Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    This is so stupid. The fan made things aren't copying official things or trying to pass them off as official, they're creating something new that wouldn't be available otherwise.

2. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
    Mainly what I'm referring to is their takedowns of...various fan-made, completely non-for-profit things. :\ I guess this was a bad thread to mention that in since RB does, indeed, profit off of these things. And the artists.
    Yeah RB takes responsibility for profiting in the same way Napster back in the day did when downloads were questioned.

Proud partner with @Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Spoiler:

Gible bite's Comic

GCEA Trainer Links based on title characters

....GCEA Diamond/Platnium/ Blizard Blue/Platnium 2/ Pokemon Prism.......

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Scytherwolf View Post
    This is so stupid. The fan made things aren't copying official things or trying to pass them off as official, they're creating something new that wouldn't be available otherwise.
    SOOOOO MUUUUUUCCCHHHH THISSSSSSSSS!!! >:(

I really don't get NINTENDO'S WAR ON FANS. Seriously, that's exactly what this is and I see everyone hating them for it. Sorry Nintendo, but take a look at what you can buy on Etsy and take a look at what you can buy at Pokémon Center. Wowee, big differences! 99% of the stuff on Etsy is stuff that simply isn't offered for sale anywhere else.

Nintendo, I love your games and franchises, but I raise a high double-birdie to your legal team. As a marketing MBA and someone who has studied reputation management, this will HURT you, not help you. :C Sony and Microsoft are licking their chops at this...

5. This post has been liked by:

The applause, applause, applause~ MC Elesa's Avatar
    Editor-in-Chief

Senior Administrator

To be honest, I think this is perfectly fine. It is Pokemon (and Nintendo's) right to defend their properties and that includes people taking their materials and selling it as their own.

I think this is especially true when people are using the sprites that Pokemon made and put them in romhacks then profiting of it. In this case, people are taking the official art and putting them on shirts. Literally in the shirts being pictured in this article there is cover art from Japanese Pokemon Crystal, the official Play! Pokemon logo, Pokemon GO assets, and sprite assets from Pokemon RBY. All things that were made by Pokemon and simply put on a shirt.

So basically you are paying money for somebody who just got the rips from the official games and put it on a shirt with no money going to the original artist which in this case is Pokemon. Even worst, based on the picture above, you are paying over 30 dollars for a shirt where a guy took official assets from Pokemon and put it on a shirt where not a single dime is going to Pokemon.

Now, the shirts that use original art are perfectly fine. There may be a gray area in using the characters but they seem worth buying from fans. I would love to buy the Mimiyku shirt if it was better priced.

There are my two cents.
    Currently Playing: "CHRISTMAS!!!!"

By Neo Emolga

7. This post has been liked by:

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MC Elesa View Post
    To be honest, I think this is perfectly fine. It is Pokemon (and Nintendo's) right to defend their properties and that includes people taking their materials and selling it as their own.

I think this is especially true when people are using the sprites that Pokemon made and put them in romhacks then profiting of it. In this case, people are taking the official art and putting them on shirts. Literally in the shirts being pictured in this article there is cover art from Japanese Pokemon Crystal, the official Play! Pokemon logo, Pokemon GO assets, and sprite assets from Pokemon RBY. All things that were made by Pokemon and simply put on a shirt.

So basically you are paying money for somebody who just got the rips from the official games and put it on a shirt with no money going to the original artist which in this case is Pokemon. Even worst, based on the picture above, you are paying over 30 dollars for a shirt where a guy took official assets from Pokemon and put it on a shirt where not a single dime is going to Pokemon.

Now, the shirts that use original art are perfectly fine. There may be a gray area in using the characters but they seem worth buying from fans. I would love to buy the Mimiyku shirt if it was better priced.

There are my two cents.
    Yeah, but they also shut down Pokémon Uranium which was a harmless fan game spinoff that was made entirely to be shared and be for free. The Pokémon-themed party at PAX is another example where even after the party was canceled, Nintendo felt that wasn't enough and got a little more greedy for reimbursement for "damage" (yeah, what kind of damage?).

That's too extreme. They're literally punishing their fans for enjoying their franchise and making their own fan works for it to share with others, which are things Nintendo refuses to do on their own.

The thing is, Nintendo would go after people that do their own original art also and put that on a t-shirt. For them, it's like a witch hunt. :\

9. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Yeah, but they also shut down Pokémon Uranium which was a harmless fan game spinoff that was made entirely to be shared and be for free. The Pokémon-themed party at PAX is another example where even after the party was canceled, Nintendo felt that wasn't enough and got a little more greedy for reimbursement for "damage" (yeah, what kind of damage?).

That's too extreme. They're literally punishing their fans for enjoying their franchise and making their own fan works for it to share with others, which are things Nintendo refuses to do on their own.

The thing is, Nintendo would go after people that do their own original art also and put that on a t-shirt. For them, it's like a witch hunt. :\
    THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

I also agree with Mikey in the sense that blatantly ripping assets and profitting from them should indeed be a no-go.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

11. This post has been liked by:

Are you kidding me, this is ridiculous. I mean, maybe if they'd have asked permission to use Pokemon on their shirts, it would have gone okay, but still?

Quote Originally Posted by Palamon View Post
    Are you kidding me, this is ridiculous. I mean, maybe if they'd have asked permission to use Pokemon on their shirts, it would have gone okay, but still?
    Nah, it wouldn't have. Nintendo would have just ignored them, most likely. Or outright refused.

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

14. This post has been liked by: