Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839
Results 381 to 389 of 389

Thread: "Today was a terrible day because..."

  1. #381
    Writing stories about bugs Scytherwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ant Island
    Posts
    1,565
    F*** it, time for another rant.

    I had another person interested in a large vaporeon plush I made ages ago (and tried to sell to three different people at three different times before, only to have them all back out). This new person saw my pic of those plush and asked if I could make them one, I said I already had one I could sell, and they were very interested.

    Everything seems fine at first, I just have to check shipping. $14. More than it was years ago, but there's not a single thing I can do about that. I tell them, they start telling me how that's so high and they have very little money, can I lower it, etc. I said fine, I'll pay half of of the shipping. Waiting for a reply. If that's not good enough, I'm just going to say sorry, but no sale.

    I'm just...really angry. Not even at that person specifically. But I just also did a very difficult commission (art, not plush) for somebody where I lowered the price a lot because they didn't have much money. I was trying to be nice but I'm so tired of trying to be nice.

    You know who also has very little money? Me. I'm already working way, way below minimum wage with these things, especially plushies. How much lower am I supposed to make them? I spend hours and hours on these. I lost my part time job earlier this year (the job which also screwed me out of a ton of money), and even before they screwed me over, I had to pay a lot of the money I made toward paying off a surgery I had and I just...I don't know. I can't even save much for the future (which I'm really worried about) and I'm tired of all these sob stories about not having money from people who want me to make stuff for them. If they don't have much money, they shouldn't be buying expensive commissions from people online. There's a ton of cool custom plush artists and digital artists that I really want commissions from. But I can't afford it, so I don't bother those artists. I just accept that I can't have it.

    I'm just so frustrated and I've got more people asking me for art commissions and if they try to make me lower the price, I've just gotta say no, I can't afford that. But I'm just so sick of people expecting me to do things for them that they would never do for me, especially if they're complete strangers.


  2. This post has been liked by:


  3. #382
    i love you, keep going ❤ roo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Ecruteak City
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
    F*** it, time for another rant.

    I had another person interested in a large vaporeon plush I made ages ago (and tried to sell to three different people at three different times before, only to have them all back out). This new person saw my pic of those plush and asked if I could make them one, I said I already had one I could sell, and they were very interested.

    Everything seems fine at first, I just have to check shipping. $14. More than it was years ago, but there's not a single thing I can do about that. I tell them, they start telling me how that's so high and they have very little money, can I lower it, etc. I said fine, I'll pay half of of the shipping. Waiting for a reply. If that's not good enough, I'm just going to say sorry, but no sale.

    I'm just...really angry. Not even at that person specifically. But I just also did a very difficult commission (art, not plush) for somebody where I lowered the price a lot because they didn't have much money. I was trying to be nice but I'm so tired of trying to be nice.

    You know who also has very little money? Me. I'm already working way, way below minimum wage with these things, especially plushies. How much lower am I supposed to make them? I spend hours and hours on these. I lost my part time job earlier this year (the job which also screwed me out of a ton of money), and even before they screwed me over, I had to pay a lot of the money I made toward paying off a surgery I had and I just...I don't know. I can't even save much for the future (which I'm really worried about) and I'm tired of all these sob stories about not having money from people who want me to make stuff for them. If they don't have much money, they shouldn't be buying expensive commissions from people online. There's a ton of cool custom plush artists and digital artists that I really want commissions from. But I can't afford it, so I don't bother those artists. I just accept that I can't have it.

    I'm just so frustrated and I've got more people asking me for art commissions and if they try to make me lower the price, I've just gotta say no, I can't afford that. But I'm just so sick of people expecting me to do things for them that they would never do for me, especially if they're complete strangers.
    gosh i feel you. sometimes the art community is just brutal. i definitely undersell my art and i've just give up at this point haha. don't let them get you down though. there's someone out there who will definitely pay full price for your plushes. they're great <3 its just a matter of time of waiting for the commissioner you know? :')

  4. #383
    Cheers and Good Times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    15,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
    I'm just so frustrated and I've got more people asking me for art commissions and if they try to make me lower the price, I've just gotta say no, I can't afford that. But I'm just so sick of people expecting me to do things for them that they would never do for me, especially if they're complete strangers.
    Bingo. If they can't afford it, they can't afford it. Plushies and other fun things like that are great, but they're not essential in life. We're not talking food, water, and shelter here. If they can't see the value in your work, then it's probably not a customer you want to work with.

    I've purchased a few custom kigurumis through Etsy and I can tell these poor shops have been burned by rotten customers in the past. Product pages with warnings in all caps, detailed notes and rationalization about why they can do or can't do certain things, and all kinds of other signs like deposit paying that make it clear they're on their guard about trusting who they're doing the stuff for. They must be outright SHOCKED when they get to me and I try to be as friendly as possible and pay everything up front as soon as I get the quote. And if it's too high, I just politely say thanks but it's a little too high and that's it. To me, I don't haggle because quite frankly, it seems terribly annoying to the shop owner and they've got other customers waiting. Their time is precious too and I respect that. I know it would drive me crazy to have long back and forward negotiations where the customer expects freebies and favors done just because they think they're a special snowflake, and if they don't get it, they continue to bother you or even do something morbidly stupid like report your shop. I hate to say it, but I've seen multiple really cool Etsy shops close down and I have a feeling garbage like this was the root cause of it.

    Still, stand your ground and be true to yourself. Your work is AMAZING and personally I would NEVER expect you to under-value it or put a price on something that you feel just isn't fair to yourself and the time, energy, skill, and material cost that goes into these fantastic creations of yours. And to me, I enjoy supporting independent shops and have gotten many really cool things from them over the years (I freaking LOVE this Emolga kigurumi I have!).

    I know what you're thinking and yes, you would totally nail me hook, line, and sinker with the prospect of a customized Emolga plushie. If and when the stuff on your plate clears up... feel free to reach out and we can talk about the one Pokémon that has a sheer talent at derailing my train of financial responsibility. XD

    Making it double with Caite-Chan!

  5. #384
    Quote Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
    F*** it, time for another rant.

    I had another person interested in a large vaporeon plush I made ages ago (and tried to sell to three different people at three different times before, only to have them all back out). This new person saw my pic of those plush and asked if I could make them one, I said I already had one I could sell, and they were very interested.

    Everything seems fine at first, I just have to check shipping. $14. More than it was years ago, but there's not a single thing I can do about that. I tell them, they start telling me how that's so high and they have very little money, can I lower it, etc. I said fine, I'll pay half of of the shipping. Waiting for a reply. If that's not good enough, I'm just going to say sorry, but no sale.

    it could've been the high shipping cost the buyer was concerned about, NOT YOUR ART. so you could have had the option for the buyer to pick up the item ( hopefully they weren't trying to make you feel bad ) because you are a great artist Scytherwolf, PM when you get a chance to so i can see some of your art that you are selling


    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Bingo. If they can't afford it, they can't afford it. Plushies and other fun things like that are great, but they're not essential in life. We're not talking food, water, and shelter here. If they can't see the value in your work, then it's probably not a customer you want to work with.

    I've purchased a few custom kigurumis through Etsy and I can tell these poor shops have been burned by rotten customers in the past. Product pages with warnings in all caps, detailed notes and rationalization about why they can do or can't do certain things, and all kinds of other signs like deposit paying that make it clear they're on their guard about trusting who they're doing the stuff for. They must be outright SHOCKED when they get to me and I try to be as friendly as possible and pay everything up front as soon as I get the quote. And if it's too high, I just politely say thanks but it's a little too high and that's it. To me, I don't haggle because quite frankly, it seems terribly annoying to the shop owner and they've got other customers waiting. Their time is precious too and I respect that. I know it would drive me crazy to have long back and forward negotiations where the customer expects freebies and favors done just because they think they're a special snowflake, and if they don't get it, they continue to bother you or even do something morbidly stupid like report your shop. I hate to say it, but I've seen multiple really cool Etsy shops close down and I have a feeling garbage like this was the root cause of it.

    Still, stand your ground and be true to yourself. Your work is AMAZING and personally I would NEVER expect you to under-value it or put a price on something that you feel just isn't fair to yourself and the time, energy, skill, and material cost that goes into these fantastic creations of yours. And to me, I enjoy supporting independent shops and have gotten many really cool things from them over the years (I freaking LOVE this Emolga kigurumi I have!).

    I know what you're thinking and yes, you would totally nail me hook, line, and sinker with the prospect of a customized Emolga plushie. If and when the stuff on your plate clears up... feel free to reach out and we can talk about the one Pokémon that has a sheer talent at derailing my train of financial responsibility. XD
    also Neo Emolga has a point @Scytherwolf that you as a artist needs to receive a decent amount for the plush you create ( with the key factors being. cost for materials, the time & effort you put in, quality of the art ( and i'm guessing the art is amazing quality ), etc


    if you're selling art on Etsy i would like to look at your awesome art if there's a link

  6. #385
    Writing stories about bugs Scytherwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ant Island
    Posts
    1,565
    Quote Originally Posted by roo View Post
    gosh i feel you. sometimes the art community is just brutal. i definitely undersell my art and i've just give up at this point haha. don't let them get you down though. there's someone out there who will definitely pay full price for your plushes. they're great <3 its just a matter of time of waiting for the commissioner you know? :')
    Yeah, I'm so sick of this and kind of just want to say screw it. And I know good people are out there, because I've had good experiences before, I've just had a long string of crappy ones where I have to help pay for someone's luxury item from me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Bingo. If they can't afford it, they can't afford it. Plushies and other fun things like that are great, but they're not essential in life. We're not talking food, water, and shelter here. If they can't see the value in your work, then it's probably not a customer you want to work with.

    I've purchased a few custom kigurumis through Etsy and I can tell these poor shops have been burned by rotten customers in the past. Product pages with warnings in all caps, detailed notes and rationalization about why they can do or can't do certain things, and all kinds of other signs like deposit paying that make it clear they're on their guard about trusting who they're doing the stuff for. They must be outright SHOCKED when they get to me and I try to be as friendly as possible and pay everything up front as soon as I get the quote. And if it's too high, I just politely say thanks but it's a little too high and that's it. To me, I don't haggle because quite frankly, it seems terribly annoying to the shop owner and they've got other customers waiting. Their time is precious too and I respect that. I know it would drive me crazy to have long back and forward negotiations where the customer expects freebies and favors done just because they think they're a special snowflake, and if they don't get it, they continue to bother you or even do something morbidly stupid like report your shop. I hate to say it, but I've seen multiple really cool Etsy shops close down and I have a feeling garbage like this was the root cause of it.

    Still, stand your ground and be true to yourself. Your work is AMAZING and personally I would NEVER expect you to under-value it or put a price on something that you feel just isn't fair to yourself and the time, energy, skill, and material cost that goes into these fantastic creations of yours. And to me, I enjoy supporting independent shops and have gotten many really cool things from them over the years (I freaking LOVE this Emolga kigurumi I have!).

    I know what you're thinking and yes, you would totally nail me hook, line, and sinker with the prospect of a customized Emolga plushie. If and when the stuff on your plate clears up... feel free to reach out and we can talk about the one Pokémon that has a sheer talent at derailing my train of financial responsibility. XD
    Yes, exactly. I'm not their only source of food or something. If they want a plushie that bad, go to a toy store. It won't be what they want, but it'll be cheap.

    Yeah, I have an etsy shop (need to renew my listings though) and no real bad experiences there, but I haven't sold much either and all this stuff scares me.

    But just...WHY? Why is my time not worth the money? These people would be super upset if they walked into work and their boss said "sorry, I'll have to pay you less this week because I'm short on money. You still have to work just as hard and just as long though." That's pretty much what they're doing to me except I'm already working well below minimum wage even without lowering my prices.

    Yeah, I will stand up to these people from now on. And thank you, I'm really glad you understand this!

    Also I would absolutely trust you as a commissioner. Maybe this can be done sometime!

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt25 View Post
    it could've been the high shipping cost the buyer was concerned about, NOT YOUR ART. so you could have had the option for the buyer to pick up the item ( hopefully they weren't trying to make you feel bad ) because you are a great artist Scytherwolf, PM when you get a chance to so i can see some of your art that you are selling




    also Neo Emolga has a point @Scytherwolf that you as a artist needs to receive a decent amount for the plush you create ( with the key factors being. cost for materials, the time & effort you put in, quality of the art ( and i'm guessing the art is amazing quality ), etc


    if you're selling art on Etsy i would like to look at your awesome art if there's a link
    Unfortunately, they can't pick it up as they live a looooong way away from me. But yeah, I can show you my art sometime. ^^

    I do have an etsy shop, but like I said I need to relist some things. XD It's here!

    Also update, the plush buyer (grudgingly) agreed to me paying half shipping, still complaining it was "too expensive." I DON'T CONTROL SHIPPING COSTS. And it's a BIG plush.

    They said they'll pay later this month, but if takes too long I'm just gonna say, "Sorry, need to sell soon" and put it on Etsy. I've had so many bad experiences with "holding" plush for people, only for them to never ever pay.


  7. This post has been liked by:


  8. #386
    To Me, My X-Men HorusMyDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    150
    Yikes, it seems like they're really trying to undersell you :( Don't be afraid to be a bit ruthless about it if the person doesn't send you the money. Business is business, after all. Plus, a new buyer might pay the shipping fees by themselves.

  9. #387
    Writing stories about bugs Scytherwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ant Island
    Posts
    1,565
    Quote Originally Posted by HorusMyDude View Post
    Yikes, it seems like they're really trying to undersell you :( Don't be afraid to be a bit ruthless about it if the person doesn't send you the money. Business is business, after all. Plus, a new buyer might pay the shipping fees by themselves.
    Yep. :c And yeah, if they don't pay later this month, I'll find a new buyer. I'm really tired of all this. I don't get to buy cool expensive plushies from people because I don't have much money, so it's hard to feel sorry for these people after all the work I put in making my own plushies.


  10. #388
    To Me, My X-Men HorusMyDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    150
    Honestly DON'T feel sorry about it. You need money, and you want to make this sale, but don't be afraid to put your foot down just because someone doesn't want to pay all of it, y'know? You know the worth of what you do. You're the one who made the time to put this plushie all together.

    On another note, I saw your Etsy account and the cube Eeveelutions give me life

  11. #389
    Writing stories about bugs Scytherwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Ant Island
    Posts
    1,565
    Quote Originally Posted by HorusMyDude View Post
    Honestly DON'T feel sorry about it. You need money, and you want to make this sale, but don't be afraid to put your foot down just because someone doesn't want to pay all of it, y'know? You know the worth of what you do. You're the one who made the time to put this plushie all together.

    On another note, I saw your Etsy account and the cube Eeveelutions give me life
    Thanks, and yeah I definitely agree. This will be the last time I lower the price on something.

    Glad you like the plushies. XD I have a few more I need to put back up.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •