Thread: Musicals

Musicals

Anyone got any favorite musicals?
    My favorite musical will forever and always be Next to Normal. And if there are any of you who have never heard it, and are totally okay with your heart getting ripped apart and sewn back together, then go listen to it.
    Also recommended are The Last Five Years, RENT(Movie has better vocals but cut some songs and scenes), Into the Woods(Pretty much the same deal as RENT), Jekyll and Hyde, Phantom of the Opera--
    ...I love musicals with all my heart and soul okay.
    the only way you could drag me out onto a date is if a musical was involved probably

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

My personal favorite is Mama Mia. It's fun, it's a bit silly, it's got great songs, and it's just overall really enjoyable. I've seen both the movie and the musical on Broadway. The show on Broadway was a bit better, but the movie's not bad either.

I think Chicago is the only musical where the movie is MUCH better than the actual show.

I also wanted to see Spamalot but never got the chance. Grumble grumble.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

So I've been attending Broadway shows both on Broadway and on tour since I was little. Not sure if these all can be classified as musicals because I've seen: The Wizard of Oz (on tour), Wicked (twice on tour, once on broadway), Mary Poppins (once on Broadway and once on tour), the Lion King (twice on tour), Aladdin (on Broadway), Something Rotten (on tour), Phantom of the Opera (two times on tour I think and twice on Broadway), Sister Act (on tour), Kinky Boots (on tour), Finding Neverland (on Broadway), the Sound of Music (on tour), and more that I can't remember at this time.

Now this is not me trying to brag or anything, but in my experience there's two types of Broadway shows, the ones that focus on music and the ones that focus on humor. Sure they all have story and generally speaking the stories are all great, but that aside, what the main focus of the show is really is what divides them. The soundtracks for the Lion King, Wicked, and Phantom of the Opera are some of my favorites. I still listen to them in the car and if I'm by myself you know I'll be hitting those high notes like no one's business. But then shows like Something Rotten and Aladdin are more for humor than anything else, and while they're still great in their own right, the songs aren't as strong usually. Some shows like Finding Neverland don't really fit into either category because they have very serious focuses. But all in all, most shows on Broadway do have great soundtracks, but it really does depend on the show.

I have recently fallen in love with the Hamilton soundtrack and that will be coming through my local theater on tour in the 2018-2019 Broadway season. I have begged my mom to let me see it. As for this season though, I want to see Les Misreables, The Color Purple, Phantom of the Opera for like the millionth time, and the new sequel to Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies.

Is it obvious that I really like Phantom of the Opera? I will learn to play that overture one day.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    So I've been attending Broadway shows both on Broadway and on tour since I was little. Not sure if these all can be classified as musicals because I've seen: The Wizard of Oz (on tour), Wicked (twice on tour, once on broadway), Mary Poppins (once on Broadway and once on tour), the Lion King (twice on tour), Aladdin (on Broadway), Something Rotten (on tour), Phantom of the Opera (two times on tour I think and twice on Broadway), Sister Act (on tour), Kinky Boots (on tour), Finding Neverland (on Broadway), the Sound of Music (on tour), and more that I can't remember at this time.

Now this is not me trying to brag or anything, but in my experience there's two types of Broadway shows, the ones that focus on music and the ones that focus on humor. Sure they all have story and generally speaking the stories are all great, but that aside, what the main focus of the show is really is what divides them. The soundtracks for the Lion King, Wicked, and Phantom of the Opera are some of my favorites. I still listen to them in the car and if I'm by myself you know I'll be hitting those high notes like no one's business. But then shows like Something Rotten and Aladdin are more for humor than anything else, and while they're still great in their own right, the songs aren't as strong usually. Some shows like Finding Neverland don't really fit into either category because they have very serious focuses. But all in all, most shows on Broadway do have great soundtracks, but it really does depend on the show.

I have recently fallen in love with the Hamilton soundtrack and that will be coming through my local theater on tour in the 2018-2019 Broadway season. I have begged my mom to let me see it. As for this season though, I want to see Les Misreables, The Color Purple, Phantom of the Opera for like the millionth time, and the new sequel to Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies.

Is it obvious that I really like Phantom of the Opera? I will learn to play that overture one day.
    I'm slightly envious because my first Broadway show was two years ago and I've only seen two others since then.

I understand about Phantom of the Opera for sURE though! That was the first musical I ever fell in love with and being Christine would be a dream come true and I am so disappointed that it's out of my singing range.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by LKWayvern View Post
    I'm slightly envious because my first Broadway show was two years ago and I've only seen two others since then.

I understand about Phantom of the Opera for sURE though! That was the first musical I ever fell in love with and being Christine would be a dream come true and I am so disappointed that it's out of my singing range.
    My mom is a huge fan of Broadway shows so I'm privileged enough to be able to attend regularly with her. It truly is a blessing that I treasure.

I've been practicing for years and I can hit those notes. Sadly, I don't think I'd ever be able to perform on Broadway.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

Whilst mine is somewhat generic because we studied it in school, I really like Blood Brothers. A lot of that is because I can relate to the characters because I'm a twin and from roughly where they are, and a lot of the social criticisms are still relevant today, which says a lot about our country. I went to see it with my brother last year and it was really good. I'm not sure if some of it would get lost in different countries because it's obviously heavily focused on English culture, but I'm sure it's still enjoyable. :D

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler: