Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

FINALLY GETTING AROUND TO THIS.

Fire type pokemon in water

I think it should sort of be like what Neo said. I couldn't find a picture but I can remember in the Pokemon anime there's a scene where all of Ash and co's pokemon were playing in the water. All of the rock, ground, and fire types were sort of avoiding getting in, and I can remember Phanpy flipped out when they tried to get him wet. So I think it'd be like that. They don't really enjoy it but it won't like hurt them unless prolonged exposure.

Reviver Seeds

This is tricky because if we're going with the idea that these can revive the dead then there are going to have to be some SERIOUS restraints on using these. If we are going with game logic that it fully heals whomever it has been used on then firstly, I think it should be illegal or absurdly difficult for a regular person to get a hold of these. Like only hospitals and rescue teams or something like that can have them. Secondly, they're either really expensive, really rare, or both. Obviously if these were really prominent then we'd have lots of pokemon hundreds of years old. If we are going with Neo's logic in that it's just returning the person to life and that's it, then I also say, it has to act like how hospital revivings do, within a certain amount of time after death and (like Neo said) without too much bodily harm.

Moves

Honestly I'm okay with them having as many moves as they want as long as it's not unreasonable. If you wanted a cap I'd recommend six, but it doesn't really matter. I do think that pokemon should actually have to learn the move, like how Buizel learns Ice Punch in the anime. It's not instant, and they aren't going to be experts right off. I'd also venture to say if it makes sense for the pokemon to learn the move (like growlithe learning growl or scrafty learning sucker punch), they should be allowed to learn it as well. But I would say if such a case were to arise, then it would be needed to be pitted to the writers first before it actually happens.

Eating Habits

I'm okay with Pokemon sticking to the eating habits of the pokedex and their animal bases. I mean, we know Heatmor eat Durant and Toxapex eat Corsola, no way around it. While I'm sure that most if not all pokemon are probably omnivores, I wouldn't be against them eating each other. I would just say maybe make there like a line of distinction, like they're eating ferals or something so that way they're not eating other competent beings, because that might be a bit touchy to some.

Humans

Same with Neo, having them as mythology would be interesting! Especially if one showed up then it could be this big mystery of how they became a pokemon if they were previously a human because that means they would have had to time traveled or something. It would be fun for the writers to write the myths too.

Exploration Badges

I do think the teleportation feature is fine but I'd say it can only be used once per dungeon. So then teams are forced to carry a bunch around if they want to tackle multiple missions because they have to give one to each person they rescue and such. I'd say they can be recharged or something too but no more than one use, so if you run out then you have to try and escape the dungeon without it.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

2. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    FINALLY GETTING AROUND TO THIS.

Fire type pokemon in water

I think it should sort of be like what Neo said. I couldn't find a picture but I can remember in the Pokemon anime there's a scene where all of Ash and co's pokemon were playing in the water. All of the rock, ground, and fire types were sort of avoiding getting in, and I can remember Phanpy flipped out when they tried to get him wet. So I think it'd be like that. They don't really enjoy it but it won't like hurt them unless prolonged exposure.

Reviver Seeds

This is tricky because if we're going with the idea that these can revive the dead then there are going to have to be some SERIOUS restraints on using these. If we are going with game logic that it fully heals whomever it has been used on then firstly, I think it should be illegal or absurdly difficult for a regular person to get a hold of these. Like only hospitals and rescue teams or something like that can have them. Secondly, they're either really expensive, really rare, or both. Obviously if these were really prominent then we'd have lots of pokemon hundreds of years old. If we are going with Neo's logic in that it's just returning the person to life and that's it, then I also say, it has to act like how hospital revivings do, within a certain amount of time after death and (like Neo said) without too much bodily harm.

Moves

Honestly I'm okay with them having as many moves as they want as long as it's not unreasonable. If you wanted a cap I'd recommend six, but it doesn't really matter. I do think that pokemon should actually have to learn the move, like how Buizel learns Ice Punch in the anime. It's not instant, and they aren't going to be experts right off. I'd also venture to say if it makes sense for the pokemon to learn the move (like growlithe learning growl or scrafty learning sucker punch), they should be allowed to learn it as well. But I would say if such a case were to arise, then it would be needed to be pitted to the writers first before it actually happens.

Eating Habits

I'm okay with Pokemon sticking to the eating habits of the pokedex and their animal bases. I mean, we know Heatmor eat Durant and Toxapex eat Corsola, no way around it. While I'm sure that most if not all pokemon are probably omnivores, I wouldn't be against them eating each other. I would just say maybe make there like a line of distinction, like they're eating ferals or something so that way they're not eating other competent beings, because that might be a bit touchy to some.

Humans

Same with Neo, having them as mythology would be interesting! Especially if one showed up then it could be this big mystery of how they became a pokemon if they were previously a human because that means they would have had to time traveled or something. It would be fun for the writers to write the myths too.

Exploration Badges

I do think the teleportation feature is fine but I'd say it can only be used once per dungeon. So then teams are forced to carry a bunch around if they want to tackle multiple missions because they have to give one to each person they rescue and such. I'd say they can be recharged or something too but no more than one use, so if you run out then you have to try and escape the dungeon without it.

Most of my thoughts on the above are covered in other responses. xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Guess I'll drop my thoughts here.

Fire Pokémon and Water

I'm okay with fire Pokémon swimming in water, but they really don't like it. Kind of like how people would feel if they had to swim while fully clothed. It shouldn't be painful, but it shouldn't be pleasant to them either and perhaps make them feel very light-headed instead. Otherwise, attacks like Water Gun and other early water type attacks wouldn't do anything.

Excessive exposure to water should make them too light-headed and that's what causes them to faint. But if they only swim for a few seconds and quickly dry themselves off with their own fire attacks once they're out of the water, they should be okay. But yeah, it would make sense for a fire Pokémon to be hesitant about going into water and look for alternatives, only jumping into the drink if there's absolutely no other way around or if there's just no time to look for other options.

I think most would find it uncomfortable at best. It would probably weaken their defenses and attacks too. So it's not something that's good for them in any other way than drinking- except maybe to recover from Overheating.

Reviver Seeds

I see Reviver Seeds kind of working the same way Phoenix Down works in Final Fantasy games. It may revive, but when it does, your character has next to nothing for health and is in critical condition. If you dare try using it in the middle of a battle, chances are very good they're just going to get knocked out again.

This is how I think things should work out with Reviver Seeds:

• They sometimes work, and only if the Pokémon's body is in relatively intact condition (such as if they were suffocated, drowned, severely beaten, fell from a great height, etc). If the Pokémon got completely incinerated, decapitated, crushed, or died some other kind of grizzly death, it's all over. The more bodily harm that's been done, the less of a chance it has of working.
    • They aren't instant (I feel like all berries and healing items should take a bit of time to work also). They're kind of like a defibrillator and sometimes it may take a while for the Pokémon to revive.
    • They should be rare and expensive (much more than the games).
    • If they revive, the Pokémon is still in bad shape and needs additional healing and recovery.

I think most people are leaning towards dead = dead and reviver seeds being a means of waking up unconscious Pokemon or quick energy. But I agree if they DO revive in ANY capacity, it has to have severe limitations. Only on intact bodies is fine- and recently deceased (I'm talking. seconds/minutes), extraordinarily rare, not a guaranteed chance, and doesn't work on old age.

How many moves?

As many as they want, BUT I would like to see it where a Pokémon may learn a move, but sometimes they still need to learn how to use it well. Maybe they have trouble aiming it, maybe it starts off weak and they need someone to help train them to make it more powerful and unlock its fullest potential, or maybe they can't use it quickly enough just from lack of experience. But otherwise, I'm not against them learning whatever they can, but perhaps a move a Pokémon hasn't used in a long time might be something they've forgotten how to use well.

I like as many as you want, but natural progression is definitely a must! We don't just go from ember to Fire Blast. In the latest PMD game, your moves got stronger the more you used them- so training them up is definitely a good idea! Maybe a good way to learn new moves- practice ember enough and maybe you get incinerate.

Carnivores?

Yes. I'm okay with them still eating berries for healing, but let's face it, some Pokémon weren't given all kinds of sharp incisors just so they could eat apples. :P

Read my response to Scyther. xD

About humans?

I like the idea that humans are kind of like myths and folklore and would cause the same kind of reaction to Pokémon of this world as if you said to people mermaids or centaurs exist in our world. The Pokémon may know what they are from the myths the same way we know what mermaids and centaurs are like, but they don't consider them to be real.

Myths are fine. xD

Explorer Badges

I'm okay with the teleportation features, BUT... give it a recharge time, make it have to use some kind of fuel or energy source, and make it have a charge-up delay from activation to actually working. That way, it can't be used as an instant escape and it can only be used once the coast is clear.

[b][color=red]Yeah, recharge time and no-insta escape. I suggested it only works if they're standing still cause... well- teleportation can be tricky, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    I'm reeeeeally bad with drawing backgrounds, but I would be up for the challenge of drawing mystery dungeons.

Practice helps!

I have never had my fire types "allergic" to water. XD I literally have a flareon swimming in one of the first chapters of a story of mine. I mean, it makes her feel uncomfortable and she's certainly not keen to do it again, but it doesn't harm her. Like what's been said, an open flame is different.

Yeah, I'm okay with fire types swimming. They just don't like it and it'd probably makes them feel a little weaker overall after a while. Except for Naya. She likes water. She doesn't count though. Water could be deadly to certain fire types like Charmanders and whatnot- but to make it so other fire types can't swim or even touch water is absurd. They're probably poor swimmers too.

I like the idea of having more than 4 moves. I know that the 4 move limitation is just to make in-game battling fair, but it shouldn't apply to less confining settings such as a comic or a story. 6 seems alright, but I wouldn't mind having more. For my own 'circle' of stories and what have you, I set the limit at 8.

I'm okay with that.

Badge teleportation is tricky. I too do not think it should be a get-out-of-jail-free card, but I also don't want to have the awkwardness of going to a 40f dungeon and rescuing someone on the 3rd floor and then being stuck there for the remainder of the 37f. Perhaps it only works out of range of enemies, such as in certain games where teleportation or fast travel is only available when you're 100% safe?

Maybe you have to be standing perfectly still for it to work- this way if you're being chased... welp- too bad. Move and waste a charge? You're stuck! I do agree that it'd stink to have to go through the entire dungeon every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
    Yes, I like the idea of reviver seeds being able to 'revive' (as in wake up/energize) a fainted pokemon.

As for mystery dungeons, I personally would like to see actual dungeons in the comic. Places that are never the same each time you enter them, so it's always an unpredictable maze.

I agree, actual dungeons would be nice!

Another thing is, what do the pokemon eat? Particularly the carnivores. Do they get meat from somewhere or should we just have everyone able to eat berries? I'd prefer carnivores to still be meat eaters (though of course they can eat berries too, especially for their healing properties such as pecha berries curing poison or whatever), but I wouldn't mind a ton if we simplified it to have everyone eat berries either. I'd like to see other people's thoughts on this.

Hmm... I've seen some comics have it so there are meat substitutes like certain roots, berries, and fungi to help sustain the (civilized) carnivorous Pokemon without them needing to hunt. We can do something like that.

Current Topics
    Reviver Seeds
    - Bring back the dead?
    - If so- restrictions? (Body intact, must be used immediately, extremely rare, does not always work?)
    - No dead? Restores consciousness?

Carnivorous Pokemon
    - Must eat meat, period? Meat substitutes?
    - All Pokemon eat berries?

Badge Teleportation
    - Restrictions to avoid insta-danger escape?
    - Requires to be charged? One use per charge?
    - Limits to how many can teleport at once?
    - If no- avoid using near enemies in case they come along too?
    - Limits to when it can be used? Standing still? Using near other Pokemon might bring enemies along too

Moves
    - Unlimited with natural growth progression?
    - 6-8 move limit?

Fire Types
    - Can swim, but don't like it
    - Water weakens them physically over time?

4. This post has been liked by:

Reviver Seeds
    Shouldn't reviver seeds just bring back fainted pokemon? I mean, it's like a revive. xD Pokemon dying and pokemon fainting are completely separate things. DEAD pokemon can't be revived by anything, period.

Carnivores:
    Perhaps inside towns and whatnot, there are substitutes. But outside of towns, pokemon can be seen hunting? I guess this is only if we have an eating scene come up, right? I mean, there'd definitely need to be some sort of separation between a rescue team pidgey and a wild (or 'feral') pidgey, yeah? And yeah, blood/gore at a minimum. I think all pokemon would be fine with eating berries since they have natural curative abilities, but perhaps they would only be consumed by carnivores for curative purposes, rather than hunger (though naturally it would fill them up a little if they ate an oran berry to restore health xD).

Badge
    Definitely needs to be charged. Maybe a 60 minute period from 0% to 100%?
    User needs to be still while the badge conducts the teleportation. So that pokemon can't be running with it (thereby needing to be out of harm's way). If they try to use it while running, the charge gets used like 5% and needs to recharge for only another few minutes before being used again (whereas a full teleportation drains it 100%). We could always have the badge's charge percentage up the top of each comic page (when in dungeons) to keep track of it, like a HUD.
    Four pokemon limit - As this adheres to regular four pokemon party limits in the games.
    Can also be stolen! User needs to be careful that it doesn't fall into enemy hands/paws/scythes/tentacles/jaws/etc.

Moves
    I'm cool with an 8 move limit. We could always make a restriction that only fully evolved pokemon are capable of having 8 moves, so any basic/middle staged pokemon can only remember up to 6. (If the pokemon doesn't evolve at all then it's considered fully evolved.)

Fire Types:
    Weakening them over time makes sense! Sort of like how an ice type being under a hot sun would begin to weaken them after a time, too.

Nice job, everyone. :D

Reviver Seeds
    I like to think of them as something like smelling salts. Something to help someone regain consciousness, not something that brings back the dead. Having an item that brings the dead back is a quick road to Dragonball Z territory, where story deaths feel cheap because they aren't permanent.

Carnivorous Pokemon
    Pokedex says some pokemon eat meat. In fact it specifically says some pokemon eat other pokemon. Any more advanced society would frown upon murder so I would go with carnivorous pokemon naturally eat meat but now eat a substitute instead.

Badge Teleportation
    I don't like badge teleportation for the same reason I don't like reviver seeds bringing back the dead. Makes bad situations seem lesser when you can teleport out of them. I've always liked the badges to be more of a system to make a call for help.

Moves
    I never use move names in my own story. I will describe them as using a specific move but avoid giving them the standard names as that feels to trainer related to me. This is from the first chapter of my story, "Pulling all the power he had he opened his mouth wide and focused it. He was rewarded by a look of surprise on the Zangoose's face just before a ball of pure dark aura exploded from his maw, knocking the Zangoose clear from his victim." That is usually how I handle pokemon moves.
    As far as limits go, I think they should know more as they gain experience and age. Having a number limit to the moves is a game mechanic that I don't like bringing into stories.

Fire Types
    It's water guys, all living things are made of it. Makes no sense for water to wipe out a fire type just with contact. If that was true then a simple rain storm would be catastrophic event in some areas. It would be at odds with their natural ability and would therefor be unpleasant and probably weaken them, but shouldn't do any physical harm.

PMDXR Page 01-01 Contributions

- Edgard and Natalya are in a city called Seaspire City!
    - Current Season: Fall

Seaspire city is a coastal town that overlooks a bunch of sea stacks.
    - Contains Various Pokemon shaped-buildings and a windy path to a Noivern-shaped mountain.

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Okay, I hope people feel I'm not going to an extreme by making Edgar come from an alternate dimension. I figured the PMD game series has had the hero protagonist come from other worlds and another time period, and I figured trying something like this would have really cool results and lots of potential for a story with PMD flavor but with a whole new twist.

Plus with a plot like this, I think there's a LOT of cool things that could be done with it that remain untouched in the PMD series, so that's why I did what I did. But, if people think it's a little too out there, I'm open to talking out an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Okay, I hope people feel I'm not going to an extreme by making Edgar come from an alternate dimension. I figured the PMD game series has had the hero protagonist come from other worlds and another time period, and I figured trying something like this would have really cool results and lots of potential for a story with PMD flavor but with a whole new twist.

Plus with a plot like this, I think there's a LOT of cool things that could be done with it that remain untouched in the PMD series, so that's why I did what I did. But, if people think it's a little too out there, I'm open to talking out an alternative.
    Nah, I don't think so at all! xD I was wondering who would take the first big plot twist- but I certainly wasn't expecting it this soon!

Personally, I like it! And if people -really- don't like it for some reason, we could just have that be some sort of lie/joke. xD I see no reason to redo anything with your page. =D So excited!

10. This post has been liked by: