Thread: Statusupdate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Statusupdate

Status updates have become a fairly common thing on the web, and I have seen them work on forums..regarding keeping a small community a little more day-to day active they do an excellent job. Don't know if such a thing will work with whatever software this forum uses, or what conflicts may arouse with some forum themes but I remember seeing it put to good use on IPB forums. Basically like many other sites there's just an option to post a current status, something maybe you could post in some thread but it's minor. "Currently hunting Celesteela!" might be one "feeling ______-about the new ___:" just in little updates as opposed to only posts in threads and blogs. A short character limit and them appearing on the right side in a little seperate bar, perhaps the last five or so.

It's a good thing if you can get it to work..I'm not exactly an expert on the ins and outs of that...I've just witnessed be a good thing in the past.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I'm open to adding status updates, however I think we would want to avoid adding any columns to the side of the forum as it looks a bit disorganised and is also bad on mobile. So we'd have to place them somewhere else.

Having a look around, there aren't many options for status updates for vBulletin... We could add them to a user's postbit but it might get a bit cluttered. That seems to be the only real option I can find at the moment... I'm not sure if there is a way to display them elsewhere as there doesn't seem to be any plugins or anything, even to put them in a sidebar as you suggested. I'm open to suggestions though. :)

Thanks for posting! @Matdo
    GCEA

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    I'm open to adding status updates, however I think we would want to avoid adding any columns to the side of the forum as it looks a bit disorganised and is also bad on mobile. So we'd have to place them somewhere else.

Having a look around, there aren't many options for status updates for vBulletin... We could add them to a user's postbit but it might get a bit cluttered. That seems to be the only real option I can find at the moment... I'm not sure if there is a way to display them elsewhere as there doesn't seem to be any plugins or anything, even to put them in a sidebar as you suggested. I'm open to suggestions though. :)

Thanks for posting! @Matdo
    Hey Sarah, I can try making a plugin to do this. :]

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur View Post
    Hey Sarah, I can try making a plugin to do this. :]
    Where do you think we should put them though? :o
    GCEA

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
    Where do you think we should put them though? :o
    Hmm, good point. Maybe right under join date/location/posts?

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Site Editor

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur View Post
    Hmm, good point. Maybe right under join date/location/posts?
    That's easy enough with the plugins we already have, but I don't really want to put them in postbits, it's too cluttered. :(
    GCEA