Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: TEAM A!

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The Nonexistent Tazz View Post
    There seems to be an unintentional double-post.

That aside, I'll be completely honest. I cannot read the glowing pink text over the harsh green white-and-black contrast and the background looks grainy with the random green pixels, so it actually looks kind of bright and ugly. I think it can be refined a lot better. You could probably make the green background generally darker and have a lot less color variance; it'll make the text and the animated sprites stand out more. A shot of a pile of leaves will do nicely, I think.

I'm not really an art person but that's my take.
    There's been quite the lag on the site lately that's most likely why. I'm not the only person to have accidentally double posted today.

I wasn't aiming for legible, I was going for stylistic. I can read it just fine but to be fair I stared at it for about four hours so I can probably notice the details you can't because I was working on it for so long. I tried other patterns first, including nature shots such as flowers, leaves, etc. and none of them fit very well with the style of the banner. So I opted for some patterns instead.

If you really hate it that much I'll try to change up the patterns but be aware that every change warrants about 30 minutes of work on my end due to the inclusion of animations. They can be very picky when it comes to those bottom layers. I'm not Neo, I'm not an expert. I'm very limited in my capabilities so just bear with me and be a bit nicer next time. It's not exactly uplifting on my end when one of my teammates refers to something I spent most of my night on ugly. Really makes me not want to do anything for you if you don't even care to put some sort of compliment in. Your phrasing makes it sound like you don't appreciate the time and effort I went through to make this.

So here how's this. Since I like mine, and there's ten of us in total, I'll just make nine more versions of the banner and upload them as I go. Depending on how fickle the layers decide to be, if I get them done quickly enough that I'll have them done before you see this post. I'll upload the finished ones as I go.

Spoiler:

Still not satisfied? That's fine, I guess. Just let me know what you'd rather have and I'll do my best when it's not nearly 1 AM.
    Last edited by Noblejanobii; 06-23-2017 at 04:51 PM.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

2. This post has been liked by:

ERROR! DOES NOT EXIST! The Nonexistent Tazz's Avatar
    As I said, I'm not artistically inclined-definitely not enough to know how much time this stuff takes at all. Forgive me if I sounded rather rude about it. I'm not the kind to sugarcoat my words, and telling you where you went wrong will help you avoid mistakes in the future.

I would say the others are much better, especially the fourth. I wish I had more specific critique but I can't say I'm an art person, again. I can say that they're all a lot easier on the eyes in comparison to the first; the white glow on the middle of the larger chunks of green made it kind of hard to look at and obscured the text, so with that taken out it's much easier to see and thus makes everything blend together smoother.

Avatar by the incredibly awesome Neo Emolga.

Zigzagoon: Hatch @8,669; Linoone @ Level 100: 8,829

My VPP Stats! - My Prism Stats! - My URPG Stats!
    BEHOLD THEM AND DESPAIR!!

GUITAR WARROIR! medeleymedeleymedeleyMOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Ooh nice work Noble! I found the text on the first one a little hard to read but this batch is way easier! Text is hard and it doesn't help that Shaymin's colours, pink and green, don't show up that well on each other in general. I love the new ones, especially the second one in that spoiler! Nice work with the animations! Animating stuff drives me crazy, it must have taken ages! xD

Woohoo go team!
    GCEA

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    Ooh nice work Noble! I found the text on the first one a little hard to read but this batch is way easier! Text is hard and it doesn't help that Shaymin's colours, pink and green, don't show up that well on each other in general. I love the new ones, especially the second one in that spoiler! Nice work with the animations! Animating stuff drives me crazy, it must have taken ages! xD

Woohoo go team!
    Yeah I tried throwing some darker reds into the outer glow and drop shadows initially to make it stand out some but like I said I was going for more stylistic than legibility. Though I'm glad you like them. The initial thing took roughly four hours, mainly because I made the painful mistake of adding in the animations too early. And while that probably was a good idea to make a stylish banner that matched them, probably was not the best when it came to altering things all the time since animations are so finicky. And when you're dealing with nearly 300 frames... yikes. There is an error in the last four that I'll correct later then I have the time but I have to get ready for some stuff so it may not be today? Depends. But thanks again! I'm glad you liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nonexistent Tazz View Post
    As I said, I'm not artistically inclined-definitely not enough to know how much time this stuff takes at all. Forgive me if I sounded rather rude about it. I'm not the kind to sugarcoat my words, and telling you where you went wrong will help you avoid mistakes in the future.

I would say the others are much better, especially the fourth. I wish I had more specific critique but I can't say I'm an art person, again. I can say that they're all a lot easier on the eyes in comparison to the first; the white glow on the middle of the larger chunks of green made it kind of hard to look at and obscured the text, so with that taken out it's much easier to see and thus makes everything blend together smoother.
    You can ask Neo, if you wish for a more professional opinion, but he and I will both tell you that animations are very fickle beings. They require hours of work, and actually because I was working on quickly last night to get these done, the animation in the last four banners is messed up. I noticed last night but at that point it was nearly 2 AM and I wasn't really in the mood to fix it. I plan to address it when I get the chance today. I am dealing with a little less than 300 frames of animations, and an error in one of those frames can screw up the entire animation, which is exactly what has happened in the final four banners. One maybe two of the frames is screwed up so I'm going to have to address it.

Good. I'm glad they pleased you. I still think the first one is the best of the bunch but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Feel free to pick whichever one looks the best and use it, but if it's one of the bottom four be sure to let me know so I can tag you when the updated non-glitchy version is fixed. I'll update them in the spoiler tags as they come and as soon as Shurikan gets the thread up I'll put them in there as well.

EDIT: Figured out the source of the issue. I've fixed one of the animations but need to leave for work soon. Will try to fix the others when I can.

EDIT 2: all the banners have been fixed and should no longer flash. If you see a flash, do let me know so I can fix it.
    Last edited by Noblejanobii; 06-23-2017 at 04:49 PM.
    / / / / / / / /

"I was stupid... So stupid"
    Ok, I've posted the team thread. I would have added more, but my mind's gone blank and it's getting late, so feel free to change anything you want with it. (Or just throw it out and start again. I probably would :P)

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Shruikan View Post
    Ok, I've posted the team thread. I would have added more, but my mind's gone blank and it's getting late, so feel free to change anything you want with it. (Or just throw it out and start again. I probably would :P)
    It's a good start! I'll look into seeing how we can spruce it up a bit in a little while.
    / / / / / / / /