Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 58a: Our Cup Runneth Over (part 1)

"The Contest world is on fire as Contest Master Wallace comes to Shinou!" Rhonda began. "Many of you know Wallace is the former Sootopolis City Gym Leader, and current Hoenn League Champion. Many more of you know that he ventured into Pokémon Contests, and went beyond Grand Coordinator, becoming a Contest Master. Considered to be the pride and envy of Pokémon Coordinators everywhere, Wallace travels around the world hosting the Wallace Cup, a special event open to all Coordinators from all over the world. This year's competition will take place at Lake Valor, and entries are pouring in from all over the world..."

Dawn gasped as she watched the unfolding report. "You hear that? Wallace is coming to Lake Valor! They say he's won every Contest and Grand Festival he's ever entered!"

She hurried out to the yard with Lola. "Let's go tell the boys!"

---------

"Gaia, use Energy Ball!" Ash called to his Pokemon. "Tintri, use Iron Tail!"

[HAH!] Tails blocked Tintri's silvery tail.

[Let's go out for a little spin!] Tintri smirked before spinning his tail in circles, throwing Tails across the yard.

Ash couldn't resist laughing as Tails went flying, landing at the west end of the yard. "You okay, Tails?"

[When you said Tintri packs a punch, you weren't kidding!] Tails wheezed as he waited for his vision to clear.

"Great work, everyone!" Ash smiled. "We'll make a splash at Pastoria Gym for sure!"

"Seems Tintri learned a thing or two from Nitro, Sho's Raichu." Brock smiled as he watched Lola and Tintri dance to the music from the Pokemon Center's PA system.

"I'm planning on using Electric and Grass Pokémon to get the upper hand in my upcoming match." Ash explained. "Besides, you said the Pastoria City Gym Leader is known to use Water-type Pokémon."

"That's true, so training Gaia and Tintri is a good idea." Brock replied.

"The question is, who else could I use besides Tintri and Gaia?" Ash wondered. "I'll need a backup in case either one of them fall..."

[Pick me!] Erin called. [I culd turn te tide for ye!]

Dawn smiled as she watched Ash assure Erin that she would get a chance to fight, but she wasn't ready for a Gym match yet. Ash is so cool--it helps his training style is amazing, too.

I agree wholeheartedly. Satomi agreed as she warped by Dawn's side.

She approached Ash as he tidied up the yard. "You know, I love how you give your all in whatever you do--training or something else. That, and how do you just bounce back from a loss?"

"There really is no big secret." Ash replied. "Just cheer for your Pokemon when things go right, comfort them when things go wrong, and just be there for them through it all.

Dawn nodded, and shepherded her team close to her. "I know you guys been worried about me since the Solaceon Contest. But things are looking up--we can still reach the Grand Festival if we all work hard and believe in each other!"

Dawn's team cheered as Nurse Joy arrived with the Shinou News Now crew. "Forgive me for interrupting your training, but--!" Nurse Joy started.

Ash facepalmed when he heard a familiar guitar playing an F chord. Joy, oh Joy, would you marry me now? Brock sang to the tune of a folk song. With a--!

[Oh no, big guy, she cannot marry you, for she has a lover of her own!] Kage shot back as he dragged Brock away, guitar and all.

"So, what can we do for you, Rhonda?" Ash asked, trying oh so hard not to laugh at Brock's humiliated look.

"Have you guys seen Wallace around here at all?" Rhonda asked.

"No, why?" Dawn wondered as she combed out an errant tangle. "Do you want to interview him, or something?"

"Who's he?" Ash wondered.

Rhonda showed the boys a back issue of PokeChic depicting a young man with blue-green hair in a sailor-like suit with a Milotic. "He is one of the very few Contest Masters in the world."

"Every coordinator, myself included, wants to meet Wallace at least once in their lives." Dawn explained. "To give you an idea of how good he is, a Contest Master is beyond a Grand Coordinator or a Divine Coordinator. Only a select few coordinators ever get that good."

"So a Grand Coordinator is someone that won their first Grand Festival." Brock guessed. "A Divine Coordinator has won a lot more, and a Contest Master has won too many to count?"

"Something like that." Rhonda replied. There are more ranks of coordinator between those three ranks, however."

She changed the subject. "Wallace regularly travels across the world holding and promoting Pokémon Contests bearing his name, the Wallace Cup. The ribbon you win there, the Aqua Ribbon, counts as an official ribbon at any contest anywhere in the world. As I said in my earlier report, this year's Wallace Cup is taking place at Lake Valor."

"It's worth a shot." Brock mused as he showed Dawn MapNav. "Lake Valor is right on the way to Pastoria City."

"Sign me up, then!" Dawn smiled. "Where is Wallace now? I've always wanted to get appeal advice from a master!"

"Well, today is his day off." Rhonda admitted. "His whole staff won't tell me where he is, but sources tell me he's somewhere near here. Besides, a piece on what Wallace does offstage would be priceless."

As the crew turned to leave, she told the group "If you see Wallace anywhere, let me know!"

"We will!" Ash smiled back as he waved goodbye.

To Be Continued...
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 58b: Our Cup Runneth Over (part 2)

"Next question--where was Wallace last spotted?" Ash wondered as the group walked through a forest.

Brock snapped to attention when he heard an ethereal human-like voice in the distance. "That voice...something's here!"

"Come on!" Ash, led the way through the brush. When the group emerged into the mist on a lake, they spotted a familiar cream serpentine Pokemon with sparkling scales and pink "hair". "A Milotic..." Ash gasped as the beautiful serpent Pokemon continued singing for a teal haired man in a sailor-like outfit.

"Reminds me of Ardan's Milotic, Tenko." Brock remembered.

Dawn decided to read up on the lovely Pokemon:

"Milotic, the tender Pokemon. Its lovely scales are described as rainbow colored. They change color depending on the viewing angle.

"I see..." Dawn mused as she noticed the man on a rock nearby. "Wallace!" she called, waving to get the man's attention.

"Hello there, miss." Wallace smiled as he got up from the rock and approached the group. "I am honored you and your companions came all this way to see me and Celeste."

"Well, I've always wanted to see you." Dawn explained. "As an aspiring coordinator myself, I thought it would be best to learn from a master."

"Being a master coordinator is not easy." Wallace explained. "Since I have been here, I have made the rounds on all the talk shows, done hundreds of press conferences, and even at the hotel, my fans gather just to see me."

"Wow..." Ash gasped.

"This was why I asked the staff for a day off to spend some quality time with Celeste." Wallace smiled.

Something occurred to him. "Oh listen to me ramble! I never thought to ask your names..." he chuckled.

"I'm Dawn..." Dawn replied, and these two are my trainer companion Ash..."

"Hi!" Ash smiled.

"...and Brock, or navigator and renaissance man." Dawn gestured to Brock, who was keeping a watchful eye on Tintri and Kori.

"Pleased to meet you." Brock replied as he watched Tintri and Kori romp through the shallows with Celeste.

"Celeste is so pretty..." Dawn smiled. "How do you take care of something so beautiful?"

"It's not about what beauty products you use, or their training regimen." Wallace explained. "Above all, the bond you share with your Pokemon informs everything else you do."

Just like Ash has said before.... Dawn smiled. "Um, I won't tell anyone you're here. Forgive me if I disturbed your day off..."

"Oh no, it's all right!" Wallace assured Dawn. "I enjoy mentoring the next generation of superstars--trainer and coordinator alike."

"All right--I'm hoping to enter your Cup." Dawn explained. "I've struggled a lot on my Contest journey, and need help with appeals."

"Okay--do you feel comfortable showing me some appeals?" Wallace asked. "Once I have a look at what you do on the contest stage, we can determine what you are doing well, and what needs work."

"I-I don't have anything prepared yet..." Dawn confessed.

"Even though I'm primarily a trainer, I do have a Contest Pass, and I have competed in a few competitions." Ash explained. "So why don't Dawn and I have a little appeal demo?"

"A marvelous idea." Wallace smiled. "You're not the first trainer that has moonlighted as a coordinator, and you likely won't be the last."

---------

"Tails, come on out!" Ash called, revealing his Buizel to Wallace.

"Come on Kori!" Dawn shepherded her Piplup by her.

"Dawn is trying to follow in her mother's footsteps as a Grand Coordinator." Brock explained as he watched Ash and Dawn make their preparations. "The name Joanna Solberg ring a bell? Dawn is her daughter."

"Yes--Joanna has always been a legend on the Contest scene, and it is always exciting when daughter follows mother, or son follows father." Wallace smiled.

Brock stepped before Ash and Dawn. "Okay--here's how this is going to work. Each of you will get a chance to do one appeal of your choice at a time. There's no scoring, no pressure--just a friendly demonstration. After each of you have appealed once, Wallace will offer feedback for each of you. That fair?"

"Those are fair rules." Wallace replied.

"No qualms here." Ash replied.

"No questions for me." Dawn replied.

Brock dug a coin from a pocket. "We'll determine who goes first with a coin flip."

He showed Ash and Dawn the coin. "Pikachu face is heads...Kanto League crest is tails."

"Heads!" Ash called as Brock flipped the coin.

"Tails!" Dawn called.

Brock checked the coin when it landed in the grass. "It's heads...Ash will go first."

Ash thought for a moment, then heaved a Frisbee over the water. "Tails, use Aqua Jet!"

Wallace watched Tails use Aqua Jet to power over the water and catch the Frisbee as water rained around him. "Very nice! If this was a real Contest, you would be first to appeal on the second turn."

"Kori, use Whirlpool!" Dawn called.

Wallace watched in awe as Kori created a shimmering Whirlpool that rippled over the lake. "Impressive!" he smiled. "Were this a real contest, you would have a nice combo with Aqua Jet."

"Really?" Dawn was impressed.

"It would also temporarily halt the excitement meter for the rest of the turn." Wallace explained. "You can use this tactic when the meter is about to max to guarantee that you will max the meter out and earn a lot of hearts."

"Interesting...I'll keep that in mind!" Dawn smiled.

"Now then...on to your feedback for the first round." Wallace began. "Ash...since Tails is fond of battling, it would be interesting to see his moves in a Contest. Maybe you should participate in the Wallace Cup too."

"Are you sure?" Ash asked. "Contests and battles are way different from each other--I doubt I would be any good on that big a stage."

"I would love to see you participate--Tintri could have the talent, as well." Dawn smiled. "How will you know you won't do well unless you try?"

"Okay...if we can find me a costume, I'll consider entering with Tintri." Ash replied.

"All right, now for you, Dawn." Wallace began. "You have a nice selection of moves for Kori, and you have clearly spent a lot of time polishing them. However, I fear that you may be focusing too much on well-rehearsed moves. If you allow the Pokemon to relax and be itself, it will feel more at ease onstage, and make better appeals."

"How do I go about keeping it natural?" Dawn asked.

"Concentrate on a Pokémon's basic attributes--be this Coolness, Beauty, Cuteness, Smartness, or Toughness." Wallace replied. "As important as it is to work hard, don't forget to play hard too."

To Be Continued...
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 58c: Our Cup Runneth Over (part 3)

The group balked as Mars, as Marta, emerged from the brush. "Hi there, Sir Wallace--my name's Marta--!"

It suddenly dawned on Mars who she was talking to. "Oh, Arceus, you're THE Wallace???

Jupiter facepalmed from the brush as Mars cornered Wallace and Celeste. "Oh wow! I never dreamed I'd see a Contest Master up close! They say you're better than a Grand Coordinator!"

"It seems my reputation has preceded me." Wallace smiled, unfazed by the starstruck Mars.

Dawn was equally impressed. "I'm amazed Wallace didn't look unnerved by Marta getting in his face like that!"

"He's probably used to fans getting a little too close for comfort, so it takes a lot for someone like Wallace to get rattled." Brock suggested.

Wallace gently pushed Mars away. "As I was saying before we were rudely interrupted...as important as it is to work hard, don't forget to play hard too."

He motioned for Celeste to take to the water. "Now that you have shown me some appeals, it's my turn to show you some of my favorites."

Ash opened his Pokedex and set the movelist to Contest mode. "So I can tell you what Wallace's moves are and what they do in a Contest scenario." he explained to Dawn.

"Okay, Celeste...start the music!" Wallace called.

The Milotic obediently tapped PLAY on Wallace's PokeNav, then swam out into the water, surrounding herself with mist and a pale green light as a regal Celtic melody played.

"That was Safeguard--it is a Beautiful move that relaxes both Pokemon and the audience." Ash explained.

He watched as a ring of bubbles circled elegantly around Celeste. "That was Aqua Ring--it is a Beautiful move that makes up for its low Appeal by combining with Safeguard."

He watched Celeste fire an orb of purple energy into the sky, dispersing the bubbles with a purple-blue explosion. "That was Dragon Pulse--it is a very appealing Beautiful move that can combine with most any Dragon type move." he explained as Celeste took a bow for the group and Mars.

Jupiter emerged from the brush and gently petted Celeste. "Her skin is so soft..."

She jumped away as Celeste gathered wind and water around her, then sent it flying. "That was Twister--a very appealing Cool move that can combine with Dragon Pulse for an amazing combo." Ash explained.

Mars' applause was the most enthusiastic. "Can you teach my Purugly Aqua Ring?"

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Purugly can't learn Aqua Ring." Wallace replied, making Mars sweatdrop.

"Thanks, Wallace--I learned quite a bit!" Dawn smiled as she hugged Wallace.

"Yeah, thanks for the show!" Ash agreed.

"And thank you, for showing me your skills." Wallace replied. "I hope to see you two in the Cup soon."

He motioned for Celeste. "Come on, Celeste...it's time to go."

---------

Later, the group watched on a TV as Wallace gave yet another interview to a Contest show. "While I did learn a lot today, I think I still have a long way to go before being able to appreciate what's truly special about my Pokémon." Dawn mused.

"Well, remember what Wallace said--you need to play as hard as you work." Brock reminded Dawn.

"That, and you just need to let your Pokemon be themselves instead of focusing on big shows all the time." Ash agreed.

"Forgive me for interrupting your conversation, but you have a call waiting for you." Nurse Joy explained as she approached Ash.

"Really? Who from?" Ash asked, intrigued.

"Someone named May Alder." Nurse Joy replied.

An excited look formed on Ash's face. "I'll be right there!"

"I've wondered what became of May after we left Houen..." Brock agreed as Ash hurried to the call center to take his call.

Ash looked over each of the video phones until he found one with a blinking green light--the signal that a call was coming in. After hitting the ACCEPT button, he smiled at the familiar image of a brown haired girl with a green bandanna on the screen. "Hello?"

"Ash, hi!" May smiled back. "Have you heard about the Wallace Cup?"

"Oh, you're competing in that too?" Ash asked. "I was thinking to compete myself..."

May nodded. "If all goes well, me and my team should meet you by Lake Valor tomorrow morning--then we can get you a costume, and catch up on what's happened since the Eterna dance contest..."

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 59a: Our Own Brand of Power! (part 1)

Ash watched as the water of Lake Valor rippled with the sunshine beaming on the water. "Any sign of her yet?" Dawn asked as she arrived with Kori.

"Not yet." Ash replied as he kept an eye on the lake and the sparkling water. "I did have a nice chat with May last night..."

"Oh? What all did you talk about?" Dawn asked as Brock joined them on the pier.

"Basically how she's doing in Johto, how you've been since the dance contest, and where she'll go from here after Johto." Ash replied. "She still remembers you, and is excited to be competing with you in a real contest."

Just then, Dawn spotted a Beautifly flitting across the lake. "Is that..." Dawn gasped as she consulted her Pokedex:

"Beautifly, the butterfly Pokemon. Vibrantly patterned wings are its prominent feature. It sucks sweet flower nectar with its long mouth."

Ash looked up and gasped as the Beautifly landed on his head. "Niji...is that you?"

[Hi!] the Beautifly giggled. [It's nice to see you again!]

A boat whistle got his attention. "She's here!" he called, waving to a familiar brown haired girl on the approaching boat. "May! Welcome back!"

"I missed you too!" May called back as the boat pulled up to the pier.

---------

After disembarking from the boat, May and Ash first shared a long embrace. "I've been quite enjoying my Johto trip." May began. "Your travel guide's been very helpful."

She then unzipped her traveling bag. "I didn't forget to get you guys some souvenirs--these are from the Ecruteak Market."

Ash accepted a book from May. "'Folk and Fairy Tales from Johto'...sounds interesting."

"We may have to look at that together later." Brock smiled as Ash thumbed through the pages, intrigued by the scenes of heroes, monsters, and Pokemon on every page.

May gave Brock a raft shaped bundle with exquisite designs. "For you, Brock--a new instrument for the collection. These are handmade panpipes with Beast-inspired designs."

Brock admired the beautiful panpipes for a moment. "These must sound as good as they look..."

"Go on, play something!" May smiled. "I insist!"

Brock thought for a minute for a suitable song, then decided to play a soft, quiet melody that rang across the lake. "Wow! That was very nice!" Dawn raved as she led the applause.

"That was, appropriately enough, 'The Phoenix's Prayer', a song composed in memory of those that fell when the Tin Tower burned." Brock explained as he tapped out his new panpipes and put them away. "I'm still working on learning it, so I apologize for any mistakes."

"Keep practicing, and I'm sure it'll sound beautiful." May smiled before unearthing a necklace with a jewel studded Piplup. "And for you, Dawn--in honor of Kori."

[It's beautiful!] the real Kori raved as Dawn put the necklace on.

"Yeah--thanks for the gifts!" Ash smiled as he put his new lorebook in his bag.

"Consider this my song of thanks." Brock smiled as he unwrapped his new panpipes again, then started a joyful march-like melody that rang across the harbor.

"So, how's Max doing?" Ash asked May over the music.

"He is home at Petalburg Gym, taking care of Dad's Pokémon, just like Brock showed him." May replied, just as Brock finished his song, to applause from curious onlookers.

"How long have you been in Shinou?" Dawn asked.

"I arrived here three days ago--there was something I wanted to do in Snowpoint City first." May explained.

She heaved a Poke Ball skyward. "Neva, come on out!"

Ash smiled when he saw the familiar cyan and blue fox Pokemon May had summoned. "You decided to evolve Neva into Glaceon?" he asked.

"Glaceon, the fresh snow Pokemon. It can control its body temperature at will. This enables it to freeze the moisture in the atmosphere, creating flurries of diamond dust." Dawn's Pokedex explained.

"There is an ice cave near Snowpoint City, which houses a huge ice crystal that makes Eevee evolve into Glaceon." May explained. "I thought it would be fun to return to Johto with a newly evolved Pokémon."

"Here I was thinking Neva was a cute name at the time you got her." Ash admitted. "But now it makes sense."

"Ash told me about your struggles." May began as she showed Dawn her own ribbon collection. "But I'm in the same boat as you--Drew or Harley always manage to capitalize on a combo setup I make, and max out the excitement meter."

"Well, it makes me feel better knowing you're struggling too." Dawn smiled. "I very nearly wanted to give up after one choke too many, but Satomi, the boys, and everyone else urged me to keep trying."

"Maybe the Wallace Cup could be both of their comeback Contests." May smiled.

"Yeah...win or lose, we could inspire each other." Dawn agreed.

A stomach growl got the girls' attention. "I hate to interrupt the discussion, but is anyone else hungry for lunch?" Ash asked.

"You are in luck!" May smiled. "I managed to score reservations at the Grand Wok--the most popular restaurant at the Lakefront."

"Wow, really?" Dawn gasped.

"I've heard their stir fries are legendary." Brock smiled as May led the group towards a large pagoda-like building near the docks. "Any seafood comes directly from the lake."

---------

"Wow...lakeside table and everything." Ash smiled as he bit into an egg roll.

"I'm amazed that every guest gets complimentary appetizers." Brock agreed as he bit into a won ton.

"Have you decided on a Contest costume yet?" May asked.

"Oh, you like looking at costumes too?" Dawn smiled. "Which brand do you prefer?"

"I don't have a preferred brand per se, but I've been trying out different looks in hopes of finding a brand I prefer." May explained. "Before I left, I found a good deal on a nice Arabian getup from Sol Dorado, so I'll use that here."

"Well Mom's preferred brand is Notte Royal, and I like a lot of their stuff." Dawn replied. "But lately I've been gravitating towards Prism Stardust too."

"So a Beautiful and Passion coordinator..." May mused. "Drew told me that the lakefront has an outlet mall featuring shops for all twelve major coordinator brands."

"Wait, what's this about brands?" Ash asked.

"Like idol costumes, coordinators have twelve brands of their own to pick costumes from." May explained.

She made a grand gesture to a large building in the distance. "Luckily for us, an outlet mall featuring all twelve brands is nearby."

"If you're going to take part in the Wallace Cup, we need to get you a costume." Dawn reminded Ash as the stir fry the group had ordered arrived at the table. "We'll at least look at each brand before you make your decision."

"Works for me." Ash mused the group dug into their lunch...

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 04-13-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf @Soups

Episode 59b: Our Own Brand of Power! (part 2)

"All right--if you want to go inside any of the shops, let us know." Dawn explained as the group arrived at the outlet mall later that afternoon. "We're not going to drag you into every shop, but we will let you look in the windows."

"Once you've seen all twelve brands, if you saw any coord that you liked, we will go back and get it." May added. "But try to wait until we've seen every brand before you make your decision."

"Got it!" Ash smiled.

Dawn lead the way towards a shop's window. "First up is Rainbow Parade, a brand that focuses on a marching band and music motif." she explained, gesturing to what looked like a frilly pink marching band uniform in the window.

"I don't recall the marching band uniforms I ever wore being that frilly..." Brock smiled as he admired the costume.

"Well, it is a Cute and Dreamy brand." Dawn admitted. "Thankfully, there are boys' versions of every coord."

"Good--I wouldn't wear frills again if my life depended on it." Ash shuddered at the memory of being disguised as a girl to get inside Erika's Gym.

"Although if we have to disguise you as a girl again, I'll tell whoever's making the disguise to make it a bit more elegant." Brock grinned.

"Long story..." Ash told Dawn, who chuckled at the thought of Ash wearing one of the frilly costumes.

"I remember this story!" May smiled before telling Dawn "After seeing a boy kicked out of a Gym just for being a boy, one of Ash's Pokemon--an Abra, was it?--conjured some girl's clothes as a disguise, so Ash could get inside for a match."

"Yes--it was my then Abra Trista that conjured the disguise." Ash admitted as he admired a frilly electric blue dress that evoked a baton twirler's costume in the window. "I will admit I like this one."

Dawn smiled. "Don't worry--there are plenty of boy coordinators too, so you're not going to be thrown out of a Contest Hall just because you're male."

She motioned for the group to follow her. "Let's go on to the next shop."

---------

"Over here is Jeweled Story, which has a lot of jewels and fairy tale motifs." Dawn explained as the group arrived near another shop.

"This one's not so bad..." Ash admitted as he admired a cute red costume with a leaf-like skirt in the window.

"Agreed--this once's nice, as well." Brock agreed as he admired a soft multicolored costume that evoked a rainbow.

"As pretty as some of these costumes are, I'm not sure Dreamy is my style." Ash sighed as the group continued down the walkway.

"There's still ten more brands to see." Brock assured Ash. "Maybe your dream style is in one of the other shops."

"We'll go with that, then." Ash smiled, petting Tintri all the while.

---------

"Next up are the Cool and Hearthhrob brands." Dawn explained as the group approached a shop. "You might like Pixel Beat, which is inspired by classic video games."

"Can we go inside?" Ash asked. "I kinda want to take a look."

"Sure!" May led the way inside the somewhat dark shop.

Ash smiled as he admired the colorful glowing pixels embedded in the wall. "Love the decor in here..." he smiled as he admired a beautiful dull pink, red, and gold dancer's costume."

"That is Powerful Dancer, one of the coords in our Oracle Dreams collection." an employee explained. "It has two counterparts in the Wisdom Minstrel Coord and the Courageous Keeper Coord."

The lightbulb went off in Ash's head. "Oh yeah--'The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages' and 'Oracle of Seasons'!"

"Exactly." the employee smiled when she saw Ash had guessed the games the collection was inspired by. "Of course if you want to channel the Hero of Hyrule himself, we have Forest Hero '87 over here." She made a grand gesture to a costume that looked like an exact replica of Link's iconic costume from "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time."

Ash did a double take when he found a familiar looking leather outfit. "No way! A Nick Dragonswift costume!"

"Adventure's Heart--that one's very popular among male coordinators." the employee smiled.

"Can I buy this?" Ash asked. "If May's being Runim, I've gotta be her Nick!"

"Wait until we've seen all the brands, okay?" Dawn gently reminded him. "If you still want it then, we'll go back and get it."

"Dawn has a point." Brock agreed. "Besides, something better might be coming up."

"Okay..." Ash mused as he wrote a note on his PokeNav. "I'll make a note so I won't forget later."

---------

"Here is Cosmic Storm, which has a space motif." Dawn explained as the group arrived in another shop.

"One of my preferred brands." May added as she hurried over to look at a beautiful futuristic purple blue and silver outfit.

Ash noticed a striking silver and white costume on a display that appeared to evoke the moon. "I like this one..."

"White and silver have always looked good on you." Brock agreed.

"That coord is Lunar Future." an employee explained. "It's quite popular with male coordinators who want a mysterious look. It also has a feminine design, if you have a special lady coordinator in your life."

"Keep in mind the lights in the Contest Hall." Dawn whispered. "You don't want to blind people due to your costume."

Ash nodded. "I'll still keep it in mind."

After updating his 'Favorite Costumes' note, he noticed a sparkling blue and purple costume that evoked the northern lights. "Cool--Misty would likely love this, if she ever wanted to try a contest."

"If you ever want to see the other version of a costume, let us know." an employee told Ash as he updated his note with a picture of the costume and the brand.

"Can I see the male version of this costume?" Ash asked.

"The male version of Aurora Diva is named Aurora Hero." the employee replied as she brought over the male version of the costume for Ash to see.

After updating his note, Ash laid the costume over his normal clothes. "Hm...while I like the colors, it seems a little too showy for me."

"All right--there are some lower key designs over to the left." the employee informed Ash. "Take your time looking around."

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 59c: Our Own Brand of Power! (part 3)

"Here is Mom's preferred brand, and one of my favorites--Notte Royal." Dawn smiled as she made a grand gesture to a elegant shop overlooking the water. "It is a Beautiful and Charming brand that focuses on royalty and nobility inspired designs with lots of jewels."

"I can see why!" Ash grinned as he admired a beautiful white gown with rainbow trim in the window. "Can we go inside?"

"Sure!" Dawn replied as the group made their way inside the shop.

Tarina peeked from Brock's bag and gasped at the many beautiful outfits on the racks. [Wow! This place is amazing!]

"You know how idols have several different brands they promote?" May explained. "Coordinators are the same way--we have our own brands of costumes we can wear."

"We're here to help Ash pick a costume for the Contest." Brock explained. "So we are letting him see all the brands before he decides on a costume."

[I didn't know we had to dress up for a contest here...] Tarina mused as she admired a ruffly pale yellow outfit with gold trim on a display. [Remember that contest back home where May narrowly beat you? We wore our normal clothes for that.]

"Houen and Kanto rules are different from Shinou and Kalos rules, sweetie." Brock reminded Tarina. "They probably want everybody to dress up because of a Shinou Contest's grander scale. When Kalos did away with the Pokemon Showcase about a hundred years ago and started doing Contests, they adopted Shinou rules, which includes dressing up."

[That makes sense.] Tarina smiled before spotting a deep blue, cyan and silver costume with a white rose in the lapel. [This is pretty!]

"That is the male version of Midnight Rose." an employee explained. "Are you interested in buying?"

"Not today, thanks." Brock replied.

---------

"Next up is Angelic Crystal, which focuses on a lot of sky and snow motifs, with the odd other elemental motif." Dawn explained as the group approached another shop.

[This one looks like something Misty would wear!] Tarina commented as she admired a beautiful shimmering green and blue costume in the window that evoked a mermaid.

"It does, doesn't it?" Brock smiled. "But she doesn't seem to be the dancing princess type to me..."

"How bout it? Do you want to go inside or not?" Dawn asked.

"Why not? Tarina seems to be enjoying shopping too." Brock smiled as the group made their way inside.

Tarina gasped in awe at the many shimmering gowns and suits on the racks and displays. [Wow...did we just walk into heaven?]

"Not quite--but it is a Coordinator's paradise, at least." Brock smiled as he admired a silvery gown with crystal studs. "I wonder what the male version of this coord looks like..."

"Oh, you'd like to see the male version of Crystal Jubilee?" an employee smiled. "Just a moment..."

Ash gasped in awe as the employee brought out a glittering silver suit. "That is beautiful!"

"If you're looking to buy, this coord can be yours for 7500 credits." the employee grinned.

"We're just looking for now, thanks." Ash admitted before fumbling for his PokeNav. "I'll keep it in mind."

---------

"Moving on to the Exotic and Rugged brands..." Dawn smiled as the group approached another shop. "Spring Clover should be up your alley, Brock."

"I see--I've always loved the mystery and beauty of Celtic design." Brock mused as he admired a green and white outfit with silvery knotwork in the window. "Let's go inside."

After taking a moment to admire the knotwork designs on the walls, Ash noticed a blue plaid outfit on a display. "What's this coord?"

"That is Dancing Water--part of our Galarian Dancer collection." an employee replied. "Are you interested in seeing the other coords?"

"Not at the moment, thanks." Ash replied.

He noticed that Brock was at the counter, paying for a few coords. "Uh, Brock? I thought we were looking for a costume for me..."

"I know, but I found a few designs I liked that were on sale." Brock replied as he received the bag with his purchases inside. "Just in case I want to try my hand at a contest too."

---------

"So, which coords did you get?" Dawn asked as the group made their way towards another shop.

"I got Glas Harp..." Brock explained, showing off a green, white and gold costume with shiny knotwork. "and Winter Moor." He showed the group a green plaid costume with silver trim. "All told, they were 3000 credits--thank you, half-off sale!"

"That's a great deal!" May grinned before pointing out their destination in the distance. "This is where I got my costume, Sol Dorado. They focus on festive Latin American and Arabian designs."

"So I see..." Ash smiled as he admired the decor of the shop, which evoked an exotic marketplace. "Let's go inside."

Tintri gasped in awe at the shop's interior. [Did we just walk into Brock's copy of the Arabian Nights?]

"Nope, but if you want to get the look, this is the place to do it." Ash replied before noticing a collection of Arabian style outfits on a display. "Which one of these did you get, May?"

"I got this gold one over here--Arabian Sun." May explained showing off an ornate gold Arabian costume on the display.

"That looks like Runim, all right." Ash smiled before moving on to another display, where he spotted a sparkling red flamenco inspired outfit. "What's this one?"

"That is Estrella Roja." an employee replied as she arrived to stock a display. "This will help channel your inner dancer in the Contest Hall."

"I do like the red..." Ash mused as he updated his note. "I'll keep this one in mind."

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 04-17-2019 at 10:09 PM.

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 59d: Our Own Brand of Power! (part 4)

Ash gasped in amazement when he saw the window of the next shop. "Wow! Love the coords in here!"

"This is my other preferred brand, Prism Stardust." Dawn explained. "As I've told you before, they are famous for their sparkling 80's style."

"Oh yeah, that little outfit you made Lola before..." Ash remembered. "Let's go inside and take a look!"

Dawn led Ash inside the shop, and over to a display showcasing the outfit that inspired her. "This is Passionate Dawn--if I were to give the outfit I gave Lola a name, I would likely call it Passionate Sunset."

"That's a nice name for a design." Brock smiled as he admired a regal green costume with leaf trim on another rack.

Tarina gasped in awe at the various coords for sale. [Did we just walk in a time warp back to the 80's?]

Brock just smiled. "No--we didn't go back in time--it's supposed to look like this."

"The point of these coords is to give a coordinator a powerful, passionate look." May added.

She stifled a giggle at Ash racing around the shop. "Judging from how excited Ash is, he might pick a costume from here!"

---------

"Here is the other Passion and Power brand-- Glittering Magic." May explained as the group approached a shop near the mall's plaza. "They rely on metallic colors and "magical" motifs."

Ash peeked in the window at a striking red, gold, and white costume. "That's neat--the buttons look like the keys of an orchestral flute when it's all buttoned up."

"Considering how much you enjoy playing the flute and flute-like instruments, I wouldn't be surprised if you picked Stardust Flute." May smiled as she pointed out the coord's name.

"It even has a sister coord that evokes a fiddle--Shining Bow." Dawn pointed out a beautiful yellow outfit with a large brown patch that resembled a violin in the window.

Brock looked closer at Shining Bow, where he could see four lines of glitter snaking down the "fiddle". "That's nice--they even thought to put on the strings."

"Anyone want to go in here?" Dawn asked.

When no one said anything, she mused "All right...let's move on. We're almost done."

---------

"Finally, we have the two Angelic and Heroic brands." Dawn began as the group approached a shop near the plaza. "This one is Starlight Harmony."

Ash looked in the window at the many designs inspired by the three birds and Lugia. "These look familiar..."

"That's because this brand draws on the legend of the Chosen of Lugia for inspiration." Dawn explained.

"No wonder they look familiar..." Ash smiled as he admired a striking red and gold dress with a large feather at the shoulder in the window.

Then something occurred to him. "Have either May or Dawn heard your song cycle retelling the tale of the Chosen One?"

"May has heard it, but Dawn hasn't." Brock replied as he allowed Tarina to look at a blue and cyan gown with a matching star circlet and trim. "Guess that's another of my song cycles I'll need to perform this trip..."

"I'm still amazed you manage to come up with the music and the lyrics to that long of a story!" May smiled as she remembered Brock playing her the epic song.

"Maybe that just comes naturally to you when you have a musical gift like what Brock has." Ash mused as the group continued on their way.

---------

"And lastly, but by no means least, this is Blossom Beat, which features flower and Beautifly motifs." Dawn explained as the group reached a shop near another pier.

May smiled as she admired a beautiful sparkling magenta costume with rose trim in the window. "I will admit that I like all the costumes in here; but I already have a costume..."

"Pity you're not using Niji this time, either." Ash agreed. "A lot of these would fit well if you were using her.

"I know..." May replied as she admired a sparkling green costume that evoked an emerald swallowtail butterfly. "But I used Niji in my last Johto contest before coming here."

Tarina gawked at a beautiful green, blue, and purple costume in the window. [Wow! This one's pretty!]

Dawn recognized the costume. "That one's called Obi Emerald--so named because it evokes the obi island birdwing."

"Birdwings are said to have the largest wings in the world." Brock added, trying oh-so-hard not to laugh at the heart-eyed Pichu on his shoulder...

---------

"Okay...now that we have seen all the brands, do you still want the Nick Dragonswift outfit from earlier?" Dawn asked as the group returned to the plaza.

Ash looked over his note. "While I did like both Passion and Power brands, I'll stick with the Nick Dragonswift outfit after all."

"All right--back to Pixel Beat we go." With that, Dawn lead the way down the pathway and into the setting sun...

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 60: Staging a Hero's Welcome!

"The day has finally arrived!" Rhonda announced from her post outside the Valor Contest Hall. "We are only hours away from the Wallace Cup, where we will see the talents from coordinators from across the world..."

Inside the Contest Hall, the atmosphere was just as electric as the many coordinators made their entry confirmations and final preparations. But in one corner of the room, Ash emerged from a dressing room to find Brock singing in a language he recognized as Low Galarian to a brown haired girl wearing a green and white outfit with silvery knotwork. Brock...when will you ever learn? he sighed.

[English, please!] he heard Kage scold. The girl's Scorbunny giggled as Kage dragged Brock away, guitar and all.

May giggled as she watched Brock being dragged back to the hall foyer. "I guess Kage has taken over Max's job..."

"You could say that." Dawn replied as she emerged from a dressing room in a beautiful royal blue, white and silver costume. "But for the most part, he has behaved himself."

"How do I look?" Ash asked as he struck a heroic pose in his new coord.

"Like Nick Dragonswift, of course!" a voice replied.

"Zoey, hi!" Dawn smiled as Zoey arrived with Sylvie.

She made a grand gesture to May, who was now in her costume. "May, this is Zoey--one of my friends and friendly rivals on the Contest circuit."

"The famous May Alder has come to Shinou..." Zoey gasped. "They say you've made quite a name for yourself in Houen and Kanto."

May nodded. "I'm looking foward to making a good impression here, as well--I'm actually taking a break from Johto's circuit to come here, so it was good practice for this."

"Wait, Johto follows Shinou and Kalos rules too?" Ash asked, unaware of Mars making her final preparations nearby...

---------

In the Contest Hall, the crowd roared with applause as Wallace appeared with Celeste in a shimmering aurora. "Thank you all!" he smiled. "To those that are gathered here, and those that are watching on TV and online, I offer the most heartiest of welcomes!"

"As host of today's Contest, Wallace will serve as a guest judge alongside our three regulars..." Marian explained to the audience. "Please welcome Jordan..."

The crowd applauded as a woman with wavy blond hair made her way to the judge's table. "Dexter..." A bespectacled young man with dull brown hair arrived. "...and Keira."

More applause filled the air as Wallace respectfully led a red-brown haired woman to the table, before taking the guest judge's seat at the end. "The winning Coordinator will receive the Aqua Ribbon, a special ribbon that is valid to use in any region." Marion explained, showing the crowd an elegant electric blue ribbon.

She smiled. "On that note, let us begin the parade of coordinators!"

---------

A majestic melody filled the hall, signaling the parade of coordinators was underway. The brown haired girl from before had already been announced as Dawn approached the entry tunnel. The tam o'shanter's cute... she thought.

"Entrant W-42007--Dawn Solberg and Kori!" Marian announced as Dawn emerged from the tunnel. "Daughter of the legendary Divine Coordinator Joanna Solberg, Dawn is ready to make her mark as heir to the Solberg dynasty. She is wearing Sapphire Queen, by Notte Royal."

Way to put the pressure on even more... Dawn swallowed hard as the crowd cheered.

"Entrant W-31503--May Alder and Neva!" Marian announced as May emerged from the tunnel with her Glaceon. "All the way from Houen, May channels her inner Runim as she dazzles with an icy mirage! She is wearing Arabian Sun, by Sol Dorado."

One by one, Marian announced each coordinator, their Pokemon, where they were from; if applicable, a little about them, and what coord they wore:

"Entrant W-41815--Shauna Dumont and Reine! All the way from Kalos, Shauna has stormed onto Kalos' Contest scene, and is looking to try her luck in Shinou! She is wearing Blue Shower, by Angelic Crystal."

"Entrant W-98380--Twila Mendoza and Colores! Hailing from Houen, Twila is all ready to show off the power of the rainbow in Shinou! She is wearing Amarilla Sol, by Sol Dorado."

"Entrant W-16313--Bianca Rossi and Epona! Hailing from Kanto, Bianca is ready to unleash the power of the Legendary steed of heroes on Shinou after doing very well on the Kanto circuit! She is wearing Passionate Dawn, by Prism Stardust."

---------

"Ready?" Ash asked Tintri as he approached the entryway of the tunnel leading out into the massive contest hall.

[As I'll ever be...] Tintri replied as the girl in front of them made her way into the hall. [I just hope our appeals are good enough...]

"Me too, bud." Ash agreed as he adjusted the fedora he wore. "Let's do this."

"Entrant W-22796--Ash Ketchum and Tintri!" Marian announced, to cheers as Ash stepped out into the Contest Hall. "Mainly a trainer by day, Ash is all ready for a contest adventure, channeling both his inner Nick Dragonswift and his knowhow as a trainer to reach for the stars! He is wearing Adventure's Heart, by Pixel Beat."

A whistle snapped Ash to attention as he passed the stands. [Ash!] Tarina squeaked as she and Brock waved from the stands. [Good luck!]

Ash gave Tarina a nod as the next coordinator was announced. May had finished her lap around the hall with Neva, and Dawn was a few people ahead of him. I'm gonna do my best for you, Tarina--who knows, I may even get a Ribbon myself!

---------

"The rules of the Visual Competition are simple..." Marian explained to the crowd of coordinators. "In just a few moments, you'll go into the dressing rooms to dress up your Pokemon using a box of random accessories. You'll have sixty seconds to create your designs, and you can use up to five accessories. The order you finish will determine the order of performance in the Dance competition."

She glanced over at a card. "You are aiming for a bright look this time."

"A bright look, huh..." Ash mused as he found the dressing room with his ID number on it backstage. "I hope I've got something sparkly or neon in my box..."

Once all the coordinators were backstage, Wallace cued the clock. "Ready..." Marian called. "Set...GO!"

Ash threw open the shiny pink Fashion Case and rummaged through the hundred accessories inside as the 60 second clock ticked away. "These little spark things..." he mused as he rubbed some of the faux sparks in Tintri's fur. "Ooh, these faux embers look cool!"

[I like it too!] Tintri agreed as Ash attached some of the plastic shimmering flames. [Red thunder.]

"This cool aura for extra pizzazz..." Ash mused as he attached a glowing light that evoked an aura. "...and some Shiny Powder to finish."

After sprinkling a generous amount of the gold powder on Tintri, Ash hit the button to signal he was ready with 14 seconds to spare.

Once time expired, Marian called "Okay! Entrant W-22796, come on out!"

"Wow"s and cheers filled the Contest Hall as Ash and Tintri emerged on the stage. Not bad for an on the fly design... Ash smiled as Tintri struck one heroic pose after another for the crowd...

---------

"Up next is the Dance competition." Marian explained some time later. "Our competitors will come aboard the Bailatron to strut their stuff for the judges! But the Bailatron will remember every stumble, trip, and fall as well as every good step..."

In the backstage area, Ash watched the Bailatron emerge from the stage floor with a whir. "Let's see--we've got a few people ahead of all of us. Not even that shimmery icy look May made won the Visual."

[That's okay--what matters is we did our best.] Tintri smiled. [But you have to admit fourth place isn't too bad...]

"Especially in a field of hundreds, like this." Ash agreed.

He perused the song selector for a moment. "I know just the song for you--okay with putting your own spin on 'Bumble Bee'?"

[Sure!] Tintri smiled. [I still have vivid memories of that dance contest before...]

Up next to dance: Entrant W-22796. an announcer reported. "It's time...go get'em, Tintri." Ash hugged his faithful Pikachu, then watched as Tintri romped onto the huge machine...

---------

Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh... a young female voice sang as Tintri struck a heroic pose. Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh...

Tintri started twirling and spinning across the platform as the music picked up. Sweet little bumble bee, I know what you want from me,
    Dup-i-dup-i-do da da
    Dup-i-dup-i-do da da
    Sweet little bumble bee, more than just a fantasy
    Dup-i-dup-i-do da da
    Dup-i-dup-i-do da da...

After striking another pose, Tintri starting lightly skipping and jumping across the stage as the singer went on My heart skips a beat
    When you walk in the room
    I go boom boom boom...
    Tintri stomped three times in time to the singer's words, to some giggles.
    You go zoom zoom zoom... Tintri timed three steps in time to the singer's words for effect.

You're my playboy, playtoy
    Lover, my friend...
    the singer went on as Tintri spun across the stage.
    I wanna be with you until the end...

I give my heart and my soul to you,
    To make you see its true...
    I'm so confused, baby, cant you see?
    Please come rescue me!

The crowd roared as the machine triggered a disco ball to appear as Tintri continued his performance. Sweet little bumble bee, I know what you want from me,
    Dup-i-dup-i-do da da
    Dup-i-dup-i-do da da
    Sweet little bumble bee, more than just a fantasy,
    Dup-i-dup-i-do da da
    Dup-i-dup-i-do da da

Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh...

Dup-i-dup-i-do da da
    Dup-i-dup-i-do da da

Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh...

Dup-i-dup-i-do da da
    Dup-i-dup-i-do da da...

Tintri capped his performance by striking a triumphant pose, to cheers and applause. After taking a bow, he hurried off to reunite with Ash.

"Well done, bud." Ash smiled as he watched Tintri's stats and the updated leaderboard, which showed that Tintri had jumped into the top 3. "May's up next...wonder what song she picked?"

Tintri watched Neva strike a reverent pose before a familiar Oriental melody started playing over the speakers. [Did you even need to ask?] he smiled as the familiar pounding beat of "Beautifly" echoed through the hall, Neva weaving and twirling elegantly across the platform all the while:

I've been searching for a man,
    All across Japan,
    Just to find, to find my samurai...

Someone who is strong,
    But still a little shy,
    Yes I need, I need my samurai...

Ai-yai-yai, I'm your little Beautifly...
    Green, black and blue,
    Make the colors in the sky...

Ai-yai-yai, I'm your little Beautifly...
    Green, black and blue
    Make the colors in the sky...

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 04-22-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Interlude: A Song of Valor

"...Supposedly, they can tap into these amazing moves no one on the mainland has ever seen before." Zoey continued as May, Dawn, Kori and Lola listened.

The munching of Neva and Sylvie eating was the only sound in the room. "What were these powerful moves called?" May broke the awed silence some moments later.

"I think they were called Z-Moves?" Zoey remembered. "Either way, I can only imagine how appealing they would be on the Contest scene."

"Maybe it works the same way as Mega Evolution and Spectacular Talents..." May suggested. "A really powerful appeal most coordinators save for a big finish."

"Makes sense." Dawn agreed.

She noticed the Mega Ring on May's left hand. "What happens if you sing your Heart Song to a Pokemon that can't Mega Evolve in a Contest scenario? I know that in battle, it will power up one move the Pokemon knows..."

"They obviously won't Mega Evolve, but they can still use an appropriate Spectacular Talent." Zoey explained. "Not that I've awakened my Heart Song, but I've seen many Spectacular Talents."

"What is the Water Spectacular Talent?" Dawn asked.

"The base Spectacular Talent is named Blessed Rain." Zoey explained. "It will be slightly different depending on the type of move you used when you triggered it--if Kori used a Beautiful move as you sang, it would be called Serene Blessed Rain."

"I see..." Dawn smiled.

Ash peeked in the room a few moments later. "Everything okay in here?"

"Yeah!" the girls replied.

"Can I get you guys some food, or treats?" Ash asked.

"Sure..." The girls eagerly pooled their money together to find they had enough for a fairly lavish meal. "Let's get something besides pizza..." May suggested.

"Well, I have a guide to all the restaurants that deliver out here..." Zoey mused as she found the restaurant delivery guide on a bedside table. "I'll buy dinner."

"Since you kindly offered so bring us treats, can you bring us some ice cream from the Aurora Creamery?" Dawn pointed out an ice cream shop nearby the hotel. "The way there goes right by the lake."

"Okay--what flavors does everyone want?" Ash asked as he brought of the notepad app on his PokeNav.

The girls looked over the flavor list in the restaurant guide. "Buneary Tracks." Dawn requested.

"Mint Reverie for me." May requested.

"Grandma's Oatmeal Lace sounds good..." Zoey smiled.

Brock peeked in the room. "Discussing dinner options?"

"Zoey's buying dinner, but Ash offered to bring dessert." Dawn explained.

"You won't object to getting a mini cone for Tarina too?" Brock asked. "Cookie dough's one of her favorites."

"Ooh, Tarina should love Cookie Dough Bliss." Dawn smiled when she saw the flavor name on the list.

"Okay, so May wants Mint Reverie, Dawn wants Buneary Tracks, Zoey wants Grandma's Oatmeal Lace, a mini Cookie Dough Bliss cone for Tarina , and maybe a little something for Tintri and me." Ash read back the order he had written on his PokeNav. "Did I get everyone?"

"That's everything." May smiled.

"All right, I'll be back momentarily." With that, Ash and Tintri departed.

---------

Ash smiled as he admired the neon lights of the city glittering with the starlight on the lake. "This place is so beautiful...I almost never want the Wallace Cup to end."

[Yeah, then we could really explore this place and all it has to offer.] Tintri agreed.

Ash was about to answer his companion when he spotted a small whirlpool-like movement in the water. Huh?

He watched as a small misty blue light appeared in the center of the small whirlpool. Gatrandis favel, secret, edena... came an ethereal male voice that almost sounded female.

Emusto rozen fine el balaziis...
    Katoradis favel siicletu edena...
    At this line, Ash noticed a sparkling blue aura around him and Tintri.
    Emusto koron zen fine, si...

[What was that?] Tintri asked as the song and the aura faded away.

"Maybe it was another one of the lake guardians--or something divine in nature--blessing me for the Appeal competition tomorrow." Ash mused. "We still have to tell the girls and Brock about it when we get back."

[Yes--the girls and Tarina would not be happy if we came back empty handed.] Tintri agreed. [Let's go.]

---------

"...it sang the Swanna Song to me, and I felt this holy aura around me and Tintri." Ash finished telling the others about his encounter some time later. "I wanted to get a look at it, but when it finished the song, it was gone."

"It's almost like when I encountered a pink light at Lake Verity, and it sang the Swanna Song to heal Kori." Dawn remembered in between bites of her ice cream. "Do you remember what the voice that sang to you sounded like? The voice I heard was a strong and powerful female voice."

"The voice I heard was a young male voice...that sounded almost like a girl." Ash replied. "Very heroic and powerful."

May thought for a moment as she savored another bite of her ice cream. "While I was in Snowpoint City, I heard many a tale about the Legendary Pokémon that lives in Lake Acuity, which is near Snowpoint City--I think its name was Uxie."

"You'd be correct--Uxie is the Guardian of Wisdom." Zoey smiled. "I can't even begin to count how many stories of his adventures alongside Mesprit and Azelf I heard growing up. Mesprit is the Guardian of Emotion, that lives in Lake Verity, and Azelf is the Guardian of Valor, who lives here in Lake Valor." She let that hang as she took another bite of her ice cream.

"Does that mean Mesprit healed Kori that fateful day?" Dawn asked.

"And Azelf blessed me and Tintri for tomorrow? Ash agreed.

"It's possible--the lake guardians have been known to bless those they favor." Zoey smiled.

Ash looked at the clock on the wall in the room. "it's not too late for you to get the guitar out, is it?"

"Nope--it's only 7 PM." Brock replied as he started towards the boys' room. "Quiet hours don't start until 10 PM."

"I've heard your music and tales are legendary!" Zoey smiled as Brock returned a few moments later, tuning a familiar yellow-brown acoustic guitar.

"I take requests as well, so if there's a special song or tale you want to hear; let me know." Brock replied as he fine tuned his instrument.

Dawn smiled at Zoey. "You're in for a treat!"

Once in tune, Brock started the first tale to come to mind. "The king of a certain land had a beautiful garden which contained a number of very rare trees, but the rarest one of all was a Leppa tree. It stood in the middle of the garden, and produced shining crystal Leppa Berries every day. In the morning the flowers bloomed, during the day the fruit grew and ripened, and before nightfall, the berries were fully ripe. The next day the same thing happened, and this cycle would occur like clockwork every day..."

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 61: Strategy with a Smile!

The mood in the Contest Hall was electric as a huge crowd gathered to watch the Appeal competition the next day. "Good morning, all!" Wallace smiled to the crowd of coordinators and the audience. "The rules of the Appeal Competition are simple..." he began as Celeste brought him an elegant envelope. "Each of you will each receive five turns to show off your Pokemon's moves for Keira, Dexter, Jordan, and me. The coordinator that scores the highest and excites the audience the best, wins the Aqua Ribbon."

He looked out at the excited coordinators and their Pokemon. "Are there any questions before we begin?"

Cheers came back in reply as Walace opened the envelope. "Very well...Miss Dawn Solberg will lead off the competition with our first appeal of the day!"

More cheers filled the air as Dawn and Kori made their way onto the stage. "Okay, Kori, start with Bubblebeam!" Dawn commanded.

Oohs and ahs filled the air as Kori rained sparkling rainbow bubbles on the crowd, making two hearts appear under Dawn's picture on the leaderboard. "All right, Omura, use Brine!" a boy called.

Dawn watched as the boy's Wailmer fired a stream of water into the air, to the awe of the crowd. It's only the first turn--I'm not worried yet. she told herself as three hearts appeared under the boy's picture.

"Pelly, use Water Pulse!" a girl called to her Pellipper. As the watery shockwave shimmered in the room, the lineup of coordinators were replaced by question marks as the girl received three hearts...

---------

Ash glanced at the leaderboard as he led Tintri to the stage. Okay...the boy before me had his Lanturn use Charge... he thought as he saw a single heart under the boy's picture. And Charge paired with any Electric move is a nice combo...

He smiled as he saw his picture in the NEXT corner of the screen, and the excitement meter about to max out. Uh huh...

Once he stepped on the stage, he called "Tintri, use Thunderbolt!"

The crowd exploded in cheers as Tintri unleashed a wave of sparkling Thunderbolts, maxing out the excitement meter and showering Ash in hearts. Wow--I may have more talent for this than I thought! he smiled as he saw the two rows of rainbow shining hearts under his picture.

May was next to come onto the stage. "Neva, use Icy Wind!"

More cheers rang through the hall as Neva heaved a blast of cold air and diamond sparkles into the air, making them applaud through their shivers as four hearts appeared under May's picture.

In the stands, Brock and Tarina watched as Zoey commanded Sylvie to use Shadow Claw a few competitors later. [Wow! I didn't know Ash was a coordinator too!] she raved as the crowd roared in excitement for the shining dark claws Sylvie fired in the air.

"Well, it's true Ash may have some talent for this, but this is just the first turn." Brock reminded Tarina as he watched ten rainbow hearts appear under Zoey's picture. "A lot can happen in four more turns."

---------

Some time later, Ash returned to the stage to lead off the fourth round of appeals. Let's surprise everyone with a move not everyone expects a Pikachu to have...

He called to Tintri "Use Disarming Voice!"

Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... Tintri's tiny voice rang through the Contest Hall, to cheers from the crowd as the red Thunderbolts and soundwaves arced through the room.

May was next. "Neva, use Ice Shard!"

The crowd applauded as Neva fired a single ice ball skyward, causing hundreds of sparkling shards to rain into the room. A 1 appeared under May's picture as Dawn made her way to the stage, followed by three hearts.

Say... Dawn thought as she stepped onstage with Kori.

She called "Kori, use Ice Beam!"

Cheers filled the air as Kori fired the familiar blue white beam. The stage lights transformed it into an aurora, giving Dawn four hearts and a narrow lead going into the final round of appeals.

---------

Karuto, iichiida shou... May sang, making the sapphire in her Mega Ring give the Contest Hall a blue sheen as Neva fired an ice blast into the light, creating millions of sparkling diamonds of light. "What a Spectacular Talent!" Marian commented. "That display of Twinkling Diamonds vaults May into the lead!"

After a few more coordinators took their final turns, Ash made his way to the stage. The excitement meter's still at stage 3... he mused to himself. It's my turn to show off a Spectacular Talent for my final appeal!

With that, he held his own Mega Ring skyward. Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

Tintri's Thunderbolts melded with the red light and his master's voice, wowing the crowd as he surfed to the ground on a wave of lightning piano keys, creating a glissando of notes down the C major scale on the way down.

Even Dawn couldn't help but smile at the favorable setup Ash had left her. The excitement meter is at stage 4! Maybe I could unleash a Spectacular Talent to put myself over the top!

She held her own Mega Ring skyward. Leishu shun ji, lei si...

The crowd roared as a gentle stream of rainbow raindrops came down into the hall, maxing out the excitement meter and creating three rows of shining rainbow hearts under Dawn's picture. "Okay!" Wallace announced. "And with that beautiful display, it is time to declare the winner!"

Ash, May and Dawn watched as hundreds of score bars started inching across the screen. While many of the bars dropped off the screen after a few moments, their bars kept going!

After a few tense seconds, the three bars came to a stop... with Dawn's bar barely edging May's!

"By a mere two points, the winner of this year's Wallace Cup is Entrant W-42007--Dawn Solberg and Kori!" Wallace announced.

"I won?" Dawn gasped as the crowd roared. "Someone pinch me..."

Tarina happily obliged, making Dawn rear back from the pain. "I WON!!!" Dawn cried once it registered what she had just done.

Neva sighed as Ash hurried to hug Dawn. "You did it, Dawn! I always knew you could win another Contest."

He looked up at the final leaderboard, where Dawn's picture frame shone with a rainbow sheen and fireworks burst around it. "Even if you and May both did edge me by a combined 10 points. I have no qualms taking third."

May noticed Neva's glum look. "It's okay, Neva--we did our best, and that's the best we can do. Still, second place is very good!"

[Thanks.] Neva smiled, now in a better mood.

May next addressed Dawn. "Congratulations, my fellow coordinator--I believe you have a bright future ahead."

"Thanks." Dawn replied as she wiped away tears of joy. "I couldn't have done it without Kori."

"Dawn Solberg....daughter of the legendary Joanna Solberg." Wallace began as he arrived with the ribbon for Dawn and two medallions for May and Ash. "You've proven yourself as a worthy heir to your mother's legacy, and so much more. No matter how many struggles it took to get this far, you persevered, and it paid off here, on this stage. I extend my heartiest congratulations to you, and bestow you the Aqua Ribbon. You have truly earned it."

"Thank you." Dawn whispered as she accepted the Ribbon to thunderous cheers.

After May had received a silver medallion and Ash a bronze medallion, Dawn couldn't help but unleash her joy. "I did it! After so much pain..." she began, high fiving Lola. "Struggle..." Satomi hovered by her. "...and determination..."

Stormy leaped by Dawn as she held the Aqua Ribbon high. "I FINALLY GOT A RIBBON!"

Wallace smiled at Dawn's triumphant pose with her team. "And on that celebratory note, this concludes this year's Wallace Cup! Thank you all for coming, and we'll see you again next year!" The crowd roared as Celeste created a glittering misty geyser, bringing the Wallace Cup to a close.

---------

"Bye, May..." Ash smiled as the group arrived at the dock. "Good luck on the rest of your Johto adventure."

"Tell Starshine, Zelda, and Mizu we all said hello." Brock added as he hugged May.

"Has it hit you that you just won on one of coordinating's biggest stages yet?" May asked Dawn.

"Well, it's still sinking in..." Dawn explained. "With all the struggles I've had, I'd forgotten what it felt like to do well in the Appeal round; and what it felt like to feel at one with my Pokémon. Now I understand what Mom meant when she said that when you are one with your team, amazing things can happen."

May smiled. "If we ever compete again, I'm gonna win next time!"

"Bring it!" Dawn replied before embracing May one last time. "I feel like I can take on the world now!"

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 05-02-2019 at 02:49 AM.