Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [Shiny hunting thread] Looking for those stars...

[Shiny hunting thread] Looking for those stars...

A Pokéfan is walking in a park when he sees a group of pigeons. They are all gray, except one, which is brown. The Pokéfan begins shouting : "Oh my God, shiny Starly !".

Hello everybody, welcome to this shiny hunting thread ! You can post here to describe your current hunt, to show your shinies, to explain shiny hunting methods...
    My current hunt is for Pansear and Panpour at Santalune Forest in X and Y, with the Repel Trick at level 4. I have already done 7000 encounters on this hunt and I don't have the Shiny Charm (yes, in 2017, there are still people who hunt on different versions than Sun and Moon, and even full-odds).
    Now it's your turn ! I hope you will enjoy this thread.
    Last edited by Cleobel; 01-06-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Special thanks to Fate for this cute avatar and this cute banner! :D
    Special thanks to N7 for this awesome Chikorita GIF! :D
    Part of the Sinjoh Duo with N7! :D

2. This post has been liked by:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

@Cleobel What is the repel trick?

I have only ever used the PokeRadar before in Diamond version. I only ever got one shiny from it (Shinx) with the help of a Pokemon with Static on one of the starting routes! Since then I haven't tried hunting shinies. I want to finish my Pokedex first! xD
    Last edited by Chakramaster; 02-22-2018 at 10:20 PM.
    GCEA

We actually have another thread just like this. Its always a great idea to get people talking.

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    @Cleobel What is the repel trick?

I have only ever used the PokeRadar before in Diamond version. I only ever got one shiny from it (Shinx) with the help of a Pokemon with Static on one of the starting routes! Since then I haven't tried hunting shinies. I want to finish my Pokedex first! xD
    In many areas of the Pokémon games (except Sun and Moon), wild Pokémon of different species don't appear at the same level. For example, in Santalune Forest, Pansage, Pansear and Panpour only appear at level 4, but there are Pokémon in this forest that appear at lower levels (2 or 3).
    The Repel Trick consists in using a Repel (or Super Repel, or Max Repel) when the first Pokémon of your party has a specific level (for example, 4 if you are hunting for the Unova's elemental monkeys at Santalune Forest ; don't forget to give a Smoke Ball to this Pokémon, so that it can flee without problems !). This level is always higher than the lowest level of the area, but lower than (or equal to) the highest level of the area.
    As a result, you won't encounter some Pokémon that normally appear in the area. That means that you will encounter less Pokémon (but you can correct that if the Pokémon in the first place of your party has the ability Illuminate, or if you use a White Flute or an Encounter Power), but that the encounter rate of each Pokémon of the area will change.
    For example, in Santalune Forest, the normal encounter rates are : 20% Weedle(X)/Caterpie(Y) ; 20% Scatterbug ; 10% Caterpie(X)/Weedle(Y) ; 10% Pansage ; 10% Pansear ; 10% Panpour ; 10% Fletchling ; 6% Pikachu ; 4% Kakuna(X)/Metapod(Y). But with the Repel Trick at level 4, the encounter rates (rounded to two digits after the decimal point) become : 22,22% Pansage ; 22,22% Pansear ; 22,22% Panpour ; 22,22% Fletchling ; 8,89% Kakuna(X)/Metapod(Y) ; 2,22% Pikachu.
    To conclude, here is another example. In Pattern Bush (Pokémon Firered and Leafgreen), the normal encounter rates are : 30% Spinarak(FR)/Ledyba(LG) ; 20% Kakuna(FR)/Metapod(LG) ; 20% Heracross ; 10% Caterpie ; 10% Weedle ; 5% Ledyba(FR)/Spinarak(LG) ; 5% Metapod(FR)/Kakuna(LG). But with the Repel Trick at level 15, the encounter rates become... 100% Heracross !

Congratulations for your shiny Shinx !
    I have already tried chaining with the Pokéradar in Pokémon Pearl, but my longest chain broke around 25 Voltorb (I can't check the exact number because it was on a save I have deleted). Anyway, now I usually do full-odds shiny hunting, so it doesn't matter.

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Cleobel View Post
    In many areas of the Pokémon games (except Sun and Moon), wild Pokémon of different species don't appear at the same level. For example, in Santalune Forest, Pansage, Pansear and Panpour only appear at level 4, but there are Pokémon in this forest that appear at lower levels (2 or 3).
    The Repel Trick consists in using a Repel (or Super Repel, or Max Repel) when the first Pokémon of your party has a specific level (for example, 4 if you are hunting for the Unova's elemental monkeys at Santalune Forest ; don't forget to give a Smoke Ball to this Pokémon, so that it can flee without problems !). This level is always higher than the lowest level of the area, but lower than (or equal to) the highest level of the area.
    As a result, you won't encounter some Pokémon that normally appear in the area. That means that you will encounter less Pokémon (but you can correct that if the Pokémon in the first place of your party has the ability Illuminate, or if you use a White Flute or an Encounter Power), but that the encounter rate of each Pokémon of the area will change.
    For example, in Santalune Forest, the normal encounter rates are : 20% Weedle(X)/Caterpie(Y) ; 20% Scatterbug ; 10% Caterpie(X)/Weedle(Y) ; 10% Pansage ; 10% Pansear ; 10% Panpour ; 10% Fletchling ; 6% Pikachu ; 4% Kakuna(X)/Metapod(Y). But with the Repel Trick at level 4, the encounter rates (rounded to two digits after the decimal point) become : 22,22% Pansage ; 22,22% Pansear ; 22,22% Panpour ; 22,22% Fletchling ; 8,89% Kakuna(X)/Metapod(Y) ; 2,22% Pikachu.
    To conclude, here is another example. In Pattern Bush (Pokémon Firered and Leafgreen), the normal encounter rates are : 30% Spinarak(FR)/Ledyba(LG) ; 20% Kakuna(FR)/Metapod(LG) ; 20% Heracross ; 10% Caterpie ; 10% Weedle ; 5% Ledyba(FR)/Spinarak(LG) ; 5% Metapod(FR)/Kakuna(LG). But with the Repel Trick at level 15, the encounter rates become... 100% Heracross !

Congratulations for your shiny Shinx !
    I have already tried chaining with the Pokéradar in Pokémon Pearl, but my longest chain broke around 25 Voltorb (I can't check the exact number because it was on a save I have deleted). Anyway, now I usually do full-odds shiny hunting, so it doesn't matter.
    Wow that is a really clever trick! I had never heard of it before!

What is your favourite shiny you have found so far? :)
    GCEA

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    Wow that is a really clever trick! I had never heard of it before!

What is your favourite shiny you have found so far? :)
    Yes, the Repel Trick is really clever and useful ! :)

My favourite shiny I have found so far is my shiny Ralts, as I explained in another thread :

- What is your favorite shiny Pokemon?

The evolution line of Ralts. Especially Gardevoir. On August 6, 2015, I found a shiny Ralts on Pokémon Firered after 3059 soft resets.
    A Ralts on Firered by soft resets ? Yes, it's possible with the method I have used. This method is related to the Pomeg Glitch of Pokémon Emerald, so you need both Emerald and Firered/Leafgreen/Ruby/Sapphire to use it. If you want more details, please don't hesitate to contact me.
    My shiny Ralts is a female and I named her Asymptote because I thought I would never find a shiny Ralts (I started hunting for a shiny Ralts in 2012 and I tried different methods before finding Asymptote in 2015).

Hello everybody! This weekend, I decided to continue my hunt at Santalune Forest and I have just reached 8200 encounters (i.e. more than the double of 4096). I hope I will find a shiny soon.
    And you, do you shiny hunt at the moment?

Hello everybody! I have just reached 10.000 encounters at Santalune Forest. According to you, how many encounters will I do before finding a shiny on this hunt?
    Last edited by Cleobel; 01-06-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Hello everybody! I have just reached 10.000 encounters at Santalune Forest. According to you, how many encounters will I do before finding a shiny on this hunt?
    Wow you're so patient! I will guess 10,568 encounters! I hope you find one soon! Good luck! :D
    GCEA

Thank you for your guess, @Pokemon Trainer Sarah! :D
    Last edited by Cleobel; 01-06-2018 at 02:40 PM.