Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 87a: The Lonely Snover (part 1)

"...and if we round the corner right here, we should be able to see Mt. Diamant off in the distance." Brock began as the group made their way down a mountain path.

Ash balked as a large snow capped mountain came into view. "That's gotta be Mt. Diamant! Looks amazing!" With that, he snapped a picture of the glittering silvery mountain with his PokeNav.

Dawn smiled as she spotted a group of Cherrim cheerfully singing as they frolicked in the grass. "These little guys have always been cute to me..." she smiled as she watched the Cherrim dance. "Even more so after I competed against Lila..."

"To be honest, I kinda wanna dance with them..." Ash mused as he found a rock by the roadside to sit on. "Especially after being out in the middle of nowhere since my PokeRinger victory..."

After reflecting for a few moments on his PokeRinger win a few days before, Ash turned business like again. "But I can't rest on my laurels now! I am beyond ready for my battle in Snowpoint City!"

'I know--you've been talking about it non-stop for the last few days." Dawn smiled. "I'll have Satomi make you another victory feast if you win."

"You got it!" Ash smiled, savoring the memory of the steak Brock and Satomi had made him a few days earlier.

"There's still plenty of steaks left in our food haul, so I see no harm in making you another after you get badge number seven." Brock assured Ash as the group started down the path again.

But none of the three travelers realized that a creature with a white upper body and brown lower body that resembled a snow-covered tree was watching them...

---------

"Erin, Diddy, let's train!" Ash called as he heaved two Poke Balls onto a plain.

"Ready?" Brock asked as he, Dawn, Kori and Tintri watched from a small hill.

[Ready!] Diddy replied.

[I'm redy.] Erin replied with a little bow.

"Okay...three...two...one..." Some Starlies fluttered away as Brock's whistle pierced the air.

"Erin, use Aura Sphere!" Ash commanded.

[HAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!] Erin growled as she charged the familiar blue-white aura energy.

"Diddy, dodge and counter with Flamethrower!" Ash called again.

[Meet my flame aura!] Diddy taunted before jumping away from the ball of aura and heaving a wave of flames.

"Erin, dodge and try to Bite Diddy!" Ash called.

[Oof!] Erin gasped as the fire singed her face. Not one to be fettered, she lunged to bite Diddy. "I knew Erin would get stronger since she evolved..." Brock noted as Erin bit Diddy on the arm.

"The Mega Evolution ability really helps, as well." Dawn agreed as Erin threw Diddy to the grass.

Back on the plain, Ash watched as Erin let loose and backed away, allowing Diddy to get up. "Okay! We'll call the match for today!"

He smiled as Diddy collected himself. "Nice work, Diddy--your speed's improved a lot!"

He then walked to Erin, who was heaving heavily. "Well done, Erin--I was not expecting that throw."

[Was that some kind of martial art, or something?] Tintri asked.

[No--I needed a quick way to disengege.] Erin replied.

Ash noticed Erin's exhaustion. "it's okay to use your aura power to heal yourself."

[Good idea.] Erin agreed, surrounding herself with a gold aura. Once her Recover aura faded, she did not expect a wind with sparkling blue powder to come hurtling at the group. [Watch out for te--!]

A blue explosion lit up the plain, leaving the group flash-frozen in various poses of surprise, with the exception of Diddy's tail flame. The tree creature from before peeked out from behind a bush and cautiously approached the row of frozen humans and Pokemon. It giggled as it studied Ash looking oblivious, Dawn's panicked look, Brock bracing himself, Erin's warning call, and Diddy's panicked look, save for his tail flame.

It gasped as the flame melted Diddy's icy prison. [Finally, I'm out of there!]

The Snover retreated back to its bush as Diddy noticed the others in ice cubes. [Let me warm you guys up!] With that, he heaved a Flamethrower at the other ice cubes.

"What happened?" Ash asked as his ice melted away.

"I heard Erin telling us to watch out for something, and then we were frozen solid." Dawn remembered as she stepped out of her melting ice.

"Let's get going before anything else weird happens." Brock suggested. "For all I know, we could be burnt or paralyzed next!"

Ash nodded. "Diddy, Erin, return." he called. Once sure Diddy and Erin were back in their Poke Balls, he motioned for the others to follow him down the road...

---------

"So far, nothing weird's happened..." Ash mused as the group continued down the road. "Maybe things will be normal for the rest of this trip--WHOA!!!"

"I got y--!" Brock scrambled to catch Ash, only to trip on the same root Ash had tripped on, sending them tumbling down a hill.

"Maybe you two need to watch where you're g-WAUGGH!" Dawn screamed before she too tumbled down the hill.

"That's weird--there's no trees in this area, so how could we have tripped on roots?" Brock wondered as he eased himself to his feet.

He noticed two grass blades tied into a loop around his foot. "Ah ha...this is a Grass Knot, not a tree root. That means there's a mischievous Pokemon close by."

"Maybe our frozen surprise and this tripping are connected?" Dawn wondered as Brock shook off the Grass Knot.

Ash heard giggling from behind a bush. "Okay! You've got some explaining to do for freezing us and making us trip!" he vowed as he pulled back the brush, revealing the tree Pokemon.

He decided to read up on the tree Pokemon dancing before them:

"Snover, the frost tree Pokemon. Seemingly curious about people, they gather around footsteps they find on snowy mountains."

Ash did not expect the Snover to happily hug him. "Uh, hi, little guy?"

The Snover next offered Ash a white berry from its body. "Thanks, I think?" Ash asked as he took the odd white berry.

"What's going on?" Dawn asked as she and Brock watched Ash examine the berry.

"I think this mischievous Snover's actually friendly." Ash explained.

"Then why would it want to hurt us?" Dawn asked as she accepted a white berry from the Snover.

"Time to see what this odd Berry tastes like..." With that, Brock consumed his white berry.

He smiled a few moments later. "This actually tastes like chocolate--go on, eat yours!"

"Mm..you're right!" Dawn raved as she tasted her berry.

"Thanks, Snover." Ash smiled as he ate his Berry. "Is it okay if we have more to give to our Pokemon?"

[Sure--the berries grow back in a few minutes, so I can always give you more, whenever you want.] the Snover replied.

"Maybe this Snover used all the pranks so he could stop someone and share its fruit with them." Brock mused as he sliced up his new Berry.

"Well, it didn't have to go that extreme..." Ash sighed, making the Snover blush.

---------

That night, Ash smiled as the Snover eagerly dug into some frozen vegetables. "You like that, huh?"

Snover is part Ice, so you don't even need to cook for it--it will just eat the vegetables frozen. Satomi arrived as she brought the Snover some more frozen vegetables.

"Well, we're gonna head to bed here in a minute..." Ash started as he cleaned up his place. "We have a big day tomorrow...."

He noticed tears forming in the Snover's eyes. "Well...okay, you can spend the night; and join us for breakfast too!"

[Oh boy!] the Snover cried. [Are we gonna sing campfire songs and tell scary stories and play campfire games and...]

Dawn giggled as Brock located his guitar and started tuning up. "I see no harm in a sing along and some stories."

[I know what song we should start it with!] Tintri suggested. He waited for Brock to finish tuning, then whispered the song's name to Brock.

Brock nodded at Tintri's request, then started a brisk melody in G. I'll walk in the rain by your side
    I'll cling to the warmth of your hand...

To Be Continued...
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Interlude: The Warmth of Friendship

"Okay...who wants to start the storytelling for the night?" Brock asked as the last chord of "Yellow Submarine" echoed across the mountaintops.

"The Snover would probably like the Moltres story..." Ash suggested.

"I plan to tell a version of the Moltres story--we just need to figure out if we should tell that first, or let one of you tell first." Brock replied as he checked his guitar's tuning.

"I'll start!" Dawn volunteered, prompting the Snover to glance at her intently.

After thinking for a moment, Dawn began "In a certain land lived a king and queen who had three sons, the youngest of which was named Shane."

[That's a nice name.] the Snover smiled.

"Now, one day the king and queen went for a walk in the royal garden--something they often liked to do when the weather was nice." Dawn explained. "Suddenly, a great storm blew up, and by the time it died down, the queen was gone."

[Where did she go?] Kori asked, a note of fear in her voice.

"The king was heartbroken, and mourned a long time for his lost wife." Dawn continued with a nod assuring Kori all would be well. "The two eldest sons, seeing their father’s sorrow, asked for permission to go look for their mother. The king said okay, and they set out early the next morning."

"So, what adventures awaited these fine heroes?" Brock asked as he continued writing down the tale Dawn was telling.

"The two sons traveled for a long time, until they came to a vast desert, where they made camp, and waited for someone to come guide them through the sands." Dawn continued. "They waited for three years, but no one came."

She went on "Meanwhile, Shane had come of age, and he too went to his father and asked to go search for his mother. He wandered for a long time, until he found his brothers' camp. Shane suggested they travel together, and they all left early the next morning...."

---------

"...The next day three weddings were celebrated--the eldest son took the princess of the golden kingdom; the second son chose the princess of the silver kingdom, and Shane settled with the princess in the crystal kingdom." Dawn concluded some time later. "He kept the magical ruby with him, where it led him and his brothers on many more adventures."

She smiled at her enthralled companions. "But that is another story for another day!"

Ash led the applause. "That was actually an interesting story...it's not very often the elder brothers are forgiven."

"Yeah, if they aren't outright killed, they are thrown in the dungeon or banished." Brock agreed as he checked over his writing.

"While you look over your notes, I'll start the next one." Ash volunteered.

[Can it be about a brave hero that kills a dragon Pokemon?] the Snover asked.

Ash smiled. "I don't see why not."

He thought for a moment, then started the first dragon-slayer tale to come to mind. "This is a dragon slayer story that Brock has set to music." he explained to the Snover. "You could say it's his signature song.

With that, he started the story. "Long ago, while the king of a distant land was away at the battlefield, his wife, the queen, gave birth to twin sons. There was great rejoicing throughout the court and messengers were dispatched to the king to tell him the happy news." he begins over a calm melody. Both boys were healthy and strong, and grew up quickly like little trees. The one who was oh-so-slightly older was the hardier of the two. Even as a child he was always playing in the courtyard and struggling to climb on the back of a Ponyta that had been given to him when it was just a baby."

[Aw...] the Snover smiles, its eyes shining as it pictures a baby Ponyta....

---------

"..."The king and all the court were greatly disappointed; but their disappointment was swallowed up in their joy that the princesses had been miraculously saved." Ash went on some time later. "It wasn't long before Brian revealed himself as the hero to Princess Christina, but that only made her love for him deeper, and they were married not long after."

He concluded "Brian went on many more adventures with Epona, but that is another story for another day!"

Brock smiled as he led the applause. "If we have time, I'll be sure to sing the song, too."

He retrieved his guitar, then told the group "But now it's time for the main event--the tale of Moltres."

With that, he began "The king of a certain land had a beautiful garden which contained a number of very rare trees, but the rarest one of all was a Leppa tree. It stood in the middle of the garden, and produced shining crystal Leppa Berries every day. In the morning the flowers bloomed, during the day the fruit grew and ripened, and before nightfall, the berries were fully ripe. The next day the same thing happened, and this cycle would occur like clockwork every day. However, no Berries were left on the tree the following day. No one knew how, when, or why they disappeared, and this deeply grieved the king..."

To Be Continued...
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 87b: The Lonely Snover (part 2)

Dawn stretched as she emerged from her tent the next morning. "Mmm...a nice and sunny day..."

The Snover, meanwhile, snatched away Diddy's Pokechow bowl. [Hey, that's mine!] Diddy protested.

[Okay, okay...here you go.] The Snover assured Diddy as it handed back the bowl [I was just playing with you!]

Ash grinned as Diddy resumed eating breakfast. "Our Snover must like playing practical jokes..."

"Well, if you're gonna play jokes, just be sure they're funny but safe." Brock smiled as he started packing away his cooking gear and the camping gear. "Go round everyone up--we need to be on the road in case the weather catches us off guard."

Ash nodded. "Finish up, everyone! It's time to go!"

After receiving each of the empty Pokechow bowls, Ash performed a mental headcount on his team. Okay...Tintri's here on my shoulder...Tails, Diddy, Gaia, Estrella...where's Erin?

A crowd of Sneasel, Noctowls, Meditites, Delibirds and Swinub snapped Ash to attention. [As soon as Moltres heard her master’s voice; she shook her featers, making tem shine brighter tan ever.] he heard Erin say. [She danced in her cege, and sang so beautifully, te king was immediately healed, and it was as if a gret weight had been lifted off his heart. Moltres again burst into song...]

He listened in awe as the Lucario sang Gatrandis favel, secret, edena....
    Emusto ronzen fine el balaziis...
    Katoradis favel siicletu edena...
    Emusto koron zen fine, si...

Applause went up from the Pokemon. [Tis so moved the king tat he jumped from bed, and embraced te disguised prince out of sheer euphoria and gratitude.] Erin went on.

Ash recognized the story Erin was telling. This is 'Moltres' Song!' I can't just interrupt her performance, but then again, we have to go...

He heaved a relieved sigh as Erin finished the tale. [And so, Prince Brian married te beautiful Christine, and te king gave him half te kingdom as a wedding present. When te time came for te old king to join Arceus in heaven, Prince Brian ascended to te throne, and lived happily with his beloved Christine for many years.]

The wild Pokemon and Ash applauded. "That was very good, Erin!" Ash smiled as he, Dawn, Brock, and the Snover emerged from the brush. "But why did you decide to venture all the way out here?"

[A curious Sneasel wished te hear te Moltres story.] Erin explained as the wild Pokemon romped away. [So I tried to perform te fast version, because I heard ye callin' tat it was time te g-AAH!]

Ash gasped in horror as Mars locked Erin and the Snover in a cage. "Thought you could hide from us on a mountain top, Hat-boy?" Mars smirked as she hooked the cage to a winch connected to a hot air balloon.

"Tintri, try to break the cable with Thunderbolt!" Ash called.

"Need I remind you that winch rope is electricity proof?" Jupiter called down to Ash from the balloon's basket. "So your Pikachu's not gonna help here!"

Ash's heart pounded as he contemplated his options. "Erin, use Aura Sphere to destroy the cage!"

He smiled as Erin's attack blasted the cage open, causing a balloon the admins borrowed to descend. But his smile turned to shock when he saw Erin lose her footing and tuumble towards the ground! "ERIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!"

[I'll save you!] The Snover created a massive root with leaves, creating something soft for Erin to land on.

Ash led the others to the root. "I'll see if Erin's okay while you guys save the Snover!"

Dawn raced up the hill, making sure to keep the balloon in view. "Snover! Jump!"

[B-b-but I'm scared...] the Snover stammered.

"It's okay, I'll catch you!" Dawn held out her hands to catch the Snover. "Trust me, okay?"

About then, Erin came to. [Te little Snover's been nice to us, and I can't let those Galactic rogues Poke-nap it!] she growled as she gingerly stood up.

The Snover's cry for help seemed to renew her strength, much to the group's surprise! [Hear my name and tremble, you rogues! I am one of many Pokemon owned by te greatest Pokemon Master in te world, and I will not stand te see a friend Poke-napped!]

Dawn watched in amazement as Erin unleashed a mighty war cry, causing her to glow blue-white. "Wow--Erin used her aura power to regain her strength!"

Ash baled as Erin's claws began to glow and sharpen. "What in the world?"

Brock watched Erin clambered onto the side of the cliff in an attempt to track the balloon. "Erin is using Rock Climb--that should give her a hand in catching the admins!"

"Come on, Erin!" Ash cheered as Erin leaped and bounded over the cliffs, easily matching the height of the balloon. You can do it!"

Erin growled as the admins tried taking the balloon up higher. [Trying te run awey, are we? I'll go to te end of te world te save tis Snover, or die tryin'!"]

With that, she made a flying leap from the cliff, slashing the balloon with a mighty explosion! "Talk about packing a punch..." Ash noted as Erin landed by him seconds later.

Dawn gasped when she saw the Snover hurtling to the ground. "Oh no!"

Gatrandis favel, secret, edena... Brock began the Swanna Song as Erin jumped onto another cliff.

Emusto ronzen fine el balaziis...
    Katoradis favel siicletu edena...
    At this line, Erin gained a rainbow aura as she made a desperate leap to catch the Snover.

Emusto koron zen fine, si...

Erin dropped Snover into Brock's arms seconds later. [I got him.] she replied.

"What matters...is...the Snover...is safe..." Brock wheezed, tired from using his Swanna Song. I used...my Swanna Song...to help you..."

Ash hurried to Erin's side as she collapsed on the ground, exhausted. "Erin...that was a brave thing you did." he began. "I'm so proud of you!"

[Yeah, thanks for saving my life back there!] the Snover agreed as Ash massaged the winded Lucario...

---------

Later that afternoon, a crowd of kids gathered around the group. "What's that tree Pokemon with you?" a boy asked.

"What did you all find?" A woman Ash assumed was the children's teacher arrived some minutes later. "I see...you've all found a Snover."

"If it likes someone, it will offer one of the Berries growing on its body, which tastes like chocolate." Brock explained.

"The berries grow back in a few minutes, so you never have to worry about running out." Dawn agreed as the Snover offered the woman a Snoverberry.

The children cheered as the teacher accepted the berry and cut it in slices for them to enjoy. "You're right--it does taste like chocolate!" a girl raved as she bit into her share.

"Thank you, Snover; for giving us a sweet treat." the woman smiled.

She asked the group "Are any of you trainers?"

"I am!" Ash smiled as he watched some of the children and the Snover hurry off to play.

"I'm a Pokémon Coordinator, actually." Dawn replied.

"And I'm actually a Loremaster." Brock explained as he tuned his guitar in preparation to sing for a group of children.

"Have you arrived for the Sandalstraw Town Contest and Fantasy Stage at all?" the teacher asked. "It's only a few days away."

Dawn remembered something as Brock tuned. "Brock...would you mind if we tried each other's events for a change? So I would be competing in the Fantasy Stage, and Tarina gets her wish to compete in a Contest."

"Good idea!" Brock smiled. "We should get there in a day or so, and the festivities begin a few days after that."

Ash found the Snover resting under a tree. "We have to go tomorrow...but with your new friends, you shouldn't be lonely anymore."

[Don't worry--I'll be their bestest friend ever!] the Snover giggled before hugging Ash one last time...

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 88: Stopped in the Name of Love!

"Come on out, everyone!" Dawn called as she heaved her four Poke Balls skyward. "Even though we're not competing in the contest this time, that still doesn't change that we need one more Ribbon to enter the Grand Festival!"

She looked over as Kori ran to meet her and tripped. "Are you okay?" Dawn asked as Kori tried to get up, only to fall again.

"Well, fancy seeing you guys all the way out here!" a familiar voice smiled.

"Oh, Danielle, hello!" Dawn smiled as Danielle arrived in the yard. "It's been a while!"

"It has..." Danielle smiled. "Are you planning to enter the Sandalstraw Contest? I'm here because the Fantasia is going to be performing as part of the festivities."

Dawn was about to answer when she saw a pale blue aura form around Kori. "What in the..."

"Kori is starting to evolve into Prinplup." Barry explained as he joined the group in the yard. "A lot of Pokemon do this before the evolution happens."

The group watched as Kori braced herself, making the aura fade away. After a few minutes, she collapsed on the grass. "Let's take Kori inside--a sudden collapse could be something serious!" Brock motioned for the group to follow him inside..."

---------

"Is Kori okay?" Dawn asked as Nurse Joy met the group in the lobby.

"Kori's all right--she only needs to rest." Nurse Joy assured Dawn. "All the tests for more serious diseases came back negative."

"That's a relief..." Dawn smiled as she was reunited with Kori.

"However, I would still keep an eye on her just to be sure she has not contracted anything." Nurse Joy cautioned.

"Okay, then--thank you!" Dawn smiled as she departed.

She located the others enjoying dinner in a lounge near the on site food court. "It's still a bit of a shock that Kori is at the brink of evolution..." she mused as she found an empty seat at the table.

"I'm not surprised, considering how well you take care of her." Barry assured Dawn.

"It's nice that your Piplup is about to evolve, but the path to becoming Empoleon is only harder from here." Danielle cautioned. "And that's even if Kori wants to evolve in the first place."

"Prinplup is double the size of Piplup, meaning you'll have more to show off in Contests." Barry agreed.

"You'll also to adapt your battling style too, just like I adapted when Diddy evolved into Monferno." Ash added.

Dawn smiled as she contemplated what her friends had said. "It's like Satomi becoming Gardevoir---so how hard can this be?"

Brock watched as Dawn got up to get some food for herself. "Satomi evolved due to a combination of love and a Legendary's concern. Kori's attempt at trying to stop the evolution process may mean that Kori may not want to evolve at all."

"You mean, Pokemon that evolve due to experience can refuse to change too?" Dawn asked as she returned with a taco platter.

Brock nodded. "If a Pokemon doesn't want to evolve, that is their choice and their right. It might help if you try to get Kori's side of the story as to why she doesn't want to evolve."

Ash realized Brock had a point. "Pokemon may not want to change for many different reasons--Tintri refused to change because he felt he could surpass a Raichu in Pikachu form. Maybe Kori feels the same way."

Dawn thought for a moment. "Maybe I do need to talk to Kori...any suggestions as to how to have the talk?"

"Emphasize that you will not force them to evolve--and that evolution is their choice and their right." Brock suggested.

"Try to frame the discussion as you wanting to learn their rationale for not evolving." Ash suggested. Don't try to convince them why evolution is the way to go--their mind's likely made up already."

"You also don't want to tell them to 'let the evolution happen'." Danielle agreed. "That one phrase will come across as you not caring about their decision to not evolve. It may also ring down the curtain on your friendship."

"The last thing I want is Kori mad at me..." Dawn shuddered as she gathered up her trash. "At any rate, thanks for the tips, guys. I'll let you know how our discussion goes."

"Anytime." Brock smiled as he watched Dawn depart to the group's room.

"Moving on---would you guys be interested in helping me practice for the show?" Danielle asked.

"Whoa there--I don't sing." Barry protested.

"Relax, you can read the role of the king--he doesn't sing in the show." Danielle assured Barry as the group cleared the table.

"What part can I play?" Ash asked as he gathered up the trash.

"I'd be happy to play the role of a minstrel, if there is one." Brock offered.

"Come to think of it, there IS a minstrel in the show." Danielle grinned. "I'll give you all the context you guys need once we find a space we can rehearse in."

"The lounges should be a perfect stage!" Ash suggested as he followed Danielle, Brock, and Barry into a large lounge at the end of a hallway.

---------

"...She learns from one of the royal battlemages that the princess has been kidnapped by a Hydreigon, and the king is appealing for help far and wide for any hero that can rescue her." Danielle explained as her Alolan Ninetales Twinkle gave the boys their scripts. "The archer volunteers for the quest, alongside the battlemage she befriended, one of the royal knights, and the royal minstrel, who can sing magic in his song."

"Easy roles, for Dawn, Brock, and me; if you need understudies!" Ash smiled, excited.

"The king tells the group that the only thing that can kill the Hydreigon is the titular artifact, which was said to be forged from eight mystical jewels." Danielle concluded. "So, we'll start with the song conveying the archer's and the minstrel's loyalty to each other."

[Soundtrack is ready.] Twinkle reported as she inspected a large radio on a table that would be standing in for an orchestra.

"Track 5, please." Danielle requested.

Twinkle hit the PLAY button on the radio's CD player, making an ethereal melody drift into the room. In the wind, the flowers sway... Brock sang along with the male singer on the CD.
    In the sky, gentle clouds float...
    In the sea, the sun sparkles on the water...
    And in my heart, my song rises anew...

In happy times, we'll touch the sky together... Danielle sang along with the female singer on the CD.
    In sad times, I want to dry your tears...
    Our friendship will transcend time...
    The heroes have been gathered here!

No matter what trials may befall us,
    A triumphant voice rings across the battlefield!
    Brock continued over the male singer.
    That's a sign of the gratitude I have for my friends!

Some frantic footsteps spurred Twinkle to stop the CD. "Dawn's coming...and it doesn't sound good..." Ash mused as he set his script down on another table.

Dawn burst into the room moments later. "Forgive me for interrupting the rehearsal, but Kori's gone!"

"Gone?" Danielle asked.

"See, I was trying to talk to Kori about why she didn't want to evolve." Dawn explained. "I did everything you guys said to do, but she bolted outside in tears!"

"Let's go find her, and calm her down!" Ash suggested as he and the others followed Dawn outside into a forest.

"It makes sense why Kori was exhausted earlier--she was using Bide to stop the evolution process; which also burns a lot of energy." Brock mused. "We have to find her before a predator finds her in that weakened state!"

"Flora, help us find a lost Piplup!" Barry heaved a Poke Ball skyward as the group approached a fork in the forest path.

"We'll check to the south!" Ash called as he and Brock took a south path. "Meet back here in an hour!"

Just then, Dawn spotted a familiar aura coming from the north path. There she is..Kori has to be there!

---------

Dawn emerged from the brush and gasped when she found Kori stuck in a web, still glowing from the evolution aura. "Kori! I'm here to help y-!"

She gasped as an Ariados appeared. she rolled away from the sludge that red, gold, and purple spider Pokemon fired at her, desperately trying to reach a bush.

[Keep away from her, eight-legs!] Kori snapped as she heaved a Bubblebeam at the Ariados.

The attack freed Kori, sending her flying at a rock. "I gotcha!" Dawn leaped to catch her falling Piplup. "Are you okay?"

[I'm fine...but we're not out of the woods yet!] Kori replied, pointing out multiple Ariados about to fire a massive Hyper Beam!

Before Dawn could react, Kori fired a massive white beam at the crowd of Ariados! "Wow...what was that?" she asked as she cradled her exhausted Piplup.

[That was a Bide attack.] Kori wheezed. [You remember how you protected me at Lake Verity? I wanted to do the same for you. I shouldn't have to change to keep getting stronger. I can get stronger just the way I am.]

A smile formed on Dawn's face. "This is what I was trying to tell you before--if that message came across the wrong way, I'm sorry."

"There she is!" Ash and the others arrived moments later. "Is Kori okay?"

Dawn nodded. "I calmed her down, and told her I wasn't trying to force her to evolve or anything. She's happy just the way she is.

Barry smiled, relieved Dawn and Kori were okay. "Although...what was that massive white flash we saw before we found you?"

"That was Bide." Dawn explained as she rejoined the group. "It's a move with a decent appeal score, but you move later on the next turn...

---------

Back at the Pokemon Center, Nurse Joy delivered the group their teams. "Here you are, everyone--good as new!"

Ash gasps in surprise as Gaia glowed in his arms, transforming into a small, light green bipedal Pokémon with roses on its hands. "Well...at least one of us gets to see an evolution." he admitted as he read up on what Gaia had become:

<b>"Roselia, the thorn Pokemon. It shoots sharp thorns as projectiles at any opponent that tries to steal the flowers on its arms. The aroma of this Pokemon brings serenity to living things."</b>

"Speaking of evolution...I have something for you, Dawn." Nurse Joy offered Dawn a small rock with dot-like bumps on it. "This is an Everstone--it can prevent a Pokemon from ever evolving at all."

"Thank you..." Dawn replied as she carefully buried the Everstone deep into Kori's feathers.

She looked over at Danielle. "If you still need to practice for your big show, I can join in rehearsal, if you want me to."

"Well, you can join me and some of my fellow performers in a singing game..." Danielle offered. "Would you like to do that?"

"Yeah!" Ash and Dawn replied at nearly the same time.

"Me too." Brock smiled.

"I'll just work on appeals in the yard..." Barry stammered before dashing off, not wanting to sing again.

---------

"Okay...in this exercise, we're gonna explore one of the more important vocal skills that also applies to actors as well as musicians--making sure your voices blend well as a group." Danielle explained as she welcomed Ash, Dawn, and Brock to a large, open lounge in the Pokemon Center, where several other boys and girls were quietly talking.

"Welcome back, Danielle..." a boy smiled. "Now we can get started with the vocal improv."

"Not yet--I still have to explain the rules to these three--okay if they join in?" Danielle asked the group.

Affirmative murmurs wafted back in reply. "We're gonna do what's called a vocal improvisation." Danielle explained. "Starting with a single note, we'll sing something based around that note, and keep the resulting melody going for as long as possible. There's no one 'correct' note or melody you have to sing--whatever would sound good to you, the people around you, and the overall melody."

"I've got a pitch pipe to give the starting note..." Brock offered as he fished his guitar pitch pipe from a pocket in his bag.

"Ooh, it's one of the nice chromatic ones!" Danielle smiled when she saw the tiny silver instrument in Brock's hands.

"Chromatic pitches are nice to have when you play in alternate tunings or use capos often." Brock agreed. "D okay for the starting note?"

"Works for me." Danielle replied as Brock set the pitch pipe. "Remember--the goal is to keep a nice melody going for as long as possible--not reproducing dots on a page."

"Right!" Ash replied as Brock blew a D note in the direction of the performers to signal the key of the improv.

Once everyone was ready, Brock started singing a droning bass line that evoked a string bass, snapping in time to his gibberish vocals to establish a beat. Danielle harmonized a third above Brock's singing and snapping, with Dawn harmonizing a third above Danielle. Inspired, Ash decided to sing some nonsense lyrics that mimicked a harmonica, spurring the other performers to add in more layers of jazzy harmonies, and even using the furniture as percussion...

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 89: Old Rivals, New Tricks

In an open field not far from Sandalstraw Town, Brock, Dawn, Tintri, Tarina, and Kori watched as Danielle walked Ash through the basics of a stage sword fight. "Ash must be a natural at this..." Brock smiled as Ash parried Danielle's attack in slow motion.

"Uh, Dawn? Shouldn't you be focusing on the Contest tomorrow?" a voice asked.

Dawn whirled around to see Barry approaching the group. "Actually, I'm going to compete in the Fantasy Stage while Brock competes in the Contest."

"What?" Barry gasped. "Never knew you moonlighted as a storyteller..."

I thought it would be fun to see what Brock experiences in the Fantasy Stage, and he get a taste of a Shinou Contest." Dawn explained.

"Okay...who's he using in the Contest?" Barry was intrigued.

Dawn gestured to Tarina. "This is Tarina. She's special to Brock, and is--as far as I know--the only Pichu with a costume."

Barry smiled. "She looks very regal in that cape and hat--perfect for a Contest!"

He noticed Ash and Danielle finishing their stage fighting lesson. "Looks like the battle's over, for now."

"Remember, you are NOT trying to defeat your opponent, and they are NOT trying to kill you." Danielle reminded Ash as Twinkle gathered up the prop swords and put them away. "Your goal is to create the realistic illusion of fighting for your life, and do it safely."

"Got it." Ash replied.

"You can take a break for now--we'll have an acting lesson next." Danielle then hurried off to set up her next lesson for Ash.

"While I'm on break, got any ideas for what you want to tell in the Fantasy Stage tomorrow?" Ash asked Dawn.

"Not really..." Dawn confessed.

"There should be a library in town." Barry suggested. "There should be plenty of stories you can pick!"

"I've got some time before my next lesson, so I can take you there to get some story ideas." Ash offered.

"Sure." Dawn smiled. "If we don't find anything there, I can always ask Brock for ideas!"

---------

"Got yourself a story you want to tell?" Brock asked as she and Ash returned from the library with a pile of folktale books some time later.

"I have it narrowed down to 'The Grepa Vine' or 'The Celestial Harp'." Dawn replied.

Brock thought for a moment. "Both of those are fairly challenging, but I'll let you in on a secret--you only really have to memorize your first line and your last line."

"Sounds easy enough, but what about everything in between 'Once upon a time' and 'And they all lived happily ever after?' Dawn wondered.

"Protip: Learn the story as a whole rather than in fragments." Brock grinned. "One way to do this is simplify its structure to a simple outline of scenes. Again, don't try to memorize it, but if you have to memorize SOMETHING, make it your first and last line."

Okay--what else?" Dawn asked as she reached for a piece of paper to take notes.

"Dialog should make use of different voices for different characters." Brock explained. "This does not necessarily mean have an arsenal of voices like I do, but at least adjust your tone of voice to suit each character."

"I'll leave the mimicry to you, then." Dawn smiled as she wrote down what Brock had said.

"You can also use your voice to create the atmosphere or tension as the story progresses." Brock went on. "Have you noticed that I tend to vary my tone of voice and volume to fit what is going on in the story's world?"

"Yeah--I can tell when you're about to do a jump scare when you suddenly get very quiet--AND THEN GET VERY LOUD!" Dawn proclaimed, startling Tarina.

[That's about right...] Tarina giggled.

"While the voice is the most important instrument a storyteller has, gestures and facial expressions add much to the visualization of the story." Brock went on. "Be sure they are appropriate and natural. Practice is key!"

"Got it!" Dawn smiled as she copied down Brock's advice...

---------

The next day, Dawn located Barry watching Danielle and Ash performing an acting exercise in a field. "Barry? Would you mind being my test audience so I can practice for the Fantasy Stage?"

"Sure, I'll listen." Barry replied as Dawn stepped on a pallet of empty crates. "When you're ready."

Dawn took a few deep breathes to calm the Beautiflies in her stomach, then started her story. "There was once a wealthy farmer who had three sons. The oldest--whose name is not important--was a selfish and overbearing fellow..."

In the field, Danielle explained to Ash. "One common exercise we use to think about characters is to think about how Pokemon would act. Sometimes, this can be used as a lesson in comedy. Other times, it's an exploration of character, which is the slant I'm taking."

She looked at Tintri watching the unfolding lesson from a tree. "So, how do you think Pikachu would act? The goal is to not mimic a Pokemon, but portray character traits and emotions inspired by Pokemon."

"Okay..." Ash thought for a moment. "Pikachu is energetic...joyous...happy...adventurous...courage ous..."

He noticed Satomi watching him, unaware of Dawn performing for Barry a few feet away. "Gardevoir is calm, relaxed, doesn't anger easily, wise...sensitive to others' needs..."

"Both of those are good descriptions." Danielle smiled. "Now, let's put those descriptions into practice by improvising a musical scene--we'll just make up the tune, the words and the reason for the song. Try to complement me as best as you can!"

"Need a note to start?" Brock asked as he retrieved his pitch pipe from a pocket.

"Any key's fine." Danielle replied.

"Okay, here's an E for you..." Brock then blew an E note in Danielle's direction.

[Isn't your guitar pitch pipe always set to a mi anyway?] Tarina asked as she looked through what Contest coords Brock had acquired.

Brock nodded. "So long as the low mi is in tune, you can use that to tune the other five strings."

In the field, Satomi watched Danielle's and Ash's improvised performance in awe. Every heart has desires hidden deep within... Danielle sang.

Furious sparks fly between this clash of dark and light! Ash sang back in reply.

He grinned back at the starry eyed Gardevoir watching him. As I wield my blade I head into the unknown tomorrow...

It seems as though it's encouraging me, this beautiful light... Danielle sang back in reply.

Is this going to end in just a dream?
    Wouldn't it be like unrequited love?
    both Danielle and Ash sang together.
    Dreams exist so we can fulfill them
    And we will find them!

Applause snapped both Danielle and Ash from their heroic poses. "That was great!" Brock raved.

Bravo! Encore! Satomi agreed as she applauded.

Satomi's cry snapped Dawn to attention. "Satomi? Were you wanting to compete in a Contest?"

Uh, no...I was cheering Ash on in their little play before... Satomi replied. But I do wish you the best of luck in the Fantasy Stage!

---------

Later, in the Contest Hall, Marion revealed the theme for the Visual competition. "You're aiming for a gaudy look this time."

[That should be easy!] Tarina smiled as she bounded backstage.

Brock--now in a green and white outfit with silvery knotwork--explained to Tarina what was about to happen. "When Marion gives the signal, quickly pick out five of the Accessories in here, and I'll put them on you. The gaudiest Pokemon, wins."

Tarina braced herself as the number 60 appeared on the clock. "Ready...set...GO!" Marion called, sending the backstage area into a flurry of activity as the coordinators hurried to dress their Pokemon...

---------

In the Fantasy Stage theater, Dawn sighed as she made her way to the stage for the Free Performance. That Creative round was a disaster... she sighed as she saw her ID number towards the bottom of the scoreboard. How was I supposed to know how to make a story about a devout minstrel?

She sighed as she stepped onstage, the lights making the silver studs on her purple and blue costume glitter. Here's hoping 'The Grepa Vine' salvages my score!

With that, she swallowed hard and began "There was once a wealthy farmer who had three sons. The oldest--whose name is not important--was a selfish and overbearing fellow. The second--his name is not important either--was a weak hearted young man who always did everything his brother suggested..."

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 90a: The Path to Stardom (part 1)

"So how did trading places in each other's events go?" Ash asked as he met the others in one of the Pokemon Center's TV lounges.

"Not as bad as I feared--'The Grepa Vine' salvaged a bad start, so I ultimately finished third." Dawn replied as she admired her bronze Fantasy Stage medallion.

"Tarina did very well, so that eased the sting of Barry edging past her for the win on the last appeal." Brock replied. "She was a little nervous in the Visual, but easily won over the crowd in the Dance competition, which gave us a good start in the Appeal competition."

[I'm just happy I even got to be in a Contest.] Tarina smiled as she admired her reflection in Brock's silver medallion. [What matters is we tried our best.]

Dawn nodded in agreement. "Well, I have a new appreciation for what you do in the Fantasy Stage, Brock--you have a real gift as a storyteller, musician, and actor."

"Well, if you have some stories from Shinou I could learn and tell, please don't hesitate to tell them for me." Brock replied as he stretched out on a sofa and invited Tarina onto his chest. "I'm also doing research as well as performing, so I can learn as much about a region's lore and traditional music as I can, and how it's connected between regions."

How fascinating. Satomi smiled as she warped into the room with a tray of snacks for the group to enjoy.

Some frantic footsteps got Ash's attention. "What in the..."

"Danielle!" Dawn gasped. "She looks like something terrible happened!"

"You're right--I do have a huge problem on my hands." Danielle breathlessly explained as Satomi guided her to a chair. "You remember that I said that the Fantasia is here to put on a show as part of all the Contest and Fantasy Stage festivities?"

"Yeah...what about it?" Ash wondered.

"Here's the problem--the actors slated to play my co-stars in the show have all had to drop out for one reason or another, and their regular understudies can't come to Sandalstraw due to other commitments." Danielle explained. "My question is, can you three learn the roles for the battlemage, the knight, and the minstrel in 'The Celestial Wizard's Bow'?"

"Sure!" Ash smiled. "I'd be happy to put what you've been teaching me to good use."

"Sounds fun." Dawn smiled. "I'd love to improve my acting skills..."

"You need a minstrel--I'll be there." Brock smiled before motioning to Tarina he needed to get up.

"Okay then!" Danielle smiled, relieved the show would go on.

She remembered three scripts in her bag, and gave them to the group. "Here you go--your role's lines are highlighted. You have a week to learn all your characters' lines, songs, and acts."

Tarina smiled as Brock looked through the minstrel's script. [At least the costume crew won't need to make you a costume--you have your own!]

A changing screen gave Brock an idea. "Maybe I should get out my Fantasy Stage costume..." he mused as he opened his bag and took the now familiar purple, red, and gold outfit out.

"If anything, it should get you more into character." Dawn agreed as she helped Ash arrange the lounge's furniture into a suitable practice space...

---------

The Festival Theater hummed with activity as people arrived to watch the Fantasia Company's show a week later. Brock was already in costume, warming up on his guitar as he watched the audience take their seats from the wings. "All right...since Brock has his costume already, only you two get costumes for the show." Danielle, now in a green ranger's garb, smiled as some of the costume crew brought over a costume that resembled a Final Fantasy red mage and a set of prop chain with a pale green sheen, complete with a winged tiara.

"Nice, I get to be a red mage." Ash smiled as he accepted the beautiful red, white, and gold outfit.

"Love the winged tiara..." Dawn smiled as she accepted the pale green chain.

Brock motioned for Tarina to come to him as Ash and Dawn hurried to change into costume. "Okay, Tarina...while you don't really have any lines or songs in the show, you get to dance, and you get to fight. We come on not long after the narrator sets the scene and Danielle finishes her first monologue--I do the Dance of the Raindrops, which stuns Marya--as she has never seen a minstrel sing magic before..."

[So you're effectively singing the water on the stage?] Tarina asked.

Brock nodded. "It's not real water--just cool lighting effects to look like it is raining. Anyway, once Danielle's character tells me she's going to the royal city, I'll whistle for you..."

"...all you really have to do is sit on my shoulder like always." Ash explained. "Our first scene is in the royal castle. I tell Marya--Danielle's character, and Leo, Brock's character--that Princess Eliana has been kidnapped by a Hydreigon, and the king is appealing for help far and wide for any hero that can rescue her..."

"...then once Brock's character and Ash's character affirm their support for Danielle's character, we come on." Dawn explained to Kori as she slipped on a silver tiara similar to hers on Kori's head. "All you have to do is mirror my movements and look brave--can you do that?"

[Sounds easy enough...] Kori smiled as she and Rio admired each other's headgear.

[Do the songs and the dances have proper names?] Tintri asked Danielle. ['Song of X' and 'Dance of the X' sounds boring!]

"Yes, and no." Danielle explained. "They are called 'Song of X' and 'Dance of the X' on the program to make it easy for the cast and the audience to follow. On the soundtrack of the show, the songs and the dances get proper names. So Leo's first appearance, for example, is called 'Singer of the Rain' on the soundtrack."

[That makes sense.] Tintri mused as he bounded on Ash's shoulder to await the start of the show.

The lights flashed a five minute warning, snapping the group's teams to attention. [It's starting!] Tails gasped as the lights went down.

Good luck, everyone... Satomi smiled as she hovered to the wings to watch. Make Danielle and the company proud!

---------

The orchestra began a majestic overture that evoked a time of magic, high adventure, and epic quests. "Once upon a time, in a far away land, there lived a brave young ranger named Marya." a narrator began. "Marya made a living guiding travelers through the eastern forest; but one day, she began to wonder what lay beyond the forest. She decided to travel to the royal city, where she hoped she would find an opportunity to be known as a great hero..."

[Blah blah blah...] Diddy sighed as the narrator continued speaking. [When are we gonna see some cool dungeons and dragon Pokemon to slay?]

[Be petient.] Erin replied as she watched Danielle say her first lines onstage. [Ye always have te set up te story befar ye tell te excitin' part.]

[Speaking of exciting parts, I think Brock's on!] Tails called as the sound effect of thunder played and "rain" began falling onstage.

"Rain?" Danielle mused as she watched the "rain" falling around her. "The sky was clear moments before..."

The orchestra struck up a mystical melody moments later. Brock appeared in a spotlight, singing some nonsense gibberish, playfully skipping, jumping and twirling through the "rain", to the awe of Danielle, the Pokemon watching backstage, and the audience...

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 90b: The Path to Stardom (part 2)

Later, Ash stepped onto the majestic castle set. "Hail and well met to thee, hero...what brings you here to the castle?"

"I came because I heard the princess was kidnapped." Danielle explained. "That, and His Majesty has appealed far and wide for any hero to rescue her."

Ash nodded. "It is not a mere mortal that has taken her..." he intoned over the orchestra. "...but a terrifying Hydreigon."

Danielle seemed unfazed. "I would still go to the ends of the world, and slay a thousand Hydreigons to see the princess safe."

Ash took a breath to calm the Beautiflies in his stomach as the orchestra played the introduction to a song. Here we go--Hadrion's quick song pledging his loyalty!

With that, he sang The hand of destiny has guided you here...
    Your arrival was not the mercy of chance
    Let us pledge ourselves to a dream of heroes...
    And we will make it come true!

[Way to go, Ash!] Tails smiled from backstage as the orchestra moved into a majestic swell.

Even if you stumble on the broken road,
    Even if the tailwind is strong....
    Ash went on.
    Don't forget you have someone on your side.

"Thank you, Sir Hadrion, for offering your services on my journey." Danielle replied when the applause for Ash's song died down.

"Helping someone in need, with both might and magic--that is the way of the battlemage." Ash smiled. "If you like, I can introduce you and your minstrel companion to His Majesty..."

[Blah blah blah...] Diddy sighed as the lights went down, then came up on the set of a beautiful throne room. [When are we gonna get to the quest already?]

[Once Dawn comes on, and Brock and Danielle sing teir song, ten te story's quest will begin.] Erin reminded Diddy. [Joost a leetle bit longer, okey?]

[Okay...] Diddy sighed.

The Monferno snapped to attention as Dawn appeared in a nook by stage right. "...the only thing that can kill the Hydreigon is the Celestial Wizard's Bow, which was said to be forged from eight mystical jewels." the boy playing the king explained. "Are you sure you wish to undertake such a dangerous quest?"

"If that is what they wish to do, milord, I will happily lend one of the royal blades to their cause." Dawn vowed she she stepped in the scene, bowing before the boy playing the king.

"I too, will lend my magic to their aid." Ash agreed.

Gaia recognized the song the orchestra was starting to play. [Brock and Danielle's song from before!]

In the wind, the flowers sway... Brock sang.
    In the sky, gentle clouds float...
    In the sea, the sun sparkles on the water...
    And in my heart, my song rises anew...

In happy times, we'll touch the sky together... Danielle sang.
    In sad times, I want to dry your tears...
    Our friendship will transcend time...
    The heroes have been gathered here!

No matter what trials may befall us,
    A triumphant voice rings across the battlefield!
    Brock continued.
    That's a sign of the gratitude I have for my friends!

The Pokemon did not expect Ash and Dawn to have verses in the song! I have a dream I cannot surrender... Ash sang.
    I have a world I want to protect...
    No matter how far, evil may run,
    My magical arrow will chase after it like a shooting star!

The light of wisdom pours into the sea... Dawn sang.
    The singing voice of the golden phoenix spreads far and wide
    The light of hope dries the tears of the people...
    In the wild land, rain falls, bringing the desert to life...
    That is my vow, to bring my kingdom hope!

The group then laid their hands on top of each other. For the kingdom... Dawn began.

For this world... Ash was next.

For the people... Brock sang.

For this land... Danielle laid her hand on top of the others.

Our journey will transcend time...
    The heroes have appeared!
    the group triumphantly sang, to thunderous applause.

Backstage, the Pokemon's applause was equally enthusiastic. [Wow!] Lola raved as she applauded. [That was amazing!]

[It's just Act 1, so it's only getting better from here!] Stormy smiled.

[Finally, we start the quest!] Diddy smiled.

The orchestra playing an ominous stinger snapped the Pokemon to attention. [Uh oh...] Diddy swallowed hard.

[Bad guy incoming...] Tails was just as nervous.

Hinata recognized the red costume the boy on the stage wore. [If it isn't that iconic folk tale bad guy, Ritter the Red...]

[We kinda need a bad guy for a good story...] Diddy admitted.

Stormy stuck out her tongue as the Ritter the Red actor started his first song. "So they think they will become heroes, will they..." he mused over the music before singing I will not let anyone interfere
    With my own grand designs!

"Boo"s filled the theater as the Ritter the Red actor went on They're in the middle of their journey,
    Unaware of my genius plot,
    They're in the middle of their journey,
    But they'll return as one dark blot!

They stand no chance at finding the divine jewels,
    The Hydreigon, would surely burn them to dust!
    In the meantime, the king will hail me as the hero,
    So I will do whatever I must!

The stars are glimmering
    Even if I still haven’t reached them...
    But if even a little Pikachu can triumph over his foe,
    I can triumph, too!

[Yeah, but Ritter the Red's ambitions and what Sorin does are not the same thing!] Stormy protested as the lights went down.

[A lesson Ritter the Red always learns too late.] Kage reminded Stormy as the set of a forest appeared on the stage...

To Be Continued...