Thread: Voice Actors

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Voice Actors

Do you ever recognize voice actors when watching anime? Generally because I watch anime in Japanese, no, but there are a select few times where I have recognized the voice actor. More commonly though, I recognize them in English because they usually have the same voice actors for most of the characters. Travis Willingham is a great example of this. Best known for his role as Roy Mustang in Full Metal Alchemist (and Brotherhood), he's also voiced Ace from One Piece, Kanda from D. Gray Man, Mori from OHSHC, several digimon from the various series, Thor is a ton of Disney animation stuff, and more.

I think my favorite cases of "spot the voice actor" are the most recent Japanese voice actor case I had and the most recent (and mentally scarring) English voice actor I spotted.

So to start, I recently binged both seasons of Noragami, and from the start, this character named Kazuma bugged me. Not like the character itself, but just like, something about him bothered me. It wasn't until I was trying to fall asleep after binging the whole second season that it hit me. I knew that voice actor! That was Yukio Okumura from Blue Exorcist! After further research I confirmed they did indeed have the same voice, and what's worse, the two are like carbon copies of one another personality and appearance wise. It's like the meme "Hey can I copy your homework?" "Yeah just change it a little so it doesn't look the same." That's exactly what happened here! It totally blew my mind!

The second case is the most recent English dub. This was a bit mentally scarring and let's just say I can never watch Yuri!!! on Ice in English ever again. So a friend of mine calls me and asks me to watch some Yuri!!! on Ice with her. She's just starting to get into anime and even though I had already watched the entire series as it was coming out, I decided to oblige and watch it with her. So we're watching episode 2 and as soon as Viktor speaks, I freeze. My friend can't figure out what's wrong but all I can see is him, Claire Stanfield. For those of you that have watched Baccano! you can understand why I'd freak out a little. The two are so drastically different in personality that hearing Claire Stanfield speaking in a poorly done Russian accent sent off all kinds of flares. I mean, I love both characters but I will never see Viktor the same again.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

For me, usually it's with animated movies like the ones by Pixar and Dreamworks. Sometimes it becomes a fun game where you hear a familiar voice and you're like "I've heard that voice before, but where is it from!?" And if you can't guess, thankfully there's Google to clear it up. XD

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    For me, usually it's with animated movies like the ones by Pixar and Dreamworks. Sometimes it becomes a fun game where you hear a familiar voice and you're like "I've heard that voice before, but where is it from!?" And if you can't guess, thankfully there's Google to clear it up. XD
    I know for many Pixar fans there's a guy who has voiced a character in every Pixar movie and it's a treasure hunt to see if you can spot him. John Ratzenberger I think.
    / / / / / / / /

I don't watch a lotta anime, but I'm never too good with recognizing voices.

The only one I think I can recognize all the time is probably Laura Bailey. Because she's in everything. Especially video games, and especially RPGs. But I'm not complaining, 'cause she's good in everything she does. Saw a YouTube clip of a Dragon Ball Z scene once and this super minor character spoke and I was like, "...Laura Bailey, you're here, too? (Of course you are.) /googles"

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fate View Post
    I don't watch a lotta anime, but I'm never too good with recognizing voices.

The only one I think I can recognize all the time is probably Laura Bailey. Because she's in everything. Especially video games, and especially RPGs. But I'm not complaining, 'cause she's good in everything she does. Saw a YouTube clip of a Dragon Ball Z scene once and this super minor character spoke and I was like, "...Laura Bailey, you're here, too? (Of course you are.) /googles"
    Oh yeah! She's the wife of the dude I referenced in the first post. It's a common joke for fans of the Fullmetal Alchemist franchise that it must be awkward for them since Travis's character actually incinerated Laura's in Brotherhood.
    / / / / / / / /

You rang?!

Yeah I most often than not recognise some voice actor from somewhere. Especially my favourite ones. It began long ago with good old Tara Strong, who has done a plethora of cartoon characters from Raven (Teen Titans), Timmy (Fairly Odd Parents), Twilight Sparkle (MLP), and tonnes more. She's also what sort of got me interested in voice acting! Mostly these days I recognise people from games since I play games more than I watch cartoons or anime. There have been many awesome cases where I've recognised voice actors in things like how a voice actor in the Mass Effect series does the voice of a really cool character, then I found out that she also voiced Juhani in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, which I played after Mass Effect even though KOTOR was, like, 2001, and she also plays the Wanderer (player character if you're female) in Fallout 4.

And yes, Laura Bailey as well. xD She's in, like, every anime. And Johnny Young Bosche was another guy I recognised from multiple anime. Steve Blum, too.

I love recognising voice actors. It's my favourite thing. xD The most recent was recognising Ashly Burch's (from Hey Ash Whatcha Playin' on Youtube) voice in Horizon: Zero Dawn after she did Chloe in Life Is Strange. One day, I hope people recognise my voice across franchises. :,)

Senior Moderator

Ayy, Baccano is like one of my favorite animes, along with Cowboy Bebop and Monster. (Oh Johan you crazy bastard)

I can recognize Steven Blum everytime. That level of gruff is unparalleled. He is everywhere.

·»Your focus determines your reality«·

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Fire View Post
    I can recognize Steven Blum everytime. That level of gruff is unparalleled. He is everywhere.
    I looooove his voice! It's very unique.

Unbowed, unbent, unbroken Homura's Avatar
    I can't tell usually. Like I really can't tell that Chloe von Einzbern (Fate/Kalied Liner Prisma Ilya), Hitagi Senjougahara (Monogatari), Jennifer (Disgaea), Anita King (from Read or Die), Rebecca (Pani Poni Dash), Aoi (Dangan Ronpa), Taokaka (Blazeblue), Kotori (Rewrite), Tamamo no Mae (Fate/Extra, Fate/Grand Order), Aika (Aria) and Akemi Homura are the same voice actor.

Well ok except Hitagi and Homura. I can recognize it's the same person.
    What is happiness?
    It's being called by someone
    It's being able to call someone
    It's when someone is thinking of you
    But Heaven has none of this
    A lizard girl took pity on God
    So the lizard girl tore God in two and brought a half from Heaven to Earth