Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar

[Tutorials] Tips, Tricks & Process Guides

Tips, Tricks & Process Guides
    for artists of all kinds

~*~

I finally got around to this

Welcome artists of all degrees! You don't even have to be an artist; you could just be art-curious! This thread is set up so that you guys (and myself) can add any process videos or tutorials you create. Ever tried Photoshop but just been stumped? Like "how do I use this brush?!". Or maybe, "How do I draw a Pikachu? I just can't get the tail to be the right shape! ;O;". Or maybe you have problems with lighting and shades? That's always a tricky one. I loooove helping people, especially when it comes to art. So I'm going to share all the tips and tricks I can while I create my work. I'll even post tutorials and process guide videos and/or screen shots, which will then be included in the first post.

I urge you all to do the same! If anyone has a question, concern, wants to see a specific tutorial or otherwise, feel free to ask here! If you wish to contribute something you've done, please send a PM to Chibi Altaria! We'll all do our best to help you out on your way to improving your art! :D

notes on Chibi Altaria:
    • I am familiar with most traditional art mediums.
    • For digital work I primarily use Photoshop, Illustrator, and occasionally Paint Tool Sai.
      If your question is specifically related to another program I may not know the answer, so please keep that in mind!
    • I also use a Macbook Pro, so any keyboard shortcuts I use can be easily done on PCs by using the Control key in place of Command.
    • I sort of have a life outside the forum, so don't fret if I don't get to your request straight away!

REQUEST LIST

• Blocking in colour with lineart
    • Brush tool options

Last edited by Chibi Altaria; 02-06-2017 at 06:08 AM.

Have a quick video of a sketch I did this morning, trying to work out how these process video thingies work. xD I THINK IT'S OKAY.

I'll obviously choose better colours next time it was easier to see on my screen

3. This post has been liked by:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

This is an awesome idea Gem! :D What a cute Pika sketch! I gotta learn how to do that turning the canvas thing xD I'm really looking forward to seeing more from you, especially on colouring and shading which I struggle with!

Things I'm interested in knowing is how you choose colours for shading (I know it's a tactic to choose a colour (eg. purple or blue) and then just change layer options. Then you don't have to try and find good shades for every colour (yelliow is the worst for me xD). Also how you block in colour behind the lineart. I feel like there should be an easier way then having to carefully colour in without going outside the lines, as you would in traditional media. But when I try and use the magic wand or anything to select the area within the lineart to fill with colour, it never looks right. xD AND finally, if you have any really useful brush tool options that you use for lineart, colouring, shading etc. that you would be willing to share!

You da best <3
    GCEA

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    This is an awesome idea Gem! :D What a cute Pika sketch! I gotta learn how to do that turning the canvas thing xD I'm really looking forward to seeing more from you, especially on colouring and shading which I struggle with!

Things I'm interested in knowing is how you choose colours for shading (I know it's a tactic to choose a colour (eg. purple or blue) and then just change layer options. Then you don't have to try and find good shades for every colour (yelliow is the worst for me xD). Also how you block in colour behind the lineart. I feel like there should be an easier way then having to carefully colour in without going outside the lines, as you would in traditional media. But when I try and use the magic wand or anything to select the area within the lineart to fill with colour, it never looks right. xD AND finally, if you have any really useful brush tool options that you use for lineart, colouring, shading etc. that you would be willing to share!

You da best <3
    Thanks! I wanted to do something more extensive, but I didn't have anything planned and I just wanted the thread up so that was it. XD

Ah, rotating the canvas for easier drawing? In Photoshop you hit the 'R' key for the Rotate Tool. This way you can just rotate your canvas to the desired angle, which I find easier to draw some lines. I'm sure you've noticed you work better on certain angles, too. C: It's also a good tip (and I don't do it as often as I should) to flip your canvas horizontally while drawing. This allows you to see it from a fresh perspective so it's easier to spot anatomical mistakes and such. :D

Sooooo for my reference xD;

• Choosing colours for shading
    • Brush tool options

I'll go over what I know with colour theory, granted Neko's probably better at that than I am. XD I'll do some tutorials all the same, though!

6. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Latias View Post

Thanks! I wanted to do something more extensive, but I didn't have anything planned and I just wanted the thread up so that was it. XD

Ah, rotating the canvas for easier drawing? In Photoshop you hit the 'R' key for the Rotate Tool. This way you can just rotate your canvas to the desired angle, which I find easier to draw some lines. I'm sure you've noticed you work better on certain angles, too. C: It's also a good tip (and I don't do it as often as I should) to flip your canvas horizontally while drawing. This allows you to see it from a fresh perspective so it's easier to spot anatomical mistakes and such. :D

Sooooo for my reference xD;

• Choosing colours for shading
    • Brush tool options

I'll go over what I know with colour theory, granted Neko's probably better at that than I am. XD I'll do some tutorials all the same, though!
    Feel free to tag me or request I do some written guides too! I'm more than happy to help share my tricks. I'm no master, but hey- if I help one person, it's a good thing! I can alternate between art guides and comics guides since they go together nicely. =D

Seriously, if anyone wants me to write some guides on how I do specific things, just ask! When I have the time/energy, I'll GLADLY do my best to please!

Also feel free to include/request any of my videos. (I've got more than are public, so if there's an art you want to see a vid of, just ask- I record a good chunk of things these days.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nekomata View Post
    Feel free to tag me or request I do some written guides too! I'm more than happy to help share my tricks. I'm no master, but hey- if I help one person, it's a good thing! I can alternate between art guides and comics guides since they go together nicely. =D

Seriously, if anyone wants me to write some guides on how I do specific things, just ask! When I have the time/energy, I'll GLADLY do my best to please!

Also feel free to include/request any of my videos. (I've got more than are public, so if there's an art you want to see a vid of, just ask- I record a good chunk of things these days.)
    @Nekomata If you want a request, I wanna request how you do your lighting. xD Either a process guide or tutorial is fine. I REALLY LOVE YOUR LIGHTING.

@Nekomata If you want a request, I wanna request how you do your lighting. xD Either a process guide or tutorial is fine. I REALLY LOVE YOUR LIGHTING.
    So, lighting + Color Theory guides? -shot- (They go together a lot for me!)

So, lighting + Color Theory guides? -shot- (They go together a lot for me!)
    Yes pleeeeeease. <3 That'd help me out as much as anyone else. XD

Yes pleeeeeease. <3 That'd help me out as much as anyone else. XD
    Any particular piece/s you want me to use as examples? Otherwise I'll pick random ones to illustrate whatever points. xD

Any particular piece/s you want me to use as examples? Otherwise I'll pick random ones to illustrate whatever points. xD
    Nah, go ahead with what you think works best! c: