Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

PXFIRE Planning General Chat

Hey guys! After discussing with the other admins, we thought it might be cool to have a planning council, rather than just having a couple of people help out!

So welcome @EmeraldSky, @LKWayvern, @Born, @Caite-chan, @Morzone, @Spiderc, @Speed-X and @Sacred Fire! This forum is only visible to you guys and to the admins.

In this forum we can plan out exactly how this event will work. Feel free to make new threads if you come up with something you'd like to discuss or an idea you had, as then it won't get lost in this general chat thread!

If you're not sure how to help then just post around in here and give us your ideas and opinions! Later on we can delegate specific tasks to people, once we get to that point :)

@Neo Emolga, @Suicune's Fire and I will have the final say on stuff if it ever gets to that point, but we hope that we can all discuss things and come up with a plan together. :D To get us started, here is a list of things we need to sort out. We are aiming to hold this event sometime in JULY.

Here is a brief to do list to give us some idea of where to get started. Feel free to post if you'd like me to add something to it! (I will probably get Caite to help with organising this list and keeping track of our ideas! xD)

THINGS TO DO
    • Finalise rules
      • Team rules
      • Judging/scoring rules for each event
      • Rewards for participating
      • Any other rules
    • Determine which events are included
      • Finalise list of major events
      • Come up with participation only events and how they will work
      • Potential team event?
    • Organise judging
      • Hold judge sign-ups
      • Select judges
      • Have judges submit their theme/challenges for each week of the event before PXFIRE begins
    • Create official threads
      • Rules thread
      • Participant sign-up thread
      • Judge sign-up thread
      • Scoring thread
      • One thread for each event

And here is the original proposal:
    Spoiler:

GOALS
    • An event that everyone can participate in, but
    • Maintain a level of competitiveness which drives activity
    • Improve forum activity without draining everyone for the next 3 months XD

TIMELINE
    4 weeks of events. Different challenges may last for more than 1 week.
    To occur in July

TEAMS
    • Individuals sign up for PXFIRE and state which sections they are likely to participate in.
    • At the end of sign ups, members are distributed semi-randomly into teams with an effort made to spread skill among the different sections.
    • Where possible, each team will have the same number of members.
    • Each team will have a leader and possibly coleader. Those interested in leading a team can indicate this on their sign up form. Team leaders will be chosen by the PXFIRE leaders.
    • Once members are assigned to a team, the team works together to develop a name and theme. The leaders will be in charge of pulling it together and making sure their team is ready by the start date.
    • Members who join after PXFIRE begins will be assigned randomly to a team, keeping the numbers as even as possible.

SECTIONS
    • Challenges from the following sections will be included: drawing, graphic art, spriting, roleplaying, creative writing, comics, showdown battling, humour.
    • Additional, random pop-up challenges offering only participation prizes may also be offered, such as puzzles or games.
    • Some sections may run multiple challenges throughout the 3-4 week period and some may have only one challenge, etc.

JUDGING
    • Judges should provide feedback to all participants after each challenge and must have a clear grading rubric.
    • Judges will be assigned 100 points to distribute among the entries, with the best entry receiving the biggest share of points, etc. Each entry must receive at least 1 point, but it is otherwise up to the judge to distribute.
    • Judging could potentially include other awards such as "people's choice", "most improved", etc.that do not give out any points, but that members can vote on as an extra thing so more people can get recognition.
    • Judges cannot participate in their section, but will receive points for submitting their judging each week in a timely manner.
    • Judges should submit their 4 week plan for their section (number of challenges, what each challenge is) before PXFIRE begins.

Feel free to chat in here about whatever! But if you'd like to bring up a major discussion/idea please do post a new thread. We can use this whole board 8D
    GCEA

2. This post has been liked by:

Woo let's get this party started.

I think the listed events (drawing, graphic art, spriting, roleplaying, creative writing, comics, showdown battling, humour.) are enough for the individual major events. Though if others can think of more and think they can get judges for them then I'll probably be fine with that too.

For participation...

I figured we could keep track of how many entries individual people do across the competition, (1 participation point per entry) then add them up at the end to find: Top 3 Most active overall, as well as a top 3 most active for each team (possibly the team ones might exclude the ones that win over all so that it's not the same people over again)

Team event...
    I'd honestly love to see a team event, but I'm stuck on trying to think of something that would really require several people to work on it together to make it come out well :/

Maybe we could have have them write a "team story" that has to involve some direct representation of each team member in a major-ish part. That way whoever does the writing has to co-ordinate with their team members to think up a story and figure out how each member wants to be represented. I literally thought of this as I was typing that I was stuck on ideas
    Last edited by Morzone; 05-16-2017 at 02:42 AM.

VPP

Senior Moderator

I really really want to incorporate Gotta Watch'em All into this, but don't know how to go about it--ideas?

If I can't work in GWEA, I can always help plan and judge writing challenges
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldSky View Post
    I really really want to incorporate Gotta Watch'em All into this, but don't know how to go about it--ideas?

I'm the same way with VPP as you get them but posting.
    VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]

How would you turn watching the episodes into a measurable, point-giving system? Seeing how many episode a person can watch in a set time period isn't plausible since the judge can't actually tell if they've watched them or are just making it up.

The only thing I could see working is if the judge gave them a set number of certain episodes, then had then do some kind of project/quiz/something else based directly one the given episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Caite-chan View Post
    I'm the same way with VPP as you get them but posting.
    Err... what is VPP? I feel like I should know but I'm afraid I don't.

VPP

Hey thanks for the invite to help with the planning, I have a habit of lurking more than posting (as is evident by my post count), but I'll be sure to pitch in if I have any ideas. Similarly, if anyone needs focused feedback on something, just let me know and I'd happy to help.

The one idea that I had was for a minor team event between each of the teams, so AvB, AvC, and BvC. A while back I made a simple webapp for playing the board game Codenames online that my friends and I have had a lot of fun with. Organizing people to play as a group might be an issue though since I know we have people across all timezones and the game doesn't really work as a play by post game (although I guess it could). The rules for the game are here and my webapp is here. If people are interested, I could easily add some Pokemon word lists for us to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Morzone View Post
    How would you turn watching the episodes into a measurable, point-giving system? Seeing how many episode a person can watch in a set time period isn't plausible since the judge can't actually tell if they've watched them or are just making it up.

The only thing I could see working is if the judge gave them a set number of certain episodes, then had then do some kind of project/quiz/something else based directly one the given episodes.

Err... what is VPP? I feel like I should know but I'm afraid I don't.
    You can find everything about VPP HERE
    VPP: Arcanine @ 6,700

Pre'paired' for trouble with Neo Emolga!
    [ URPG Stats | VPP Stats | Living Shiny Dex (548) ]

Senior Moderator

This was the main idea I had in mind--use the trivia parts of the episodes' Bulbapedia pages to create a quiz, and when the episode ended, test their memory of the episode to see who was actually paying attention.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

As I have said, the Showdown section of PXR is basically dead, I really hope this sparks up something, though the depending on when stalkers ends, i may have time to do a Mini-Event for some Showdown fun. I'll start taggin everyone.

At first, i was thinking random battles would be kinda fun to have; BUT, Random Battles are not fair when someone can have a legendary up against a Weedle.

·»Your focus determines your reality«·

Quote Originally Posted by Morzone View Post
    For participation...

I figured we could keep track of how many entries individual people do across the competition, (1 participation point per entry) then add them up at the end to find: Top 3 Most active overall, as well as a top 3 most active for each team (possibly the team ones might exclude the ones that win over all so that it's not the same people over again)
    Hm... Since judges will already be busy enough rewarding points as is, maybe Participation Points could be something that the teams themselves do. For example, if John from Team A enters Creative Writing during Week 1 and doesn't rack end up racking up too many points, he'll still be rewarded by his team for participation. At the end of PXFIRE, teams could reward certain awards such as Team MVP, Unsung Hero, Funniest Member, Most Creative Member, etc. I don't know. It's just thought!

This was the main idea I had in mind--use the trivia parts of the episodes' Bulbapedia pages to create a quiz, and when the episode ended, test their memory of the episode to see who was actually paying attention.
    I've never participated in GWEA, so I'm not too sure how it works. However, I'm assuming the challenge is to watch a certain episode - or certain episodes - and you'll quiz those who watched afterward, correct? If that's the case, wouldn't be easy to cheat? I'm not saying that anyone will, but there's no way of knowing who did and didn't. Again, I'm not well-versed on GWEA, so maybe I'm missing something, and if I am, don't mind me. xD
    τι ζωή