Page 292 of 513 FirstFirst ... 192242282290291292293294302342392 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,920 of 5121
    Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Ehhh, okay, I'll give it another go. But Star Wars... yeah, I'm done there. Every new movie feels like a further step down from the last one. But at least the Marvel movies still seem quite good despite how many they've cranked out.

2. This post has been liked by:

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

I’ve actually quite liked the newer Star Wars films. Rogue One, while not part of the new trilogy, is my favorite, but even if they aren’t storytelling wise very smooth, visually they’re phenomenal enough that I can ignore the lapses in the story because visually it is stunning. Screw the science behind whether or not lightspeed could actually rip a ship in half, it looked AMAZING and it’s a fictional universe so I don’t give a flying flip.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Administrator

I still haven't seen the new one. Gotta try watching that before the next one. I didn't really like Episode 7 either. I mean it's mostly just setup for the plot, but yeah. I gotta at least give it a shot.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Senior Administrator

Hate to say it, but Episode 8 is even worse than 7. It's just one long space chase in slow motion... which doesn't make sense in a Star Wars setting...

I'm not a big fan of Rey and Kylo Ren either. They feel very flat in comparison to Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader. The whole thing just feels very forced (no pun intended) and just seems like an afterthought just to keep the franchise going. In the previous Star Wars movies, you really want the Rebellion to win. Now it's like eh, who cares? It just doesn't feel like that reason to root for the main characters exists anymore.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Hm maybe that’s because you grew up with the originals? So there might be a nostalgia factor to it that you’re not considering? Because for me Rey and Kyle are very dynamic and interesting characters. Sure it’s not Luke versus Darth Vader but I think the whole point to their characters is to not be the same as their predecessors. I’d rank Episode 7 and 8 higher than the original trilogy because imo they’re a lot better. Sure they don’t have Han Solo but I still think they’re very good.

I’ve noticed a trend that people who have been long time fans of the Star Wars franchise are very dissatisfied with the new movies. And that’s fair, you’re entitled to your opinions, but I think I’ve only actually met one fan of the originals that likes the new films. Everyone else has hated them. And personally I think it’s because nostalgia has made people have too high expectations for the films. And I mean, come on, y’all saw the disaster of episodes 1-3. You should at least be thankful these aren’t those. But nothing will ever be the original trilogy. And these films aren’t meant to be that. They’re a new set of heroes, for a new generation. And sure the films have nods for the older fans, but overall if you’ve seen episodes 7 and 8 and you’ve seen what happens to specific members of the cast, then you should realize, this isn’t meant for you. It’s meant for new fans like me who never really had an interest in Star Wars before. Sure, I watched the cartoon series but prior to Episode 7’s announcement I had zero intention of watching ANY of the original Star Wars films. It introduced me to a world much more expansive beyond the two prequel cartoons. And I’ll be candid, I personally think the original films are weak when compared to the newer films like Rogue One and Episodes 7 and 8.

Spoilers for episode 8 below:
    Spoiler:
    And really, the ending of Episode 8 should have been a solid indicator that this is catered towards newer fans not old ones. The killing off almost all the original cast should’ve been a good first indicator, but the ending scene of episode 8, where the boy uses the force to pull the broom to him, that’s your biggest sign. It’s a new generation. It’s a new story. It is not what came before. There will always be new generations and new stories. It will never be what came before. And shouldn’t expect that of it. Don’t go into the film with your nostalgia goggles or any expectations. Go in with an open mind and find SOMETHING to enjoy in it. The graphics are wonderful, the characters are all dynamic and entertaining, there’s new creatures and places to learn and hear about. Hell LEIA CAN USE THE FORCE AND NO ONE CARES? Who cares if they brought up fuel, what did you think the ships ran on? Nothing??? Fuel exists in one form or another and you’re an idiot to think that these ships didn’t have some form of fuel. I’m actually pretty sure they brought it up in the cartoons a few times! New fans certainly don't care. They're enjoying the new story with ice foxes and epic showdowns while most of the older fans I've spoken to are bogged down in the details of how a ship going at lightspeed can't split another ship in half.

My point is, YOU may not have a reason to root for the rebellion anymore, but I do. YOU have Luke and Skywalker, I have Rey and Kylo. YOU had the original trilogy, I have this one.

This trilogy was not meant for old fans. It’s a new generation meant for new fans. And there will always be new stories, for new generations of fans. In a decade, who knows, a new trilogy will come out, and it won't be meant for you or for me, but for someone else who has yet to experience Star Wars yet and needs that introduction into a franchise they may come to love. But the problem is, if you keep bashing the new films and don't appreciate them, you're going to make newer fans who like these new films MORE than the originals feel unwelcome.
    Last edited by Noblejanobii; 05-22-2019 at 01:12 AM.
    / / / / / / / /

Senior Administrator

I have to say, Episodes 1-3 get progressively worse each additional time you watch them. XD But that said, I agree with you that 7 and 8 are at least better than those. Ugh, I swear, Jar-Jar is an abomination.

And I'm okay with them, but just not thrilled about them. But the twist thing is I liked Rogue One and that's one of the newer-ish Star Wars movies. The look and feel of that felt more akin to what Star Wars is all about. And you're right, logically, they could keep going on forever with this franchise if they really wanted to. My thing is I feel I've hit the point where I'm just not interested in sticking with the franchise anymore. It was good for a while and I have no regrets about spending the time and money watching them, but I think I've had my fill.

Senior Moderator

Hope does not exist in the Stars. They dangle a glimmer and brutally rip it asunder right before your eyes. They made so many mistakes. THE GLIMMER is Rogue One. That movie is a EFFING GEM.

Rogue One was beautiful. Now, give me back my extended universe, and make more movies like Rogue One. Not 1-3 or 7&8, enough of that gutfest.

Sincerely, a salty stubborn Star Wars fan

·»Your focus determines your reality«·

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
    I have to say, Episodes 1-3 get progressively worse each additional time you watch them. XD But that said, I agree with you that 7 and 8 are at least better than those. Ugh, I swear, Jar-Jar is an abomination.

And I'm okay with them, but just not thrilled about them. But the twist thing is I liked Rogue One and that's one of the newer-ish Star Wars movies. The look and feel of that felt more akin to what Star Wars is all about. And you're right, logically, they could keep going on forever with this franchise if they really wanted to. My thing is I feel I've hit the point where I'm just not interested in sticking with the franchise anymore. It was good for a while and I have no regrets about spending the time and money watching them, but I think I've had my fill.
    They may, but Obi-Wan vs Anakin translated to English using Japanese dub is the best thing ever from Episode 3. JarJar is an abomination, but this? This is pure gold. Academy Award acting skills to the max. XD

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

"I was stupid... So stupid"
    Episode 1 is the best pre-disney start wars film. There's the right balence between action and story, the fight scene at the end is great, and Qui-Gon is the best star wars character.

I'm not so sure about episode 8. I liked parts but disliked others. The battle on the last planet at the end felt tacked on, but it had the Vulptex, which are the best thing to come out of Star Wars as a whole.
    General Hux was made way too much of a wimp though. And the jokes felt forced.

Then again, I'm not what you'd call a classic Star Wars fan. I hate Luke Skywalker, he's a whiny brat who does nothing of any use, and Episode 5 is by far the worst, just a dragged out training montage where nothing is gained at the end.
    Best things to come of the original trillogy is the Bad Lip Reading versions.

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Unfortunately that extended universe is probably never coming back. Not when Disney can develop their own universe as they see fit.
    / / / / / / / /