Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 51b: Cross the Battle Line! (part 2)

Kiiroha noticed a smile forming on her master's face as Dawn summoned Satomi. [Do my eyes deceive me? Is that a smile I see on my master's face?]

"That is a smile, Kiiroha." Maylene replied. "For a coordinator, Dawn is giving quite the heroic effort."

On the Pearl side of the arena, Dawn called "Satomi, use Confusion!"

[Oh my!] Kiiroha gasped as Satomi circled around Kuto and started firing blasts of blue light in a circle. [That could very well have been a Contest appeal!]

Maylene seemed unfazed as the blue lights battered Kuto. "You know as well as I do that Kuto can take more than that." She let that hang as Kuto attempted Drain Punch again.

Satomi blocked the glowing red fist with a green psychic aura, then sang Leishu shun ji, lei si...

"Disarming Voice!" Ash gasped as a burst of pinkish sound waves overwhelmed Kuto.

Maylene applauded Dawn's victory. "Well! That was quite a show! I believe you could make it to the Grand Festival one day."

"Thanks." Dawn replied as she hugged Satomi.

"Let's see how you do against my superstar!" Maylene turned business-like again. "Kiiroha, your turn!"

"Kiiroha seems to mirror Maylene's state of mind." Brock noticed as the Lucario confidently ran into the Diamond side of the arena. "The more confident she gets, the braver the Pokemon get."

"Isn't that how it should be?" Ash asked as he watched Satomi analyze the Lucario before her. "Human and Pokemon so in tune with each other, they work as one?"

In the arena, Kiiroha made a T with her paws. "Time out--Diamond." the referee called as Kiiroha strolled back to Maylene's side for a moment.

[What tactics do you suggest?] Kiiroha asked.

"Don't let Dawn's unusual tactics confuse you." Maylene cautioned. "Stay focused, and remember what you learned as a Riolu."

[Right!] Kiiroha replied as her time out expired.

Leishu shun ji, lei si... Satomi sang again.

She gasped as Kiiroha found a bone and whacked away the blasts of sound. [Oh no...]

Dawn braced herself as Kiiroha heaved Satomi against the Pearl safety barrier. I'm sorry, Dawn...I did not see that attack coming.

"You did your best, and that's all that matters." Dawn replied as she recalled her fainted Ralts.

Brock watched as Kiiroha braced herself in response to Dawn summoning Kori. "I will admit, Kiiroha knows how to put on a show herself!"

"She may do well in one of those martial arts stage shows, or a TV drama." Ash agreed as he watched Kiiroha roll away from Kori's Bubblebeam and counter with an Aura Sphere.

"That had to hurt..." Reggie noted as the glowing blue sphere sent Kori flying.

"Don't count Dawn out yet." Brock smiled as Kori braced herself, then fired a whirling tornado of water in an attempt to trap Kiiroha.

"I see what Dawn is doing, here." Ash mused as he watched Kiiroha use Metal Claw to break the Whirlpool. "She's using her Contest skills to make up for a poor type matchup."

"You may be right..." Reggie agreed. "Whatever she's doing, it's awakening Maylene's battle spirit. He let that hand as Kori fired another Bubblebeam, only for Kiiroha to shove her backwards with a hard push.

"Come on, Kori!" Dawn called to her helpless Piplup. "You can do it!"

Ash smiled as Kori broke free from the paralysis. "Wow! Maylene and Kiiroha are both energized."

"I'll say..." Brock agreed as he watched Kiiroha fire another Aura Sphere. Kori countered with Peck, sending Kiiroha flying towards the Diamond safety barrier. Kiiroha growled as she tried Aura Sphere again, only for Kori to block it with a Bubblebeam, creating a smoke screen.

"Did she do it?" Ash asked as he waited for the smoke to clear.

"If Dawn did beat Kiiroha with a Piplup, I would be impressed." Reggie replied. "Not too many people can say they've beaten a fully evolved Pokemon with a starter Pokemon."

"Also remember that Dawn would still have Maylene's Machoke Tana to face." Brock reminded the group. "Kori may not be able to hold up against another beatdown."

When the smoke lifted some moments later, Ash's heart sank as he saw Kori swirly eyed on the field. "Game Set! This match goes to Diamond." the referee announced.

---------

"How'd I do, everyone?" Dawn asked later that day. She seemed in unusually good spirits despite losing some hours before.

"I'd say that while you didn't win in the arena, you did complete your goal of inspiring Maylene." Ash replied.

"Yeah...she's been talking non-stop about how your tactics inspired her." Reggie agreed.

"Two out of three is still nothing to sneeze at for your first battle." Brock added. "So you're a winner in our hearts for inspiring Maylene again."

"Thanks, guys..." Dawn smiled. "But I'm still gonna stick to contests." she added as Maylene arrived.

"Dawn...let me say thank you for reminding me why I battle." Maylene smiled. "In the end, winning or losing doesn't matter. What counts is the bond you share with your team. I was so hung up on wins and losses, I forgot about the bonding and support part of battling."

"So you'll battle me now?" Ash asked.

Maylene nodded. "We meet in the Gym bright and early tomorrow morning!"

"Although...what were some of those moves Maylene's team used?" Dawn asked. "How appealing are they?"

Ash found his Pokedex, and used the move search to bring up a list of the moves Dawn had seen. "First was Drain Punch...it is a Beautiful move. While not appealing on its own, if the person before you uses something appealing, it will also be that appealing."

"That's neat!" Dawn smiled.

"You know Aura Sphere already...it too is a Beautiful move." Ash went on. "Use it if you go first in a round for best results."

"Point noted if I get a Riolu or Lucario." Dawn smiled.

"Metal Claw is a very appealing Cool move." Ash went on. "Bone Rush is a very appealing Tough move...Force Palm is also a very appealing Cool move..."

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 02-13-2019 at 04:21 PM.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 52: A Triple Fighting Chance!

"Representing the Diamond side, Ash Ketchum of Pallet Town!" a referee announced as Ash stepped into the Diamond side of the dojo-like arena. "And representing the Pearl side, the barefoot fighting genius, Maylene!"

"Bring it!" Ash challenged as Maylene faced him from the Pearl side.

Maylene was unusually unfazed. "I don't really know what it means to be strong, or how I got to be the Gym Leader. But I will do the best I can as the Gym Leader. I take battling very seriously."

In the stands, Brock smiled as Maylene talked to Ash. "She looks very different from the blithering mess she was yesterday..."

"I think our battle yesterday did the job well." Dawn agreed.

In the arena, Maylene braced herself for Ash's first move. "Whenever you're ready!"

The referee's whistle echoed through the dojo. "Estrella, here we go!" Ash called as a familiar song blared over the speakers as motivational music.

"Tana, let's go!" Maylene summoned a large gray humanoid Pokemon.

We all have a dream inside our hearts that we will follow to the end... Dawn sang as she watched Estrella fly in for a Quick Attack.
    When you make a wish upon a star, the power flows, inside of you!
    Everybody listen to this song and sadness will just disappear!
    My wishes, dreams and hopes go forth into the world...

---------

Ash winced as Maylene's Machoke countered Estrella's attack with a flash of light that shattered. That was Brick Break....

"Try to break the Machoke's counter!" he called as Estrella flapped up a huge tornado. "If Whirlwind doesn't work, try Aerial Ace!"

[No go, Ash.] Estrella reported as she looped back in from her Aerial Ace. [Tana dodged both attacks!]

"Tana, use Cross Chop!" Maylene called before Ash could react.

Brock winced as Tana appeared to crush Estrella in an X pattern. "Ash! Try using Aerial Ace to get closer!" he called as Estrella wriggled out of the Machoke's large hands.

"Tana, keep using Brick Break!" Maylene called.

Even Dawn couldn't help wincing at each barrier Estrella hit. "Estrella can't afford to take many more hits...." Brock warned as he watched Estrella heave with exhaustion.

"Tana, use Seismic Toss to finish this!" Maylene called.

"Estrella, use Quick Attack as fast as you can!" Ash counted.

[Catch me if you can!] Estrella taunted. She whirled over the large rock the Machoke heaved and slammed it in the stomach.

"Great work!" Ash smiled. "Now we can finish this--with Aerial Ace!"

[HAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!] Estrella cried as she became a white glow, creating a bright explosion in the dojo.

---------

...Come with me and we will see the wonders of the world!
    All of the glory, is in our story!
    Dawn sang as Maylene summoned Kuto into the arena.

As we make our way to heaven, take it step by step
    And get the glory, upon the great stage!

We can go anywhere, so long as we're together
    I truly believe it with all of my heart...
    The cards here in my hand,
    Show you the way...

"Estrella, use Quick Attack!" Ash called.

He winced as Estrella landed on the Detect shield. Blocked...

His heart pounded as the Meditite gained a red aura as it appeared to mediate. Now it's raising its attack...

"Kuto, use Detect, and then Meditate again so you can finish this in one hit!" Maylene called.

Ash grinned. "Estrella, let's ruin their concentration."

[Yeah!] Estrella chirped before taking off.

"Kuto, bounce off the wall and use Drain Punch!" Maylene called.

Ash gasped as Kuto's fist drained some of Estrella's life. "Come on! Try Aerial Ace again!"

He growled as Kuto created the familiar blue flash of Confusion. That's okay, I can swap Estrella out and she'll be fine. he assured himself as he called back Estrella.

He heaved another Poke Ball skyward. "Diddy, I choose you!"

[HI-YAH!!!] Diddy screeched as he scratched Kuto.

"Kuto, keep using Drain Punch to heal yourself!" Maylene called.

"Dodge it and keep using Scratch!" Ash called.

"Keep using Detect!" Maylene urged as Diddy's attacks hit the green shield once, twice, three times.

Eventually the shield shattered! "Oh no..." Maylene gasped as Diddy unleashed a series of scratches on her vulnerable Meditite.

She smiled. "I have to admit, your Chimchar is quite skilled!"

"That's not all he can do!" Ash shot back.

He looked over at Diddy. "Use Flamethrower, then follow up with Flame Wheel!"

Maylene braced as the wave of fire scorched Kuto. "Kuto, if you can, try Confusion!"

A flash of blue lit up the arena, dispelling the fiery wheel forming on the Diamond side of the arena. Ash located Diddy trying to attack the nearest wall with Scratch." Back you go." he smiled as he recalled the dazed Chimchar.

He heaved a Poke Ball skyward as he returned to the arena. "Welcome back, Estrella!"

He smiled as Kuto attempted Drain Punch again. "It's time, Estrella! Use Brave Bird!"

Brock watched as Estrella flew skyward, then came streaking down in a wave of blue fire. "That was a cool way of knocking out Kuto. But, Ash needs to keep in mind that Brave Bird can be dangerous, and there is a risk of recoil." He let that hang as Maylene summoned Kiiroha.

"Estrella, use Brave Bird!" Ash called again.

He gasped as a KA-WHANG! echoed through the arena. Estrella landed at his feet seconds later. [Ash, I'm sorry...]

---------

We all have a dream inside our hearts that we will follow to the end... Dawn sang as she watched Ash summon Diddy in the arena.
    When you make a wish upon a star, the power flows, inside of you!
    Everybody listen to this song and sadness will just disappear!
    My wishes, dreams and hopes go forth into the world...

In the arena, Kiiroha twirled over the wave of flames. "Keep dodging, Kiiroha!" Maylene smiled. She watched her Lucario almost appear to dance as it dodged fire blast after fire blast.

She then called "Okay, now use Force Palm!"

Ash winced as Diddy went flying back from the Force Palm."Diddy, counter with Flame Wheel!"

He smiled as the burning wheel sent Kiiroha flying. "Do that again!"

[I can't...] Diddy wheezed. [Paralyzed....]

Ash watched in horror as Kirroha whacked Diddy around the arena with a bone. "Try Digging to get away!"

"Kiiroha, find the Chimchar and attack the ground with Aura Sphere!" Maylene commanded.

Ash winced as Diddy went flying from the earthen floor and landed at his feet. [I tried...] Diddy wheezed before fainting.

"Both sides now have one Pokemon remaining!" the referee announced.

Ash took his third Poke Ball. "Tails, let's finish this!"

---------

...Come with me and we will see the wonders of the world!
    All of the glory, is in our story!
    Dawn sang as Tails and Kiiroha clashed in the arena, creating a huge explosion.

As we make our way to heaven, take it step by step
    And get the glory, upon the great stage!

Show you the way...

"Kiiroha, use Bone Rush!" Maylene called.

"Tails, start spinning and use Aqua Jet!" Ash countered.

He smiled as the drill shaped wave of water broke a Metal Claw attack and hit Kiiroha. Undetered, Kiiroha next tried firing several Aura Spheres at Tails. Tails countered by unleashing a huge Sonic Boom.

Maylene watched Kiiroha smack Tails with a Force Palm. "Okay! Finish this with Aura Sphere, full power!

Brock watched in awe as Tails created a blue ball, then slammed it on the ground to create a shining wave of water. "Wow! That was Water Pulse!"

"SAY..." Ash smiled. "Tails, try Water Pulse!"

"Kiiroha, use Aura Sphere again!" Maylene called.

Dawn sang as the ball of aura energy and the ball of water combined into a huge explosion.
    Show you the way...

When the dust settled and the music ended, she saw that both Kiiroha and Tails were down. "Um, what happens now?" she asked.

"Game set! This match is a tie!" the referee announced.

"Maybe it's up to the referee..." Brock suggested as he motioned for Dawn to follow him.

---------

"Awarding a Gym Badge for a tie depends on the judgment of the Gym Leader." the referee explained as the group and Maylene arrived in a pavilion that evening.

"So, do I get a Badge for earlier?" Ash asked.

Maylene giggled. "Are you kidding? You gave me the greatest Gym battle of my life!"

She offered Ash a badge that resembled one of the tiles on the path. "Here...you've more than earned the Cobble Badge, tie or no tie."

She noticed one of her attendants arriving with a Riolu in his hands. "I also want you to look after this Riolu. Consider her a token of my thanks for all you've done."

Ash looked at the tiny wolf-like Pokemon, than gasped as it leaped into its hands. "Whoa...energetic one." he laughed as the Riolu nuzzled his cheek. "Is it a boy or girl?"

[It is a girl.] Kiiroha replied. [We hope you will train her well, and form a bond as close as ours.]

Ash smiled. "Okay...her name is Erin!"

"That's a nice name!" Dawn smiled. "Congrats on completing your team, too."

"I have to ask--where did you get the name Erin from?" Maylene wondered.

"It is a female form of the name Aaron." Ash explained. "Back home, Brock and I sometimes do storytelling with puppetry for the local library. One of my characters is a Riolu named Erin."

"Typically, Erin appears if we need a magical guide in a serious story." Brock added. "If we need her for a comical story, she plays an energetic young mage whose spells don't always work."

"If you've played 'Radiant Divinity 3', you may recognize the voice." Ash went on.

After thinking for a suitable joke, he slipped into character as Erin. "What d'ye get when ye have a Meowth that eats Nomel Berries?"

"What?" Dawn asked.

"Ye get a sour puss!" Ash replied in character, making the pavilion resound with laughter...

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 02-17-2019 at 12:21 AM.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 53: Enter Galactic

"My third badge, a new companion--can this adventure get any better?" Ash smiled as he snuggled his new Riolu.

"Well, if you really want to end your visit to Veilstone with a bang, I can take you to see the Three Heavenly Jewels." Reggie offered. "They are three meteors with large jeweled chunks inside that supposedly hit the earth millions of years ago."

"It's possible for jewels to be made in space?" Dawn gasped.

Reggie nodded. "Diamonds, peridots, and all kinds of other jewels have been documented in space. The Three Heavenly Jewels are three of the largest cosmic jewels that have been found on earth. The Flame Jewel has a chunk of ruby inside, the Earth Jewel a chunk of emerald, and the Sea Jewel a chunk of sapphire."

"Where are they?" Ash asked.

"On a mountain overlooking town." Reggie replied. "Many say the Three Heavenly Jewels guard the city, and they've inspired Arceus knows how many comic books, movies, TV shows, and games."

"I remember my science teacher talking about them as a kid." Dawn remembered. "She told us that they supposedly came from a 'super-Earth' made of gems. This made it all the more amazing when the news announced some weeks ago that scientists had found that same planet."

She grinned. "I never dreamed I'd see a scientific marvel up close on this trip!"

---------

Meanwhile, Saturn emerged from a helicopter at an undisclosed location in Veilstone. After taking the heliport's elevator down inside the building, he followed a hallway towards a briefing room.

Cheers met him from the hundreds of grunts in the room. "Okay, everyone--today is a vital first step in bringing about our new world." he began.

More cheers went up at this. "The mission so far is to energize the Spear Key with the cosmic energy from the Three Heavenly Jewels. You guys have received your instructions, so Team Flame, go with Mars, Team Earth, go with Jupiter, and Team Droplet, come with me. If you were not assigned to a team, your job is to maintain upkeep on the mission from the base."

"Yes, Sir Saturn!" the grunts chorused before dispersing.

---------

"So, where do I go from here in getting a badge?" Ash asked as he waited for his team to return from the exam room.

"You could try Pastoria City." Nurse Joy suggested. "It's also home to the Great Marsh..."

In the tech lounge, Reggie carried on a conversation with Paul. "Bring all you've got, bro--Ash is a formidable opponent."

"Formidable my foot!" Paul shot back. "I've beaten him so many times, and the few times he did win, it was by the skin of his teeth!"

"That may be true, but Ash is not the type to give up." Reggie calmly replied. "He will do everything in his power to win, even if it is by the skin of his teeth."

Paul sighed. "Let's just talk about something else, okay?"

---------

Back at the meteor field, Saturn stepped out of the helicopter from before with his team of grunts. "Inside this box, is the Spear Key." he explained as he opened the box.

The grunts oohed and ahhed as the cube-like key reformed into a spear-like shape. Saturn then held the key skyward, sending red, blue, and green light into the sky.

"Grunt Vega to Admin Saturn, are we go to run the scrambler?" came a female voice on Saturn's communicator.

Saturn smiled. "Scrambler is go."

In the Pokemon Center, Reggie balked as the videophone crashed. "What the--the videophone went down!"

"Internet is down too!" Ash reported as he fruitlessly tried every computer in the tech lounge, only to get a "This page cannot be displayed" error in every browser.

"Wi-Fi is down, save for private hotspots, gaming services are down..." Brock reported. "Good thing I have a private hotspot. Every public hotspot, gaming, communication, and media service is down, save for medically necessary communications, vehicles...

"...and Galactic equipment." Officer Jenny added as she arrived to calm the Pokemon Center's patrons. "Everyone, I've already dispatched teams across the city. The ISPs in the area have been notified about this massive crash, and they are working to get your service up and running as soon as possible. Social media is still up, so watch those pages for updates."

"I have a bad feeling that the Three Jewels are in danger." Dawn worried as the patrons started nervously speculating why nearly the entire infrastructure of the city had crashed.

"Let's head back to the Jeweled Hill!" Ash suggested. "Maybe the mastermind behind this is there!"

---------

Ash growled as he spotted Saturn on the hill. "You again...is this what you were doing in the ruins?" he demanded.

Saturn smirked. "So you remember me, hat-boy...you're just in time to watch the birth of a new world."

Then, an idea occurred to him. "In fact, let's have Mantella see if you're worthy for this golden opportunity!"

"What IS that?" Dawn asked as Saturn summoned a large purple frog-like Pokemon with a red sac and a point on its head.

"Toxicroak, the toxic mouth Pokemon. It has a poison sac at its throat. When it croaks, the stored poison is churned for greater potency." Ash's Pokedex explained.

Brock gasped as he watched the Toxicroak charge a pulsating black orb. "Hit the dirt!"

[AURA SPHERE!!!!] a familiar voice called as the group dove to the ground.

"Kiiroha!" Dawn smiled when she saw Maylene and Kiiroha staring down Saturn and his Toxicroak Mantella.

"My attendants told me everything." Maylene explained. "But it seems Kiiroha's attack had no effect besides dissipating that Dark Pulse...."

"This is no ordinary opponent, Maylene. " Officer Jenny cautioned. "This is Admin Saturn of the notorious Team Galactic. Not only do they want to create a new world by destroying this one, they want to recreate the entire universe itself!"

Way to ruin my epic moment... Saturn thought as Mars' and Jupiter's teams arrived. "Everyone, unleash the Golbats!"

---------

"There's too many!" Dawn cried as Lola desperately tried freezing some Golbats. Kori rushed to help, but more Golbats flew in to replace the frozen ones.

[To the rescue!] another familiar voice called as a massive Thunderbolt knocked out many of the Golbats.

"Surge?" Ash gasped as he saw Reggie and Surge attempt to help contain the Golbats.

Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo... Brock sang, creating a blinding green flash that dispersed the Golbats surrounding Surge.

[You okay?] Tintri asked as Surge collected himself.

[I think so--you're actually stronger than you look, Super-chu.] Surge smiled.

He suddenly spotted a Shadow Ball headed for Tintri! [Look out!]

[HI-YA!] Tarina leaped over a rock and whacked away the Shadow Ball, which exploded against a wall.

[Thanks, Tarina!] Tintri squeaked before the whirs of helicopters overhead got his attention. [What's going on?]

"Everyone! Aim for the cables attached to the meteors!" Ash called, pointing out some heavy cables attached to the Three Heavenly Jewels.

[Here, Magi-chu, let me boost your spell a little...] Surge offered, powering Tarina's Thundershock into a Thunderbolt.

[Thanks!] Tarina smiled. [Swirling bolts, gather and strike with power!]

[Ha!] Kiiroha cried as she cut one cable with a bone. A sparking arrow from Brock cut another, and Tintri eagerly charged Brock's next shot.

"Kori, use Whirlpool to protect the Three Heavenly Jewels!" Dawn called.

Saturn sighed as the three meteors swirled in a tornado of water. "Retreat, everyone--it appears we must re-think our strategy..."

---------

"Jenny, I am so sorry..." Ash sighed. "I wanted to catch the Galactic admins, but in all the confusion, they got away..."

"You did more than enough." Officer Jenny assured Ash. "What matters is that communication is back up, the Three Heavenly Jewels are safe, and no one was hurt in all this."

"Besides, we'll have a chance to stop Team Galactic soon enough." Brock agreed as Officer Jenny draped a medallion of valor around each Pokemon...

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 54: The Bells are Singing

Ash smiled as Erin twirled through the air and smacked a rock with Force Palm. "Very good! Think you can try hitting a rock coming from the other way?" he asked as he looked for a suitable rock to throw.

[I kin certainly try.] Erin purred as Ash found another pebble at the foot of a tree.

"Okay..here it comes!" Ash called before heaving the pebble in a left facing arc.

He gasped as Erin tripped on a tree branch and crashed to the ground. "Are you okay?" he asked as he hurried to help his Riolu from the grass.

[I'm fine.] Erin replied. [Wasn't te first ting I've ever tripped over, and probably won't be te last one, either!]

"If you need a larger target for Erin, she's always welcome to try catching arrows." Brock offered.

"We're not quite ready for catching arrows yet, but I do think we're ready to move up from rocks." Ash replied as Erin dusted herself off. "But I'll keep that in mind."

[I'd love te learn te catch an arrow!] Erin gasped, starry eyed.

"Well, Brock's a master archer, so when we get the hang of some larger objects, we'll try to catch some arrows." Ash assured his Riolu. "But for now, you've earned a break."

Brock, meanwhile, noticed a magazine Dawn was reading. "Interesting...what kind of magazine is that?"

"It's one of my back issues of Poké Chic, a fashion magazine for coordinators." Dawn explained. "In addition to the latest coords for people, it also has a section that features Pokémon in outfits."

"Coords...like idol coords?" Brock was intrigued.

"Something like that--coordinators share twelve brands of their own, which often cross over into the music industry." Dawn replied.

She remembered something as she set the magazine aside. "Which reminds me..."

After rummaging through her bag, she pulled out a red vest with a line of orange gradience and lines of pale pink. "I was inspired by a Prism Stardust design, and made my own little outfit that I think Lola would like. Mom helped with the sewing, though."

She gently slipped the outfit onto Lola. "What do you think?" she asked as she allowed Lola to look at herself in a hand mirror.

[It's lovely!] Lola giggled. [Thank you!]

"I take it Prism Stardust is a coordinator costume brand?" Ash asked as he watched Lola dance in the new outfit.

Dawn nodded. "They specialize in 80's style sparkling and neon motifs."

[That looks nice on you.] Tintri agreed, bemused in Lola's dancing.

Suddenly, Lola heard a ringing sound as a yellow, spherical Pokémon similar to a bell floated into the clearing. [Oh, you wanted to dance with me too?] Lola asked.

Dawn read up on the small Pokemon as Lola hugged it:

"Chingling, the bell Pokemon. Each time it hops, it makes a ringing sound. It deafens foes by emitting high-frequency cries."

"There you are!" Ash heard a female voice call as a dull green haired girl in an elegant red, white and gold outfit arrived in the clearing. "I've been looking all over for you, Suzu!"

She noticed the group gawking at her. "Oh, hello! I'm Francesca, and I'm a traveling magician."

"A magic act?" Dawn was intrigued. "What kinds of tricks do you do?"

"Well, you've met Suzu, one of my Chinglings, already." Francesca smiled as she heaved a cloth skyward. "I have two others...Cloche and Nella!"

As if on cue, two more Chingling and a flock of Pidgeys appeared from the cloth! "Wow!" Ash gasped, impressed.

Francesca next snapped to summon a familiar magician's wand. Aparecium Flos!

The Pokemon giggled as nothing seemed to happen. "Funny, I know the trick worked before..." Francesca mused before trying the trick's magic words again. Aparecium Flos!

She noticed Suzu giggling as she hid the orange flower that was supposed to appear in a bush. "Suzu!"

"Has Suzu always been like this?" Dawn wondered.

"No--normally she's very willing to assist with tricks." Francesca explained. "But ever since Cloche and Nella were added to the act, she's been acting up."

"Is it possible she's jealous of her co-stars, or feels like she's been replaced?" Brock wondered. "Either that, or she's depressed..."

A ringing note snapped Dawn to attention. "What the..."

Ash heard the same note, and noticed Suzu plucking one of the C strings on Brock's harp. "I think we found something Suzu likes..."

"That's it!" Brock smiled. "The harp's sound reminds her of a bell!"

"Do you know any stories about bells, or feature a bell in the plot?" Dawn asked as Brock reclaimed his harp from Suzu. "Maybe that could inspire Suzu and remind her that she is still loved and appreciated."

"That's a good idea--I never thought Suzu could be depressed." Francesca smiled. "Please, young minstrel--spin us a tale."

Brock thought for a moment. "This is a tale from Houen about the twin bell towers of Lillycove City." he explained.

"If we find May again, I'll have to ask her about those." Dawn smiled as Brock played an ethereal melody to compose his thoughts.

"Long ago, when Lilycove was just a village by the coast, a young fisherman named Kaitou prayed to Arceus every day for a good catch and favorable seas." Brock began. "But the village's temple had no bell, so the people often didn't know what time it was. As Kaitou set sail one morning, he mused that if the temple had a bell, not only would people know what time it was, it would look beautiful, as well."

"Makes sense." Ash mused.

"Now, the fishermen never went near a certain island near the port, because of the rough seas and strange noises that came from it." Brock explained. "One day, the village elder returned from a long journey, and the people were amazed at the things he had seen and heard across the land. They particularly enjoyed hearing about the temple bells--some of them were loud and piercing..." He proceeded to play a ringing chord that sounded like a bell. "..and some were merely a soft tinkle."

Ash chuckled as he played a soft trilling chord for effect. "Other bells almost sang like a person's voice..." He played an upward glissando for effect. "...and some had a low and deep rumble that could shake the earth if it wanted to." He played the bottom C string for effect.

"Amazing!" Dawn smiled.

"The villagers all pleaded for a bell--that way, they would know when it was time to get up, when it was time for lunch, when the day's work was over, or if there was an emergency." Brock explained. "The elder replied that he wanted a temple bell just as much as they did, but how were they to get a bell made without the means to pay for it?"

"Good question..." Ash smiled as Tintri bounded on his shoulder, enthralled by the story.

"Kaitou took it upon himself to ask for donations, and before long, the villagers had donated enough to make a little bell, just big enough for their temple's tower." Brock explained, setting the harp down long enough to make a form in the air describing how big the hypothetical small bell was. "He took the money to the miko, whose name was Satomi, and asked where they could get the bell made. Satomi replied that a good friend of hers was a bellmaker in a major city, and so she would send word to her. When the bellmaker, whose name was Kotone, heard about the village, she offered to make them a large bell for the price of their donations. So a beautiful silver bell was made, and brought to the village by ship."

After playing "The Prayer to the Sea" to simulate the ship traveling, Brock went on "Kaitou saw the ship approaching four days later, and offered to guide them to the village. But the captain was young and arrogant, saying the waves were no match for the fastest ship in the sea."

"Bad idea!" Francesca grinned, to some laughter as Cloche and Nella joined Suzu in listening to Brock's performance.

"But they soon sailed straight into the pounding waves, and all Kaitou and the ship's crew could do was watch as a pair of giant Octillery tentacles grabbed the bell." Brock intoned, making the laughter turn to gasps. "Heartbroken, the villagers vowed to get the bell back, despite Satomi's pleas not to. The villager's simple wooden boats were no match for the Octillery."

He added as an aside "It was a miracle the villagers even survived."

Nervous giggles went up in agreement. "That night, Satomi called the villagers together, and reminded them that the shrine was a sign of Arceus' and the Legendaries' providence, and that the Octillery was no match for Arceus' divine power." Brock went on. "The next morning, Kaitou led Satomi and her apprentices to the island, Satomi singing all the while...

Te lei ze cra riou te ze... Dawn sang along with the harp's reverent melody.
    Cra riou ze te riou rei neu, riou ze...
    Va rei ze te, neu te riou te cra
    Riou rei cra riou ze rei va ze rei...
    Va neu va rei, va neu va ze rei!
    Cra riou cra neu te rei cra riou ze lei va
    Lei va neu cra te lei lei!

Some light applause went up when Dawn finished her solo. "As the last note of Satomi's hymn echoed across the water, the Octillery surfaced wearing the bell like a hat!" Brock announced, to some laughter as the Pokemon pictured the Octillery wearing the bell. "Satomi tried to explain that the bell was for the temple, but when the Octillery refused to give it back, Satomi started her hymn again, making the Octillery writhe about in pain from the holy words..."

Te lei ze cra riou te ze... Dawn sang with the harp again.
    Cra riou ze te riou rei neu, riou ze...
    Va rei ze te, neu te riou te cra
    Riou rei cra riou ze rei va ze rei...
    Va neu va rei, va neu va ze rei!
    Cra riou cra neu te rei cra riou ze lei va
    Lei va neu cra te lei lei!

When the last note faded into the afternoon sky, Brock went on "The Octillery broke down in tears, saying it wanted the bell to protect its head from bumping into ship prows, and that was why it made waves to keep ships away."

"Oh"s wafted through the crowd as the audience put two and two together. "Kaitou explained that the bell was to help tell the time." Brock continued. "Satomi agreed, allowing the Octillery to keep the bell if it could remember to ring it every fifteen minutes--once at 15, 30, and 45 minutes past the hour, and as many times as needed for the hour--once at 1, two times at 2, and so on all the way to twelve times at noon and midnight. The Octillery happily agreed, and every fifteen minutes, it dutifully told the time according to Satomi's instructions."

He concluded "When the village got a more appropriate size of bell later in the year, the two of them harmonized as they tolled the hour."

He smiled. "In fact, replicas of them still toll the hour in Lilycove City today."

Suzu unleashed a few happy rings of approval as Brock took a bow. She then wrapped around Brock, making a soft trilling ring all the while. "Suzu says thank you." Francesca explained. "Your tale seems to have inspired her."

"My pleasure!" Brock smiled as Suzu continued nuzzling him in thanks.

"If you're competing in the Fantasy Stage, I wish you good luck." Francesca told Brock. "We all believe you have the talent to make it to the Grand Fantasy Stage!"

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

Episode 55: Pokemon Ranger and the Kidnapped Riolu (part 1)

An explosion filled the air, almost drowning out the ringing of the alarm as several men fled a research facility with a Riolu. "Stop!" some researchers pleaded as they tried to run after the fleeing thieves. "That Riolu you took is a priceless research item!"

"We have to recover Amira safely at any cost." the chief researcher agreed. "Her power can be devastating in the wrong hands."

The researchers gasped as a wave of flames came flying towards the building. "Hit the deck!"

Inside the truck, a Riolu shuddered as she clambered on the grate that served as the back wall of her prison. I've got to find a way out of here...

She strained her ears to listen to the human language up front. Her captors were saying something, but even with her aura powers, she couldn't make out what they were talking about.

After taking a few deep breaths to calm herself, she managed to make out a little of the conversation. "...we tricked the little aura-dog into thinking we would bring her home."

The Riolu growled at this. They tried to trick me, did they? Well, I'm not falling for their little trick!

With that, she charged a tiny Aura Sphere, blowing the truck's back door open. Yes! Now I can get out!

She elegantly jumped out as the truck came to a screeching halt, darting into the grass and into a forest. The sooner I can find a human that can help me, the better!

---------

...Ah dee do ah dee do da day,
    Ah dee do ah dee day dee,
    He whistled and he sang, till the green woods rang,
    and he won the heart of a lady...
    Brock finished a song as he led Ash and Dawn through the forest.

Dawn applauded the song. "That was a sweet song..."

"I learned it off an old record of Galarian folk songs my dad digitized." Brock explained. "Like all folk songs, it has many different versions."

He was about to say more when he spotted a prone blue and black figure in the distance. "Something's lying in the grass!"

"I'll go check it out!" Ash hurried over to the tiny figure. "It looks like a Riolu..."

He noticed a gash across the Riolu's chest as Brock and Dawn arrived. "It's hurt--got any first aid, Brock?"

"Right here." Brock set down a familiar white box by Ash. "Restocked it before we left Veilstone."

The Riolu growled a warning as Ash found some ointment in the first aid kit. "It's okay...I want to help you." he assured the small wolf-like Pokemon.

He gasped as he felt a hand on his shoulder. "I know you want to help that Riolu, but right now, she sees you as a threat. You need to earn her trust first."

"Who are you?" Ash asked. "Friend, or foe?"

He looked behind him to find a navy haired boy in a familiar red, white, and gold uniform. "Friend, traveler--Lunick of the Pokemon Ranger Corps, at your service!"

"Lunick...do you maybe have a partner? A girl named Solana?" Ash asked.

"Yes--Solana is my partner, Ash Ketchum of Pallet Town." Lunick replied. "She spoke highly of you when she returned from Houen."

Ash smiled as he got up from the grass. "Solana told me a lot about you, too."

"Let's get this Riolu somewhere safe so we can treat her wounds." Lunick motioned for Ash to follow him.

"We'll fill you in on how we met Solana later." Brock told Dawn as he watched Lunick place the Riolu inside a medical backpack.

"There--this way, her wound will be stabilized until we can get her to a Pokemon Center." Lunick explained. "Solana is here, too. We were both instructed to find this Riolu, and keep her safe from a band of Pokemon hunters."

He next showed the Riolu a small wooden Riolu figurine. "Your name is Amira, right?" he asked the Riolu.

The Riolu yipped happily in reply. "Okay then, Amira--you're safe with us." Lunick replied as he put the figurine away. "Let's go, everyone."

---------

In a clearing, Lunick set the medical backpack on the ground. "We should be safe here. Let's treat Amira's wound."

The Riolu yawned as Lunick set her on the ground, then dug out a Potion. "Here...this is medicine for your owie." he assured the Riolu.

Dawn watched Lunick clean and dress the Riolu's wound. "I love how you're so gentle with Amira."

"Treating hurt Pokemon is one of the many jobs we Pokemon Rangers do." Lunick replied as he admired his handiwork for a moment.

Ash watched as Amira approached the lake near the clearing. She took out the wooden figurine. "Is that figurine special at all?" he wondered.

"That figurine is a gift from the man who raised Amira." Lunick replied

For a few fleeting seconds, Ash could see a living room in a house. An old man knelt down to give a familiar Riolu the figurine. "Here, Amira--this is a gift from me."

Ash rubbed his eyes to be sure he wasn't dreaming, but all he could see was the lake and the surrounding forest. "What was that? Was I dreaming?"

"No--Amira used her own aura to show you that memory." Lunick explained. "That means she trusts you."

Everyone gasped at this. Aura is like a feeling, and Ash's Aura is attuned with Amira's." Lunick explained. "This is how Ash can still tap into Sir Aaron's magic, and use the legendary Swanna's song."

"Golden Sun calling Silver Moon, do you copy?" came a familiar voice over the Capture Styler's speaker. "Golden Sun calling Silver Moon, do you read me?"

Lunick scrambled to retrieve a small cell phone-like device with a long glowing antenna. "This is Silver Moon, I read you loud and clear."

"PokeMaster01, standing by!" Ash waved at the familiar teal haired girl on the device's screen.

"PewterSong, standing by!" Brock smiled.

"Good to see both of you, but my message is for Lunick." Solana replied. "I've found the location of J's hideout--Blue Angel and I are on the way there."

"Roger--I have Amira, and we'll get her to our agreed rendezvous point." Lunick replied. "Silver Moon out."

---------

Dawn watched the forest slip into the distance as the group set sail across the lake. "So, why is J so interested in Amira?" she asked.

"Amira comes from the Paradise Kingdom, a place far from here." Lunick explained. "Once she's old enough, she will use her special Aura powers to serve as the kingdom's new guardian.

Brock swallowed hard as he saw some ominous blue-black fins approaching. "Sharpedo!"

"JUMP!" Ash called as one of the Sharpedo smashed the boat in half.

"Thought you could hide from me, Wonder Boy?" Ash heard J taunt from the sky. "Your precious Riolu will be mine once I'm through with you!"

Lunick spotted a Floatzel leaping out of the water. "Floatzel, I need your help!"

"Cool!" Dawn gasped as the Capture Styler's antenna glowed and fired a beam at the Floatzel, binding it an a blue-white coil.

The group scrambled on the Floatzel's back. "Take us to the shore, and fast!" Lunick told the Floatzel.

[Whoa!] Tintri gasped as a Sharpedo attempted Aqua Jet, creating a wave. [Take THIS!!!] he screeched as he fired a Thunderbolt.

J seemed unfazed by one of the Sharpedo being shocked by Tintri's attack. "So, you want to fight, do you?"

She aimed her bracelet at the trembling Riolu in Ash's arms. "Frozen Darkness!"

The Floatzel countered the black ice crystals J had fired with Water Gun, hitting her Salamence in its wing. [I have an idea to get this bad human off our backs...] Amira told Ash. [Do you trust me?]

"Yes...I trust you." Ash replied.

He watched as Amira dropped the figurine in the water. "The figurine! After it!" he heard J call to her minions.

"It worked!" Dawn watched as J's Salamence and J's remaining minions went in the opposite direction from where Amira had dropped the figurine.

"Now to retrieve the figurine." Ash began as he stashed his cap, shoes and socks in his bag. "Hold your breath, Amira...we're gonna get wet."

---------

[Mmm... did we lose them?] Amira asked as she and Ash drifted to shore. The Floatzel Lunick had captured had come ashore nearby.

"I think so..." Ash replied as he offered the figurine. "I found the figurine, too."

Tintri gasped as the group reunited in the forest. [Salamence wings!]

"Run for it!" Brock called as Ridley heaved a Flamethrower, setting a patch of forest ablaze.

"You can run all you like, Wonder Boy, but I will find you, even if I have to burn this entire forest to the ground!" J threatened as she watched the group flee into the forest.

Ash growled as Ridley fired another Flamethrower. Gatrandis favel, secret, edena...

"Ash is using the Swanna Song?" Dawn gasped as Ash continued. Emusto ronzen fine el balaziis...

Katoradis favel siicletu edena... At this line, shining waves of water started to form around Ash, Tintri, and Amira. Emusto koron zen fine, si...

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 56a: Pokemon Ranger and the Kidnapped Riolu (part 2)

Previously, on "Pokemon Shine Diamond..."

"You can run all you like, Wonder Boy, but I will find you, even if I have to burn this entire forest to the ground!" J threatened as she watched the group flee into the forest.

Ash growled as Ridley fired another Flamethrower. Gatrandis favel, secret, edena...

"Ash is using the Swanna Song?" Dawn gasped as Ash continued. Emusto ronzen fine el balaziis...

Katoradis favel siicletu edena... At this line, shining waves of water started to form around Ash, Tintri, and Amira. Emusto koron zen fine, si...

J sneered as Ash crumpled to the forest floor in exhaustion. "You forget that I can still take your Riolu even though you're behind a wall of water." she smirked as she used a robotic arm to reach through the shining watery shield Ash had created and snatched Amira.

"We have to get the Pokemon out of here!" Dawn called as she helped a family of Parchirisus into a small cave.

"I'll take the bigger Pokemon to the hill nearby." Brock offered as he motioned for a Stantler to follow him.

[What about me?] Tarina asked. [What can I do?]

"Well..." Brock thought for a moment, aware of the fire rapidly consuming the trees. "Help Dawn evacuate as many of the little Pokemon as you can, okay?"

[Got it!] With that, Tarina hurried off to help a family of Ratattas get to safety.

"Blastoise, I need you!" Lunick called as he bound a third Blastoise with his Capture Styler. "Can you guys use Rain Dance to put out the fire?"

[Sure!] one Blastoise replied. The three Blastoise began jumping and dancing around the charred underbrush, creating a large storm.

Ash's watery shield dispelled as the rain started to fall, putting out many of the lingering flames. [Do you feel strong enough to climb into this tunnel I made?] Diddy asked as he surfaced.

"mmm...where does it go?" Ash asked, still woozy from using the Swanna Song earlier.

[The Pokemon Hunter's ship.] Diddy explained. [Maybe the Riolu is in there!]

"Okay...we'll see if Amira is there..." Ash sleepily replied as he climbed into the tunnel.

[I'll getcha there in style, since that super-song wore you out.] Tails offered.

Ash found a large plank of wood just large enough for him and his team to fit. "Okay--this will be our boat to J's ship."

With that, Tails heaved a blast of water into the tunnel, allowing the group to drift slowly down the tunnel...

---------

Ash climbed up through an air vent some moments later. "Having the tunnel come out near an air vent was a great idea." he told Diddy as the Pokemon emerged. "That gave me enough time to recover from before, so I can use my Swanna Song again if we have to."

He suddenly felt the ground give way under him and his team! "You'll be needing that Swanna Song sooner than you think, you little sneak!" J laughed as Ash and his team went hurtling through the sky. "Happy landings!"

[J somehow knew we were coming!] Tails gasped. [But to be fair, we did make a big mess on her ship before...]

[That's how she likely knew we were coming!] Diddy screeched. [We're gonna be Poke-cakes if we don't do something!]

Gatrandis favel, secret edena.... Ash's voice echoed through the sunny sky.
    Emusto ronzen fine el balaziis...

Lunick looked up to see Ash and his team streaking towards a pile of underbrush. "Staraptor, go save Ash!" he commanded, binding a passing Staraptor with his Capture Styler.

The Staraptor nodded, and hurried to intercept the falling boy and his Pokemon, using Ash's voice as a guide:

Katoradis favel siicletu edena...
    Emusto koron zen fine, si...

As Ash's last Bb echoed into the clouds, he felt himself land on something soft. "Feathers...Estrella, is that you?"

[No--your Ranger friend heard your song and sent me to help you.] the Staraptor explained before returning to the surface to meet Lunick, Dawn, and Brock.

"Thank Arceus you're okay!" Dawn hurried to embrace Ash.

"Thank you, Staraptor." Lunick replied as he released the Staraptor. "Are you sure you're okay?" he asked Ash as he inspected Tails and Diddy for injuries.

"Yeah..." Ash wheezed. "Just very tired..."

"I'm not surprised--the Swanna Song is said to give great power at the cost of the singer's strength." Solana explained as she met the group. "Ash must have great spiritual strength to use it twice in one day."

She turned business-like again. "While you were dealing with the rescue operation, my end of things took a turn for the worse too. It turns out the one who hired J fled before we could catch him!"

"Come on!" Lunick called. "Where the client is, Amira is too!"

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 56b: Pokemon Ranger and the Kidnapped Riolu (part 3)

Previously, on "Pokemon Shine Diamond"...

[No--your Ranger friend heard your song and sent me to help you.] the Staraptor explained before returning to the surface to meet Lunick, Dawn, and Brock.

"Thank Arceus you're okay!" Dawn hurried to embrace Ash.

"Thank you, Staraptor." Lunick replied as he released the Staraptor. "Are you sure you're okay?" he asked Ash as he inspected Tails and Diddy for injuries.

"Yeah..." Ash wheezed. "Just very tired..."

"I'm not surprised--the Swanna Song is said to give great power at the cost of the singer's strength." Solana explained as she met the group. "Ash must have great spiritual strength to use it twice in one day."

She turned business-like again. "While you were dealing with the rescue operation, my end of things took a turn for the worse too. It turns out the one who hired J fled before we could catch him!"

"Come on!" Lunick called. "Where the client is, Amira is too!"

"Next question...where IS J?" Dawn wondered as the group walked down a road. "She likely flew off in her ship, and we have no leads on where it could've gone..."

"I'm trying to help on finding some leads, but every source I know of hasn't spotted it." Solana sighed as she closed the Ranger Browser. "Not even RangerNet has spotted it."

"Ash...can you maybe use your Aura power to contact Amira somehow?" Lunick asked. "One known power of aura is a kind of telepathy..."

"Dunno if aura and telepathy are the same thing, but we can try." Ash replied before focusing his thoughts. Amira...it's Ash. I want to rescue you, but my friends and I have no idea where you are!

Ash...you'd have a long way to walk from your current position. Amira's voice echoed back in reply. My captor has flown to an overlook at the top of the large hill you guys are climbing. By the time you get to the top, I will be in the captor's lair.

Hold on, Amira--I'm going to do everything I can to rescue you, or die trying! Ash silently vowed before coming out of the aura trance.

"I managed to contact Amira." he explained. "She's at the top of this hill, waiting to be delivered to the one who hired J."

Lunick spotted some Dodrio by the roadside. "Maybe these can get us there before the hunter does."

"I'll help you!" Solana offered before capturing a Dodrio with her own Capture Styler. "Dodrio, we all need you!"

---------

A few moments later, the band of five Dodrios reached the top of the hill. "There they are..." Lunick whispered as he watched J deliver the struggling Amira to a black suited man.

Just then, J spotted Ash's cap peeking over the bush. "I know you're here, Wonder Boy--and you're running out of time to get your Riolu!"

"Oh yeah?" Ash shot back before heaving a Poke Ball skyward. "Estrella, cut the tires on the van over there!" he called, pointing out the black van the man had arrived in.

A pop of a Poke Ball got Brock's attention. "I think the one who hired J was prepared for you to do that..." he sighed as he watched the man fly away aboard a Fearow.

Ash was relieved to hear a police siren. "What should we do now?" he asked as J and some of her minions released some of their Pokemon.

"We'll hold off J and her men while you follow the Fearow." Officer Jenny assured Ash as she summoned her Arcanine. "Hurry!"

"Let's surprise J with Mega Steelix to buy Ash and Lunick some time." Dawn suggested.

Brock nodded, then held his Mega Ring skyward. Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo...

Lunick watched as the flashing emerald from Brock's Mega Ring blinded J and her men for a moment. "Now's our chance! Let's go!" he called as he led the way into the forest underbrush.

---------

Lunick and Ash came to a screeching halt by a cave entrance, just in time to see an armored reptilian Pokemon Ash remembered as Aggron. "Wonderful..." Ash sighed as rocks rained before the entrance, preventing the trainer and his Ranger escort from going further.

"We can't give up yet!" Lunick assured Ash before pointing out a Donphan. "That Donphan can break down the rocks!"

With that, he reached for his Capture Styler. "Donphan, we need you!"

The Donphan curled into a ball and charged at the rocks, allowing Ash and Lunick inside the cave. "Come on!" Ash called as he ran inside.

He froze when he saw a three way fork. Now, which way did the man go?

He focused his thoughts for a moment. Amira--can you hear me? Where are you?

Take the tunnel to the left--I'm in there! Amira's voice echoed back.

Ash nodded as Lunick and his Donphan arrived. "Amira's in that blocked tunnel on the left." he explained, pointing out the rocks that sealed the left route.

"Right!" Lunick smiled. "You know what to do, Donphan?"

The Donphan nodded, and charged at the rock's again, creating a path for Ash and Tintri. "H-how did you get here?" the man gasped as Ash and Trintri arrived in the room.

"Amira told me." Ash grinned, pointing out the Riolu squirming in the man's arms.

He looked over at Tintri. "Use Volt Tackle!"

[HAAAAAAHHH!!!!] Tintri screeched as he streaked at the man, knocking him down and sending Amira flying.

Ash caught Amira. "I gotcha...you're safe now." he assured the Riolu as Tintri rejoined him.

I always knew you would come--thank you! Amira smiled back as Ash and Tintri met Lunick at the cave entrance...

---------

Later that afternoon, Solana watched as the man was led away to Officer Jenny's cruiser. "Well done." she smiled as Lunick and Ash arrived with Amira. "While J and her cronies escaped, we got the one that hired her."

"That, and Amira is safe." Ash reported.

Amira's eyes widened when she saw a familiar old man. Master!

"Amira, thank Arceus you're all right!" the old man smiled as Ash set Amira on the ground, allowing her to run into her master's arms.

"Aw..." Dawn smiled as Amira and the old man embraced.

"Words cannot express how thankful I am for your work in bringing back Amira." the old man smiled. "Name what you will, and it is yours."

"All in a day's work for a Pokemon Ranger!" Solana smiled. Lunick nodded in agreement.

"Before we discuss any rewards, there's still one more thing I have to return..." Ash explained.

He produced the Riolu figurine from a pocket. "Here you go..." he assured Amira as he gave her the small figurine. "I kept your toy safe for you."

Amira smiled as she accepted the figure. Two times my hero! You have my heartiest blessing on your travels, Ash!

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf @Soups;

Episode 57a: Pika and Goliath (part 1)

"It was a good thing we found a roadside picnic table..." Dawn smiled as the group enjoyed lunch together. "I'm sure you appreciate not cooking for once." she grinned at Brock.

"Yeah--I don't mind ordering out on occasion." Brock agreed. "Or picking up boxed lunches in town." He let that hang as he bit into the beef and cheddar sandwich he had ordered.

"That Combusken Caesar salad wrap looks delicious." Ash smiled as he bit into the crispy Combusken sandwich he'd ordered.

"I couldn't decide whether to eat healthily or indulge, and this was my solution." Dawn explained. "It was nice of the restaurant for the Pokemon to get their own box for free."

"To be fair, it was Pokemon Eat Free day." Brock smiled as he watched Hinata roast some of the Combusken meat in her box to her liking.

Tintri, meanwhile, gasped as the Leppa Berry slice he was about to eat slipped out of his paw. [Oops...]

[I'll help you get that Berry slice back!] Kori volunteered.

[Come on!] Tintri led Kori down the hill, being careful to keep the bouncing Leppa Berry slice in view.

The Pikachu and the Piplup stopped in their tracks when they saw a Pichu eating the Leppa slice. [Well, so much for that...] Kori sighed as she started back up the hill.

[Sho, come look!] the Pichu called, snapping Tintri and Kori to attention.

"What is it, Watt?" a boy with neatly slicked dull blue hair asked as he emerged from the brush.

He gasped when he spotted Tintri. "Wow...who know you could find wild Pikachus out here?"

Just then, Ash arrived. "Tintri, there you are!"

"Now, wait a minute!" the boy protested. "I found this Pikachu fair and square!"

"This Pikachu isn't wild, he has a name!" Ash protested. "You can't steal a named Pokemon from a trainer! You have to ask the trainer if they're willing to trade! And if they say no, then you have to respect that."

"Okay then, we'll trade." the boy offered. "I've got a number of Electric types I can offer for your Pikachu--interested in a Mareep?"

"No--I've already raised one to full power and beyond." Ash declined the offer.

"A Magnemite, then?" the boy offered.

"No."

"Voltorb?"

"No."

"Jolteon?"

"No."

"Forgive me for interrupting..." Brock interjected before realizing the boy had not told the group his name.

"Sho, please." the boy replied.

"Okay then, Sho...why do you want Ash to give you Tintri so badly?" Brock asked. "The two of them have been together for a long time..."

"Easy...I want to own a complete Pikachu family." Show replied. "I have Watt..." He petted the Pichu. "and I have Nitro, my Raichu. So all I need is Pikachu to complete the family."

"So, why don't you just evolve Watt?" Ash wondered.

"Then I'd have to catch another Pichu." Sho replied. "How about this--why don't we duel over your Pikachu? Nitro against your Pikachu--Tintree, was it?"

"You say it 'CHIN-tri'. Ash corrected Sho. "it's a short form of the Low Galarian word for 'lightning'"

"Okay--if CHIN-tree beats Nitro, you can keep him." Sho offered. "If Nitro beats him, CHIN-tree is mine."

"No." Ash shot back. "Tintri is my partner, and I won't let anyone take him away from me."

Dawn gasped as Tintri suddenly collapsed on the ground. "Oh no!"

"TINTRI!!!!" Ash screamed as he hurried to retrieve his woozy Pikachu.

"I'm dialing Pokemon Emergency Services right now..." Brock assured Ash as he dialed a three digit number on his PokeNav. "I can only hope Tintri can hang on long enough for him to get help..."

---------

Ash's heart pounded as he watched Nurse Joy and her team of Chanseys desperately attempt to stabilize Tintri with a defibrillator. "Just how did Tintri suddenly black out like that?" he asked as Brock and Dawn joined him in the trainer waiting room.

"According to Nurse Joy, it was a combination of stress, anxiety, and overactive electrical glands." Dawn explained. "Brock did the right thing by calling Pokemon Emergency Services immediately--an overactive electrical gland is life threatening to the Pikachu family."

"It was nothing you said or did." Brock assured Ash "The way that Sho guy was acting, and the stress and anxiety of potentially being separated from you when he didn't want to sent his electrical glands into overdrive.

"That makes sense..." Ash replied, trying his hardest to keep his mind off the potential scenario of Tintri dying. Hang in there, bud...for me...

The door opening snapped the group to attention. "Okay...we finally managed to get your Pikachu stabilized." Nurse Joy explained. "His stress and anxiety levels were quite high--your friend saved your Pikachu's life by calling emergency services in time."

"Is Tintri going to be okay?" Ash asked.

"We managed to calm the overactive gland, but we will keep him in PICU for a few days to make sure the gland doesn't flare up again." Nurse Joy explained. "For the moment, he is stable--and eager to see you."

"Thank Arceus..." Ash smiled. "Can I go see him?"

"This way." Nurse Joy led the way into the PICU wing of the Pokemon Center and into a room in the Electric type wing, where a Chansey was making notes on Tintri.

---------

[Ash!} Tintri smiled. [I'm so glad to see you! My life was flashing before my eyes for a second--when I rescued you and Misty both from those Spearows, seeing Ho'oh, all our Gym matches, seeing you use the Swanna Song for the first time, all the Pokemon we've met...]

"Well, I'm glad you're okay, too..." Ash gently hugged his companion. "I don't know what I'd do if I lost you..."

[Once I get the okay to battle again, I'm giving that Sho guy a piece of my mind.] Tintri muttered.

He smiled as he heard a familiar guitar tuning up. [Sweet! You remembered the guitar.] he told Brock.

"Well, I may not be an officially trained music therapist, but I can give you a song or two to help ease the pain." Brock assured Tintri before starting a soft adventurous melody...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf @Soups

Interlude: Electric Shock Memories

A few days later, the group listened as Nurse Joy observed Tintri sleeping. "Your Pikachu's making a great recovery--a far cry from what he looked like when emergency services brought him in a few days ago."

"When can I expect him to be in battling condition again?" Ash asked.

"You can actually start building his strength back up, so long as you don't overdo it at first." Nurse Joy replied. "If you were to start therapy today, Tintri can battle again in a few days."

"That's great news--any ideas for battle therapy?" Ash asked.

Nurse Joy gave Ash a sheet with ideas for rehabilitating an Electric type. "You can use these exercises to start. The rehab bay is also open to any Pokemon Center guest, if you need more ideas."

"Okay!" Ash smiled as Nurse Joy departed.

Dawn looked down on Tintri sleeping. "Has it ever crossed your mind to evolve Tintri?"

"Yes--but he never wanted to." Ash replied as he unzipped his bag and showed Dawn a green jewel with a yellow thunderbolt.

"That's a Thunder Stone!" Dawn gasped when she saw the jewel.

"It was a gift from the Vermilion City Joy--a long time ago." Ash explained. "I've kept it this long just in case Tintri ever wanted to evolve."

He noticed Brock had arrived in the room for his daily music therapy session with Tintri. "Brock, some appropriate music please--I want to tell Dawn about my match with Lt. Surge and Raika."

"I remember that match like yesterday..." Brock smiled as he started a relaxed melody that evoked Vermilion's harbor.

"This tale takes place not long after I started my first trip around Kanto." Ash explained. "We arrived in Vermilion after two weeks of traveling--Brock, my friend Misty, and me."

"You'll have to tell me more about Misty later." Dawn smiled. "She could be right at home as a coordinator."

"Actually, she prefers the Pokethlon as her activity of choice." Ash explained. "Anyway, Brock and Misty were eager to rest and relax, but me being a hotheaded young trainer at the time, I was more concerned about finding the Vermilion Gym."

"I remember telling you Tintri was in no condition to battle." Brock remembered as he continued his song.

"As we rested in the Pokémon Center, we saw a badly beaten-up Rattata." Ash went on. "But that poor Rattata was the tip of the iceberg--there were hundreds of other badly beaten Pokemon there. It was a wonder some of them were still alive."

"That sparking Sandshrew still haunts me to this day." Brock shuddered as his song turned somber.

"Nurse Joy told us that all the Pokemon had lost to Lt. Surge, the Vermilion City Gym Leader." Ash explained. "I was beginning to have second thoughts about taking him on myself, never mind I had earned my first two badges fair and square--although Misty begged to differ on my Boulder Badge. Brock came to my defense, saying I had gotten it fairly. But before a big fight broke out, Tintri emerged from the exam area."

"Since then, she knows you got my Badge fairly." Brock agreed. "You put in a heroic effort, and that's what I wanted to see."

"So, how did Tintri react to all those battered Pokemon?" Dawn wondered.

[I was white as a Gastly!] Tintri replied. [I was scared I'd be another notch on the Gym Leader's belt!]

"But we went to the Gym anyway.' Ash went on.

"I still remember the cadence the Pikachus chanted when you came in..." Brock smiled. "I don't know, but I've been told, the very best get a badge of gold!"

"Needless to say, 'the troops' did not give me a warm welcome." Ash admitted. "And then I saw Surge's Raichu, Raika, who was very much like her master--a trained electric soldier. In a way, Nitro reminded me of Raika."

"No wonder Tintri was afraid of Nitro..." Dawn mused.

"Surge thought evolution was the way to go, but even then, I believed that there was more to a Pokémon battle than evolution alone." Ash went on. "He even went so far to call me such names as 'private', 'baby', and 'maggot'!"

"Wow..." Dawn gasped at the humiliating names.

"That's only the ones we can mention in polite company..." Brock shuddered over the marching song he played.

"Tintri decided enough was enough, and vowed to defend my honor." Ash went on. "He was soundly thrashed, but he was furious at being beaten. Nurse Joy gave me that Thunder Stone that evening, but Brock warned me to think carefully before using it."

"You obviously didn't use it, right?" Dawn smiled.

"Nope--Tintri whacked it away." Ash remembered.

[I vowed to beat Raika as I was, or die trying!] Tintri smiled. [In honor and support of all Pikachu everywhere!]

"We learned that Lt. Surge had evolved Raika the moment he caught her." Ash continued. "While it gave her great power, there was one glaring weakness--the lack of speed."

"I see--she didn't learn all the speedy attacks Pikachu get." Dawn smiled.

"Tintri used that to his advantage to beat Raika, and win me a Thunder Badge, and Lt. Surge's respect." Ash finished his tale. "When we left, he actually called me General Ash, because of my skilled tactics."

He set the Thunderstone on a counter. "I'll leave this here for now--let's get Tintri to rehab."

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 57b: Pika and Goliath (part 2)

Tintri sat up in his bed later that night to stretch. [This rehab's sure working wonders!] he yawned. [At least Nurse Joy and the Chansies are here if I need anything.]

He grimaced when he saw the Thunder Stone. [Ash is STILL carrying around that rock after all this time? I STILL don't want to change...] he muttered as he rolled over.

As he lay there in the covers, Tintri replayed the day he had promised Ash he wasn't going to change in his mind. [It's just like Raika back then--if I could beat her, I can beat Sho's Raichu Nitro just the way I am!]

He climbed off the bed and out a window overlooking the Pokemon Center's yard. [I feel confident enough to see if I'm back in fighting shape...]

---------

"That was a great movie!" Dawn smiled as she led the way back to the room. "Let's go see if Tintri's asleep...

She froze when she saw the room empty. "Weird...where did Tintri go?"

"My Thunder Stone is still there..." Ash noted as he spotted his Thunder Stone still on the table.

"Then that means..." Brock started, only to see a huge thunderbolt light up the night sky. "Whoa!"

Ash's worried look turned to joy. "Tintri!" he called as he pointed out Tintri in the yard, charging up to use Volt Tackle.

"He was in the yard the whole time!" Dawn was also relieved as she followed Ash to the yard.

Ash applauded as Tintri streaked into the rock, creating another electric explosion. "That was great! I think you're close to being able to battle again."

[I was doing some more practice on that Volt Tackle exercise we did in rehab today.] Tintri explained. [Forgive me if I worried you guys.]

"But why be doing exercise this late?" Brock was confused.

[Remember when we battled Lt. Surge and Raika?] Tintri asked. [Sho and his Raichu Nitro reminded me of them. So I've been putting in extra practice so when I am cleared to battle, I can give him a piece of my mind for even thinking I was his.]

"Keep exercising like that, and you should be cleared to battle as soon as tomorrow." Dawn assured Tintri as the group went back inside.

[I kept my promise then, and I still intend to keep it now--just like I beat Raika, I'm gonna beat Nitro as I am, or die trying!] Tintri smiled. [In honor and support of all Pikachu everywhere!]

"Well, let's get you cleared to battle again first." Brock assured Tintri as he tucked him in bed...

---------

Dawn watched as Tintri leaped to catch a red thunderbolt Frisbee some days later. "I'm happy Tintri was cleared to travel and cleared to battle..." she smiled as she watched Ash and Tintri run about a field.

"Looks to me like that Frisbee exercise is his favorite..." Brock agreed as he watched Tintri bring back the Frisbee for Ash to throw again.

Before Ash could make another heave, a jolt of electricity burst out of the trees, interrupting the game. "Sho!" Ash recognized the electric burst. "Sho and Nitro are here!"

[Bout time...] Tintri replied as the group found Nitro shocking a few trees as Sho looked on.

Sho noticed the group and smiled. "Glad to see your Pikachu's all better...maybe now you'll consider giving him to me?"

"No...Tintri and I have been too much." Ash replied, trying his hardest not to lash out at Sho. "But if you want him so badly, let's duel for his fate!"

"Okay...but even though I'm gonna win, you're more than welcome to try and fight Nitro." Sho replied.

He heaved a Poke Ball skyward. "Watt, come see this!"

[I'll have you know that a Pikachu can beat a Raichu!] Tintri taunted as Brock drew a Poke Ball in the grass. [I have beaten Raichus, and I can beat you too!]

"We'll see..." Sho smirked. "On your count." he told Brock.

"Okay...3...2...1..." Brock's whistle echoed through the forest, signaling to the wild Pokemon that a battle was underway.

"Nitro, use Iron Tail!" Sho called.

He balked as Tintri spun over Nitro's head. "Errgh...Nitro, try Iron Tail in the other direction!"

"Tintri, try your own Iron Tail!" Ash countered.

Both silver tails clashed with a CLANG, forcing Dawn to shield her eyes. She peeked through long enough to see Tintri leaping and jumping over more Iron Tails. That attack's brighter than it looks... she thought as both Pikachu and Raichu clashed again with a silver flash. I'll have to ask Ash what appeal type it is later...

Her vision cleared enough to see Tintri use Quick Attack to slam into Nitro's stomach. Nitro went flying backwards, but was able to stay on his feet. Angry, he charged at Tintri with an Iron Tail. Tintri leaped away, and used his own Iron Tail on Nitro's stomach.

Tintri saw Nitro heaving with exhaustion. This is it! My chance to shine!

Dawn smiled as he saw the electric burst of Volt Tackle. "Go, Tintri!" she cheered as Tintri's powerful attack knocked Nitro down.

"Nitro, use Hyper Beam!" Sho called.

"What the..." Ash gasped as he watched Nitro charge a familiar orange beam. "Tintri, use Thunderbolt!"

Dawn watched the electric orange explosion in awe. But when the smoke cleared, Brock's whistle confirmed that Tintri was still standing. "Game Set! This match goes to Diamond."

"YEAH!!!" Ash cried as he hurried to hug Tintri.

Sho looked surprisingly calm as he collected Nitro. "Now I know that CHIN-tree is yours." he began. "I feel stupid trying to take him from you when the two of you have a beautiful bond."

"Besides, there's plenty of Pikachu in this area." Dawn agreed as Ash and Sho shook hands.

"Yeah...and when I do get my Pikachu, I want its bond with me to be as close as you two." Sho smiled.

"Bye!" Ash waved as Sho departed. "Good luck!"

"We'd better be on our way ourselves." Brock mused as the group got back on the main road.

"Out of curiosity, what appeal type is Iron Tail?" Dawn asked.

Ash brought up the move database in his Pokedex. "It is a very appealing Cool move. It makes a nice combo with Iron Defense..."

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by EmeraldSky; 03-25-2019 at 02:13 PM.