awesome is gonna be simple huh? Thanks for the tips so far, Gemma! It'll be nice to come back here after I get Photoshop and see all the tips to go by for creating something! :p

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

14. This post has been liked by: