• Sports

0 0%
  • MMO

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Favorite videogame genre?

With how intermixed game genres have become recently, I apologize in advance if I didn't include your favorite genre in the poll. Here is my reasoning behind each option:

Platformer: Any game where your character's abilities are more or less set in stone, and levels tend to involve lots of jumping, traversing terrain and obstacles.
    E.g. Mario Bros, Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, etc.

Action-Adventure: Wasn't really sure how to describe this one since so many games fall under this category. Usually involves finding upgrades and abilities for your character over the course of the game, and may or may not require backtracking to progress. I think sandbox survival games like Minecraft would also fall under this genre
    e.g. Zelda, Metroid, Assassin's Creed, etc.

Shooter: pew pew shoot the guns and become #1 on the leaderboard
    e.g. Battlefield, Counter-Strike, Splatoon, Team Fortress, Overwatch, etc.

JRPG: Games where your characters fight random encounters, gain experience points, and gain increases to points in various stats upon leveling up. Usually turn-based, with a dramatic, linear storyline.
    e.g. Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Persona, etc.

WRPG: Your characters also gain experience points and increase their skills, but these games are far more action-oriented. Storyline is usually less linear than JRPGs
    e.g. Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, etc.

Strategy: You, the commander, are in charge of a large number of units, which you have to carefully maneuver or issue commands to in order to achieve your goal. I lumped both real-time and turn based strategy together here, along with MOBAs, despite them often being wildly different games, as I feel it would otherwise be stretched too thin within this poll
    e.g. Fire Emblem, Starcraft, Civilization, Final Fantasy Tactics, League of Legends, etc.

Fighting: Usually involves a 1 on 1 fight between two powerful characters, with exaggerated and over-the-top attacks
    e.g. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Soulcalibur, Super Smash Bros., etc.

Sports: Simulates various sports. May be comically satirized in some cases
    e.g. Madden, FIFA, Rocket League, Mario Kart, etc.

MMO: Massively Multiplayer Online games. Usually have a persistent world, with hundreds of players playing at the same time
    e.g. World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XIV, Eve Online, etc.

Anyways, for my opinion: While I grew up largely playing JRPGs, Counter-Strike and Zelda, I slowly began to acquire a taste for strategy games. First I picked up Advance Wars on a whim, then later tried out Fire Emblem as they were made by the same company. Fell in love instantly. While those kinds of games can be really frustrating at times, it's just so rewarding when you finally conquer that one really tough map and can tell the computer to shove it. XCOM 2 is probably my favorite game as of the time of writing this post. And you should play it.

Honorable mention to Starcraft - the game is far too hard and stressful for me to play at any level above Silver on ladder, but it's really fun to watch. Those crazy koreans with their gosu micro amirite

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I'm heavily into shooters. The number of hours I have plugged into Battlefield 4 is just... wowzors, but that game just feels like an awesome nonstop action movie and I'm such a junkie for that kind of thing. It gets even better when you make your own music playlist for it and dump in the soundtrack of every action movie you've ever known. Seriously, the soundtrack for Con Air, Transformers, and The Dark Knight go great with it! And I pluck a few goodies from other games and stuff.

But yeah, as an action freak, that's definitely my usual genre, but I'm very open to many others and have a pretty wide collection of stuff.

Super major weakness for platformers. I spent my entire childhood drowning in both 2D and 3D platformers and to this day they're still some of my favourite games (Kirby and Sonic being honourable mentions).
    I do like other genres though, like I don't mind certain JRPGs/WRPGs (I love Skyrim), nor do I mind action-adventure games. I'm just not as good at other genres as I am at platformers.

Miles // he/him // INFP. ☆|☆ I draw every so often.

Senior Moderator

I am a sucker for a good RPG, but I also have a soft spot for platformers, puzzle, rhythm, and racing games.
    Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Mine would be rhythm games, but that's not on the poll, so I picked strategy!

Also, gonna move this over to the Media Hall, since video game discussion belongs there. :D

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Platformer, Action-Adventure and (Survival) Horror games mostly. But as long as I like the game I'm playing, I don't really care about its genre.

I adore rpgs. Both JRPGs and WRPGS are pretty even, but my love for the Elder Scrolls series and the Fallout series gives my vote to WRPGs

"I was stupid... So stupid"
    I have yet to meet a turn based strategy game I haven't instantly falled in love with. That said, I do like rhythm games a lot too. Platformers and JRPGs would be tied for third, in general I like any game where you collect things, so games Like Spyro, Pokemon,Golden Sun, etc.

WRPGs, given how much time I've sunk into them. I've got thousands of hours on Fallout 3, hundreds on New Vegas and Fallout 4. On top of hundreds of hours from Skyrim and Oblivion. I never get tired of these titles.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

As much as I enjoy JRPGs, action adventure and strategy are probably some of my favorites. I like dynamic storylines with complex gameplay that goes beyond mindless grinding. While pokemon is great to relax, I’ll always pick something like legend of Zelda over Pokémon if I can.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire