Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar

History

Do you like knowing the history of things, such as your home country, a website or a sport?

It really depends for me. Knowing the history of the USA seems pointless to me, and I disagree with it being a subject in school. However, I love reading about the history of bands, music genres and other music-related topics.

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

I wouldn't mind a year or two of US history, but having to relearn the same things over and over again each year really makes it dull.

I really wish we covered more world history and stuff like that. Rather than the Civil War year after year, more on things like World War I and II would have been nice to know. I swear I think video games have educated me more in that than school did. o.o

Administrator

I'm not the biggest history buff. I usually did terrible in those classes. I can't even remember when certain events took place. Only one I remember really well is WWII mostly thanks to CoD World at War. It got me looking more and more into things and interested about things that happened and what Germany tried doing and the secret lore behind certain things they wanted to try doing.

So yeah like Neo said. I feel like video games did a better job educating me there

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Unbowed, unbent, unbroken Homura's Avatar
    I like to know it if it's actually useful to know, rather than just being trivia.
    What is happiness?
    It's being called by someone
    It's being able to call someone
    It's when someone is thinking of you
    But Heaven has none of this
    A lizard girl took pity on God
    So the lizard girl tore God in two and brought a half from Heaven to Earth

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

I'm currently sitting in a class that is church history (I'm studying ministry at uni). At first I thought it'd bore me, but it has actually been interesting, seeing the influences that has lead to the common belief today.

I'm a huge nerd for history, particularly US history and 20th century history. There are so many events and stories to learn about and learn from. America is relatively young compared to a lot of countries around the world, but it still has some amazing tales.

It's interesting in general yeah, but I am not an expert. I find some world war history things interesting.

Where I live has some interesting history too; the province was one of the original ones in the very first iteration of basically "Canada" and my hometown was the site of the largest man-made explosion prior to WW2. Then there's also legends about places, like the Oak Island money pit which is in this province as well.

As far as the history of other random things I'm a huge nerd for the fictional history of Tolkien's world, and I find the history of the professional wrestling industry to be pretty cool (unique carny artform that has evolved and has survived for over 100 years now)

I like knowing the history of topics I am interested in to see how such knowledge came to be, and where forks in the road gave way to divisions of such understanding.

Case in point, seeing the history of the Pokemon franchise allows us to see how & why certain features were included & excluded in each successive generation, and also gives way to discussing inspiration for future releases.

In the case of geopolitics, having some knowledge of the history of reality could allow one to be less manipulated by political actors that would most likely serve you a bill of goods for their benefit.

I suppose another way to state the significance of historical knowledge would be to increase one's awareness of the present situation, and help one to make future choices with less unnecessary suffering.

growing strong Pokemon Trainer Sarah's Avatar
    Site Editor

Senior Administrator

I've never been interested in human history at all. But I like the history of the earth and evolution and life and the universe!
    GCEA

For better or worse, human history could be considered an integral part of the history of absolute existence---especially in this day & age.
    3DS Information
    Mii Name: Sir Nick
    Friend Code 0817-4646-8596

Pokemon X
    In-Game Name: Nick
    Friend Safari Type: Rock (Boldore // Corsola // Rhydon)

Pokemon Ultra Sun
    In-Game Name: Nick

Social Media Handles
    Discord CrimsonMajestic#1123
    Twitter SirSpur
    Instagram SirSpur
    Gab.ai SirSpur
    Diaspora SirSpur