Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

PXFIRE Graphic Art

GRAPHIC ART

If you love putting together avatars and signatures, you've come to the right place! Welcome to PXFIRE's Graphic Art section! Submit an entry that fits the theme in order to earn points for your team!

Rules
    1. Entries must be your own work and made during the week of the event. You can't use something you've made previously.
    2. Entries may be made using official and fan artwork, images, brushes, fonts, patterns, etc. not made by you, but please post credit when submitting your entry if credit is required by the person who made the stuff you're using.
    3. Entries should be made digitally using any software you like. Photoshop is most commonly used, but if you don't have it, you can try a free program such as GIMP.
    4. Everyone who submits an entry will receive at least 1 point, provided the rules above are followed. PXFIRE points will be distributed based on the judging criteria below.

Judging Criteria
    Use of colour (/10):
    Do the colours match nicely? Does everything show up well against each other?

Use of text (/10):
    Was a fitting font chosen? Is the text legible and is it incorporated into the piece rather than looking like it's pasted on top.

NEW! Technique (/10):
    Your use of graphic art techniques and skills such as using brushes and gradients, drawing vectors, editing images etc. to make a cohesive entry!

Matching the theme (/10):
    How well does this piece match the theme? Are all required elements included?

Overall composition (/20):
    How does the piece look overall? How do all of the elements work together? Is the eye drawn to the right parts of the artwork and is there a clear flow/direction? How much do I love it? :D

WEEK 2 THEME
    Spoiler:

Create a poster for your team! The poster should be a recruitment/advertising poster incorporating the theme of your team but you have creative freedom to expand on that theme or take only a part of it if you wish.

Rules:
    The size can be as large as you like but no smaller than 600x800. You can do a portrait or landscape one. It needs to be a rectangle though
    Include your team's name
    Include a slogan for your team (official or a new one made up by you)
    Include some sort of logo or graphic for your team (The logo may incorporate/be the team name and therefore count for both requirements if you wish, or it may just be an image like PXR's Pokeballs logo)
    You may use any images (fanart or official art) you like but make sure you post links to any images/graphics you use that aren't made by you (excluding vector shapes and stuff), so I can see if you have edited them or how you've used them
    You can use any brushes, fonts, vector shapes, etc. that you like

Examples: (You don't have to follow any of these styles, this is just the kind of thing I mean)
    http://net-recruit.co.uk/wp-content/...uperheroes.png
    http://www.navsource.org/archives/fe...s/3g07710r.jpg
    https://marketplace.canva.com/MAB2-v...AB2-v4tg9c.jpg
    https://www.maf-uk.org/sites/default...t%20poster.jpg

Entry Form
    Poster link:
    Poster title:
    Image credits:
    -
    -
    -

WEEK 3 THEME
    It's week 3 so let's do a triptych. What is that, you might ask?

"Artists sometimes create a triptych, a series of three panels that are meant to be displayed together. You can use the noun triptych to describe three paintings that are deliberately hung together, as one piece, on the walls of an art gallery."

As you can see from the examples below, it can be one big image split into three parts OR it can be three different images that are somehow related to each other (ie. usually in the same style). Your pieces should look like they belong together but other than that, be as creative as you wish! Note, you should still make the images your own and be submitting a cohesive piece showing elements of graphic art (use of brushes and techniques etc.) rather than just selecting images and putting them together.

Examples:
    https://secure.img1-fg.wfcdn.com/im/...Plaque+Set.jpg
    http://juliannakunstler.com/images_a.../triptych9.jpg
    https://cultcollectiveblog.files.wor...s-triptych.jpg
    https://secure.img1-fg.wfcdn.com/im/...Plaque+Set.jpg
    https://img0.etsystatic.com/125/0/11...04208_jh87.jpg

Rules
    It can be any size you like but must contain 3 panels and all three panels should be of equal size
    It does not require text if you don't want to. I will be removing the text criteria from grading and replacing it with a new criteria called technique (see above). But if you do use text it will just be under the "overall composition" score.
    You may use any images (fanart or official art) you like but make sure you post links to any images/graphics you use that aren't made by you (excluding vector shapes and stuff), so I can see if you have edited them or how you've used them
    You can use any brushes, fonts, vector shapes, etc. that you like

Entry Form
    Link to entry:
    Title of entry:
    Image credits:
    -
    -
    -
    Notes:

Sorry I am a bit late getting this up. Because of that I will accept entries until the end of Monday (in your timezone).
    GCEA

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

GRAPHIC ART'S CHALLENGE FOR WEEK 2 IS NOW UP!

Looking forward to seeing some great posters! :)
    GCEA

4. This post has been liked by:

"I don't want to fight." Steel Lunpara's Avatar
    Poster link: Right over here.
    Poster title: "Set Yourself Free"
    Image credits: Uh, me, I guess
    "You kids have a nice day."

6. This post has been liked by:

This was super fun. Not my best work I don't think but I'm a perfectionist. I kind of had an unfair advantage here because I did exactly this for my university course but it was really hard doing it in this time span as I had a month or so to plan out research and design it at uni. Would have done it all from scratch but would have taken too long so the stuff I used is in the credits. I created a logo for the team too so I will also add that to the form.
    Poster: http://imgur.com/a/5sxr8
    Poster Title: Chaos ensues
    Logo:
    Spoiler:

Image credits:
    http://hdqwalls.com/wallpapers/low-poly-space-art.jpg
    https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...20170409032325
    http://www.smallmadtv.com/astrogalle...la-29dec20.jpg
    Crossfire logo from here.

Feel free to check out my Instagram for design and art stuffs

8. This post has been liked by:

10. This post has been liked by:

Compared to that masterpiece Coru has presented this isn't much, but I had a lot of fun putting it together :)

Poster link: Right here
    Poster title: The Iron Tide
    Image credits:
    The city
    the background
    Skarmory
    Steel scavengers (by Neo)

VPP

12. This post has been liked by:

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Finally got around to this. I'd be ashamed of myself if I missed the deadline!

And yeah, the Skarmory as the mascot kind of just... happened (a little bit thanks to me), but hey, I ain't complaining!

Poster Link: CLICK ME!
    Poster Title: Reborn from STEEL!
    Image Credits:

Background
    Skarmory
    Hexagon (For Logo)
    Paper Texture (Overlay)
    Font (Incubus)

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Week 3 theme is up. Sorry for the delay. I somehow forgot. ^^;;;

Because of that you have until Monday night in your own timezone to submit. I won't grade them until Wednesday (my time) so anything submitted before I grade is fine!
    GCEA

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Judging Criteria
    Use of colour (/10):
    Do the colours match nicely? Does everything show up well against each other?

Use of text (/10):
    Was a fitting font chosen? Is the text legible and is it incorporated into the piece rather than looking like it's pasted on top.

Matching the theme (/10):
    How well does this piece match the theme? Are all required elements included?

Overall composition (/20):
    How does the piece look overall? How do all of the elements work together? Is the eye drawn to the right parts of the artwork and is there a clear flow/direction? How much do I love it? :D

Noblejanobii 37/50
    Use of colour (/10): 7
    We are popping with Shaymin's colours here! Looks like they're taken straight from the center image which means everything matches nicely. But it could have also been cool to go with a contrasting colour that would make the Shaymin stand out more!

Use of text (/10): 7
    Solid text choice with a slight glow. Black is easy to read. The font choice is nice and matches the theme. The text doesn't really stand out though, because of the Shaymin in the background still having quite a high opacity.

Matching the theme (/10): 8
    We have a logo, we have the team name... I feel like there isn't really a slogan though.

Overall composition (/20): 15
    Lots of cute Shaymin in the background but they can also be a bit distracting to the text which seems like it should be one of the main places the eye focuses. I love the logo in the middle, it really draws the eye and it's a great pic of Shaymin to use! I like the addition of the dark green shadows behind the Shaymin. It would be nice to see some more advanced techniques next time, like a gradient or some brush work to make the background a bit more interesting. Overall great work!

Steel Lunpara 40/50
    This is a cool idea! I like how you've gone for a graffiti'd poster look. Very clever. While the colours aren't very exciting, that was kind of necessary for this piece, and the red does stand out against the dreary black lotus poster and definitely gets your attention.

Use of text (/10): 8
    The contrast between the black lotus text and the graffiti is quite interesting. The effect does make it look like it was sprayed on. It might have been cool to have some drips of paint or something emphasising that though.

Matching the theme (/10): 10
    Logo, check. Team name, check. Slogan, check. Nice work.

Overall composition (/20): 14
    I really like this idea! It's not pretty to look at it but it was a clever way to interpret the theme. I like the Black Lotus logo. I think you could have gone further with it and maybe shown a torn corner of the poster, a nail in it to show it's hung up, and some paint drips or something to make it a bit more engaging. Other than that, the flow is good and it's definitely an interesting take. Well done!

Coru 44/50
    So we have purple and a dark pink colour. They look nice together and have come from that logo/Zorua it seems. But I kind of feel like a different color than the pink might have stood out more strongly from the background and grabbed more attention.

Use of text (/10): 9
    I LOVE the Prankster Platoon and now hiring text! That whole part is beautiful! The top white text is good but I think the white kind of stands out too much, and takes away from the main text which I feel should be the main focus (and it's so nicely done!!). The bottom white text is also maybe a bit much text although it's quite funny :). I gotta give you a 9 anyway because that middle text is amazing.

Logo, slogan and team name present and accounted for.

Overall composition (/20): 18
    This is lovely Coru! My one complaint is that it's kind of blurry. I didn't take points off for that but it bugs me because it would like so good if it was crisp. xD It might be because you uploaded a file too big or something and imgur compressed it badly, I dunno? Anyway! I love the border design and how it feeds into the text, I think it's brilliant but would be even better if it stood out a little more. My eye is drawn to the white text first which is a bit of a shame. The background logo was a great choice and the starry sky looks really nice the way you've edited it! The placement of the Zorua is great too. I probably would have omitted the PXFire logo. I like what you were doing with it but it doesn't integrate that nicely as the transparent parts go kinda grey. Sorry this feels like a lot of feedback, I really love it overall, I'm seriously impressed. Well done!

arnisd 42/50
    Use of colour (/10): 9
    There's a nice contrast between the green of your logo and the tree and the browns of the city. It definitely is a good use of colour to get your point across! Shaymin's flower stands out nicely with the pink. Well done.

Use of text (/10): 6
    The text is a little hard to read in places and kind of blends in too much. I like the message though! It might have been nice to have some of the text larger than others so it would stand out more. For example, the "Help us save nature". Something to get the attention of the people passing by.

Logo (nice one by the way!), team name and slogan all here!

Overall composition (/20): 17
    Seeing all the different parts that went into your poster, I'm really impressed by how you put it all together! I especially love the top part with the green flower and petals and Shaymin logo. It all fits together so nicely! It is quite an abrupt switch to the brown which is a great way of getting your point across. The imagery of the last tree is really strong. The text is almost unnecessary, which may be while I feel like it doesn't really add to the poster much. Still this is great and technically very impressive! Well done!

Morzone 42/50
    Use of colour (/10): 9
    Ooh I'm liking the gradient you got going on here. The colours go nicely together and Skarmory stands out well.

Use of text (/10): 7
    The steel scavengers text is a bit blurry which I believe is cos it was pulled from the small banners that Neo made? You actually did a REALLY good job transferring it over and it doesn't look pasted on at all. But the blurriness is a bit distracting. The rest of the text is good but I find it kind of distracting that the top text looks like its bevelled and the bottom looks embossed (hopefully I got those the right way around haha). Force should also be capitalised at the top I think. Otherwise the font chosen and the effects you use fit in with the rest of the banner!

Matching the theme (/10): 9
    Logo and team name are one and the same here, I believe. had to dock a point for the blurriness. But nice slogan!

I love the giant Skarmory. You did a great job placing it in the city and putting parts under/over it. It looks rather seamless. Impressive! I like the effects you put on the city and Skarmory to make them match the grungy style of the banner. The text placement is good overall as well. Skarmory definitely draws the eye and the banner is interesting to look at. Well done!

Neo Emolga 44/50
    Yep this looks like grungy steel! I can't help but think it would look even more interesting with some brighter colour though. Like some yellows or reds like in the small banners you made. It would help make Skarmory stand out a bit more too. But other than that, very nice! I love the black shapes behind the text!

Use of text (/10): 10
    Nice font which matches your theme. Great placement! It stands out well enough (nice black behind it) but doesn't distract. Maybe drawing attention to a certain part of it with a different colour, eg. the team name, could have looked cool. But that's personal preference. xD Great work.

Team name, great logo!! and nice slogan. Well done.

I really like how the eye is drawn to the text. The placement of the logo is nice too. My only suggestion is that the Skarmory could stand out better with some more colour in the background, and the city is a little hard to see at first glance. Nice brushwork and everything fits in well to the theme you were going for! If that tiny pic of Skarmory was the one you used, then you did an amazing job not making it blurry. XD Great work!

Steel Scavengers 35
    Morzone 42 = 17
    Neo Emolga 44 = 18

Gracidea Order 32
    Noblejanobii 38 = 15
    arnisd 42 = 17

Prankster Platoon 33
    Coru 44 = 18
    Steel Lunpara 40 = 15
    GCEA

16. This post has been liked by: