Your opinion on the 13th Doctor? [Jodie Whittaker]

So today, after the Wimbledon men's finals, BBC announced something that has become VERY controversial today. The identity of the 13th doctor.
    Many people seem to not care that it is Jodie Whittaker, but that she is a woman and many people do not like it but at the same time many people love that the show is trying something new. What is your opinion and will you be watching in when season 11 airs?

Personally I don't understand the backlash with the doctor being a woman and Missy proved many times that a woman can be more than capable of picking up where the previous actor left off in terms of regeneration. I think Missy was personally my favourite master incarnation and I feel like Whittaker will bring something completely new to doctor who. Lately I started to become disinterested with doctor who because it was always the same and Moffat was just ruining it with his over thought out elaborate plots. (thank go he is going haha.) So personally I am really excited to see what's going to happen. Yes, I have a bit of hesitation but I do with every new incarnation of the doctor as I haven't had time to get used to them but I hope she ends up doing well and hopefully the dynamic will work so in the future, so the role of the doctor is much more open and free.
    What do you guys think?

Feel free to check out my Instagram for design and art stuffs

I'm a girl and an actress and being the Doctor would be a dream come true. If the next Doctor is a woman, then that means future Doctors can be women, too. A dream of mine just got a little closer to being achieved. I just need to perfect my British accent now.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

I can actually see where the controversy comes in. I was discussing this with a Doctor Who fan earlier. I'll preface by saying, I'm excited for a female doctor, but a little worried given that the show's writing has not been as strong in recent times.

The worry mainly comes in with the fact that with characters like Iron Man and Thor in the past that we made into women in the comics, there has arisen a trend of taking strong characters and making them into semi-ditzy women. There seems to be this idea among writers that taking a strong male character and simply making them female makes them a strong female character, which is not the case. I believe people are worried the next doctor will follow the same trend. They think that because the show has not had the best writing in recent years, that instead of having a strong female lead, the next doctor will just be a ditzy woman that has no depth whatsoever. Whether or not that is warranted, only time will tell, but that's why I think there's a bit of controversy.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

My opinion is divided, and will be chosen based on the show.

Put simply it is like this.

If they have cast a female lead because their vision for the next part of this story would work best around a female lead as opposed to a male lead like the last twelve doctors, then they have my respect for being willing to break tradition and potentially piss off a lot of hardcore fans. I look forward to what they do with it.

HOWEVER, if they have cast a female lead more for the sake of casting a female lead, then they don't have my respect. By all means, cast a female lead, if the role requires a female lead. Dont cast it for the sake of appealing to the left.