Thread: Don't Forget Me

Don't Forget Me

The following is an excerpt from my latest story in development titled "Syza"...
    Enjoy.

Throw me to the wolves and I'll return leading the pack...

And boy did he throw me.

What was it like? You know... being a human? By now, I had long forgotten. And it's not like I wanted to. I had to. Adaptation was the key to my survival. If I didn't move as they moved or did as they did, I would've been a corpse long ago. And who wants to be a corpse? I know I sure as hell didn't. So, I adapted.

Absol aren't the friendliest Pokemon either. In fact, they're quite aggressive in nature. A few nights ago, I found myself in need of a meal... and boy was it difficult to retrieve one. Every attempt I made to capture a stray Zigzagoon or a lonely, unsuspecting Minun was foiled by a fellow Absol from the Pack. And they were so unforgiving. "Survival of the Fittest" wasn't just a collection of tough words around here. It was a lifestyle... and if you didn't recognize that quickly enough, well... let's just say those that didn't weren't so lucky.

"Syza's back!"

Oh, how I hated to hear that...

Ryder had me under a microscope, or I was convinced he did at the very least. He never failed to announce my return from my evening hunts. I don't know why he did it. Jealousy, perhaps? I wasn't too shabby of a hunter. I caught on quite fast, so I would typically return with an unusual amount of prey. That, in and of itself, caught the attention of the Pack. They weren't too fond of my skills either. When I first arrived, they wasted no time in attempting to bully me out of my rewards. However, Ryder was quick to put an end to that. So, maybe it wasn't jealousy. Maybe he just enjoyed frustrating the hell out of me. I don't know.

"Really, Ry? Every night?"

Days turned into months and months into years. I had fully forgotten what it was to be a human. However, I was sure to never forget that I was one. I can't lie. I enjoyed being an Absol. While it had its negatives, it definitely had its positives as well. But I couldn't forget what he had done... how he destroyed my identity...

...my purpose...

I missed them... my family. My friends. I often wondered if they had missed me. The uncertainty was daunting. It killed me inside. I needed answers. I wanted answers.

And so I had decided.

It was answers I was going to get.
    τι ζωή

2. This post has been liked by:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Couldn't resist clicking on this title xD

Very interesting! I'm trying to figure out if this is a literal human running with a pack of Absol or a human turned into an Absol xD I'm figuring the latter. But why?!?! So many questions! Hope you post more soon!
    GCEA

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I actually thought this was a writing discussion thread, but instead I got instantly hooked into this interesting gem of a story and like Sarah, now I'm wondering what's going on here.

VERY captivating prologue you've got here! Anyone who has trouble hooking in readers could take a lesson from this!

Nicely written so far. O: I agree with the others; it was captivating and left me wanting more. I like the stylisation of using the silver/grey text, but it's also not too visible on light skins. xD So perhaps leaving the text uncoloured would be a good idea, but that's just a suggestion.

I like Syza's thoughts on the absol around him. It makes me also wonder about Ryder. At first he seemed like a bit of a bully, but he also seems to have a high rank in the pack. Maybe.

If you post more, I'll definitely read more. :D

Thank you all for your feedback. It's greatly appreciated and I look forward to sharing more of Syza with you in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    Couldn't resist clicking on this title xD

Very interesting! I'm trying to figure out if this is a literal human running with a pack of Absol or a human turned into an Absol xD I'm figuring the latter. But why?!?! So many questions! Hope you post more soon!
    I'm glad you found it interesting, Sarah. You're correct with your assumption. Syza is a human turned Absol. Why? Well, you'll just have to wait to find out!

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    I actually thought this was a writing discussion thread, but instead I got instantly hooked into this interesting gem of a story and like Sarah, now I'm wondering what's going on here.

VERY captivating prologue you've got here! Anyone who has trouble hooking in readers could take a lesson from this!
    Hey, I'm honored that you enjoyed it, Neo. I'm a HUGE fan of your The Trial of Juno series, so it's awesome to know that an exceptional writer like yourself is interested in what I have to offer.

I was extremely careful with this prologue. I wanted to make sure it was quick to the point and engaging, but also left readers hungry for more. I'm glad that it succeeding at serving it's purpose. I can't wait to share more of Syza in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    Nicely written so far. O: I agree with the others; it was captivating and left me wanting more. I like the stylisation of using the silver/grey text, but it's also not too visible on light skins. xD So perhaps leaving the text uncoloured would be a good idea, but that's just a suggestion.

I like Syza's thoughts on the absol around him. It makes me also wonder about Ryder. At first he seemed like a bit of a bully, but he also seems to have a high rank in the pack. Maybe.

If you post more, I'll definitely read more. :D
    Thanks for the compliment! I appreciate it!

It's funny that you mention the silver/grey text. I was actually conflicted on whether I should utilize it or not and ultimately decided to do so. However, I appreciate your feedback and will definitely experiment with other colors to make it easier on the eyes of readers.

And Ryder... yeah, he's quite the character. I can't wait to share more of him and the story of Syza in its entirety soon!
    Last edited by Soups; 01-26-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    τι ζωή

Senior Moderator

I too wonder how your hero became an Absol. Could he be on a Mystery Dungeon-esque adventure, or will his quest for answers be something totally different?
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldSky View Post
    I too wonder how your hero became an Absol. Could he be on a Mystery Dungeon-esque adventure, or will his quest for answers be something totally different?
    Who's to say that he's the hero?

I'm only kidding, of course. As to what awaits, you'll just have to wait and see!
    τι ζωή

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Thanks for the compliment! I appreciate it!

It's funny that you mention the silver/grey text. I was actually conflicted on whether I should utilize it or not and ultimately decided to do so. However, I appreciate your feedback and will definitely experiment with other colors to make it easier on the eyes of readers.

And Ryder... yeah, he's quite the character. I can't wait to share more of him and the story of Syza in its entirety soon!
    No worries. :D

Haha, it's good to try things out, though! It can also be quite effective.

Awesome. B) I can't wait to read more!

10. This post has been liked by:

Soups 

Reach for the Stars ~★ Chibi Altaria's Avatar
    I forgot to comment on this saying that I had actually read it (I kinda lurk around the Desk now lol), but I reeeeeeaaaally enjoyed it! And today I read you were going to release the story in full when it's complete? I love reading updates, and that makes me a bit antsy, but I'll gladly wait if it's as good as your excerpt. :D Well done!

12. This post has been liked by:

Soups 

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Latias View Post
    I forgot to comment on this saying that I had actually read it (I kinda lurk around the Desk now lol), but I reeeeeeaaaally enjoyed it! And today I read you were going to release the story in full when it's complete? I love reading updates, and that makes me a bit antsy, but I'll gladly wait if it's as good as your excerpt. :D Well done!
    You're awesome, thanks for reading!

I was originally going to release a chapter a week, but it's such a massive story, so I'd rather be careful with it, give it my full attention, and most importantly, take my time. Although... I could release maybe two chapters a week when it's complete. I don't know. I haven't thought that far. We'll see.

Anyways, thanks again!
    τι ζωή

14. This post has been liked by: