Thread: Goodbye AIM

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar

Goodbye AIM

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/6/1...tant-messenger

After 20 years, it's finally going. I used AIM so much when I was younger, especially for PE2K stuff. What are your fondest memories of AIM?

I would often spam a letter and backspace in succession, so it would keep popping up with a message saying I was typing ten times a second. :D

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

The main reason why I originally used AIM was for URPG many years back. But I definitely used it for chatting quite often. Did a whole lot of WAR planning with it, also. It was very helpful to have when the original Proboards forum was shut down. We used it to keep in contact and it was definitely very good for that until we had another forum to use.

I'm surprised it lasted for this long, but hey, 20 years is quite a while.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Aww. It's going the way of MSN. :(

I was on MSN way more but I used AIM for PE2K stuff, especially URPG. I still remember when I first joined PE2K, Marth started talking to me on AIM and helped me join the URPG. I think that's one of the things that kept me on the forum at the beginning, as that's mostly all I did for a while.
    GCEA

Aw I used to use AIM tonnes. :c It makes me sad to see it go. Ah well.

Molly, you're so adorable! Otter Mii-kun's Avatar
    I used to use AIM semi-regularly years ago, though through third-party programs such as Trillian and Pidgin, to chat with some friends from forums that I frequented at the time (and some of which I still do now).

Though this news is bittersweet; I will say, though, that the writing has been on the wall for the past several years now as virtually everybody has migrated to Skype and more recently Discord for their instant messaging needs.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    Aww. It's going the way of MSN. :(

I was on MSN way more but I used AIM for PE2K stuff, especially URPG. I still remember when I first joined PE2K, Marth started talking to me on AIM and helped me join the URPG. I think that's one of the things that kept me on the forum at the beginning, as that's mostly all I did for a while.
    I was very similar. Back in the days I visit my old site. Every. Single. Day. Me and my friends would talk on MSN. I LOVED it! I miss it still. Used to use it even for the missions we held for our site's RP. Those were so fun :)

AIM was something I used very early on. Haha, I used to play a lot of simple and fun games while on it. Made random friends out of literal strangers older than me xD. It was kind of odd for the child me lol.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

It's funny that I tried Yahoo Messenger and MSN and really just didn't warm up to either of those. Given, AIM wasn't perfect, but it just felt more user-friendly.

But yeah, I think Skype and Discord just do the job better these days, but it's still something we probably all used at one point or another.