Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Moderator

This is taking forever...

What was the longest or hardest boss fight you've encountered? We're not talking about needing six tries to beat boss 1 because you forgot he had a certain move, or low level/solo challenges--this is for those bosses with annoying moves, godly amounts of HP, and usually take all your strength not to throw the controller/keyboard/handheld/phone at the wall.

Come share your war stories here! ::sparks with anticipation::
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

I don't know about hardest necessarily but what springs to mind for a long battle is Yiazmat from FFXII, ridiculous amount of HP for a game where the damage cap is set at 9999 save special Mist Charge attacks (and even those will not break six digits). The crazy beast is going to stomp around on your time and it going to make you say "FINALLY" when you take it down.

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Final Fantasy 8 Ultimecia. Lordy, I made the fatal mistake of leveling my characters to 99, so her HP was maxed. Unfortunately, FF8 is LONG so I wasn't exactly keen on resetting once I learned the horrible truth. And after reaching Ultimecia's castle, I only had about half the abilities unlocked before the final boss fight because I had already spent so many hours trying to locate the minibosses that needed to be killed to unlock them. What a horrible pain that nonsense was. Where the hell did the devs think this would contribute to the game's fun factor?

The battle took over two and a half hours and it was so mind-gratingly slow because my team was barely doing damage, but I wasn't losing because I had a whole inventory of "Hero" items that make your characters temporarily invincible, so she was never able to land fatal blows, but I was ever so slowly chiseling away at her enormous HP level. It was the worst. Half of me felt like just shutting it off while the other half wanted to keep going because of escalation of commitment. So it all came down to whether I would run out of Heroes first or I would finally drain the last grain of HP away. Thankfully it was the later, because otherwise I might have just thrown the game discs into a fire.

It was absolutely awful and while the ending was fairly decent, I vowed I was absolutely done with FF8 and to this day, I haven't played it again and I really have no aspiration to fire it up again either.

I agree with Matdo, I don't know what it's a silly tradition of FF games to cap damage at 9999. That's always something that's bothered me.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post

I agree with Matdo, I don't know what it's a silly tradition of FF games to cap damage at 9999. That's always something that's bothered me.
    The thing that gets me about it is how they raised it to 99999 regular damage in X with break damage limit but XII was locked at 9999 again. XIII allowed six figure damage at least but it's barely fun enough to play long enough to get there.

Actually Prefers Popeyes Kentucky Fried Torchic's Avatar
    I don't think this counts as a boss fight exactly, but I was preparing for the biggest fight of my life with my copy of Pokemon Ruby Version. I had already gotten every member of my team to level 100, and now I was working to get the proper hold items for them. The road to the Focus Band and other goodies ran through the Battle Tower, and so I took the plunge.

Things went really well, but thete was one battle that took forty-five minutes. See, there was this Kingdra and it knew Surf, Ice Beam, Dragon Dance, and Rest, plus it was holding Leftovers. In my corner, I had my trusted Whiscash, Giacomo, who knew Surf, Ice Beam, Earthquake, and Amnesia. He was also holding Leftovers. What began as an all out brawl turned into these two titanic water Pokemon using Struggle against one another with very little effect due to the healing. Giacomo came out on top but not before I had to plug my Gameboy in to prevent it from dying twenty minutes into the bout.
    Dreams do come a size too big. It's so that we can grow into them.

Current Projects:
    Fanfiction: Pokémon: Exodus (Chapter six of nine posted)
    Nuzlocke: "Dude, Where's My Bellsprout?": A Totally Radical Red Version Nuzlocke

Avatar by the illustrious Neo Emolga.

6. This post has been liked by:

No boss battle is tough if you persevere enough! You have to believe in yourself and power through, otherwise it's pointless even trying.

Senior Moderator

Even so, there are still some that will still give you a major challenge...
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Pewter City Playboy Playboy Brock's Avatar
    I am the boss so I am the challenge that no one can get past.

Senior Moderator

I still haven't forgotten taking six tries to beat you because they didn't tell me you had Rock Tomb in the remake.

Administrator

Hmm I'd have to think on that. Thing is most bosses are easy once you figure out how they work. It all just takes planning and it's usually easy to work around

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..