Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

Dealing with a tutor at uni who is getting on my nerves a bit. I get the feeling she is a bit of a control freak.

Basically, I have two assignments due for uni, an exegetical essay and a tutorial paper, as well as a crap tonne of reading to catch up on. Essay is due April 26th (four days) and tutorial paper is due next Wednesday (nine days). I am fine with that. However the tutor for the unit with the tutorial paper is getting on my nerves a bit. I had a bad feeling about her first week, as she was explaining deeply her dislike of laptops in the classroom, and making it clear she didn't want us having them (there is no university policy banning them, and I do all my notetaking on google drive), and now she is doing something unusual. Essays are usually due at the end of semester. In this unit, it is due June 14. Plenty of time. Except she has said she wants a one page plan/outline of the essay emailed to her by April 26th. Whilst I can understand why she wants this, I have beef.

The way I see it, we are all adults at university. If we wanna leave something to the last minute we will. Fact is I have two other assessments due, as well as heaps of commitments outside of university, and now have to add this to the list, when it doesn't even get graded. That's right. It will make no difference if I submit it to her or not, except the fact she will pester me about it. Honestly, all she needs to do is deliver the lecture, answer any questions students may have during the tutorial, and grade papers. She doesn't need to be babysitting us and making sure we are starting this well in advance. I have gotten plenty of high marks on essays, all of which were started with less than two weeks to the due date, some less than one. I don't have time for this rubbish...

Quote Originally Posted by Desolate Divine View Post
    Dealing with a tutor at uni who is getting on my nerves a bit. I get the feeling she is a bit of a control freak.

Basically, I have two assignments due for uni, an exegetical essay and a tutorial paper, as well as a crap tonne of reading to catch up on. Essay is due April 26th (four days) and tutorial paper is due next Wednesday (nine days). I am fine with that. However the tutor for the unit with the tutorial paper is getting on my nerves a bit. I had a bad feeling about her first week, as she was explaining deeply her dislike of laptops in the classroom, and making it clear she didn't want us having them (there is no university policy banning them, and I do all my notetaking on google drive), and now she is doing something unusual. Essays are usually due at the end of semester. In this unit, it is due June 14. Plenty of time. Except she has said she wants a one page plan/outline of the essay emailed to her by April 26th. Whilst I can understand why she wants this, I have beef.

The way I see it, we are all adults at university. If we wanna leave something to the last minute we will. Fact is I have two other assessments due, as well as heaps of commitments outside of university, and now have to add this to the list, when it doesn't even get graded. That's right. It will make no difference if I submit it to her or not, except the fact she will pester me about it. Honestly, all she needs to do is deliver the lecture, answer any questions students may have during the tutorial, and grade papers. She doesn't need to be babysitting us and making sure we are starting this well in advance. I have gotten plenty of high marks on essays, all of which were started with less than two weeks to the due date, some less than one. I don't have time for this rubbish...
    Ooh yeah she does sound like a control freak. I agree; if you're not getting marked on it and it's uni, then why is she pushing it? It's your business to get it done, and she should know that you all have different classes that aren't just hers. Ugh. I hope you can get out of it.

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    Ooh yeah she does sound like a control freak. I agree; if you're not getting marked on it and it's uni, then why is she pushing it? It's your business to get it done, and she should know that you all have different classes that aren't just hers. Ugh. I hope you can get out of it.
    Some good news came this morning.

The other subject, the one where I need to do the exegesis, I had a look at what passages we could choose to base the essay from. One of them is in the same section of the same book (like, ten chapters apart) as one I did late last year. I still have all my background research written in my google drive, and all of the books I used were books I owned, which means that if I choose this one I will save six to eight hours in research alone, as well as will need to spend much less time at the library. From memory I did fairly well with that essay, so this is going to be great.

That being said I should be starting the essay today, but Captain Marvel leaves cinemas and I still haven't seen it and need to see it before I see Endgame... So... Priorities...

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

New method of ticking off my mom unlocked: doing the stuff she wants me to do before she tells me to do it
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    New method of ticking off my mom unlocked: doing the stuff she wants me to do before she tells me to do it
    Tell her that her human disguise doesn't work if she doesn't pretend to act like one, too. >;P

Don't really do this, we need you alive.

6. This post has been liked by:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Tell her that her human disguise doesn't work if she doesn't pretend to act like one, too. >;P

Don't really do this, we need you alive.
    Haha yeah no if she cut my allowance off for buying two t-shirts that she didn’t like she’d cut my head off if I said that.
    / / / / / / / /

Senior Administrator

Haha yeah no if she cut my allowance off for buying two t-shirts that she didn’t like she’d cut my head off if I said that.
    Oooh trust me, once you start getting your own paychecks, the allowance you had as a kid feels like dust and pocket lint in comparison. And no one decides how you spend that money except for YOU! It's wonderful, as long as you don't go too crazy and at least spend within your budget means.

But really, what's the point of her giving you an allowance at all if only she decides what you can do with it? Nothing she does makes any sense and it's like she just makes up the rules as she goes along and spins a wheel whenever she runs out of tryranical ideas to try out.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Oooh trust me, once you start getting your own paychecks, the allowance you had as a kid feels like dust and pocket lint in comparison. And no one decides how you spend that money except for YOU! It's wonderful, as long as you don't go too crazy and at least spend within your budget means.

But really, what's the point of her giving you an allowance at all if only she decides what you can do with it? Nothing she does makes any sense and it's like she just makes up the rules as she goes along and spins a wheel whenever she runs out of tryranical ideas to try out.
    See I'd love to get a paycheck except I've been forbidden to get a job. A paying one at least. Yippee.

Idk man because it makes her feel better? She literally used to yell at me for "not being able to dress myself" because I had a phase during high school where I got so tired of arguing with her about clothes I just let her pick them. But now that I've been independent thanks to college, internships, and study abroad, and am used to dressing myself, she yells at me saying I shouldn't pick out my own clothes! It's liike, which is it? Do I get to pick out my own outfits or not?
    / / / / / / / /

Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    Yikes, from everything you wrote, it sounds like she can't make up her mind as is just not making sense at all. It sounds like a 'control' thing. And you're not allowed to get a job? That's just ridiculous. Hopefully you don't have to put up with this stuff for a lot longer. DX

I also have a mini-rant. I've been getting these "you suck and your story is horrible" comments on Path of Destiny on another site. They're anonymous (wish I could turn that off...) so I can delete them so it's not a big deal, but why? It seems like the same person so if they hate it that much why are they focusing so much attention on it, I don't get it.

Senior Administrator

See I'd love to get a paycheck except I've been forbidden to get a job. A paying one at least. Yippee.

Idk man because it makes her feel better? She literally used to yell at me for "not being able to dress myself" because I had a phase during high school where I got so tired of arguing with her about clothes I just let her pick them. But now that I've been independent thanks to college, internships, and study abroad, and am used to dressing myself, she yells at me saying I shouldn't pick out my own clothes! It's liike, which is it? Do I get to pick out my own outfits or not?
    Wow. She's a complete control freak. Seriously, how are you supposed to move ahead in life without a job? Sounds like she just wants you to be her puppet until she bites the dust. So what's supposed to happen after college?

Holy cow, you're making me feel like I should drive down there and rescue you or something. Although she'd probably claim I kidnapped you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
    I also have a mini-rant. I've been getting these "you suck and your story is horrible" comments on Path of Destiny on another site. They're anonymous (wish I could turn that off...) so I can delete them so it's not a big deal, but why? It seems like the same person so if they hate it that much why are they focusing so much attention on it, I don't get it.
    Delete.

Or...

Sprinkle sarcasm all over that crap. Like "oh my goodness, please let me know your name and address so I can mail you a sympathy card! Sending you my thoughts and prayers!" Or "Thank you for your review, <Moron's name>! At Scytherwolf Inc., we value all feedback from all our readers, regardless of whether they're humans, drooling zombies, or mentally dereanged Neanderthals! Please continue to show your support and we hope you continue to be a loyal reviewer!" Or how about "Achievement Unlocked: Reaching the Top of Mount Nobody Gives a Crap! [100 Cool Points] Oh, you're well on your way to ruling the world now!" Or even "Yes, please keep pretending like you understand what's important! It really made my pet fruit fly giggle!"

Have fun with your prey. Savor the torment. Enjoy the memories. >:3