Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 45: Bibarel Gnaws Best!

"According to the guidebook, we should be getting to Solaceon Town in another day or so..." Brock mused.

He was about to say more when he noticed an incomplete bridge in the distance. "Uh oh...we may have to turn back..."

"Well, you can always ask the foreman--or forewoman--if it is safe to pass, or where an alternate route is." Dawn suggested.

She noticed Brock eying the forewoman, a green haired girl. "Remember you have Tarina here, so you need to set a good example for her."

"Okay..." Brock replied.

He approached the work area, where he caught the tail end of a conversation. "Isis, you've proven to be a very reliable worker so far. We hope you can come through for us despite the delay."

"You're being too nice to her!" a heavy-set man complained. "If this setback delays the bridge opening, what will people think? We'll lose business, and we won't get any more jobs!"

"One delay is not the end of the world..." Ash muttered.

"So long as there is a bridge to get them from point A to point B, who cares about who built it?" Dawn agreed.

About then, the green haired woman noticed the group. "Oh, were you needing to get across?"

"Forgive us for eavesdropping...Isis, was it?" Ash began. "We need to know if we can find a way across here."

"Or if we can solve what's causing your delay." Dawn smiled.

"I'm Ash..." Ash began. "...and these two are my companions Dawn..." Dawn waved hello. "...and Brock."

"How do you do?" Brock smiled before Dawn shot him a warning glance.

"Nice to meet you three." Isis smiled. "I suppose I can tell you about why our current job is delayed. See, we hired an expert stonecutter to help us build a new bridge for this area. Then he hurt his back some months ago. Then the head engineer took charge and put me in charge of stonecutting, but work has ground to a halt."

"Leave it to me!" Brock grinned. "I'll have the crew inspired in no time!"

[This sounds a lot like the story of the Absol that built a bridge...] Tarina mused.

"Say..." Brock smiled. "Tarina, you're a genius!"

He motioned to Ash and Dawn. "Come on...I have an idea."

---------

..."Your true name is Purmina!" Ash finally declares in character as the carpenter some time later.

Dawn feigns shock as Brock plays an upward glissando. "How...how did you know?"

"That is only for me to know, Lady Purmina." Ash smiles. Dawn dashes out of the stage area, over an interlude from Brock.

"And so, the Absol disappeared into the mists, humiliated that a human knew her true name." Brock narrates over his song. "Yet the bridge remained, forming a lovely arch over the roaring rapids. The bridge stood for many years afterwards. It can still be seen today, all thanks to a brave carpenter brave enough to guess an Absol's name."

He looks out over the enthralled Machokes and Machamps. "So ends the tale named 'The Absol that Built a Bridge'."

[Bravo!] a Machoke called as Ash, Dawn, Brock, and Tarina took a bow.

[Encore!] a Machamp agreed.

Even Isis smiled as she applauded. "While that was a great show, the Machokes and the Machamps are not the problem..."

"Then what is?" Dawn asked as she helped disassemble the makeshift stage.

"The Pokémon which cuts the stone." Isis replied. "If you would like, I can take you three to the quarry."

"Lead the way, then." Brock assured Isis.

---------

After climbing down a slope into the quarry, Isis pointed out a large beaver-like Pokemon dozing on a rock. "That is the Pokemon that cuts the stone."

"Bibarel, the beaver Pokemon." Ash's Pokedex began. "It makes its nest by damming streams with bark and mud. It is known as an industrious worker."

"If it's dozing like that, it's not working very hard." Dawn noted.

"That's nothing a Pokeflute wouldn't fix!" Ash smiled.

He held up a long deep brown recorder-like instrument with diamond inlays. "A couple of tunes should wake it up!"

He balked when Brock showed him a larger sideblown Pokeflute. "We may need a bigger instrument for a bigger Pokemon."

"The Pokeflute comes in bigger sizes besides what Ash has?" Dawn gasped.

"The Pokeflute is actually its own family of instruments." Brock explained. "What Ash has, and the most common size you'll see, is the soprano Pokeflute, which is endblown. What I have is an alto Pokeflute, which can be either sideblown or endblown."

"Oh, now I remember!" Ash smiled. "When I was little, they let you play the alto if you had passed the mastery benchmark for the soprano, if you wanted. I passed the benchmark, but wasn't interested in learning a new way to blow. You also had to learn to read everything a fifth downward."

"Then let me show you guys what the alto Pokeflute sounds like..." Brock smiled before preparing to play.

With that, he started playing the mighty instrument. A warm resonant F# echoed through the quarry. The single note then transformed into a playful, mysterious melody. Ash, Dawn, Isis, and the Pokemon listened, spellbound by the big flute.

But the Bibarel yawned and changed positions on the rock as the last note faded. "Hm...Pokeflutes are supposed to wake Pokemon, not put them to sleep..." Brock mused.

"If you're curious, I was the one who taught the Bibarel to cut stone, before showing it to the expert stonecutter." Isis explained. "The expert stonecutter took it under his wing. In a few short months, the Bibarel mastered stonecutting. Since the expert stonecutter hurt himself, Bibarel has refused to cut stone."

"Okay, so motivation's not the problem..." Brock mused as he put the alto Pokeflute away. "I was once the leader of the Pewter Gym in Kanto. So I should know a thing or two about cutting rock."

He motioned to Ash. "Mind if I borrow Diddy, Tails, and Gaia for a second?"

"Sure!" Ash replied as Diddy, Tails, and Gaia romped to Brock's side.

[What about me? What can I do?] Tarina asked.

"You can help too, okay?" Brock assured Tarina before leading Diddy to a slab of rock. "Okay...can you heat this slab of rock for me?"

[Sure!] Diddy replied. [How hot do you need it?]

"Hot enough that it will crack when we cool it down." Brock explained before giving Tails his instructions. "When you see the heated rock about to turn white, cool it down with a Water Gun."

[Got it!] Tails replied.

"Gaia, Tarina, over here..." Brock motioned for the Budew and the Pichu to come to him. "Once the rock cracks, I want you guys to break it off and cut it into smooth blocks. Can you two work together to do that?"

[Leave it to us!] Gaia smiled. Tarina nodded in agreement.

---------

Isis sighed as she measured a block the group had cut. "You were close, but the blocks are the wrong size." Everyone groaned at this.

Dawn gasped as a giant digger approached the quarry. 'The head engineer from before!"

"Rhydon, cut the stone with Horn Drill!" the engineer commanded.

No one expected the Bibarel to slam into the Rhydon. Angered, the Rhydon whapped the Bibarel with its tail. The attack sent the Bibarel flying across the ground.

Tarina gasped as the Rhydon lifted a foot to crush the Bibarel. [I can't look!]

A smile formed on Isis' face when she heard the Rhydon roar in pain. "I see--the Bibarel's trying to defend the quarry!"

"Aggron, use Iron Head!" The head engineer first summoned a large steel reptilian Pokemon.

"Magmar, use Flamethrower!" He next summoned a red and yellow humanoid Pokemon.

"Metang, use Metal Claw!" He then summoned a metallic Pokemon with two arms.

"Go, Bibarel!" Ash cheered as the Bibarel dodged the Iron Head and Metal Claw.

He gasped as the Bibarel went flying from the Flamethrower. "Come on, everyone! We need to help the Bibarel fend off these bullies!"

He called "Tintri, use Iron Tail!"

[Take THIS!] Tintri squeaked as he whacked the Rhydon, sending it sliding backwards.

[HAAAAAHHHH!!!!] Diddy heaved a Flamethrower at the Metang.

[Time to cool down!] Tails taunted before heaving a Water Gun at the Magmar!

Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo.... Tarina's tiny voice rang over the noise, sending the Aggron into a leafy tornado from Gaia.

Dawn grinned when she saw the trapped Aggron. "Kori, use Bubblebeam!"

Ash gasped as the head engineer jumped into the digger. "He's gonna crush us!" he screamed as the digger sped towards the quarry wall.

"What the..." Dawn gasped as a large rock appeared and knocked the digger over.

"Who did that?" the engineer demanded as he climbed from the ruined digger. "Who ruined my plan to crush these meddling kids?"

An older man peeked over the quarry edge with his own Machamp. "I did--you have a lot of explaining to do." he warned.

"But, I thought--!" Isis gasped.

"I never hurt my back in the first place." the expert stonecutter explained. "The only thing that needed healing was the blueprints. Somebody destroyed the originals and drew some of their own, and they were not up to regional code!"

"Sir, I did it so the project would be finished on time, and my reputation would be saved!" the engineer protested.

"You call THIS quality work?" The expert stonecutter removed the support from the bridge, causing it to crumble to dust.

Isis and the group approached the engineer. "You will never work as an engineer alongside stonecutters again, if you're going to do sub par work!"

"Leave this site immediately, or else!" the expert stonecutter agreed.

The group cheered as the head engineer ran off, followed by his Pokémon. "Thank you all for your help and talents." Isis smiled. "Although, how are we going get the project finished on time without a blueprint?"

"Don't worry--I already made a new blueprint for the bridge." the expert stonecutter smiled as he revealed a new blueprint. "These three are more than welcome to help out, even if its just motivating the crew."

[Come on!] Tarina called to the other Pokemon. [Let's get to work building the bridge!]

---------

The sound of a bansi playing a festive melody in time to a frame drum and the group working rang across the site. Everybody, everybody, come out here! Tarina sang to rally the Machokes and Machamps. Everybody, everybody, come follow me!

Everybody, everybody, come out here!
    Everybody, everybody, come follow me!

Their eyes have met, and a battle has begun! Tarina sang as she handed off five small stones to a Machoke.
    Two teams of Pokemon fight here today!
    They fight intensely! They fight intensely!
    I don't know which one's gonna win!
    At this line, Diddy heated up another block of stone.

A brave trainer, a cap upon his head... Tarina kept singing as she delivered another block to a Machoke to put in place.
    He tells the Pokemon to move away!
    They move so smoothly! They move so smoothly!
    One will live to fight another day!

Even if I never saw them fight before,
    I believe the trainer with the hat will win!
    Tarina winked at Ash as she received more blocks from Gaia.
    He keeps his wits about him, and when it's over he will win a badge! Oh, yeah yeah!

She romped to the overlook where Ash and Brock were performing from, exhorting the others to keep working. Glitter glitter, glitter in the sunshine now!
    It will shine down on us forever!

Glitter glitter, glitter in the sunshine now!
    We will be shining as we dance through it all!

---------

Later that evening, the group met the expert stonecutter and Isis at the top of a hill. "Thank you all for your hard work!" Isis smiled as she admired the now completed bridge. "Your Pichu's little song really inspired the crew. They finished the bridge before nightfall!"

"As thanks for all you've done today, take these." the stonecutter offered the group some red headbands. "They're a gift from me."

He knelt down to Tarina's eye level. "And thank you, little one, for that enthusiastic ondo. You and your master have real talent."

[Care to show off some kung fu, Brock?] Tails grinned as Brock tied on his own headband.

"I do in fact, know some kung fu..." Brock replied. "Catching Raikou By the Tail!" he announced as he jump kicked the air. "Three Beasts Guard the Road!" He shielded Tarina and the Pokemon from an imagined attack.

"Have you taken lessons, Mr. Kung Fu Master?" Dawn smiled as Brock continued showing off moves.

"Yeah--I'm up to blue belt." Brock replied between showing off some kicks. "That's when my dojo teaches you archery martial arts."

"Cool!" Ash smiled as Brock continued showing off what moves he knew against the setting sun...

To Be Continued...
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 46: Luxray Vision!

"Helping to build that bridge was so fun!" Dawn smiled. "Was that song Tarina sang something she learned, or did she make it up?"

[I made it up myself.] Tarina replied as the group rounded a corner. In the distance, Ash could see a courtyard belonging to a majestic mansion.

What the group did not expect was a flash of light! "Gah! Bright!" Ash yelped as he rushed to shield his eyes from the light.

He spotted a blue haired girl in an outfit resembling a blue, black and yellow lion Pokemon on the mansion's roof. The lion Pokemon jumped down before the group, spurring the girl to call "Wait, Shine! Not yet!"

[Come on, Tarina!] Tintri called as he motioned for Tarina to follow him. [This way!]

[Yipe!] Tarina jumped to avoid the lion Pokemon's claws as she followed Tintri into a bush. [Why are they treating us like bad guys? We're not bad guys!]

[Try telling that to Electro-lion there!] Tintri yelped. The lion Pokemon approached the bush, intent on capturing the frightened mice Pokemon.

Dawn decided to read up on the lion Pokemon as it and Tintri stared each other down:

"Luxray, the gleam eyes Pokemon. It has eyes that can see through anything. It spots and captures prey hiding behind objects."

"That explains how it found Tintri and Tarina..." she mused as she pocketed her Pokedex.

"Shine, please!" the teal haired girl begged as the Luxray fired off an Iron Tail. "Wait!"

Ash winced as both Tintri's and the Luxray's tails clashed with a loud CLANG! "We're not bad guys, honest! So why are you treating us like bad guys?"

"You three don't look like criminals in the least." the mansion's owner smiled as he came into the courtyard. "You all did a fine job in the Hearthome Theater's production of 'Robin Hood', I might add."

"Thanks..." Dawn replied. "It was fun playing Maid Marian."

"If you don't mind my asking, is there a reason for the extra security, sir?" Brock asked.

"Matthew, please." the man smiled.

He watched as Brock whistled for Tarina. "I increased security because a band of three crooks, threatened to steal an old charm of mine. When I asked the Officer Jenny from Mahogany Town for help, Marble, Shine's owner, went in her place."

"Oh, so the Luxray's name is Shine, huh?" Ash mused as Shine and Tintri stared each other down. "If you don't mind, we can help you keep an eye out for these crooks!"

"Sure!" Marble smiled. "I'll make sure you're paid for your time, if you need some pocket money for your travels."

---------

"Here..." Matthew made a grand gesture to a large vault at the end of a tunnel. "This is where I keep my treasures, including my old charm."

"The note the bandits left said they would try to steal it at eight o'clock tonight." Marble explained. "I've been worried about Shine though. Ever since he evolved from a Luxio, he has been unable to use Electric moves."

"That's weird..."Ash mused.

"One time, when we tried to help Officer Jenny capture a crook, Shine wasn't able to use Charge Beam." Marble went on. "This forced Jenny's Arcanine Ember to stop the crook. It also made Shine quite upset--and he has been hostile ever since."

"Poor Shine..." Dawn sighed.

"This was why I was excited to see your Pikachu and the red mage Pichu." Marble asked. "Maybe they can inspire Shine to use Electric moves again."

"Say the word, and I can give Shine some special training!" Ash smiled.

"Actually, I want to start by calming Shine's anger." Marble suggested.

The group didn't see three female figures approaching the mansion from the tall grass. "This job had better not be a bust..." one grumbled.

"Relax, Kiku--Old Charms go for billions on the black market." another assured her companion. "All we have to do is bypass security, get the Old Charm at the very least, and go."

---------

Brock looked at the clock on his PokeNav. "It's 7:50 PM--all is well."

"What if the bandits only said 8 PM to throw us off?" Dawn worried. "They could be long gone by now!"

"If someone says they'll be there by 8 PM, they should be there by 8 PM, if not a little earlier." Ash assured Dawn.

"Key word being 'a little earlier.' Brock cautioned. "It's possible the crooks managed to mess with the clocks enough to fool us it is earlier than it is. This means Dawn could be right, and it is now 8 PM."

"You're absolutely right, Squinty-eyes!" a female voice taunted as a red haired girl in black and red garb emerged from the grass. "Beauty roll call! Miho!"

"Taki!" a blue haired girl in black and blue garb called as she leaped onto a ledge.

"Kiku!" a blonde haired girl in black and yellow garb called as she leaped behind Brock.

"We are the Bandit Beauties Three!" the girls chorused as they surrounded the group.

"Tintri, shock these super sentai bandits with a Thunderbolt!" Ash called.

He gasped as Shine knocked the thunderbolt away and tried to attack Miho with Iron Tail. In all the confusion, the three beauties dashed away.

"Where did our sentai trio of bandits get to?" Dawn asked when the smoke cleared some moments later.

"Shine deflected the attack and tried to attack himself. That bought the beauties time to get away." Ash explained. "Who knows where they are now?"

[We'll go find them!] Tintri volunteered.

[Stay with me, everyone!] Shine called as he dashed down a corridor.

"They must still be in the area, since the exterior is still being watched." Matthew explained. "There are plenty of traps in the area too. The beauties have been known to hide treasures."

Back with the Pokemon, Shine noticed that Tintri was nearing a pit trap! [Watch out, both of you!]

[WAUUUUUUUGGGHHH!!!] Tintri screeched as he slipped and fill into the pit.

[EEEEEEEEEEEYAAAAAAHHHH!] Tarina went tumbling into the pit seconds later.

"Tintri! Tarina!" Ash called as he approached the pit. "Stay where you are, I'm coming to save you!" he called down into the large hole.

"Wait--I know a better and safer way down there." Matthew suggested as he pulled Ash away from the hole. "Come with me."

---------

[Are you okay, little one?] Shine asked as she and Tintri collected themselves.

[I think so...] Tarina replied as she eased herself to her feet and bushed the dust from her hat. [Wearing a cape has its advantages--makeshift parachute!]

Shine chuckled at this. [That it is--let's begin retracing our steps back to the surface.]

He gasped as the floor opened up beneath him! [WHOA!]

[Shine!] Tintri scrambled to the hole's edge, where Shine was trying to regain his footing above a spike pit.

[Here, Shine! Catch!] Tarina called as she heaved a rope over to Shine.

Once sure Shine had gripped the rope, she started pulling with all her strength...

---------

[Whew...I did it!] Tarina heaved with exhaustion as Shine emerged onto safe ground again.

[Thank you for rescuing me from a painful fate, little one--Tarina, was it?] Shine purred as he nuzzled Tarina.

He looked over at Tintri. [Forgive me for trying to push you away--I realize you were only trying to help...]

[Aw, it's okay.] Tintri smiled. [So, are we a team?]

[I'd say we are...] Tarina wheezed.

[Then let's go--I'm sure your masters are worried sick about you.] With that, Shine led the way down the corridor...

---------

"You know--I love how well you, your Pikachu, and your friend's Pichu work together." Marble smiled as she and the others made their way down another corridor in the network of passages.

"Well, Tintri and Tarina are best friends, so they know how to work together." Ash replied. "You'd never believe it now, but when I first started as a trainer, Tintri and I had a very fragile relationship. He wouldn't listen to me until he protected me from a flock of wild Spearow. Not because I told him to, but because he wanted to."

"Long story." Brock whispered.

"Shine may want to get along with you better if you try to maintain a relationship with him outside of work." Ash went on, oblivious to the three beauties attempting to dig their way out.

---------

[Okay...there is a route in this wall.] Shine reported. [Do you guys want to continue down this way, or take the hidden route.

[The hidden route!" Tintri smiled as he dashed ahead. [Maybe there's more treasure down here!]

[Wait!] Shine called after Tintri. [There's a trap up ahead!]

Tarina felt a click as she hurried after Tintri. [Uh oh...] she gasped as she heard a whoosh of a flurry of darts approaching!

She dove to the ground in an attempt to avoid the darts. She gasped when an arrow came flying down the corridor, deflecting the darts. [You guys! Over here!] she waved as the group arrived in the corridor.

"Tarina!" Brock set his gear aside and hurried to hug Tarina. "Are you okay? You had me worried for a moment when you took a spill down here..."

[I'm fine.] Tarina replied. [Thanks for saving us with the nice shot!]

"Thank Arceus you're okay, bud!" Ash cried as he hugged Tintri.

"Shine, you're okay!" Marble hugged Shine. "Let's find a way out of--!"

A click and a rumble got her attention. "Oh no..."

"The walls are closing in!" Dawn called over the rumbling. "We need to find a switch Brock can hit to stop it from crushing us!"

Shine glanced around the room, aware of Brock preparing another shot. [Aim for this red switch on the north wall!]

The group held their breaths as Brock fired, hitting the switch and forcing the wall trap to reset itself. [Just like in Zelda!] Tarina smiled.

The beauties arrived in the chamber moments later, carrying a chest. "Don't know why this charm's so important, but a job's a job." Kiku muttered.

"We'll take care of these intruders while you make a break for the exit!" Miho instructed Kiku. "Go!"

"Right!" With that, Kiku dashed down another hallway.

"Rubicante, let's go!" Miho summoned a Charmeleon before the group. "Start with Flame Burst!"

"Cagnazzo, Bite the Luxray!" Taki summoned a Wartortle.

[Hah!] Shine first deflected the Wartortle's attack, then knocked the Charmeleon backwards. [I have them stunned, here's your chance!] he called to Tintri.

[Right!] Tintri fired a Thunderbolt, shocking both Pokemon.

Shine seemed to smile as he absorbed some of the stray bolts from Tintri's attack. them both. [Yes...yes! This power I remembered from when I was a Luxio. It's coming back to me!]

"Shine, try Charge Beam!" Marble called.

[RAAAAAAUGHH!!!!!] Shine then fired a sparking yellow beam. The attack paralyzed the Charmeleon and Wartortle and sent the box with the old charm flying.

Dawn caught the box with the charm. "I have the old charm, so give the beauties the shock of their lives!"

[YAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!] Tintri, Tarina, and Shine cried as they created a white thunderbolt. The force of the massive bolt was so strong, it sent the beauties flying...

---------

"I can't even begin to thank you all for recovering my old charm." Matthew smiled as the three beauties were arrested and led away.

"Marble, why did you break protocol and come here without getting permission?" Jenny asked Marble.

Marble sighed. "I'm sorry...I didn't intend to break protocol, but this case sounded urgent."

Jenny's stern expression softened. "Well...I will only let you off with a warning this time. No matter how urgent the call is, you need to get approval before working a case.

She smiled. "I will commend you for developing a bond with Shine, at least."

Matthew watched as Officer Jenny, Marble, and Shine departed. "And thank you, travelers, for helping out. The least I can do is give you a place to stay for the night."

"We would appreciate that." Dawn smiled.

A guitar chord got her attention. "You actually wrote a song about what happened today?" she asked as Brock finished fine tuning.

"Yeah--its working title for the time being is 'Thunder in the Underground'." Brock replied before starting a brisk introduction...

To Be Continued...
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 47a: Journey to the Unown (part 1)

"Okay, Lola--let's try Focus Million Fist next." Dawn explained to her Buneary. "Remember how that goes?"

[Of course!] Lola squeaked. [Use Focus Punch as fast as you can to make it look like you have a million fists!]

She focused her power, making both her tiny fists glow a light blue. [HAI-yayayayayayayayayayayayayayaya!!!!!]

Dawn applauded the flurry of shining fists. "Very good!"

Some applause got her attention. "Not bad, Dee Dee! In fact, I read somewhere Buneary can learn that move via breeding."

Dawn whirled around to find Barry approaching the hill. "Care to explain how Lola knows it even though I caught her in the wild?"

"She once had an owner?" Barry mused.

"What's with the whole 'Dee Dee' routine?" Ash wondered. "Every time we've met Barry so far, he tends to call you that, even though you don't like it. Do you feel comfortable telling me why?"

Dawn sighed. "Not really--I'd prefer you not go there."

"All right, I will respect your wish." Ash replied.

He then addressed Barry. "So, what about that battle we never finished?"

"Love to, but not right now." Barry replied. "I was going to see Dialga and Palkia." He made a grand gesture to what looked like the ruins of a temple in the distance. "But if you wanna battle, we can do it in front of the Dialga and Palkia statues."

Ash looked over at the massive statues looming over the entrance. "It sounds a little creepy, but part of me also thinks it'd be kinda cool!"

He watched as Brock drew a Poke Ball in the grass. "Which side of the Poke Ball do you want?"

"Don't care." Barry replied.

Ash was about to protest when Dawn arrived with her Poketch. "I got a Coin Flipper app in the latest auto-update, so why don't we flip a coin to determine who gets what side?"

She showed the boys the coin on the screen. "Arceus face is heads...Shinou League crest is tails. Call the toss, and whoever gets it right gets the Diamond side."

"That's fair." Barry smiled. "Tails."

"Heads!" Ash called as Dawn hit the button to flip the coin.

Dawn looked at the results of the flip. "It's heads...Ash gets the Diamond side."

The group didn't see Mars, Jupiter, and a third admin with pointy blue hair going inside the ruins.

---------

"Diddy, here we go!" Ash summoned his Chimchar as Brock's whistle blew.

"Aster, here we go!" Barry called, summoning a Roserade onto the Pearl side.

Dawn grinned. "I bet Barry sent out a Roserade to focus more on showing off moves than attacking."

"Diddy, start with a Tackle!" Ash called.

Barry gasped as Diddy rammed into his Roserade. "Wow! That was quick!

"Diddy, use a Flame Wheel before it gets up!" came Ash's next command.

"Aster, counter with Magical Leaf!" Barry shot back.

[AUGGGHHH!!!] Diddy yelped as the shining leaves surrounded him.

"Focus, Diddy! Try to Bite the Roserade!" Ash called.

"Aster, try Energy Ball!" Barry called.

Dawn gasped in awe as Barry's Roserade started to charge a yellow-green ball of energy. "That's beautiful!"

Ash braced himself from the force of the Energy Ball's explosion. "Wow...that was cool!" he gasped. "Even though it did a number on Diddy..."

"That was Energy Ball." Barry explained. "Not just Grass types can learn it. It's possible for your friend's Vulpix to learn it, and some exotic Fairy types too."

"Can Diddy learn something like it?" Ash asked as he tended to Diddy.

Barry thought for a moment. "A similar cool looking move for a Fire type would be the move Heat Wave. It's typically seen on Legendaries, but some other Fire Pokemon can learn it on their own.

He smiled. "It'll be tough, but I'll teach it to Diddy if you can beat me."

"It's a deal!" Ash smiled.

---------

Meanwhile, the three Galactic admins watched as the Unown inscriptions in a large open room became real Unown. "Mars, Jupiter...Cyrus salutes you for your dedication in pursuing those clever trainers." the third admin began. " You've still managed to give the team some valuable information we could use in creating our new world."

"Thanks, Saturn." Mars replied as a box emerged from the ground. "Those trainers have proved themselves more clever than we anticipated..."

"Be the most wary around the tall one that sings!" Jupiter agreed. "His happy go lucky exterior belies a skilled archer, and he has magical power too!"

"Point duly noted." Saturn smiled as he reached for the box.

He gasped as the Unown started firing beams of rainbow light at him! "Ara, use Confuse Ray!"

Jupiter shielded her eyes from the bright orange flash. "We need to go, now!"

---------

"What in the world?" Dawn gasped as she felt the stairs start to float.

She gasped when she saw the ruin glowing an ominous red. "What's going on?"

[Help!] Kori called as she scrambled to hang onto the stairs.

Lola hurried to help Kori. [I have you, don't let go!] she assured Kori as she grabbed Kori's right fin.

Neither Pokemon expected to slip and tumble down the steps. "Hang on, I'm coming!" Dawn called before jumping down after her falling Piplup and Buneary.

"I have a bad feeling about this..." Barry mused as the ruins were engulfed with red energy.

"Why are you so scared?" Ash wondered.

"I think the correct question is how you and Brock are NOT scared!!!" Barry cried. "For all I know, it's the end of the world!"

"If the trainer is scared, think about how the Pokémon feel." Ash replied as Brock rubbed Barry's shoulders in an attempt to calm him.

Barry took a deep breath to calm his jangled nerves. "You have a point, there. You need to be a leader to your team, and they need to know you will keep them safe."

"Exactly." Brock smiled as he retrieved the Explorer's Kit from his bag. "Even though you're freaked out, you need to at least look like you're calm to the Pokemon."

He unzipped the main pocket of the Explorer's Kit. "Now, let's go find Dawn."

---------

In the ruins, Dawn spotted Kori and Lola untangling themselves in a room that split into a three way fork. "There you are! Are you guys okay?"

[I think so...] Kori groaned as she got up. [Even though I don't know where we are...]

I know the way. a female voice echoed in Dawn's head.

"Who's there?" Dawn gasped. "Friend, or foe?"

A white humanoid Pokemon materialized before Dawn. I'm a friend--I can help you three get out of here. it telepathically explained.

Piqued, Dawn looked up the Pokemon on her Pokedex:

"Ralts, the feeling Pokemon. It is highly attuned to the emotions of people and Pokémon. It hides if it senses hostility."

"Okay, Miss Ralts, lead the way." Dawn replied as she pocketed her Pokedex.

This way. The Ralts then hovered down the right corridor.

---------

[I wonder what ancient people built this place...] Lola mused. She and Kori gawked for a moment at the Unown inscriptions and drawings on the walls.

Dawn was about to answer when she saw a large band-like ring with wave designs surrounding a diamond. "Hm...a ring. What happens if I try to wear it?"

The diamond in the center of the ring glowed, and a female voice singing Leishu shun ji, lei si... echoed in Dawn's mind. "What was that? You?" she asked the Ralts.

No...that was the essence of the Mega Ring. the Ralts explained. Its former owner gave it up, and it made its way into these ruins.

"Okay, I'll memorize this gobbledygook in case it's important later." Dawn mused before repeating the odd words to herself. "Leishu shun ji, lei si..."

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 47b: Journey to the Unown (part 2)

Previously, on "Pokemon Shine Diamond"...

Dawn was about to answer when she saw a large band-like ring with wave designs surrounding a diamond. "Hm...a ring. What happens if I try to wear it?"

The diamond in the center of the ring glowed, and a female voice singing Leishu shun ji, lei si... echoed in Dawn's mind. "What was that? You?" she asked the Ralts.

No...that was the essence of the Mega Ring. the Ralts explained. Its former owner gave it up, and it made its way into these ruins.

"Okay, I'll memorize this gobbledygook in case it's important later." Dawn mused before repeating the odd words to herself. "Leishu shun ji, lei si..."

"There's so many of them!" Ash called as he did his best to swat away the confused Unowns that swooped at him in every direction. "What did we ever do to them?"

"Nothing!" Brock replied. "Someone or something must've confused them!"

[Take THIS, alphabet rejects!] Tintri taunted as he fired a Thunderbolt.

[HAH!!] Diddy also fired an Ember.

Ash watched as Aster and Flora attacked, snapping the Unown out of confusion. "It worked!" he smiled as the swirling rainbows around the group dissipated.

"Let's go find Dawn!" Brock lead the way down a tunnel.

---------

"Gah!" Dawn gasped as she raced down a hallway, some confused Unowns not far behind her. "They keep coming and coming!"

She gasped as more swarms of Unowns flew in to block every possible exit. Even though she shook and her heart was pounding, an idea gave her a sense of calm. Maybe, if I tried singing that song I heard before...

She held her hand to the sky. Leishu shun ji, lei si...

Kori began to glow with an electric blue aura as she unleashed a shining Whirlpool. "Wow! it boosted Kori!" Dawn smiled.

Not quite... the Ralts cautioned. Your Piplup can't Mega Evolve. If you were to sing your Heart Song, the best you could do is boost one move.

Dawn looked over at the Unowns swirling in the shining Whirlpool. "That explains the aura..."

"OOF!!!" the three admins gasped as they came crashing down from a nearby flight of stairs. "Rough landing..." Mars muttered as she dusted herself off.

The Ralts spotted another swarm on Unown approaching from behind. [HAAAAAH!!!] she screeched as she unleashed a psychic sound wave.

Ash and the others arrived some moments later. "That's a Ralts!" Ash gasped, recognizing the white humanoid Pokemon with Dawn.

Leishu shun ji, lei si... the Ralts sang, snapping the Unowns out of confusion.

Dawn realized she, her team, and the admins were actually on the ceiling as the illusion was dispelled. "AUGH!!!"

"I gotcha!" Ash hurried to catch Dawn, but ended up catching Kori instead.

Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo... Brock's voice echoed through the ruins. A bright green light lit up the hallway as Argent became Mega Steelix.

"Thanks for the rescue, big guy!" Dawn smiled as Argent set her down on safe ground.

[Anytime.] Argent purred as he went to help the admins down.

Ash noticed the Ralts with Dawn. "So...congrats on your new Ralts."

"But, I didn't--!" Dawn started to protest.

Whatever you did or did not do is none of my concern. the Ralts explained. I choose to come with you by my own choice. No more, and no less.

Dawn watched as a door leading outside rumbled open. "Okay--welcome to the team, Miss Ralts."

---------

"Ralts, the feeling Pokemon. It is highly attuned to the emotions of people and Pokemon. It hides if it senses hostility." Ash's Pokedex explained. as Dawn and the Ralts were nearby, practicing appeals with a Psychic blast.

"So what did you name this Ralts?" he asked as he pocketed the Pokedex. "May named hers Zelda."

"A fitting name, considering her digital namesake has visions in her dreams." Dawn smiled. "I named mine Satomi. She may be the newcomer, but I think she can win me the Solaceon Contest."

"It's gonna be strange not having a Fantasy Stage to compete in alongside Dawn. but that means I can finally see what's going on when I'm performing." Brock mused.

Ash spotted Barry departing. "What about our battle?"

"You did well enough that I'll teach Diddy Heat Wave." Barry smiled. "Just don't tell Dawn how scared I was."

"Trainer's honor!" Ash smiled, making a three fingered scout sign for effect...

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 48: Team Shocker!

"Bye, Dawn!" Barry smiled as he prepared to leave Solaceon Town a few days later. "See you next Contest!"

Dawn did her best to fight back tears as she trudged down the road. "I...don't think I will attend the next one."

"What???" Barry gasped before his shocked expression turned angry. "Listen, Dawn--ever since I've known you, you've always said your dream was to equal your mom, or even surpass her. And you're going to quit? You're going to send that dream down the drain?"

He grimaced before continuing "Look--I'm not going to let you quit coordinating! Sure, it hurts to rack up a string of losses, but I believe you can surpass your mom, or maybe even be a Grand Coordinator!"

He grinned at Ash. "Keep working on Heat Wave, okay?"

"I will." Ash replied before spotting Dawn running off to the Pokemon Center. "Hey, Dawn!" he called before running after his companion.

"Let her go--all the close calls and chokes must've taken a blow to her morale." Brock assured Ash. "When she's ready to talk, she'll tell you. For now, give her her space."

---------

Oh, Dawn... Satomi began as she warped by her crying master. I did everything you told me to do...

"It was nothing you did or did not do." Dawn replied between sobs. "I've been overmatched in every contest! I mean, I know Mom didn't get to where she was overnight..."

And I'm sure she faced her share of struggles and troubles to reach where she is today. Satomi explained.

"But how can I bounce back from choking when it matters most?" Dawn asked as she wiped away more tears. "First the Alamos Contest, and now this!"

She looked down at the orange ribbon pinned to her bag. "Mom...I wish I could talk to you now..."

Well, as much as it hurts to lose, we can't progress if we continue the pity party. Satomi explained. Have you noticed how Ash seems to just bounce back from losing a Gym match?

"Yeah..." A smile formed on Dawn's face. "How does he do that?"

A loss may hurt in the heat of the moment. But Ash goes back and evaluates what went wrong, so he can do better the next time. Satomi explained. So let's go back and look at what happened today, see what went wrong, and how we can do better next time.

"But how?" Dawn asked.

[i]I'm going to conjure a time loop of the day before and earlier today. This way, you can see the Contest from a neutral perspective.[i] Satomi began. As you watch, notice how your decisions and others' decisions got us to this point.

With that, she formed a flash of light in the room, which counted down like a movie scene. "Oh, this is from yesterday!" Dawn remembered when the loop began.

On the "screen", Ash was attempting to train Diddy to use Heat Wave, while Barry looked on. "Diddy, use Heat Wave!" the Ash on the "screen" called.

"WHOA!!!" the Barry on the screen yelped as the wave of flames backfired, sending Diddy flying. "You have the formation down--we need to work on concentrating."

The Ash on the "screen" smiled at Diddy. "You're doing great so far--let's keep at this until you get it to form right."

"Wait, what was I doing at that time?" Dawn asked.

The "screen" panned over to another outdoor arena. You were going over Magical Leaf with me. Satomi explained. Her self on the screen unleashed a dazzling flowery rainbow, much to the Dawn on the "screen"s delight.

Some applause started the Dawn on the "screen" as Brock stepped into the scene. "That was cool!" he raved as the Dawn "onscreen" passed out Poffins for her four Pokemon.

"Thanks." Dawn heard her self on the "screen" say. "After I came up short in the Alamos Town Contest, I'm gonna stick to a single Pokemon unless you have to use two."

"That's a good idea." the Brock on the "screen" smiled. "Remember to vary your moves with each appeal so you don't bore the judges and the audience."

Pay attention to what Brock said next, and how you reacted to his statement. Satomi told Dawn.

"Eventually, Satomi will be able to Mega Evolve." the Brock on the screen went on.

Dawn watched as her self on the screen gained starry eyes. "That's right...I imagined you as a Mega Gardevoir creating appeals no one has ever seen before."

If you stop now, you wouldn't be able to see that any more. Satomi replied.

"But what about Marta?" Dawn asked. "I think that was another reason why I lost..."

Let's move on to the Contest itself, to the Appeal Competition. Satomi's time loop fast forwarded a little. You did very well in the previous competitions, so we will focus on what we did in the Appeal.

Dawn watched as her self in a cyan costume told Satomi to use Magical Leaf. Marta and Leona did so well because she used the strategy of chaining moves into combos. She also timed the combo to max out the excitement meter.

"Okay..." Dawn sighed as she watched one of the two times Leona excited the crowd with a Hone Claws and Shadow Claw combo. "So if I do continue, I should look into combos and keeping an eye on the excitement meter.

She sighed. "Thanks, Satomi--I feel a little better, but I still feel conflicted about what to do."

The fiddle case on a bench gave her an idea. Of course! Playing music helped calm me down when I was having a bad day, so let's see if it'll help here!

With that, she started a slow and quiet melody that evoked her conflicted emotions.  The song appeared to convey both the sadness of losing; and the yearning and hope for the future. Satomi hovered nearby, watching the red-brown bow glide over the strings.

Dawn did not expect a whistle to trill over her last G note, followed by a few expectant G chords from a guitar. "Got room for a few more?" Brock asked as he and Ash arrived.

"Well, I guess..." A week smile formed on Dawn's face. "I wasn't expecting you guys to join me after what happened earlier."

"Remember the promise we made when we set out?" Ash began as he found a chair to sit in. "We promised we would stick together, no matter what."

"If you ever want to talk, we're here." Brock agreed. "Of course, any accomplishment you make, we'll celebrate with you too."

"Thanks, you guys..." Dawn smiled. "Maybe now I feel like jamming..."

"Okay if I start it?" Brock asked as he checked his tuning.

Dawn nodded, so Brock snapped to count off his companions into a rousing set that echoed out into the night...

---------

A knock at the door the next morning jolted Dawn from her sleep. "Hey, Dawn, you up?" she heard Zoey's voice say.

"What the...Zoey, what are you doing here?" Dawn asked as she got dressed.

After letting Zoey inside, the boys and Dawn noticed that Zoey was carrying a beautiful basket filled with chocolates, cookies, and other treats. "I heard about your crushing defeat yesterday. The other coordinators and I clubbed together to get you something to cheer you up."

"Really?" Dawn smiled. "Thank you...but, why did you not compete yesterday?"

"I passed on the Solaceon Contest after my loss in Hearthome because I wanted the chance to recharge. This way, I could focus on what was important, and get ready for the next challenge." Zoey explained. "At the end of the day, ribbons aren't that important."

She smiled. "And we all believe we will see you at the Grand Festival."

"I see..." Dawn mused. "After I lost yesterday, I wanted to give up. But after Satomi gave me some wise advice, and knowing all you are behind me, I'm not going to give up."

She explained. "I learned that I need to take the time to plan a strategy instead of rushing into the fray."

"That's the spirit!" Ash smiled.

"So I'm going to turn this defeat into a chance to learn." Dawn smiled. "Tell everyone I said thanks for the gift!"

"Anytime!" Zoey grinned. "So, where are you guys headed?"

"Our next stop is Veilstone City." Ash explained as the group turned to leave. "There, I hope to compete for my next Gym Badge!"

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups

Episode 49: Hot Springing a Leak!

"You're sure you want to continue competing in Contests?" Ash asked as the group continued down the road a few days later. "If you ever want to look into battling or storytelling, we can teach you."

"It's okay..." Dawn assured her companion. "I've had a few days to think about what Satomi and Zoey told me, and I think Contests is where I want to be."

"Okay..." Ash replied before telling Diddy "Let's see you try Heat Wave!"

[HAAAAAAH!] Diddy cried as he charged the fiery wave and launched it into the sky.

Ash was surprisingly calm as the wave dissipated some moments later. "We got it to form and launch that time--that's progress."

[But when can we get to the point where it stays formed?] Diddy sighed. [No matter how hard I try, it dissipates before it gets to the target!]

"You're getting very close." Ash assured his frustrated Chimchar. "Heat Wave is a powerful move, but I think we need a little more work on focus. So this time, try to picture what the full wave looks like. Picture it flying to your target."

[Got it!] Diddy smiled, now in a good mood again.

"I hate to interrupt the training session, but you may want to hold off until we get to the next town." Brock interjected, prompting Diddy to stay his next attempt. "If we don't hurry, it'll be too dark to travel, and we'll have to camp out in the open."

"Not that I mind camping in the open, but I'd much rather stay in an inn or Pokemon Center." Dawn smiled.

"Yeah--I've been wanting to try some of that body wash in Zoey's gift basket." Ash agreed. "Oran Ginger sounds nice..."

"Well, she tried to pick scents that would be appealing for both me and you guys." Dawn replied. "So nothing overly flowery or smelly..."

"The sooner we get to a Pokemon Center, the sooner we can hit the showers!" Ash grinned.

"I'm afraid hitting the showers is gonna have to wait..." Brock sighed as he thumbed through the guidebook. "There is no Pokemon Center in the next town."

"Maybe not..." Dawn suggested. "We can go to an onsen close to here, that a good friend of mine and her family runs. Even the Pokemon can enjoy a hot bath."

"Lead the way, then." Brock smiled, allowing Dawn to walk out in front.

---------

"....round the corner, and we're here!" Dawn smiled as the group approached a large building with a variety of springs around it.

She noticed an auburn haired girl setting out some etiquette guides by the entrance. "Leona!"

"Dee-Dee, hi!" the girl smiled, making Dawn bristle.

"I'll let that go for now, because I know you meant well." Dawn mused as she embraced her friend. "These two are travelers from Kanto who are supporting me in my Contest journey--Ash, a master trainer..."

"Hi!" Ash waved.

"...and Brock, our navigator and loremaster extraordinaire." Dawn went on.

"Pleased to meet you." Brock smiled.

"You guys, this is Leona--we've been good friends since we were very little." Dawn explained as the auburn haired girl waved hello.

"I wanted you to win the Solaceon Contest." Leona began. "You did great with the Visual and the Dance competition. But that Marta person clobbered you in the Appeal competition."

"Don't remind me..." Dawn muttered before changing the subject. "How are things at Itsuyado?"

"Unusually slow for this time of year." Leona explained. "If you feel the water, you'll know why."

Tarina bounded off Brock's shoulder and batted at the water, only to rear back in surprise. [Yeesh, it's cold!]

Ash winced as he dipped a finger in the water. "That is weird...why aren't the hot springs hot?"

"See, a week ago, the spring stopped receiving water." Leona explained. "Since the spring is fed from a pipeline leading down from the mountain, Mom and Dad decided to hike up and inspect it. If the situation doesn't change soon, Itsuyado will have to close."

She shepherded a small brown pig-like Pokemon to her side. "Luckily, I have Tundra here to help me find another spring."

Dawn decided to read up on the small pig-like Pokemon sniffing in the grass:

"Swinub, the pig Pokemon. It has a very sensitive nose. It can locate mushrooms, berries, and even hot springs buried under ice.

Dawn smiled as she pocketed her Pokedex. "Hey, Leona, remember the time we stood up to Andre, the tough kid?"

"Yeah..." Leona mused. "Not only was he teasing the other kids and making them cry, he claimed the Mankey bars all to himself! I will never forget the look on his face when you said we'd both tell the teacher!"

"Why don't we channel some of that teamwork to find the hot spring?" Dawn offered.

"Okay!" Leona smiled. "Tundra, lead the way!" she called to her Swinub.

"We're coming too!" Ash and Brock were not far behind.

---------

Elsewhere, Jupiter smiled as she admired a large and majestic building taking shape. "This is it...the Ginga Onsen! With five different springs, and a private bath for Lord Cyrus!"

"He can bathe in it all he likes when the new world comes." Mars agreed as she set aside a blueprint and some tools. "The grunts are gonna love it, too!"

She looked over to find the group approaching. "Can't you read?" she grumbled before gesturing to the construction sign. "This place is still under construction!"

"Under construction? Then why have my family's springs gone cold?" Leona demanded.

"Listen up, girlie--we dug the hot spring by hand, so there's no way we'd be stealing your water." Mars shot back.

Piqued, Leona knelt down by one of the springs and sniffed the water. "Hey...this water is exactly the same as ours! You have so been diverting the hot spring water to use as your own!"

"Oh yeah, where's the proof of ownership?" Jupiter snapped. "Water's a public resource, you know."

Leona was about to retort back when Brock motioned for her to listen. "A theory on my part. If the Galactic admins tapped into the same water source that your family does, it wouldn't matter whose water it was. It would be the admins' water by right."

Just as the group turned to leave, Leona spotted a small blue humanoid Pokemon crawling from the pipe. "Dewdrop?"

"Oh yeah--Dewdrop is your mom's Wooper, right?" Dawn remembered as Ash read up on the small amorphous Pokemon:

"Wooper, the water fish Pokemon. When walking on land, it covers its body with a poisonous film that keeps its skin from dehydrating."

"If Dewdrop's here, then Mom and Dad must be here too!" Leona gasped.

She spotted a man and a woman with similar features to her approaching the group. "Mom! Dad! Dewdrop's here!"

"Good work, sweetie pie." the man smiled as he hugged Leona. "I see you enlisted some friends to help us solve this mystery..."

"Did you guys find anything?" Leona asked.

"Well, when we checked the pipeline, we found another pipe attached to ours, diverting water away from the hot spring." Leona's mother explained. "I sent Dewdrop along the line to see where it went, and it came out here."

"That means the admins DID steal the hot spring!" Ash confidently declared.

[Any last words?] Tintri smirked as he charged a Thunderbolt.

"Yeah...hope you brought your bathing suits and swim trunks, cause you're getting wet!" With that, Mars pressed a button, summoning a spider-like mecha!

"Oh no..." was all Dawn could say before the group went flying back from the force of the water jets.

Brock coughed up some water before asking "Everyone okay?"

"I think so..." Ash sputtered. "Okay, Tintri, new plan! Use Iron Tail!"

[HIIIIIIIIIIII-YAAAAAAAA!!!!] Tarina was not far behind Tintri, but a wet spot sent her tumbling down a hill into a puddle. [Brock, I'm sorry...]

Dawn watched as Brock carried Tarina to safety minutes before the mecha fired another water blast. Say...maybe if we froze the water somehow, or overheated it...

"Leona, tell Tundra to dig a hole under that machine!" she called. "I have an idea!"

"Okay!" Leona called back. "You heard Dawn, Tundra--go dig the biggest hole you can!"

The rapidly growing hole caused the mecha to tumble, spilling hot water all over itself. "Okay, Lola! Use Ice Beam to cool the hot machine!"

"Here!" Brock hurried over with an arrow, and dipped the head into the cold blast.

"I see--ice on an already frozen target does double the damage!" Leona smiled as she watched Brock take aim at the now frozen mecha.

The group held their breaths as Brock fired the sparkling blue arrow. An explosion and the admins' screams confirmed that he had hit! [Great shot!] Tarina smiled as Dawn and Leona celebrated.

"Now that we have the admins out of the way, the next step is getting all this water back where it belongs." Brock smiled as he went to assist with the pipes...

---------

"Woo-hoo!" Ash cried as he dove in the hot water some hours later. "This is WAY better than a shower!"

[I'll say...] Tintri smiled as Tarina drifted past him, her hat and cloak in a neat pile on the grass with the others' clothing.

"I can't thank you enough for saving the onsen." Leona smiled as she emerged on the patio overlooking the main spring. "As thanks for your help, your stay is free."

"Aw, it was nothin'!" Ash smiled.

Dawn looked over at Brock with a grin. "Fancy showing off your material at all?"

"Sure!" Brock smiled.

Excited, the Pokemon paddled over to edge of the spring, near the chair Brock was relaxing on. "Once the great warrior-miko Kanade was traveling along the coast when she encountered a funeral procession." Brock began. "It turned out the priest of a nearby village had died, and the elder asked Kanade if she could serve in the village until a new priest was sent from the Aiiro City...."

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 50a: Lost Leader Strategy (part 1)

"There it is!" Ash pointed out the spires of skyscrapers towering over the mountains in the distance. "Veilstone City!"

"Maybe a little shopping would get my mind off of Contests for a little while." Dawn mused. "Hope you guys brought your wallets!"

"So long as you don't make us carry a million packages, shop all you want." Brock smiled.

Just then, a blue orb of energy zoomed past the group. "Hit the dirt!" Brock called as the group dove to dodge another one of the orbs.

"They're all coming from the same place..." Dawn noticed as another orb whizzed over her head. "What are they?"

"Aura Spheres!" Ash remembered. "Where there's Aura Spheres, a Riolu or Lucario is close by."

"Clear!" Brock called, signaling it was safe for the group to get up.

[Come on, everyone! Let's go see where this Lucario is!] Tintri called as he hurried down the road to the outskirts of the city.

---------

As the group rounded a corner, they noticed a fenced off field. "Looks like something attacked the fence..." Brock noticed as he spotted a large hole in part of the fence.

"Let's use it as a lookout point." Dawn suggested as she found some rocks for her and Ash to stand on so they could see. Brock, being taller than his companions, could easily see over the fence.

Once everyone was in position, Ash smiled as he watched a pink-haired woman in training clothes nimbly leap away from a blue and black wolf Pokemon. "That must be the Lucario and its master." he smiled as he read up on the majestic Pokemon:

"Lucario, the aura Pokemon. By reading the auras of all things, it can tell how others are feeling from over half a mile away.

"Nice." Dawn smiled. "You said before you guys had an adventure with a Lucario before?"

"Ooh, I still need to play you my song cycle about that..." Brock remembered. He watched the young woman leap, twirl, and dance away from the various sized Aura Spheres.

"Whoa!" Ash gasped as the woman kicked an Aura Sphere back to her Lucario, who gracefully dodged the attack.

"Basically, all aura is is concentrated ki, the spirit or life energy in all things." Brock explained. "Being able to channel aura is one explanation for magical powers."

"So a fireball spell is balls of fire aura?" Dawn asked as the woman braced herself.

"Something like that." Brock replied. "An Aura Sphere is a ball of pure aura energy--and the Lucario family is famous for this move." He let that hang as the Lucario prepared a Bone Rush. The woman seemed to know her companion's next attack, and somersaulted away from the bones.

"This can't be training." Dawn mused as the battle raged on. "This is much too intense for training."

Suddenly, a Thunderbolt exploded near the fence! [Whoa!] Kori yelped as she went flying onto the field.

[Kori!] Tintri hurried to assess the dazed Piplup on the ground. [You okay?]

[Well, well well, who have we here?] a familiar voice snickered.

Tintri whirled around and gasped at a familiar Electabuzz. [Surge? Is that you?]

[Yeah, it's me.] the Electabuzz replied. [Fancy seeing you here, Weak-achu.]

[You take that back!] Kori snapped as she ran and headbutted Surge. But her strength was not enough to move the massive striped feline Pokemon.

The Lucario suddenly noticed Kori flying back, followed by Tintri sparking angrily. [Should we intervene, Maylene?] she asked.

"Go ahead, Kiiroha--this could get bad." the woman replied.

[Stop this!] the Lucario demanded, sending an Aura Sphere into the impending battle.

The woman approached Ash. "I didn't mean to hurt your Pikachu--I just wanted to step in and prevent him from getting into a scuffle he likely couldn't win."

"It's okay--Tintri was trying to help my friend's Piplup." Ash explained.

Just then, a boy with neatly slicked back lavender hair arrived. "Maylene, is everything okay?" he asked as he reigned in the Electabuzz.

"Yes, Reggie--Surge was trying to stir up trouble." Maylene replied.

The Electabuzz's name snapped Ash to attention. "Wait, Surge evolved? Is Paul here?"

Reggie nodded. "Yes. Paul is my little brother, and Surge is one of his best fighters."

[I knew it!] Tintri gasped.

Reggie, meanwhile, studied Tintri for a moment. "Your Pikachu's been through a lot--not only did he get Disarming Voice, he also knows Volt Tackle."

"H-how do you know that?" Ash gasped in amazement.

"As a Pokemon breeder, you develop a knack for it." Reggie replied. "Paul will sometimes leave some of his Pokémon with me."

He looked Ash over for a moment. "You must be the 'Wonder Boy' he keeps referring to..."

"That's me." Ash replied. "I'm Ash, and you've met my partner Tintri."

Once sure Tintri was on his shoulder again, he introduced his companions. "These two are Dawn, an aspiring Coordinator..."

"Hi." Dawn smiled.

"...and Brock, our navigator and aspiring Loremaster." Ash went on.

"Nice to meet you." Brock smiled as he and Reggie shook hands.

"So is Maylene able to take challenges now?" Ash asked. "Has Paul has already won a Badge here?"

"Yes--he handily defeated Maylene." Reggie replied, prompting Maylene to sigh.

"I'm...not taking challenges now." she softly replied.

[What?] the Lucario gasped. [You're starting this again? I know you are stronger than this! The Maylene I know would never give up!]

"See, Maylene took her loss to Paul hard, and so her Lucario Kiiroha is simply trying to encourage her." Reggie explained.

Dawn watched as Kiiroha continued "speaking" to Maylene. I see...she's in the same boat as I am!

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 50b: Lost Leader Strategy (part 2)

Previously, on "Pokemon Shine Diamond..."

"So is Maylene able to take challenges now?" Ash asked. "Has Paul has already won a Badge here?"

"Yes--he handily defeated Maylene." Reggie replied, prompting Maylene to sigh.

"I'm...not taking challenges now." she softly replied.

[What?] the Lucario gasped. [You're starting this again? I know you are stronger than this! The Maylene I know would never give up!]

"See, Maylene took her loss to Paul hard, and so her Lucario Kiiroha is simply trying to encourage her." Reggie explained

Dawn watched as Kiiroha continued "speaking" to Maylene. I see...she's in the same boat as I am!

Reggie watched as a crowd of fighters crowded around Maylene. "Maylene is well respected as a battler. But her short time as Gym Leader is causing her to have doubts about her fighting abilities."

"I see..." Ash mused as the fighters did their best to console Maylene.

The flash of an Aura Sphere got the group's attention. [My deepest apologies, Reggie...I had to do something to get Maylene to snap out of it.] Kiiroha explained.

Reggie knelt down to Maylene's eye level. "Did my brother upset you by what he said? Tell me the truth."

"Forgive me for interrupting, but what did Paul do to crush Maylene like this?" Ash asked.

"Let me fill you in on the story so far..." Reggie began. "You already know that the Veilstone Gym is a Fighting-type Gym. So Paul brought Flying-type Pokémon to gain a type advantage."

"Okay..." Ash motioned for Reggie to go on.

"Paul's Murkrow Mystic had recently evolved into a Honchkrow. Mystic then took out Kuto, Maylene's Meditite, and Tana, her Machoke in no time flat." Reggie explained. "When Maylene brought out Kiiroha, Paul used a Magmar--I forget what he said its name was. Since Lucario is part Steel, Kiiroha was defeated as fast as Kuto and Tana were.

"I acknowledge and accept responsibility for not doing well." Maylene mused. "Maybe what your brother said was true..."

"What was it that Paul said?" Ash asked.

"He said--and I quote: 'You're the weakest. The weakest leader I ever fought, and this lightweight Badge is just like you'." Maylene replied as hot tears of anger and rage welled up in her eyes.

Reggie watched as Maylene burst into tears, hurrying off towards a nearby pavilion. "My little brother has never been afraid of speaking his mind--sometimes brutally so. If you came to challenge right now, I'm sorry for dragging you into this mess."

"Maybe we need to find another Gym for the time being..." Brock suggested.

"Wait!" Dawn interjected. "Maybe Maylene would open up if another girl talked to her, since I'm in the same boat as her right now."

Kiiroha nodded. [Come on, then--Maylene went towards the Sunrise Pavillion.]

Ash watched Dawn and Kori follow Kiiroha to the pavilion. "Whatever you're planning, Dawn, I hope you get through to her." he mused. "No one should ever be talked to like that--ever!"

---------

Elsewhere, Maylene did her best to calm her emotions as she meditated by a river near the pavilion. "I cannot control everything that happens to me; I can only control the way I respond to what happens. In my response is my power.” she mused.

She took another deep breath. "I will not get caught up in what could’ve been or should’ve been. I will look instead at the power and possibility of what is, right now.” She continued musing the comforting mantras for a while:

"I have to accept whatever comes my way, and the only important thing is that I meet it with the best I have to give.”

"Making mistakes is always better than faking perfections.”

"A challenge only becomes an obstacle if I bow to it.”

A rustle got her attention. "Who is it?"

[It's me.] Kiiroha replied as she arrived with Dawn and Kori. [Miss Dawn has been through similar struggles as you, and feels a one on one talk would help you.]

"Really? Did you receive harsh words after a battle too?" Maylene asked as she invited Dawn to join her.

"Not really--I'm more of a coordinator." Dawn explained. "My mother is a great coordinator, and I wanted to follow in her footsteps. But the road to glory has been rough."

She went on "In a contest, there are three events. The first event has the Pokemon dress up using a box full of random accessories. The second event has the Pokemon dance to a song of their master's choice. The third event--and the hardest--has Pokemon and master work together to make appeals out of the Pokemon's moves. The appeal event is where I struggle--no matter what approach I tried, I lost. All those chokes and flat out losses took their toll. For a little while, I entertained the thought of quitting."

"What spurred you to keep going?" Maylene asked.

"One of my team is a Ralts--she gave me the strength and courage to keep going by reminding me why I'm on this journey." Dawn replied. "She also gave me a few tips on how I can do better next time."

"But, aren't you afraid of holding your friends back?" Maylene asked.

"No--if anything, seeing how Ash and Brock bounce back from a loss has inspired me too." Dawn replied. "They go back and see what went wrong, then go back and work on where they failed."

There was a moment of silence before Dawn asked "Maylene...is it okay if I can battle you? Just so I can see what a Gym battle is like?"

A weak smile formed on Maylene's face. "Okay...I'll give you a taste of battle."

---------

"You know, I think I know where Maylene is coming from, here..." Brock mused as he watched Reggie feed Tintri and Diddy. "Before I focused on being a full time Loremaster, I was once the Gym Leader for my hometown of Pewter City. I can say first hand that it's not easy running the gym. You want every young trainer to succeed. Seeing how crushed some of them get when you beat them makes your heart ache for them too. There's other responsibilities too. Between training, maintaining the Gym, caring for the Pokemon, and publicity, it's no wonder many new Gym Leaders get burnout in the first year. Not all of them, though--a few thrive in the fast paced and intense environment."

"It may be possible that Maylene may be experiencing burnout on top of my little brother's harsh words." Reggie mused. "I hope your companion gets through to her."

He smiled as he petted Diddy. "Your Chimchar reminds me of my little brother's Chimchar, Goku. What do you think of Paul's tactics, since he sees you as a rival?" he asked Ash.

Ash took a few deep breaths to calm himself, then told Reggie "To be honest, I don't agree with Paul's tactics at all. "I believe loving your Pokemon has the potential to unlock the innate power inside of them."

He showed Reggie his Mega Ring. "He says he wants power, but mistreating your Pokemon and working them to the bone isn't the answer. This ring, combined with a Heart Song, creates the ultimate sign of love and trust between trainer and Pokemon--Mega Evolution."

"It's beautiful..." Reggie admired the teardrop-shaped ruby set in white gold. "Do you have any induceable Pokemon?"

"Not currently..." Ash admitted. "I wouldn't mind a Lucario of my own--unless Diddy can Mega Evolve."

Reggie showed Ash a picture of a pure white Infernape with red and gold chest fur that resembled armor and a long torch-like tail. "This is Mega Infernape--I look forward to the day you can show my little brother that!"

"I'll keep on training Diddy, then." Ash smiled.

---------

"Are you sure?" Reggie asked Maylene some time later. "You really want to try battling again?"

"Yes." Maylene replied. "But before I face Ash, I want to give Dawn a taste of battle."

"WHAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT?" everyone gasped.

"Dawn, you're serious about this?" Ash asked. "Battling is way different from a contest."

"I know." Dawn replied. "But I think that win or lose, it would inspire Maylene like everyone inspired me!"

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Interlude: Preparing For Battle

Previously, on Pokemon Shine Diamond...

"Are you sure?" Reggie asked Maylene some time later. "You really want to try battling again?"

"Yes." Maylene replied. "But before I face Ash, I want to give Dawn a taste of battle."

"WHAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT?" everyone gasped.

"Dawn, you're serious about this?" Ash asked. "Battling is way different from a contest."

"I know." Dawn replied. "But I think that win or lose, it would inspire Maylene like everyone inspired me!"

There was a moment of silence on the Gym grounds as everyone waited to see what Maylene's reaction to Dawn's challenge would be. Both Ash and Brock watched with shock and intrigue. Dawn can't be serious, can she? Ash thought. Does that mean she's giving up on her Grand Coordinator dreams to be a trainer? Will I have to face her in the League?

He was snapped when his thoughts when he heard Maylene say "Okay...I accept your challenge, Dawn. It will be a three on three single match. But it would be best for us both if we took some time to prepare for the match."

"That's fair." Dawn replied.

"Well, if you need an idea of how to train, Brock and I can teach you." Ash offered as the group started off towards the west end of the Gym grounds. "I'm sure Tails could teach Kori a few things."

"Sure!" Dawn smiled as she led the way out to an open arena near the pavilion. A sign stood nearby that read "TRAINING GROUNDS".

"Do you have a strategy for this battle at all?" Brock asked as the group arrived in the training grounds. "I can tell you what its strengths and weaknesses are, and how to make it better."

"I'm using Kori since she knows Peck, Satomi for her type advantage, and Lola's Bounce." Dawn explained. "This way, I have Flying, Psychic, and Fairy type moves covering me, since Satomi knows Disarming Voice..."

---------

In another arena, Ash watched as Reggie summoned a large black and white bird Pokemon. "This is Merlo, my Staraptor." he explained. "I wanted to show you a move he knows that may help any bird Pokemon you have."

"Okay..." Ash replied before heaving a Poke Ball skyward. "Estrella, come on out!"

"Eh-streh-yah!" Brock reminded Ash as the Staravia formed in the arena.

Reggie just smiled as he nudged a large rock into place, facing Merlo. "All right Merlo--use Brave Bird!"

Ash watched in awe as Merlo streaked skyward, gaining a bright blue aura on the way up. He then rocketed down and slammed into the rock, breaking it into a million pieces in a fiery explosion. "Wow!" he smiled as he applauded. "That was cool!"

Excited, he fumbled for his Pokedex to read up on Staraptor:

"Staraptor, the predator Pokemon. It has a proud and confident nature. It will courageously challenge foes that are much larger than itself if threatened."

"Wow...so this is what Estrella will become?" Ash mused as he pocketed the Pokedex. "So, can Estrella learn Brave Bird?"

"Yes--but it is not without a risk or two." Reggie explained. "One, there is the chance of recoil damage. Merlo didn't take any before because he is so strong. Two, Estrella may not be able to handle this much power yet. But you are welcome to try."

Ash nodded as Reggie found another rock for him. "Okay, Estrella--try to break that rock with Brave Bird!"

He watched as Estrella streaked skyward, but came twirling back down to the ground minutes later. [I'm sorry, Ash...that was too much.] she wheezed.

"Do you have enough in you to try again?" Ash asked.

[I think I can try again...] Estrella replied. [I just need something to focus on.]

"Maybe a moving target would be better for Estrella's concentration?" Reggie asked as he watched Dawn walk Kori through the move Ice Beam."

"How fast of a target do you need?" Ash asked as he massaged Estrella.

Estrella looked over at Brock. [I might be able to track one of Brock's arrows and break it using Brave Bird.]

"How bout it? You don't mind sacrificing an arrow so Estrella can practice Brave Bird?" Ash asked Brock.

"Not at all--I have millions of the stage arrows." Brock assured Ash. "Estrella's free to break as many of those as she likes."

Ash smiled at his Staravia. "Okay...Brock, go ahead and prepare a shot. Your cue to fire is when Estrella reaches the peak of the skyward charge."

"Right." Brock nodded as he nocked his shot.

Once Brock was prepared to fire, Ash gave Estrella her instructions. "Brock's gonna fire when you reach the peak of the skyward charge, so you should be able to spot the arrow on the way down."

[Got it!] Estrella replied before flying skyward, building up the blue aura on the way.

Brock fired seconds later, and Ash saw the arrow snap into two fiery halves as Estrella came zooming to earth as a winged blue fireball. [I did it!] Estrella screeched as she perched on a rafter near where Ash, Brock, and Reggie stood.

She looked down at Brock. [You're not mad I broke one of your arrows at all?]

"Not at all--they're just props, so break as many of them as you like." Brock smiled. "I have plenty more if I need them."

Reggie smiled as Kori fired an Ice Beam in Dawn's arena. "You know...Ash is what I wish Paul was. I wish Paul was this involved with his team--cheering them when they succeed, comforting them when they fail, and being there to cheer them on every step of the way."

He decided to change the subject as Dawn brought in Satomi. "Is Dawn really going to battle Maylene? Last time I checked, coordinators don't battle."

"Dawn did this to help Maylene's confidence as well as her own." Brock explained as he watched Satomi fire a Psychic blast. "Judging from how seriously she's taking this training day, she could do just that!"

To Be Continued...

Senior Moderator

@Scytherwolf; @Soups;

Episode 51a: Cross the Battle Line! (part 1)

"Doing okay with your training?" Ash asked as he joined Dawn in a guest room on the Gym campus later that evening.

"Yeah...I have Satomi, which is a type advantage." Dawn replied. "Lola knows Bounce, which I hope covers her disadvantage. Most of the time, I taught Kori some ice and flying moves to cover should both of them fall."

Ash nodded. "Sounds like you have an idea of your strategy, at least. Keep in mind that a lot of things are happening on a battlefield, so you need to be able to think on your feet. Your adaptability as a coordinator should help."

"Thanks." Dawn nervously smiled as she climbed into bed. "I wonder...do you ever feel nervous at all the night before a big match?"

"Yes...why?" Ash asked.

"Because I'm feeling nervous too." Dawn replied. "Have I prepared too much? What if I didn't do enough? Am I just going to get clobbered? But the big question is--what am I getting myself into?"

"I've asked myself those questions many a time." Ash replied. "But I keep my worries at bay by telling myself I have prepared as much as I can for this match. Win or lose, there's always something to learn for next time."

He went on "As for what are you getting yourself into, remember this. It's always nerve-wracking when you try something new for the first time. You may get lucky and win on the first try. You may get clobbered no much how much preparation and training you do. You may even get lucky and pull off a win. If it inspires Maylene, you've achieved your goal. If it inspires you to join me in taking on Gyms, that's okay too."

"Thanks...I feel better already." Dawn replied as she pulled up the covers.

A thought occurred to her. "What was that blue fire wave attack you and Estrella were doing?"

"That was a move called Brave Bird." Ash explained as he showed Dawn the move in his Pokedex. "It's a very appealing Cool move for Flying types, that also packs a punch in battle."

"As a former Gym Leader, I can give you a little advice too." Brock began as he joined his companions in the room. "I always wished the best for my opponents, but at the same time challenged them and their teams to be the very best. Being the first stop on Kanto's Gym challenge, I saw quite a lot of new trainers, and they were as nervous as you are. My goal was not to obliterate their teams, but put their strategies and their ability to think fast to the test."

"That makes sense!" Dawn gasped. "Maylene's likely going to do the same thing tomorrow, right?"

Brock nodded. "Remember--she's going to come at you with all she's got. You need to meet her with all you've got in return. If she comes out swinging with raw power, go on the defensive. If she puts up defense, find a way to crack that defense."

Dawn smiled. "Thanks, you guys...I hope to do well tomorrow, and make you both proud!"

---------

A referee's whistle and a gong echoed across the grounds as Maylene's and Dawn's match got underway the next day. "Kuto, let's go!" Maylene called as she summoned a blue and gray humanoid with rounded ears into the Diamond side of the arena.

"Meditite, the meditate Pokemon. It continually meditates for hours every day. As a result of rigorous and dedicated yoga training, it has tempered its spiritual power so much it can fly." Dawn's Pokedex explained.

"Summon a Pokemon, Pearl." The referee snapped Dawn to attention.

"Come on!" Ash called from the sidelines. "You've done your best to get ready, now show Maylene what you've learned!" Brock whistled in agreement.

I've done all I can for this match. Dawn reminded herself as she took a deep breath to ease the Beautiflies in her stomach. Win or lose, I can learn something from this...Maylene doesn't want to obliterate me, but challenge me to be even better.

She then took a Poke Ball. "Lola, let's do this!"

[Let me get a jump on the opposition!] With that, Lola made a large jump into the sky.

"Opening with Bounce--good idea." Brock smiled.

Ash winced as Kuto put up a green aura, making Lola bounce off of it. "...and countered with Detect."

The boys watched as Lola tried to spin away, but was sent flying as Kuto countered with a glowing red-brown fist. "That had to hurt..." Ash noted as Lola landed on the Pearl safety barrier with a KA-WHANG!

"That was Drain Punch." Reggie explained as Dawn watched Lola struggle to get up. "A powerful Fighting move that also takes some of the opponent's life, and heals the user."

"Maybe it wasn't a good idea to start with a Normal type..." Brock mused as Dawn hurried to assess Lola.

In the arena, Dawn hurried to Lola's side. "Lola! Are you okay?"

[That's definitely gonna hurt in the morning...] Lola wheezed as she shakily stood up. [Who knew a little Pokemon could pack that big of a punch?]

"Well, I'm not backing down." Dawn replied. "If you need to retreat, I get that."

[I've got enough left to try one more idea...] Lola replied as she stared down the Meditite on the other end. [It's time for my opponent to chill!]

With that, she fired an Ice Beam, freezing the small humanoid Pokemon solid. "Well! We have a chance to win this after all." Dawn smiled.

"Don't be so sure!" Maylene shot back as Kuto broke free from the ice, sending ice shards at Lola.

"Go Lola!" Ash cheered as Lola weaved around the ice shards in an attempt to build up speed for another Bounce.

He watched in horror as Kuto fired a blue flash of Confusion, sending Lola falling to the ground. "Oh no!"

[Dawn...I'm sorry...] Lola replied as she collapsed on the ground.

To Be Continued...