Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    This really will help later when it comes to trying to make the comic! Any bit of help through a tutorial I'm glad to see. Trust me, I'm THAT BAD at making anything art related xD. So this guide makes it a little easier to understand. No garuntee it will help in the long run for me, but it's something really useful to go by later.

Really enjoyed it, Neko! Looking forward to more later on!
    Glad you enjoyed it! I plan on getting a few more soon. A lot of them will tie in with things to consider when scripting- so it all builds on the writing side of things as well as the art side. It's a weird medium to write for. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    I liked this guide! I've never done a comic before or thought of doing one really, but it was interesting to think how it would need to differ from writing a story, and is probably a good idea for people doing the Community Comic to read!

I found the examples really helpful in understanding how a script should be written, as well. Nice one, Neko! You're really good at writing tutorials! :) I hope you do more!
    Yup! Writing for a comic, TV, or movie is a lot different than a novel! You have to be able to communicate what you want the viewer to see to the other people working on the story (artist, cinematographer, etc.). You have to consider that you're using a visual medium where most of the information you give to the audience is either dialogue or in the art/scene. In a book you can write 'the curtains were blue' but you can't do that in visual mediums- you have to show it! And if blue curtains are important, you definitely need to say something in the script so the artist/set dresser includes it!

It's not AS big of a deal when you're the artists AND the writer, but it's still good to have it written down. I find I do better when I fully script than I do when I just jump in. xD

@Pokemon Trainer Sarah @Chakramaster

New guide up. This one is on layout/paneling/pacing.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Nice one Neko! I'd never even thought about this stuff before but seeing it written out makes so much sense! xD There are definitely a lot of good tips here! Making comics is way more complicated than I thought! xD I'll definitely appreciate them a lot more now haha.
    GCEA

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    Nice one Neko! I'd never even thought about this stuff before but seeing it written out makes so much sense! xD There are definitely a lot of good tips here! Making comics is way more complicated than I thought! xD I'll definitely appreciate them a lot more now haha.
    Comic making is a complicated pain in the butt. I say that from experience. Heck, I've broken most of these rules/guidelines at least once or twice in PRS by now. It took finding an awesome professional comic (MTMTE) that does most things so awesomely RIGHT and a few cinematography classes to realize how horrible most fan web-comics are in terms of visual storytelling. I still enjoy them, but my goodness, I can't look at them the same way.

Fun fact: Comics and Movies follow a LOT of the same rules. I think that's one reason the comic books translate better to movies than most novels. They're both expressed in visual mediums so it's an easier transition.

Updates to the Guide

- Added in a resources post above the first two guides. It currently includes some of the brush sets I use. I'll be adding links to guides and whatnot as I collect them.

Experienced Trainer pokemon trainer Felix's Avatar
    so is this still a thing or no?

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon trainer Felix View Post
    so is this still a thing or no?
    Yes. I haven't had time to write up another guide yet, but it is. People are always welcome to ask questions though.

In spirit of this week's challenge for PXFire's Comic section I'll be writing up another guide sometime this week on cinematography, camera shots, etc.