The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Favorite Historcial Figure

Whether they’re a hero, a villain, Japanese, Celtic, real, or not real, do you have a favorite historical figure or figures?
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

It's probably weird that I've never been interested in history, real or fantasy D:

But I'm sure you have an interesting one @Noblejanobii?
    GCEA

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    But I'm sure you have an interesting one @Noblejanobii?
    I have way too many to name all of them. I have taken a great interest in Celtic mythology recently though. The Ulster Cycle is filled with so many interesting figures. One good one is Cu Chulainn. His name means "Hound of Culann" because when he was a young child he accidentally killed a blacksmith's dog when it attacked him. The dog was well known for having the strength of ten men so not only was it a great feat to have defeated it but it was also a great loss to the blacksmith. So Cu Chulainn asked the blacksmith (who is named Culann fyi) if the hound had any offspring and until they were old enough to act as hounds, then Cu Chulainn would act as the guard dog. This story is one of the reasons why he's very famous in Celtic mythology but it's not the only reason. There's another story involving him and the witch Scathach (who is interesting in her own right). See Scathach was interested in taking on apprentices and Cu Chulainn ended up being selected as one of her two apprentices. It is through this training that Cu Chulainn obtained his famous spear, Gae Bolg, which you see him use in Fate/Staynight. In addition though, he became a druid through this training. But not just any druid. See druids are known for their gift of prophecy and other assorted mystical abilities. Jesus is even called a druid by some Celtic sources. Thing is though, Cu Chulainn wasn't taught normal druid spells, he learned how to use Nordic Runes as well, making him an extremely powerful druid and Nordic mage. He's still a very prominent figure in Ireland today, seen as a symbol of strength and loyalty.

Is there any part of the world you're particularly interested in? I think I know a few Australian myths that are pretty interesting.
    / / / / / / / /

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Yeah, I hated history in high school and still don't understand why it's taught in schools.

But that's not what this thread's about. Do idols count?

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Actually Prefers Popeyes Kentucky Fried Torchic's Avatar
    Toss-up between Gustav Stresemann and Alexsei Yermolov.
    Dreams do come a size too big. It's so that we can grow into them.

Current Projects:
    Fanfiction: Pokémon: Exodus (Chapter six of nine posted)
    Nuzlocke: "Dude, Where's My Bellsprout?": A Totally Radical Red Version Nuzlocke

Avatar by the illustrious Neo Emolga.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur View Post
    Yeah, I hated history in high school and still don't understand why it's taught in schools.

But that's not what this thread's about. Do idols count?
    Hm well that’s too bad. Perhaps you did not have the right teachers to educate you in the wonders of history.

Uhhh I suppose so? As long as their historical sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Torchic View Post
    Toss-up between Gustav Stresemann and Alexsei Yermolov.
    Ohhh chancellor of the Weimar Republic and Russian military genius during the Napoleonic and Caucasian Wars. Both excellent choices. Pray tell, why do you like them?
    / / / / / / / /

Many, so so many.

I'll start with Albert Göring. The brother of the much more (in)famous Hermann (Vice Chancellor of Nazi Germany), he despised facism, and used his name and influence to aid many people persecuted by the Nazis and sabotage things from the inside.
    Completing Generation III

Heartfelt thanks to Neo Emolga for my avatar!

8. This post has been liked by:

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

@Noblejanobii I'd like to hear the Australian ones :)

Also that was a pretty interesting story! I guess mythology is pretty cool. :) I guess I've always been more interested in natural history rather than people haha.
    GCEA

Actually Prefers Popeyes Kentucky Fried Torchic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    Ohhh chancellor of the Weimar Republic and Russian military genius during the Napoleonic and Caucasian Wars. Both excellent choices. Pray tell, why do you like them?
    Apologies for the late reply, but I have been spending the holidays with my fiance's family sans laptop.

So first up, Stresemann: The man was a diplomatic genius, he was able to conceal his true feelings about German rearmament and territorial ambitions to the point that when he died, he was mourned in the west as a champion of peace even as he worked for German rearmament and dismantling of the Versailles diktat. If he had lived, I believe that he could have achieved the dream of a Pan-German state including Austria, the Sudetenland, and Danzig without war breaking out. What would have come after that is anyone's guess, but I definitely have to respect the man's competence and professionalism.

As for Aleksei Yermolov, my infatuation with him is more of a product of my lizard brain.

See, there is a saying: the fox knows many little things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing. General Yermolov was a hedgehog through and through, only his one big thing was lighting things on fire.

Yes, you read that right.

When the Napoleonic Wars were going on their third or fourth iteration, Russia found itself betrayed and under attack by the fanatical French army and those of its vassals. Forced into a retreat through Prussia, Yermolov's forces were in danger of attack by the Franco-Germanic legions. As soon as night fell, a surprise attack could be launched and the Russians routed. Thinking quickly, Yermolov ordered the nearby town set ablaze so that the light of the fire would illuminate, and thus deter, any attack.

Yermolov's superiors were pleased and he continued to light Prussian settlements on fire as the Russians conducted their famous doctrine of deep battle. The strategy was especially effective because the Napoleonic armies, bereft of the logistical capabilities of modern armies, relied on looting the countryside of their occupied territories for food. Fewer towns and villages meant fewer rations to go around.

Yet Napoleon kept pushing and soon the French were menacing the ancient capital of Moscow. Yermolov was put in charge of its defense. What plan would he come up with this time?

He burned Moscow down, much to the horror of many other Russian military commanders. Burning down German settlements was one thing, but the jewel of the Czar's empire? Madness!

But Yermolov got the go ahead from his sovereign and proceeded with the most thorough arson preparation known to man. While some of his troops sabotaged all of the water mains in the city so that the numerous fires being set by their comrades would go unabated, Yermolov also ordered the cities prisons opened up and all of the criminals set loose into the city: Dark Knight Rises-style. Then they beat a hasty retreat.

When Napoleon and his armies arrived, the city that they had expected to capture after much fighting and loot to their hearts' content was burning to the ground and overrun with malcontents. And winter was coming too.

The ensuing winter further strained the already fractious ties between Napoleon and his puppets, and as the emperor of the French retreated west, his allies turned against him and eventually united to topple his regime, with the Russian army marching all the way to Paris to depose the man.

Thus, Europe was saved, for the time being, from tyranny, domination, and the metric system by a man who knew only one big talent: how to make things lit.
    Dreams do come a size too big. It's so that we can grow into them.

Current Projects:
    Fanfiction: Pokémon: Exodus (Chapter six of nine posted)
    Nuzlocke: "Dude, Where's My Bellsprout?": A Totally Radical Red Version Nuzlocke

Avatar by the illustrious Neo Emolga.

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I think Jesus is cool.

If we could, we'd hang out, have pizza, play some Mario Kart, and watch a funny comedy movie. Those would be good times.