Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Don't get cooked... Stay off the hook! Kaoru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coru View Post
    Guys. I learned today of something that is scaring me very much and also annoying me that Nintendo plans to release next year.
    I haven't looked into it fully and it is very unclear as well, but from what i've read from multiple places including the official Nintendo site, soon, you will need to pay an extra premium to be able to use WiFi functionality on your switch. This is for ANY game that you will play. This basically nullifies Splatoon as the whole idea of it is WiFi based, and also to some extent, destroys the Arms and Mariokart fanbase who use WiFi as their main game mode. Really hope this isn't true or I misunderstood it but I really do not wish to pay an extra premium for these games that are, on initial buying price, already very expensive compared to other games on the market. It may not seem like a lot of money but I know for sure that some people can't afford that and taking away a feature they have been able to use beforehand when they paid for the game is wrong.
    Heres what's on the official nintendo website. The bit that scares me is the quote here.
    "After the free-trial period, most games will require a paid online service subscription from Nintendo in order to play online. Currently the free-trial, the paid service, and online play (for applicable modes in compatible games) will be available for customers in the US, Canada, and Mexico. For the latest list of countries, please visit Customer Support."
    Nintendo Switch Online
    Yes you'll have to pay for online at some point in 2018.
    Paired with the awesome and lovable 💕Trainer17💕

"Don't get cooked... Stay off the hook!"

Spoiler:
    links ★ Greninja level100@1748 ★
    warrior recordprism statsasb stats

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Yeah it really sucks but Playstation and Xbox already make you do this and their online communities are fine. :( So I don't think it will destroy communities but it does really suck especially since Pokemon games will be on switch from now on. Paying just to trade and stuff is extremely lame. =/
    GCEA

Administrator

I had heard about it too a few months ago. Games that use wifi features just become unplayable (like Splatoon) unless you have the premium. Pokken would still work, though just can't play online without it. Yeah it sucks, but what can you do. Hopefully it means a more dedicated server to everything on.

I heard it's been delayed, but we will soon see I suppose. I'll have to add those of you with a Switch soon too. Don't play mine very much right now honestly though.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

I got one for Christmas, and I couldn't be happier with it. I've already completed Odyssey's story (it's amazing and fun from start to finish, for anyone considering a purchase), and Breath of the Wild is one of the most addictive, immersive games I've had the pleasure of playing in a long time now. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is an improvement on the Wii U version with the extra characters and a proper Battle Mode, but largely the same as the Wii U counterpart. It's more than enough fun to warrant the second purchase, and now Dry Bones, my favourite Mario Kart character, is playable again, which is great. :D

Overall, it's only been six days, but I'm thrilled with it, and I can't wait to get Splatwon (I will always call it that) at some point down the line. :)

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Blaquaza View Post
    I got one for Christmas, and I couldn't be happier with it. I've already completed Odyssey's story (it's amazing and fun from start to finish, for anyone considering a purchase), and Breath of the Wild is one of the most addictive, immersive games I've had the pleasure of playing in a long time now. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is an improvement on the Wii U version with the extra characters and a proper Battle Mode, but largely the same as the Wii U counterpart. It's more than enough fun to warrant the second purchase, and now Dry Bones, my favourite Mario Kart character, is playable again, which is great. :D

Overall, it's only been six days, but I'm thrilled with it, and I can't wait to get Splatwon (I will always call it that) at some point down the line. :)
    Woo! How good is Zelda? I got it the day after Christmas and am pretty addicted. XD

The Switch is my probably my favourite console ever. It's so handy being able to play it handheld. I can't wait for a Pokemon game! xD
    GCEA

The Chaotix's Ace Attorney Blaquaza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    Woo! How good is Zelda? I got it the day after Christmas and am pretty addicted. XD

The Switch is my probably my favourite console ever. It's so handy being able to play it handheld. I can't wait for a Pokemon game! xD
    Zelda is every bit as amazing as people have said it is, which really surprised me because usually things with such amazing hype never live up to it when you experience them yourself. It might be a bit slow moving around when you get started, but you can get a horse quite quick and from there it's only going up. The cooking system is oddly fun to experiment with, and the shrines themselves make you feel really smart when you solve them. There's the odd moment of frustration at being stuck, but it wouldn't be a Zelda game without that. Out of all the Switch games I have, it's the one with the most meat on the bones to warrant coming back to, and that says a lot because the other two are jammed with content as well. :D
    Last edited by Blaquaza; 01-06-2018 at 10:46 PM.

Credits to Neo Emolga for the avatar and the banner!
    Spoiler:

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I'll admit I've tried eating a bit more Post cereal just to try and win a Nintendo Switch from their contest. So far, I've tried three times and... well, if I had won, you definitely would have seen a pretty excited blog about it. Notice the lack of an excited blog about it. XD

Just wondering, but besides the main console itself, what are the other essentials that you need for it? I'm thinking stuff like memory cards or extra peripheral devices that some games can't really be played without. I'm also wondering if things like Amiibo figures are really worth dropping money on or if they're kind of like just DLC stuff that other games have. I'm still unsure of what these even fully do to be honest. XD

URPG Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    I'll admit I've tried eating a bit more Post cereal just to try and win a Nintendo Switch from their contest. So far, I've tried three times and... well, if I had won, you definitely would have seen a pretty excited blog about it. Notice the lack of an excited blog about it. XD

Just wondering, but besides the main console itself, what are the other essentials that you need for it? I'm thinking stuff like memory cards or extra peripheral devices that some games can't really be played without. I'm also wondering if things like Amiibo figures are really worth dropping money on or if they're kind of like just DLC stuff that other games have. I'm still unsure of what these even fully do to be honest. XD
    For me, it was the actual controller for it (the one set up like a normal game controller). I personally despise how the little janky one they give you for the sides to slot into feels. I personally loathe it. Disclaimer that I've also known people who were perfectly fine with it. But we bought the Pro Controller (the wireless one, a bit more expensive; there's a cheaper wired one) and it's nice. Other than that, there hasn't really been many "peripheral must-buys" for me. I think a case is nice, so I bought a carrying case to carry the L+R button add-ons, the games, the Switch, and the cords.

I own Super Mario Odyssey, Pokken Tournament DX, Breath of the Wild, and Mario Kart 8. None of those have needed any additional equipment. I think Mario Kart has one of those cheesy wheels you can slot the single controller into but that's just cosmetic and kind of silly imo.

tl;dr: the full Switch controller is really nice and a case is nice, but I haven't played a game yet that really even comes close to requiring any extra peripheral equipment.

P.S. idk what Amiibos usually do except give things like outfits. I think it's all just what you said, DLC stuff. Only ones I've considered buying are the Animal Crossing Amiibo cards to get new villagers in New Leaf.

head ranger / expert curator / ace chronicler
    urpg stats
    / national park stats / deviantart

9. This post has been liked by:

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by K'sariya View Post
    For me, it was the actual controller for it (the one set up like a normal game controller). I personally despise how the little janky one they give you for the sides to slot into feels. I personally loathe it. Disclaimer that I've also known people who were perfectly fine with it. But we bought the Pro Controller (the wireless one, a bit more expensive; there's a cheaper wired one) and it's nice. Other than that, there hasn't really been many "peripheral must-buys" for me. I think a case is nice, so I bought a carrying case to carry the L+R button add-ons, the games, the Switch, and the cords.

I own Super Mario Odyssey, Pokken Tournament DX, Breath of the Wild, and Mario Kart 8. None of those have needed any additional equipment. I think Mario Kart has one of those cheesy wheels you can slot the single controller into but that's just cosmetic and kind of silly imo.

tl;dr: the full Switch controller is really nice and a case is nice, but I haven't played a game yet that really even comes close to requiring any extra peripheral equipment.

P.S. idk what Amiibos usually do except give things like outfits. I think it's all just what you said, DLC stuff. Only ones I've considered buying are the Animal Crossing Amiibo cards to get new villagers in New Leaf.
    Awesome, thanks for this! This is good stuff to know. :3

And yeah, I remember the silly Wii wheels for Mario Kart. If it's anything like how it was for the Wii, yeah, they're really not needed. XD

Senior Administrator

As some know already, I did get a Switch! And it's good stuff! :3

And wow, Mario Kart 8 online multiplayer is FRANTIC! I like how they set it up, but wow, hang on to your butts because it's sheer mayhem from the moment the race begins and it doesn't stop until the very end. WAY different from just racing CPUs. And wow, so many characters as well. I love how they even brought back the Koopa kids and even gave them voices. They sound exactly how I imagined they would! XD

I also need to play more Zelda BotW.

12. This post has been liked by: