Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
    So how exactly are we going to tally up points? It seems like this event focuses on the effort of the individual WITH the team, rather than the effort of the individual as basically being the same entity as the team, which I like a lot. It's good we're giving points to even those that don't make it in the top 3, that way to promote participation. Plus, if we at least give everyone a chance to score, an individual's points will still add up even if they don't win which could give them a serious edge. Which is awesome!
    It really is awesome. There's literally no way to NOT gain points for your team, which is great because it definitely promotes participation. No one will feel left out and I think that was one of the more sizable bridges that PXR was trying to figure out how to cross.
    τι ζωή

2. This post has been liked by:

Maybe we could make a 2-point system.

There are "medal" points for winning 1st 2nd 3rd for a week,

and there are "team points" based on how many team members actually participate in the various activities.

Then the points could be tallied separately, giving teams two ways to win. Tat way it doesn't become too unbalanced by the people who are good across the board, like it was in WAR.

VPP

4. This post has been liked by:

Soups 

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
    So how exactly are we going to tally up points? It seems like this event focuses on the effort of the individual WITH the team, rather than the effort of the individual as basically being the same entity as the team, which I like a lot. It's good we're giving points to even those that don't make it in the top 3, that way to promote participation. Plus, if we at least give everyone a chance to score, an individual's points will still add up even if they don't win which could give them a serious edge. Which is awesome!
    Points work a little differently this time around. Here, judges get 100 points to award, distributed among ALL entries however they choose, but unlike before, every entry will be getting at least some measure of that. So let's say I'm judging fan fiction and there's six submissions. The entries I think are the best will get more points than the ones that I think could have been a bit better. But overall, the awarding of points will look something like this example:

ENTRY 1: 28 Points (a VERY good submission)
    ENTRY 2: 23 Points (Good)
    ENTRY 3: 18 Points
    ENTRY 4: 15 Points
    ENTRY 5: 10 Points (could have been better)
    ENTRY 6: 6 Points (really not great at all)
    TOTAL = 100

This is just an example and I'm sure there will be lots of variances depending on how the judge exactly wants to handle this. Personally, I don't see myself handing out points less than 10 too often, but it's up to the discretion of the judge. Still, even if you had a really bad entry, YOU STILL GET SOMETHING! Unlike before where you got nothing at all if you just couldn't break into the top three. And if you were constantly up against powerhouse players, it was awfully discouraging and resulted in people not even wanting to bother. But here, you get at LEAST SOMETHING just for TRYING. That's a big difference from what the WAR did.

Bear in mind, Nekomata was really the one who came up with this idea and I kind of tweaked it around a bit by bumping up the points awarded to a much higher number so judges have more room to work with. I think it could work pretty well and it should encourage a lot more people to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by Morzone View Post
    Maybe we could make a 2-point system.

There are "medal" points for winning 1st 2nd 3rd for a week,

and there are "team points" based on how many team members actually participate in the various activities.

Then the points could be tallied separately, giving teams two ways to win. Tat way it doesn't become too unbalanced by the people who are good across the board, like it was in WAR.
    I would say just stick to one. My thing with this is it kind of deviates from why we changed the point system in the first place. Second, two scoring systems = a LOT more work for judges. That's hard because it already takes time to review and grade submissions.

And that's another thing we'd like to see as well. Judges need to justify awarded points with at least some feedback for every entry. Not "results: Submission A - 3 Points, B - 2 Points, C - 1 Points, have a nice day." There's got to be something that explains that and why the judge felt Submission A was better than B and so on. We're not asking for a huge narrative about every bitty detail, but at least a good paragraph of explanation is important.

6. This post has been liked by:

Soups 

Senior Moderator

Off to make a WAR gfx theme! Stoked, like, totally stoked fam. This is gonna be legen-wait for it and i hope you are not lactose intolerate because the last part is-dary! Legendary!

·»Your focus determines your reality«·

8. This post has been liked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    I would say just stick to one. My thing with this is it kind of deviates from why we changed the point system in the first place. Second, two scoring systems = a LOT more work for judges. That's hard because it already takes time to review and grade submissions.

And that's another thing we'd like to see as well. Judges need to justify awarded points with at least some feedback for every entry. Not "results: Submission A - 3 Points, B - 2 Points, C - 1 Points, have a nice day." There's got to be something that explains that and why the judge felt Submission A was better than B and so on. We're not asking for a huge narrative about every bitty detail, but at least a good paragraph of explanation is important.
    I didn't mean 2 winners for each catagory, I meant over all.

For instance if in drawing Team A won first, Team B won second and team C won third, they would then in turn get one "gold" one "silver" and "bronze" point. Over the four weeks The team would count up how many gold/silver/bronze points they have, then combine them for an "medal victory" (I can't think of a better name) so that a team wins PXFIRE by being the team that placed most in the top 3 across the board.

On the other hand, say Team A only had one person participate in drawing, while Team B had 3 and Team C had four. For every person they would get one "team point" or "participation point" per week. Then at the end of the four weeks the teams would tally up their participation points and whichever had the most would be the "activity winner" for successfully getting the most people to do the most things. (encouraging people to try new things.

This wouldn't put any real extra stress on the judges at all since the "medal" points are already just the same method as picking top 3 winners
    for each category, while participation is just counting how many people per team put in an entry that week.

VPP

10. This post has been liked by:

Soups 

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    I agree. It wouldn't hurt to have some form of feedback from judges. You'd be able to understand what you did well and figure out where you can improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Morzone View Post
    I didn't mean 2 winners for each catagory, I meant over all.

For instance if in drawing Team A won first, Team B won second and team C won third, they would then in turn get one "gold" one "silver" and "bronze" point. Over the four weeks The team would count up how many gold/silver/bronze points they have, then combine them for an "medal victory" (I can't think of a better name) so that a team wins PXFIRE by being the team that placed most in the top 3 across the board.

On the other hand, say Team A only had one person participate in drawing, while Team B had 3 and Team C had four. For every person they would get one "team point" or "participation point" per week. Then at the end of the four weeks the teams would tally up their participation points and whichever had the most would be the "activity winner" for successfully getting the most people to do the most things. (encouraging people to try new things.

This wouldn't put any real extra stress on the judges at all since the "medal" points are already just the same method as picking top 3 winners
    for each category, while participation is just counting how many people per team put in an entry that week.
    I think I understand where you're coming from. Although you'd already be receiving points for participating, you're saying that there should be a some type of participation award given at the conclusion of PXFIRE. That would encourage teams to encourage its members to participate in the given challenges rather than simply relying on members to participate. However, I'm assuming that if you sign up for PXFIRE, you're probably going to participate regardless. xD
    τι ζωή

Quote Originally Posted by Born View Post
    I agree. It wouldn't hurt to have some form of feedback from judges. You'd be able to understand what you did well and figure out where you can improve.

I think I understand where you're coming from. Although you'd already be receiving points for participating, you're saying that there should be a some type of participation award given at the conclusion of PXFIRE. That would encourage teams to encourage its members to participate in the given challenges rather than simply relying on members to participate. However, I'm assuming that if you sign up for PXFIRE, you're probably going to participate regardless. xD
    I'm pretty sure feedback from Judges was already a thing in WAR. At least it was in the drawing section.

It would be pretty safe to assume if you sign up you'll participate, but it also incorporates people's ability to become engaged in new areas. I mean, HKim Invited me to Join WAR even before I knew PXR was a thing. As such they increased player activity and would've gotten more participation points for their team. Or on the other hand someone might convince me to attempt Digital art even though i usually prefer traditional art. It expands people's horizons and engages them in activities they might not have done otherwise.

VPP

13. This post has been liked by:

Soups 

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I like your idea @Morzone, but maybe instead of being related to the overall points, there can be participation medals that individuals can earn by joining in events. Each event would have a different one and you could collect them in your postbit. That might encourage people to want to try all the different events at least once! Whoever gets all the medals at the end can get a token as well! What do you think?

While I want everyone to participate as much as possible, I also wouldn't want people to feel pressured to join in things if they really don't want to. If its an individual thing they might feel less pressure than if they had to join in to help their team get points. (The way judging is set up already rewards teams for participating since everyone gets at least 1 point for entering anyway) Even though we are going to try and make teams have equal numbers of people, there's no guarantee they will all be as active as each other.
    GCEA

15. This post has been liked by:

Soups 

Yeah...I'm not a big fan of that specifically being the point system. It sounds like judges will be worrying more about just doing the correct math and making sure things add up depending on hypothetical values, such as number of participants...and that really takes away from the experience. If a judge has 100 points PER event or even per week just doesnt make any sense for those who find it more logical to use a rubric system

If I'm understanding correctly based on Neo's post, I believe this kind of system in particular will do nothing other than confuse judges.

Yeah...alr8ght. So I re read it. This would greatly interfere with any judges that want to use a rubric system, which especially in regards to art I feel is the most efficient way to do it so that the entrants actually learn what they did right and wrong, yes?

It would make more sense to have a fixed number of points per person per challenge / week. 4 weeks? How about 20 points per person per week?

Greninja: Axibians | Gengar: Speed's ORAS Emporium! | Malamar: Picarto | Roserade: Speed's Pixel Cluster | Gliscor: ASB Stats | Tentacruel: Pokemon Prism Stats | Drapion: VPP Stats | Mega Sableye: Recolored Shiny XYORAS Icon Sprites | Flygon: URPG Stats | Snivy: Viridian Reference | Treecko: Link Vault | Shiny Whismur: All shiny Pokemon
    Pfp by my friend Muerte Verde
    ------------

Username: Spiderc

What does your schedule look like from now until the end of July? Other than a day here or there, I'm completely open until July. Unfortunately I'm traveling the first week of July, but then I'll be free the rest of the month after that.

What is the best quality you think you can bring to the planning team? I'm not the most creative person but I'm always happy to help with organizing, brainstorming, and helping to refine ideas to help figure out the best possible implementation. I don't expect this to be in demand, but if you guys need a simplish webapp or something for one of the events, I'd be more than willing to make it and host it on my website if needed.

Do you intend to apply for/are you interested in judging any of the events listed above? Possibly Showdown, but because of the time I'm out of town that I mentioned, I would need someone else to co-judge with assuming that Showdown will be an event for the entire month.