garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar

Favorite musical instrument?

What musical instrument is your favorite? What is that based on?

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

I came in like a wrecking ball... [Desolate Divine]'s Avatar
    Senior Moderator

I have been playing guitar for fourteen years now, and am by far more competent on that than anything else.

BUT I gotta say I enjoy piano more now. I have played that for about five or six years, and am completely self taught, but am improving, and am starting to reach the point where I am playing fairly proficiently. In all honestly, learning piano has made me a better musician than guitar could.

I think part of the reason I enjoy piano so much is how much can be done with a single instrument. On guitar, I can play lead, chords, sometimes both at once, but mostly switching between the two quick enough that it seems the same. Or I can play chords, with some cool bass stuff over the top, but even then, I am limited.

Meanwhile on piano I can play cool melodies, whilst playing chords, and running a bassline at the same time. I can create a full sounding piece on piano, whilst guitar I serve as a part that needs a group.

3. This post has been liked by:

garlic bread champion Bulbasaur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Desolate Divine View Post
    I have been playing guitar for fourteen years now, and am by far more competent on that than anything else.

BUT I gotta say I enjoy piano more now. I have played that for about five or six years, and am completely self taught, but am improving, and am starting to reach the point where I am playing fairly proficiently. In all honestly, learning piano has made me a better musician than guitar could.

I think part of the reason I enjoy piano so much is how much can be done with a single instrument. On guitar, I can play lead, chords, sometimes both at once, but mostly switching between the two quick enough that it seems the same. Or I can play chords, with some cool bass stuff over the top, but even then, I am limited.

Meanwhile on piano I can play cool melodies, whilst playing chords, and running a bassline at the same time. I can create a full sounding piece on piano, whilst guitar I serve as a part that needs a group.
    This is a nice point! I have to say though, skilled guitar (and even bass guitar) players can play chords and basslines at the same time through fingerpicking or tapping. That's why my pick will be bass guitar. Sure, it doesn't do much in the hands of an amateur, but the things people like Victor Wooten can do on a bass is crazy! In the past few years I've been working on solo bass technique, and you can get some cool sounds through that.

☄♥ Happily paired with ninjaskarmory ♥☄
    My Links

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Guitar, even though I don't know how to play it. There's many different varieties and they're easily versatile when it comes to adapting to different genres of music.

But yeah, if I had to pick an instrument to learn, it would be that.

6. This post has been liked by: