Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    Well the thing is, I'm not out to them. They don't know. So to made a long story short, I got re-elected to student senate. And the committee I got put on this year is the Inclusion & Equity committee, whose purpose is to ensure everyone from all walks of life feels welcome and is treated fairly on campus. It's a really cool committee that, for example, during the height of the Muslim Travel Ban in the US started a still running program called "Meet Your Muslim Neighbor" where the Muslim Student Association on campus twice a month hands out donuts around campus and lets people come talk and meet with Muslim students. However, it is also colloquially known as the Gay Committee by people who don't support it. They see it as just a committee that is for gay people by gay people, which is actually quite far from the truth. Well, when my parents found out I was part of this committee, they were so angry. I'll spar you the whole conversation but they were accusing me of being gay like it was a bad thing and saying that this is why no one wants to date me and that I was being unjustly punished. My dad, one of the nicest men I know and my role model for years, even cracked a joke saying I should have an event that welcomes gays... into a church. Except he did not use the word gay. He used something much more derogatory. And hearing that come out of his mouth gave me whiplash. And it's especially hard because I actually really want to be a part of this committee since part of my re-election campaign was to make people feel welcome and equal on campus, no matter what. So to hear the, be so mad about it, especially since I'm gay, hurts.

Nope. Not a thing. The charger seems to be working fine for now and I ordered a new one to get here sometime next week just to be safe. But the necklace is just gone. I kept the string it was on since she left that part of the necklace (nothing else), and since it was a custom style necklace I'm going to try and make a new one. But it's heartbreaking because that necklace was a gift. And, quite candidly, I'd feel guilty if she got fired over it even if she's breaking my things. I can afford to get new ones, but since I don't know her financial situation, I don't want to cause her to lose her house or something.
    Yeah neither was I to my parents when they used to make comments like that. But jeeez, what your dad said is horrible. I just don't understand how it's a problem. Ignorance at its finest. It sounds like an awesome committee! What a lovely thing to do! I hate when people take something positive and kind and spit on it because they have a random, unfounded hatred for it. Just let everyone else be? >.> *hugs* I hope that one day, they grow a heart.

That's so freaking weird. Well she did stuff like that intentionally so she deserves consequences. Obviously not something super serious like lose her house. xD But like...that's theft. And destruction of your property. What is her problem?

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    Yeah neither was I to my parents when they used to make comments like that. But jeeez, what your dad said is horrible. I just don't understand how it's a problem. Ignorance at its finest. It sounds like an awesome committee! What a lovely thing to do! I hate when people take something positive and kind and spit on it because they have a random, unfounded hatred for it. Just let everyone else be? >.> *hugs* I hope that one day, they grow a heart.

That's so freaking weird. Well she did stuff like that intentionally so she deserves consequences. Obviously not something super serious like lose her house. xD But like...that's theft. And destruction of your property. What is her problem?
    It's the deep south of America unfortunately. These types of attitude are prevalent everywhere. And they don't like that I'm tolerant of people of all walks of life. Stuff I've done on campus like worked to get Halal food options into our dining halls and such has been met with comments like "well you're more tolerant of them than I am", when to me making those efforts made perfect sense because people are required to live on campus their first year and required to buy a certain level of a meal plan that costs thousands of dollars, so it's not fair to these students if they're having to pay this but then can't eat any of the food. But to my parents that's just the person's own fault for being Muslim and they should have to deal with the consequences of that religion. It'd be like me being punished for being Catholic by the dining halls serving only meat on Fridays during Lent and then being told since I choose to be Catholic I just have to deal with it. That's just ridiculous to me. And it's just so baffling cause while my mom is eh, my dad normally is a very very nice man. Just... never with stuff like this.

Well I can't prove she did it intentionally since I wasn't there when she did it. Sure the charger started malfunctioning after she forcibly stuffed it underneath a bunch of stuff under my bed, but maybe she didn't realize it'd damage the charger. And with my necklace, one could argue it's possible the necklace got broken on accident, and she decided saving the stones wasn't worth trying to pick them out from the broken glass shards. The thing that grates me about the second one is that she still has yet to apologize for it. That has made me almost report her. But either way it matters little now since my only proof is the string at this point since the broken bottle, the glass shards, and the gemstones are all gone.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Administrator

Well the thing is, I'm not out to them. They don't know. So to made a long story short, I got re-elected to student senate. And the committee I got put on this year is the Inclusion & Equity committee, whose purpose is to ensure everyone from all walks of life feels welcome and is treated fairly on campus. It's a really cool committee that, for example, during the height of the Muslim Travel Ban in the US started a still running program called "Meet Your Muslim Neighbor" where the Muslim Student Association on campus twice a month hands out donuts around campus and lets people come talk and meet with Muslim students. However, it is also colloquially known as the Gay Committee by people who don't support it. They see it as just a committee that is for gay people by gay people, which is actually quite far from the truth. Well, when my parents found out I was part of this committee, they were so angry. I'll spar you the whole conversation but they were accusing me of being gay like it was a bad thing and saying that this is why no one wants to date me and that I was being unjustly punished. My dad, one of the nicest men I know and my role model for years, even cracked a joke saying I should have an event that welcomes gays... into a church. Except he did not use the word gay. He used something much more derogatory. And hearing that come out of his mouth gave me whiplash. And it's especially hard because I actually really want to be a part of this committee since part of my re-election campaign was to make people feel welcome and equal on campus, no matter what. So to hear the, be so mad about it, especially since I'm gay, hurts.

Nope. Not a thing. The charger seems to be working fine for now and I ordered a new one to get here sometime next week just to be safe. But the necklace is just gone. I kept the string it was on since she left that part of the necklace (nothing else), and since it was a custom style necklace I'm going to try and make a new one. But it's heartbreaking because that necklace was a gift. And, quite candidly, I'd feel guilty if she got fired over it even if she's breaking my things. I can afford to get new ones, but since I don't know her financial situation, I don't want to cause her to lose her house or something.
    I gotta comment on this here. Being someone that likes to help and be there for others myself. That's not fair or right to you and your choices. It shouldn't matter whether you are yourself or not. They should be PROUD of you for standing up to help make the community around you feel much safer and well appreciated. It's what can help us all understand each other better and overall make the world a better place. My parents are kinda like that too. Not too accepting of anyone gay, trans, homo, etc. My mom especially always brings up Bible talk when they do. Thing is, you don't have to be a part of it. If they say they are, more power to them. That's just who they are and they should feel PROUD to come out and accept that. It's a small part of what makes them who they are. I'm one of those that accepts them and welcome them to stand up for what they believe in. Sure I may not celebrate it, but I 100% accept it because it's what they want, believe, and accept themselves. More power to you Sloane! Stand up for what's right!

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    Sometimes I forget my parents are homophobes. I always get whiplash when they make homophobic comments.

Also the house keeper broke one of my necklaces and threw/stole the precious stones inside as well as possibly my computer charger.
    Dang, that's awful. I can't believe people are still saying crap like that now. Well, I can believe it, unfortunately. From your other comments here, I think you are doing a great thing!

Aww noooo...I'm sorry about the necklace. I understand not wanting to get them in trouble, though. :c

It's the deep south of America unfortunately. These types of attitude are prevalent everywhere. And they don't like that I'm tolerant of people of all walks of life. Stuff I've done on campus like worked to get Halal food options into our dining halls and such has been met with comments like "well you're more tolerant of them than I am", when to me making those efforts made perfect sense because people are required to live on campus their first year and required to buy a certain level of a meal plan that costs thousands of dollars, so it's not fair to these students if they're having to pay this but then can't eat any of the food. But to my parents that's just the person's own fault for being Muslim and they should have to deal with the consequences of that religion. It'd be like me being punished for being Catholic by the dining halls serving only meat on Fridays during Lent and then being told since I choose to be Catholic I just have to deal with it. That's just ridiculous to me. And it's just so baffling cause while my mom is eh, my dad normally is a very very nice man. Just... never with stuff like this.

Well I can't prove she did it intentionally since I wasn't there when she did it. Sure the charger started malfunctioning after she forcibly stuffed it underneath a bunch of stuff under my bed, but maybe she didn't realize it'd damage the charger. And with my necklace, one could argue it's possible the necklace got broken on accident, and she decided saving the stones wasn't worth trying to pick them out from the broken glass shards. The thing that grates me about the second one is that she still has yet to apologize for it. That has made me almost report her. But either way it matters little now since my only proof is the string at this point since the broken bottle, the glass shards, and the gemstones are all gone.
    Yeesh. I know we were super behind with marriage equality and a bunch of other stuff, but I guess it's a lot more rare to encounter people with those types of attitudes where I live. Maybe I'm just not exposed to it, but at my old job I was out to everyone and nobody had a problem with it. I mean, I wouldn't go telling customers because there's no point, but yeah, all my coworkers thought it was great or just didn't care. xD It scares me that there is still that really strong prejudice in places where people should know better.

I can't believe she didn't apologise! That would really piss me off as well. Sucks that you can't really do anything. =/ Have you brought it up with her?

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Yeesh. I know we were super behind with marriage equality and a bunch of other stuff, but I guess it's a lot more rare to encounter people with those types of attitudes where I live. Maybe I'm just not exposed to it, but at my old job I was out to everyone and nobody had a problem with it. I mean, I wouldn't go telling customers because there's no point, but yeah, all my coworkers thought it was great or just didn't care. xD It scares me that there is still that really strong prejudice in places where people should know better.

I can't believe she didn't apologise! That would really piss me off as well. Sucks that you can't really do anything. =/ Have you brought it up with her?
    Yeah I think it moreso has to do with where I live? For reference, my college is in the county that had the highest percentage of Trump voters in the nation in 2016 (or so I've been told). And my family lives in the county right next to that. So I'm not in a really uh... welcoming environment? But that's partly why I like being on this committee, because I can help make people who want to go to college in such a hostile environment feel like they're welcome! I already have friends and such and I'm confident enough in my identity that even though I probably won't come out to my friends, they're so nice and supportive that if I ever did, I know they'd accept me no issues. But it's taken me two to three years in college alone to get to this point, and I know what it's like to struggle until you get there. So I want to make it easier for everyone. I've already left my mark on campus once, but I want to continue those efforts to see if I can leave more.

Yeahhhh I am still miffed that she wouldn't apologize. But I'm too confrontation shy to bring it up to her. I really don't like picking fights with people unless someone provokes me because it'll cause my anxiety to flare up hard. So I've like tried to talk to her about it, but I end up chickening out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
    Dang, that's awful. I can't believe people are still saying crap like that now. Well, I can believe it, unfortunately. From your other comments here, I think you are doing a great thing!

Aww noooo...I'm sorry about the necklace. I understand not wanting to get them in trouble, though. :c
    Yeahh like I said, it's the Deep South. I'm always surprised but I really shouldn't be given where I live. Which is part of why I'm so excited to be part of this committee! Because I can help change that! Or at least make some sort of impact in the general right direction.

Yeah I think I can make a new one that's similar enough and at the very least the broken necklace's twin is safe, so if there's any consolation, that'd be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chakramaster View Post
    I gotta comment on this here. Being someone that likes to help and be there for others myself. That's not fair or right to you and your choices. It shouldn't matter whether you are yourself or not. They should be PROUD of you for standing up to help make the community around you feel much safer and well appreciated. It's what can help us all understand each other better and overall make the world a better place. My parents are kinda like that too. Not too accepting of anyone gay, trans, homo, etc. My mom especially always brings up Bible talk when they do. Thing is, you don't have to be a part of it. If they say they are, more power to them. That's just who they are and they should feel PROUD to come out and accept that. It's a small part of what makes them who they are. I'm one of those that accepts them and welcome them to stand up for what they believe in. Sure I may not celebrate it, but I 100% accept it because it's what they want, believe, and accept themselves. More power to you Sloane! Stand up for what's right!
    Yeah I mean it just blows my mind that they try to use the Bible against them because the only real anti-gay stuff that I know of from the Bible is Sodom and Gamora in the Old Testament, and there's a whole series of counter arguments I could get into there. But you know what there's plenty of in the Bible? Verses upon verses of telling you to be nice and not judge people. Let you who have not sinned cast the first stone, treat others as you want to be treated, etc. Heck, Pope Francis even said that people in the LGBT community are children of God too and should be treated as such regardless of what you think of them. Even if I wasn't gay, I'd still treat them with respect. I do for people who are Islamic or Buddhist or anything else. I feel like they should be proud I'm doing God's work by being nice to people and showing them his light through my actions. Heck, if they really believe being gay is wrong, why wouldn't they want that Christian influence there to "show them the light". It makes perfect sense even from a skewed and incorrect perspective! And yet, here we are.
    / / / / / / / /

Yeah I think it moreso has to do with where I live? For reference, my college is in the county that had the highest percentage of Trump voters in the nation in 2016 (or so I've been told). And my family lives in the county right next to that. So I'm not in a really uh... welcoming environment? But that's partly why I like being on this committee, because I can help make people who want to go to college in such a hostile environment feel like they're welcome! I already have friends and such and I'm confident enough in my identity that even though I probably won't come out to my friends, they're so nice and supportive that if I ever did, I know they'd accept me no issues. But it's taken me two to three years in college alone to get to this point, and I know what it's like to struggle until you get there. So I want to make it easier for everyone. I've already left my mark on campus once, but I want to continue those efforts to see if I can leave more.

Yeahhhh I am still miffed that she wouldn't apologize. But I'm too confrontation shy to bring it up to her. I really don't like picking fights with people unless someone provokes me because it'll cause my anxiety to flare up hard. So I've like tried to talk to her about it, but I end up chickening out in the end.
    Oof...big oof. I see what you mean. Dx That's fair enough. I think you're doing a great thing for a lot of people! It's a shame that your parents aren't proud of you for, you know, being an awesome human to other humans. It's definitely something they should be proud of you for.

Ohh yeah I understand you there. I'm very non-confrontational as well. Conflict gives me mad anxiety. xD Damn...is there anyone else who could talk to her for you? I mean even "Hey my friend mentioned this thing went missing...did you see it?" I don't know. Seems a little hopeless. D:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Oof...big oof. I see what you mean. Dx That's fair enough. I think you're doing a great thing for a lot of people! It's a shame that your parents aren't proud of you for, you know, being an awesome human to other humans. It's definitely something they should be proud of you for.

Ohh yeah I understand you there. I'm very non-confrontational as well. Conflict gives me mad anxiety. xD Damn...is there anyone else who could talk to her for you? I mean even "Hey my friend mentioned this thing went missing...did you see it?" I don't know. Seems a little hopeless. D:
    Yeah I’m not gonna let it get me down. I’m gonna do some good and no one’s gonna stop me!

My roommate, bless her heart, offered to but I told her not to bother. It’s not worth it even if the necklace was sentimental. It’s long gone.
    / / / / / / / /

9. This post has been liked by:

Yeahh like I said, it's the Deep South. I'm always surprised but I really shouldn't be given where I live. Which is part of why I'm so excited to be part of this committee! Because I can help change that! Or at least make some sort of impact in the general right direction.

Yeah I think I can make a new one that's similar enough and at the very least the broken necklace's twin is safe, so if there's any consolation, that'd be it.
    Yeah, that makes sense. DX And yeah, I agree! You're doing something great for people!

Aww yeah, at least you can make another one! Still sad that the first one's gone though. :c

11. This post has been liked by:

Just feeling kind of stressed out/down about my writing. A few people have commented about Path of Destiny having a ton of characters in the main group (and yes, that is true). The people were super polite about it and I'm not mad at them or anything, plus I know they enjoy the story.

This, plus the occasional rant I read on the Fanfiction subreddit I'm on where people talk about extremely long stories that get too big and convoluted and just fall apart, is just making me discouraged. Like there are a lot of people who think it can't be done or something. (Though I know it's probably not 'a lot.') Before reading these things I was super excited about my plan for Path of Destiny and everything, but eh, now when I look at that document I keep thinking of how much people are/will be disappointed.

I have other stories to work on, so I'm focusing on those now, but I don't know. I just wish sometimes that people didn't have such high expectations of me. That I could just write my ridiculous stories with all their silly flaws and have fun without worrying about this stuff. I've thought about no longer posting my writing online but I just don't want to stop. I LOVE interacting with people through creative stuff. I don't want that to end.

I don't know.