garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar

Best game soundtrack?

As the title says.

My answer: Runescape. Hands down. The only game that I've LITERALLY had songs from on my MP3 player. I love the blend of world music and progressive rock.

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

URPG Staff

Transistor is one of my favorites! Full vocal soundtrack, and full humming soundtrack. All around beautiful sound design in that game.

Other great mentions:
    • Final Fantasy X - Gorgeous soundtrack that went amazingly with the game. I still listen regularly to so many of its tracks, and they all still move me every time.
    • Stardew Valley - Really succeeds in invoking the pixel Harvest Moon feel. Very memorable tunes. Great in a bit of an unconventional sense.
    • The Last of Us - Amazing game with an amazing soundtrack. Can't even.
    • Runescape - Gotta agree with Bulbasaur here--that stuff is so memorable. I can still recognize almost every track even today, and when I do, it's stuck in my head for days. A real classic.

head ranger / expert curator / ace chronicler
    urpg stats
    / national park stats / deviantart

Quote Originally Posted by K'sariya View Post
    Transistor is one of my favorites! Full vocal soundtrack, and full humming soundtrack. All around beautiful sound design in that game.
    UUurrrrrr I need to play it!! I bought it ages ago but I was playing it at the same time as something else which stole my attention. xD Loved Bastion's soundtrack so I have no doubt Transistor's will be just as good!

1. Mass Effect 1, 2 & 3 - Each game had a spectacular soundtrack, with the second game having my favourite tracks. Emotional, spine-tingling, and straight-up awesome tracks.
    2. Horizon Zero Dawn - Adore the vocals which I assume are all performed by the same woman, as well as the instrumental tracks. Perfect ambiance at every moment with some epic tracks.
    3. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Such great music in this game.

Of course there are many other games with incredible soundtracks (most Zelda games, many Pokemon games (PMD duh), Undertale, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Life is Strange, etc) and I feel as if they're all "the best" in their own right given that there are multiple genres and each soundtrack must fit its game and its game alone.

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Ori and the Blind Forest has an AMAZING soundtrack. Seriously, that game goes above and beyond to be a masterpiece in every way possible. Amazing artwork, enchanting music, a really lovable protagonist character, and really flashy and smooth animations and gameplay. But yeah, listen to the soundtrack and you'll have a really good idea of the kind of game it is.

I also like the soundtrack to Max Payne 3. It's perfect for the type of game it is and gets your blood pumping at times for is a really intense and brutal action game. Good stuff all around. :3

5. This post has been liked by:

Lover of Centipedes Scytherwolf's Avatar
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Journey soundtrack. That's probably my favorite one.

Also seconding Ori and the Blind Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    Ori and the Blind Forest has an AMAZING soundtrack. Seriously, that game goes above and beyond to be a masterpiece in every way possible. Amazing artwork, enchanting music, a really lovable protagonist character, and really flashy and smooth animations and gameplay. But yeah, listen to the soundtrack and you'll have a really good idea of the kind of game it is.
    I really need to play this also. Ugh I've got this long list of games that I need to play. xD But I've only heard good things about Ori! And I've seen the super pretty art. :3 No surprise that the soundtrack would complement it perfectly. Definitely on my list!

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    I really need to play this also. Ugh I've got this long list of games that I need to play. xD But I've only heard good things about Ori! And I've seen the super pretty art. :3 No surprise that the soundtrack would complement it perfectly. Definitely on my list!
    YOU DO! It's a really great and incredibly immersive game that gives you a fun sense of wanderlust as it takes you into an enchanting world that feels so far away. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

URPG Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Suicune's Fire View Post
    1. Horizon Zero Dawn - Adore the vocals which I assume are all performed by the same woman, as well as the instrumental tracks. Perfect ambiance at every moment with some epic tracks.
    DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THIS GAME! I actually didn't even think about it because the soundtrack goes so well with everything that it almost never disrupts my immersion. So it totally flew under my radar until you said this. I've put about 60 hours into my main save file and 20 into a secondary one; planning on finishing the DLC and then trying New Game+ on a harder difficulty, and then maybe eventually New Game+ Ultra Hard. Wish me luck.

On the subject of the soundtrack; I think the soundtrack was awesome. The end of the main game (no spoilers) was amazing, and the soundtrack totally drove the emotion there. The only part of the soundtrack that threw me (and it was less of the music and more of the execution) is when the "machine is around" music won't stop, or when the "something noticed you" music won't stop because for some reason a Grazer is still on yellow alert for four years after it saw you and was standing and watching warily while it ran.

But I could spend an entire thread talking about that amazing freaking game. Just about to finish the DLC. What a spectacular game. Hit me up sometime if you want to scream about it. I'm always game.

Seconding Ori and the Blind Forest. What a gorgeous game on almost every front. I need to finish it; I suck at platformers so much that it actually frustrated me because I'm that bad, haha.

head ranger / expert curator / ace chronicler
    urpg stats
    / national park stats / deviantart

For years the game with my absolute favorite soundtrack has been Golden Sun (and I'm counting both Golden Sun and Lost Age because they're basically one game on two cartridges). I guess it's partly because it was a special part of my childhood and I always get nostalgic listening to it, but the music itself is wonderful. And these were on a little GBA! Have some tracks: Click. Click here, too. And here. Bored yet?

Other ones I love are Eternal Sonata (which is about musical things) and both Nier games (who doesn't love 'em?).