Page 467 of 513 FirstFirst ... 367417457465466467468469477 ... LastLast
Results 4,661 to 4,670 of 5121
    The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Candidly I wouldn't put it past her to either drive to DC to check on me or call the police but we'll see.
    / / / / / / / /
    Double Agents with Suicune's Fire

Cheers and good times! Neo Emolga's Avatar
    Senior Administrator

Well, there's always declaring independence and filing restraining orders if it really gets to be too much to bear. :P

But yeah, she needs to wake up and realize you're not her pet.

Administrator

Yeah there's no way you should have to put up with that your entire life. It's like having a set bedtime and home by this time set kinda thing. You're out doing things to better your life and career. She shouldn't have to tell you this or that, yet she thinks she has full say so in YOUR choices.

I'd say let her call the police. Too many false alarms and they'll penalize her. She'd be forced to stop.

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Nah yeah but ideally I don't want to get SWATed even once because there are cases of parents doing that to their kids.
    / / / / / / / /

Administrator

What would she even think or say if I did go to meet you one of these days? That's assuming we did a day you had time. Would I need to have a way to defend myself?

Yeah there needs to be some kind of precaution for police calls like that for sure

The time is upon us...

. Pika Pair with the yellow bundle of fluff Chibi Altaria..

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Noblejanobii View Post
    Nah yeah but ideally I don't want to get SWATed even once because there are cases of parents doing that to their kids.
    Yeah, I remember seeing that happen to a guy who was live streaming. Not pretty.

I have a feeling because of these incidents, one of these days things may change and callers may have to be validated before they can be taken seriously. Can't just go and have people get SWATTED over petty reasons unless the caller can be held liable if it's a false claim.

What is SWAT ing? It's an acronym, right? I'm guessing it's an American thing?
    Sounds pretty bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    Sounds pretty bad!
    Yeah, it's a thing where someone watching a stream will call the police on a streamer, who sends in SWAT to basically raid their house. Super dangerous and really not the nicest thing

Senior Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    Sounds pretty bad!
    SWAT stands for Special Weapons And Tactics. In a nutshell, it's a more advanced and special police force usually sent to address highly dangerous hostage and terrorist situations. In cases like that, they'll break through windows, smash doors down, and come barging in with assault rifles and full riot gear in case they encounter heavy resistance and armed criminals that retaliate. These guys are highly trained to go in and secure a perimeter as quickly and as effectively as possible. You do not want to be on the receiving end of that.

SWATing someone is becoming a very nasty trend where if you really want to absolutely ruin someone's day and give them a serious scare (not to mention cause property damage), you make an anonymous call, claim some highly dangerous situation like a hostage crisis or bomb threat is going off at the address where your intended target is, and hang up. Currently, it's standard police protocol to take every claim called in seriously, so yeah, doing that will result in a bunch of highly armed and trained special police officers breaking their way in, holding the SWAT victim at gunpoint, and searching through the entire area to make sure beyond all reasonable doubt that there is no actual threat.

I remember watching a video of a guy who was simply streaming himself playing a game to a viewer audience, and some horrible excuse of a person SWATed him, resulting in a SWAT team breaking their way into every room, and then eventually into the room where he was on his computer, streaming the video. He was forced to put his hands up as the SWAT team searched the area and made sure there were no threats. All the while, they had several rifles pointed as his head while he had his face down on the desk as they searched him to make sure he wasn't carrying any weapons.

Thing is, the police won't reimburse the owner for property damage caused this way. The other thing is that it's HIGHLY dangerous. God forbid you suddenly make the wrong move in front of these guys and they interpret it as a potentially threatening response and open fire as a result. Meanwhile, it uses a lot of police resources that should be dedicated toward real crisis situations. And at the same time, too many false alarms like this results in guards being let down and that's also extremely dangerous.

Yeah, unfortunately this is the kind of world we live in where people do these things... :(

The Queen of Shaymin
    Site Editor

Administrator

Yeah they pretty much explained it. You can do it to lesser extents too which is what I've seen other people do where they'll claim someone is being held hostage or something.
    / / / / / / / /