garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar

PXR Music Reviews!

I like music, and other people on this forum do, so here's a thread to post reviews of albums you want to talk about!

You can make them as detailed or as minimal as you like. Even if it's just a few thoughts about an album, feel free to post them! At the very least, please post the following information:
    Release Name (can be a whole album or song)
    Artist(s)
    Score out of Ten

I'll write a review following this post as an example.

List of Reviews

By Bulbasaur
    Ultralife by Oh Wonder - 8.92
    Aim and Ignite by fun. - 9.2
    Stranger Heads Prevail by Thank You Scientist - 9
    Last edited by Bulbasaur; 05-25-2018 at 04:12 PM.

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Release Name: Ultralife (Album)
    Artist: Oh Wonder
    Score out of Ten: 8.92

This is Oh Wonder's second and latest album. My introduction to this album was the song Heavy. I couldn't have had more perfect of an introduction. The chill yet alive vibe it gives (which is a common theme with Oh Wonder) really impressed me. I quickly checked out more songs off of the album, and while Heavy is still my favorite, the rest of the album did not disappoint me in the slightest. Tracks 2-8 are some of the catchiest songs I've ever heard in my life! The only song that felt a bit weaker to me was Waste, which kind of stinks because it ends the album. But songs like Lifetimes and All About You easily make up for it. If you like chill, fun songs with piano and synthesizers, this is your album!

P.S. If you're wondering about the super accurate scoring, I rated every song on the album out of ten, and then divided the sum of those ratings by the number of songs on the album (12). Here's the individual ratings:
    Spoiler:

Solo: 7
    Ultralife: 10
    Lifetimes: 10
    High on Humans: 10
    All About You: 10
    Heavy: 10
    Bigger Than Love: 10
    Heart Strings: 10
    Slip Away: 7
    Overgrown: 8
    My Friends: 9
    Waste: 6
    Last edited by Bulbasaur; 05-25-2018 at 04:17 PM.

My Links

Release Name: Aim and Ignite (Album)
    Artist: fun.
    Score out of Ten: 9.2

The pop trio fun. are well known for their hit songs We Are Young, Some Nights, and a few others from their second album "Some Nights". People tend to overlook "Aim and Ignite", their first album, which is actually my favorite album by any band to date. The whole album is crazy consistent, and I can truthfully say I love every song on it! If I had to choose a favorite, I would choose Take Your Time (Coming Home), because I think it ends the album pretty much perfectly. Also of note are All the Pretty Girls, a super catchy and bittersweet song, as well as The Gambler, a beautiful ballad. The weakest song in my opinion is I Wanna Be the One, which is still a very good song! I would honestly recommend this album to anyone, but mainly people who love catchy, upbeat songs.

Track Scores:
    Spoiler:

Be Calm: 10
    Benson Hedges: 9
    All the Pretty Girls: 10
    I Wanna Be the One: 8
    At Least I'm Not as Sad (As I Used to Be): 9
    Light a Roman Candle With Me: 8
    Walking the Dog: 10
    Barlights: 8
    The Gambler: 10
    Take Your Time (Coming Home): 10

My Links

Release Name: Stranger Heads Prevail (Album)
    Artist: Thank You Scientist
    Score out of Ten: 9

First listened to these guys when I saw they were opening for Haken, another band I really like. At the time, they had only released one album and an EP. I was hooked from the moment I heard them. The way they fuse progressive rock and fusion (and tons of other influences) make them one of the most unique and creative bands I've ever heard.

Their second album, "Stranger Heads Prevail" came out when I was on vacation. I downloaded the album on Amazon Prime, not expecting it to be better than their first album since it seemed perfect already. Boy, I was wrong. The first track, Prologue: A Faint Applause... was an instant hit for me. My only issue with it is the fact that it's on two minutes long! I will admit some tracks took a while to grow on me though, most notably Caverns. But most of them clicked right away, like my two favorite tracks Psychopomp and The Amateur Arsonist's Handbook.

This album is a case where I would not recommend based on the genre. However, the complex instrumentals might turn some people off, so I'd recommend it to anyone that doesn't mind them. To me, it's a hit or miss depending on the person. But if it hits, it's a big hit.

Track Scores:
    Spoiler:

Prologue: A Faint Applause...: 10
    The Somnambulist: 9
    Caverns: 9
    Mr. Invisible: 9
    A Wolf in Cheap Clothing: 9
    Blue Automatic: 8
    Need More Input: 10
    Rube Goldberg Variations: 10
    Psychopomp: 10
    The Amateur Arsonist's Handbook: 10
    ...Epilogue: And the Clever Depart: 5

Note: I might review some more music later, so I'll just edit them into this post.

My Links

Release Name: Little Wing
    Artist: Jimi Hendrix
    Score out of Ten: 9

Jimi Hendrix is my favorite artist of all time, and this is my favorite song of his. The rhythm, the pacing, and the tone of his voice just blends together to create one of the more beautiful songs I can remember hearing.

Jimi explained what the song is about here:
    Jimi explained the backstory to “Little Wing” in a 1968 interview with a Swedish writer. “It’s based on a very, very simple Indian style,” he said. “I got the idea when we were in Monterey and I was just lookin' at everything around. So I figured that I take everything I’d see around and put it maybe in the form of a girl, or something like that, and call it ‘Little Wing,’ and then it will just fly away.”
    I think it's a great idea to the song, trying to put everything into one form. It comes out beautifully and peacefully.

The only downfall to this song is how short it is.