Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Moderator

Your writing pet peeves

What turns you off when reading, and why? Do cliche characters drive you up the wall? Overdramatic storylines make you throw the book at the wall/click away? Plot holes make your head spin?

For me, this is what turns me off when reading (and to an extent, playing a story-heavy game like an RPG):

No set up--Dropping your characters in medias res can work, so long as you go back and explain how the characters got to that point.
    Taking forever to get the story started--if you introduce the characters in chapter one, and they haven't even started on their epic adventure by chapter 7, I'm putting the book back/clicking away from the story.
    Insta-romances with the sole point of getting the preferred pairing in the bedroom--if there's going to be a romantic subplot, I would prefer the two characters fall in love at a reasonable pace, have respect for each other, and healthy boundaries.
    Constant violence and action--give the audience time to breathe with a moment of levity or two.
    Unlikable/annoying characters--give me at least one character to cheer for.
    Too much description--I don't want to know the entire history of your world from the get go--just give me relevant info as the story requires.
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 01-25-2018 at 12:13 AM.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"